The 2017 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 1,180 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bear in mind that the track is getting more rubbered in, so lap times should naturally be quicker

You're right, of course. 1:18.9 from him now - the key thing is that his laps are consistent one after the other. It's hard to say if he's extracting max performance but he's certainly as consistent as ever. Good show!

I think this means the Sauber B-Team rumor comes to happen. And LeClarc signs on there for a year

Say what ? It doesn't really have any link imo. It just means that they pleased Seb since he claimed he wanted to stay with Kimi. Maybe for a 3 year contract ? We'll see.
Remember last year at the same time we were talking about Gasly being in f1. A bad second half of the season (all is relative but for Helmut it was bad) and now he is in Japan polishing his skills hoping to get a Toro Rosso seat.

Beside what Ferrari really need (and all the paddock really) is a fast Italian driver.

Unless you mean Sauber will be the Ferrari B-Team?
This seems to have been popping up a bit more frequently the last couple months, but I don't really see how selling a team their year old engines is an intent to buy them out entirely. Unless people are somehow interpreting Sauber cancelling their Honda deal as preparation to hand the team over to Ferrari, but that doesn't make much sense either.

Yeah Sauber being Ferrari B-team. sorry for not being clear enough, but yes that's the rumor right now along with Sergio wanting Alfa to come back to F1.

Yeah Sauber being Ferrari B-team. sorry for not being clear enough, but yes that's the rumor right now along with Sergio wanting Alfa to come back to F1.

That was shot down some time ago, Sauber being the B-team is a rumor he created and hasn't been supported by the actual team themselves.

A certain M. Schumacher, new to the F1 paddock, will drive a 1994 Benetton at Spa this weekend. This could well be a moment we look back on with knowing nods for many years. If nothing else it'll be a great sight in itself.

BBC.

But signing for three years is still quite surprising

It is? He's still quite young enough to bring glory back to Ferrari. It took another German a few years before he was racking up the WDCs. Vettel already has 4 WDCs proving he has what it takes to bring Ferrari to some glory. Also he sits 1st in the WDC as of right now, you combine all this and it's hard to be surprised that Ferrari have locked him in. Ferrari aren't about to bring in a fresh blood, very young, feeder series graduate into their top team.

They'll run Leclerc or Giovanazzi in another team, and considering comments from the big boss, it would seem that there is a potential to run these drivers in either HAAS or Sauber. Look at Massa he tested for Ferrari for three years before he got the nod to join their F1 team and developed from Schumi tutelage. So it makes perfect sense with this thought because Ferrari have their established number 1, Vettel like Hamilton has given the world a limited time table of how long he'll be in F1. Ferrari will probably have their academy drivers do plenty of work in the time between now and 2020, with Kimi being year to year and only let go if his performance falls off too much.

It is? He's still quite young enough to bring glory back to Ferrari. It took another German a few years before he was racking up the WDCs. Vettel already has 4 WDCs proving he has what it takes to bring Ferrari to some glory. Also he sits 1st in the WDC as of right now, you combine all this and it's hard to be surprised that Ferrari have locked him in. Ferrari aren't about to bring in a fresh blood, very young, feeder series graduate into their top team.

They'll run Leclerc or Giovanazzi in another team, and considering comments from the big boss, it would seem that there is a potential to run these drivers in either HAAS or Sauber. Look at Massa he tested for Ferrari for three years before he got the nod to join their F1 team and developed from Schumi tutelage. So it makes perfect sense with this thought because Ferrari have their established number 1, Vettel like Hamilton has given the world a limited time table of how long he'll be in F1. Ferrari will probably have their academy drivers do plenty of work in the time between now and 2020, with Kimi being year to year and only let go if his performance falls off too much.

It's not my own intelligence but the - so called (?) - F1 analists thought he would sign for one year because next year Mercedes contracts will be free and/or renewed? But it's great to see that VET and RAI are loyal to Ferrari and it's good for the competition at the top.

It's not my own intelligence but the - so called (?) - F1 analists thought he would sign for one year because next year Mercedes contracts will be free and/or renewed? But it's great to see that VET and RAI are loyal to Ferrari and it's good for the competition at the top.

That's interesting I didn't see that. And it'd be nice to know who exactly. Seb is at his dream job and dream team. He idolized Schumi's Ferrari days and that is the legacy he'd love to rewrite in his own name. Mercedes have a line of drivers waiting to move up, it is pretty much assured Hamilton (especially if he gets WDC) will get re-signed for Merc. Merc have said they are happy with Bottas, and after that Merc still have developing drivers in Ocon and Wehrlein to take the seat. Also Mercedes have said that they will have Verstappen in their cars one day, a measured confidence at the rest of the paddock from Wolff it could be said.

The signing with such ease shows that Vettel doesn't want to have success with no one else but Ferrari, and Ferrari are obviously building around said driver.

Any one any idea?? What's the latest gossip?

Valtteri? Max?

Mercedes-AMG F1‏Geverifieerd account @MercedesAMGF1
Literally us right now... Why? Well, you're about to find out...
1f62c.png

04:19 - 30 aug. 2017

They ran a competition recently to win a drive in the Mercedes sim, I wonder if they are announcing the winner of that? It's probably not going to be something news worthy as far as I would guess.

So I thought about this for a couple of weeks now - and today it came to me - why doesn't Alonso drive for Haas?

They have a reliable car (I think?) and the worst drivers on the grid.

It'd be a perfect fit for Alonso and Haas imo.

I mean I get it Alonso should be in a top team, but there are no seats...

Mercedes? Never gonna happen.
Ferrari? Yeah, no.
RB? Umm.

So?

So I thought about this for a couple of weeks now - and today it came to me - why doesn't Alonso drive for Haas?

They have a reliable car (I think?) and the worst drivers on the grid.

It'd be a perfect fit for Alonso and Haas imo.

I mean I get it Alonso should be in a top team, but there are no seats...

Mercedes? Never gonna happen.
Ferrari? Yeah, no.
RB? Umm.

So?

No, Haas is still a B team to Ferrari. I don't see it happening, also how do they have the worse drivers on the grid? Ericcson is far worse, Kvyat far worse, did you forget about Palmer...

If they can give Grosjean and Mag a good car they will easily collect point as has been seen, also it's hard to see Alonso getting first pick to a seat there if it did open, over the likes of Leclrec or Giovanazzi.

Last edited:
Ok then what about Williams? That could work right? I mean wasn't Massa already supposed to be playing soccer on the beach in Rio de Janeiro? ;)

I'm just trying to find a seat for poor Alonso, this is starting to become insufferable. :lol

Ok then what about Williams? That could work right? I mean wasn't Massa already supposed to be playing soccer on the beach in Rio de Janeiro? ;)

I'm just trying to