Switch, mongo, fakie and nollie.

• Thread starter zoxxy
  • 255 comments
mongo is just wierd. my brother used to but he made the switch.

my brother finally got a new setup, he is going to start skating again so it won't just be me anymore <8- )
I bought a set of autobahn wheels (i had a set back when they first came out and they were ok) just some 52 mil. ones and a set of..............Swiss Bones, the ceramic ones! i had some a long time ago and they were probably the best bearings i have ever riden on.

blargonator
mongo is just wierd. my brother used to but he made the switch.

my brother finally got a new setup, he is going to start skating again so it won't just be me anymore <8- )
I bought a set of autobahn wheels (i had a set back when they first came out and they were ok) just some 52 mil. ones and a set of..............Swiss Bones, the ceramic ones! i had some a long time ago and they were probably the best bearings i have ever riden on.

Holy crap, that must've cost a fortune! Autobahn's AND Swiss Bones! :drool:

ugh.....yeah took a big chunk out of my giftcard i got for x-mas <8- (
most of the wheels cost the same amount at our local shop but the bearings really did the damage. they are probably the only bearings i have ever used that you can actually tell the difference really easily.

blargonator
ugh.....yeah took a big chunk out of my giftcard i got for x-mas <8- (
most of the wheels cost the same amount at our local shop but the bearings really did the damage. they are probably the only bearings i have ever used that you can actually tell the difference really easily.

Somewhat pointless however... You'll eventually find out how fast bearings wear out (regardless of brand), and that buying expensive bearings is just a waste of money... I go down to my local shop and get 3 sets of bearings for the same price you payed for the Swiss Bones... As long as they're not uber cheapos, and you take care of them (take them out of the wheels and grease them every so often), you will get the same results as you are getting with the Swiss Bones, and when they wear out you'll have an extra few sets lying around... Now, before you say anything, I have had a few sets of Swiss Bones (ceramic and non-ceramic), and they are nice, but not really worth the money... There isn't a single trick I can't do with bargain bearings... I go just as fast, as with expensive bearings...

Just my .02 cents...

Now go skate!

;)

I have China Bones and I really need to do something about them, they're not as fast as they should be, I'd say they need a good clean or something.

BMW318_DRIFTER
I have China Bones and I really need to do something about them, they're not as fast as they should be, I'd say they need a good clean or something.

I have the same problem. :ouch: Altough I have a pair of SKF's that's self lubing. But I don't really think they roll at all.

Btw, when you just spin your wheel with your hand i.e. not rolling on the ground, does the time it spins reflect how good it rolls at ground? :ouch:

Mine definately doesn't. Mine spins really well with my hand but not at all when I'm on it.

yeah, pretty much all bearings end up in the bag of stuff that i might have to use later <8- P

yeah, bargain bearings do get the job done, but it usually puts me in a bad mood if one freezes up at a bad time or simply explodes <8- P my brother had some bearings that we just called exploders, i think they were FKDs but i don't remember.

hahaha i also remember when he got some new independent trucks and the baseplate broke, then he got a free replacement, then the replacement broke, i think it happened 2 more times :lol:

that reminds me, i have to post pictures of a old steve cab deck my brother bought a few years back.

I'm considering buying a new board. I need something to motivate me to start again and now my friend has his license so we can skate at better spots too. I'll probably buy an Element board of some sort.

Yeah, blargnator, I had a set of FKDs for about a week, then one day I was pedaling as fast as I could...then one of them exploded. It hurts when bearings explode. And BMW318 you probably know this, but don't you think buying a board should be based on your own tastes and style? well as far as I'm concerned as long as you don't get World Industries, Hookups, or blind you should be ok, mostly because I don't like them, but they also break really easily. I like Zero, Element, Girl, Blacklabel, anyway your probably tired of reading this so I'm gonna shut up.

I have a World Industries now but it's the pre-target ones when they were actually a skate brand. I'd love a Zero board but for some odd reason they're like $30 bucks more here, I'd love a girl too but they're not really around here.

BMW318_DRIFTER
I have a World Industries now but it's the pre-target ones when they were actually a skate brand. I'd love a Zero board but for some odd reason they're like $30 bucks more here, I'd love a girl too but they're not really around here.

My friend's got a Girl, but I really prefer my own Zero deck, since the Girl is all stiff and heavy. It jsut doesn't feel right. It's probably worth it to buy a deck from the states since they cost about 30$ on the net. You might have to wait a couple of weeks, but you save a shxtload of money.

The Bad:

Chocolate
Girl
Alien Workshop
World Industries (all break easy)

Element (weird shaped decks)

The Good:

Seek
Habitat
Black Label
Birdhouse
Zoo York
Supreme (only available if you live in NYC)
Manik

Seek makes my favorite boards... Lightweight and good shape... They sometimes break a bit quick, but to me it's worth it for the perfect shape, and weight...

;)

huh?! i thought seek is dead. i bought one and yeah it snapped quickly but it was nice while it lasted......but i can't handle breaking a board in 2 weeks. seek, habitat, and alien are the same, atleast they used to be. they changed not too long ago so i don't know how the quality is.

the 2 best boards i have EVER had were alien boards. they were those HGP white board, they are fully dipped in a pretty plain non gloss white paint and then obviously they have graphics on the bottom. i had one for months and it felt brand new the whole time.

yeah, chocolate and girl boards feel mushy the whole time and they have wierd concaves.

i had a zero dying to live deck, it was nice but a little heavy for my taste. it was nuts how strong it was though. i knew it was getting close to its last days so i was trying front lips down the little rail at our park, i landed one but i cracked like 3 plys on the one i landed <8- P

sorry my posts are so long, i usually go off on a tangent <8- P
anyway, do you guys like boards that have the same size nose and tail? i hate having a small side

I don't really care if the nose and tail are different sizes, because chances are I'm going to skate it until there is no more nose and tail. btw; last time I skated a girl it never lost its pop, and it skated perfect till the day I snapped it.

blargonator
huh?! i thought seek is dead. i bought one and yeah it snapped quickly but it was nice while it lasted......but i can't handle breaking a board in 2 weeks. seek, habitat, and alien are the same, atleast they used to be. they changed not too long ago so i don't know how the quality is.

They are dead...

Habitat is an offshoot of Alien Workshop, but the boards are designed by somenoe entirely different... Seek is not an offshoot, but rather a company started by 3 Alien Workshop/Habitat pro skaters... So, Seek boards are different still...

the 2 best boards i have EVER had were alien boards. they were those HGP white board, they are fully dipped in a pretty plain non gloss white paint and then obviously they have graphics on the bottom. i had one for months and it felt brand new the whole time.

I hated those boards... They were too heavy, and had a weird shape, as with all Alien boards...

anyway, do you guys like boards that have the same size nose and tail? i hate having a small side

Interesting question... Most all boards have a different size nose and tail, despite how alike they may look... I like my boards to be pretty close to equal on both sides, but I would never want a completely equal deck...

;)

Does anyone have any opinions on Enjoi boards? They're popping up around here lately and I've never seen anyone around her on them.

I want a board that will stay stiff, not have the wood deaden on me.

i had one. not great, but not awful.

i have always been told boards that come from the same distributor are generally made from the same materials so things like girl and chocolate are basically the same except maybe some simple changes.

yeah, i don't want exact equal nose and tails, but i don't want a 3/4 inch difference.
i was looking on the AWS site today and looking at the specifications, now i just have to wait till our shop gets some. apparently AWS (alien workshop) is selling pretty well again and girl is slowing down in sales, alteast our little area.

i will ask the shop owner about distributors and etc. next time i go, he has been in it for quite a long time.

BMW318_DRIFTER
Does anyone have any opinions on Enjoi boards? They're popping up around here lately and I've never seen anyone around her on them.

They're not bad... Better than some other companies...

BTW, you have to compromise on the stiffness, lightness of a board... Black Labels will hold their stiffness for a long time, but because of that they are heavy... Zoo York boards are light, but break fast sometimes... You just can't have both... Personally, I tend to go for the lighter boards, as they are much easier to pop, and flip... Heavy boards just drive me up the wall...

;)

Then wouldn't it depend on your style of skating? like just plain street skating, all that wierd technical stuff etc. the reason I skate Zero is because I'm into the whole big gap thing and zeros seem to be notoriously sturdy. Also, since I'm short and skinny the whole heavy board thing just kinda evens it's self out.

driftmunkee
Then wouldn't it depend on your style of skating? like just plain street skating, all that wierd technical stuff etc. the reason I skate Zero is because I'm into the whole big gap thing and zeros seem to be notoriously sturdy.

If you will look at my skate pics, you will see I am very much into huge gaps, which a heavy board is going to hindere quite a bit... Just make sure you land over the hardware, and there's not much to worry about...

Also, since I'm short and skinny the whole heavy board thing just kinda evens it's self out.

What?... That's some interesting logic... How would a heavy board make up for you being shorty and skinny?... That's just nonsense, my friend...

If you like heavy boards, then, by all means... I know a lot of people that prefer heavy boards... Personally, I prefer lighter boards, because they are easier to do anything with... Be it street, vert, whatever (of which I do both)... Furthermore, they teach you how to focus on landing on the hardware, to stop breaking your boards... I go through so many boards a year, it just wouldn't make any sense to go for a heavier board... It's not going to last much longer, if at all, then the lighter boards, especially how hard I skate... I would rather have a board that is user friendly and easy to pop...

Once again, it's all personal prefference, but a light board is always going to be easier to get to do what you want it to do... The only reason to get a heavier board is if you are trying to make it last longer...

;)

yeah, its all prefrence. i don't bother thinking about my weight or anything like that, i just get something i like.

remember, always look down the board to make sure its not warped, nothing sucks more than a crappy warped board <8- (

any of you guys ever ride a libtech board? my cousin has had the same one for like 4 years (he does not skate much though) but it feels just like it did when it was brand new......crappy.

have you guys ever seen the aesthetics video ride or die volume 1? i watched it last night (its pretty old now i guess) but it was really cool, it was like 20 minutes and it was not all "hammers" it was just smooth tricks and lines. i forgot how good rob welsh is.

blargonator
have you guys ever seen the aesthetics video ride or die volume 1? i watched it last night (its pretty old now i guess) but it was really cool, it was like 20 minutes and it was not all "hammers" it was just smooth tricks and lines. i forgot how good rob welsh is.

I've heard that it was kinda gnarly, but I haven't seen it.

The next deck i but will probably be one of these. My firends got one and it's light, has an über pop and a nice and mellow concave making it last. :D

But the first thing on my list is new wheels. Any suggestions?

ah, a fallen board? i have not heard much about them.

personally i like autobahns, they are kind of hard, AWS wheels are ok too, i had a set of Quattros and they were alright.

hahaha yeah.....i forgot to ask, do any of you guys get "freak wheel"? i hate it.....i alway do backside kickturns on ramps and i usually end up with a stupid cone........

Yeah, my logic is quite strange, I know. I probably just got used to heavier boards. And as far as LibTech, I don't like 'em (but that might be because I skated it with no grip tape) it was old ish when I got it, but I figured since it's got fiber glass layers it should last longer anyway.. then one day I got angry and snapped it over a rail. I'll rant some more later.

Autobahns are fantastic wheels... They last, and are made of a hard yet smooth compound... I fell in love with them a few years back...

Libtech makes fantastic snowboards (I used to be sponsored by them), but you're right about their skateboards... Chock it up to a good idea gone wrong... I have tested a number of different types of boards.. Everything from carbon fiber, to foam, to fiberglass/wood core... Nothing ever works quite like 7 ply wood decks...

;)

BMW318_DRIFTER

I'm a big fan of the enjoi team so I get enjoi boards. I liked the ones I have. The only one that was a little weird was a Rodney Mullen board. It didn't have as much pop as the other ones, but I think that's just cause Rodney likes flatter boards.

you have never used a aluminum board?
i bought one back when i was first starting (i was like 10 or 11, what do you expect :crazy: ) most of the board was aluminum but the tip of the tail and nose had little holes and you would put in a little wooden nose or tail.
the thing was awful, it used to get so friggin' hot i would not even touch it. i was visiting some family in El Paso, TX and it was like 100+.
the tail/nose would always break into a million pieces and the sides got pretty sharp. i wish i could ride it again just to see what i would think of it now.

haha yesterday i fell trying to do a axle stall, i was going at a normal speed but i kept going at the same speed and slipped <8- P
it feels good to skate with smooth bearings and wheels :dopey:

i got back kickflips off a wedge/kicker/whatever you want to call it onto a flat section :)

Back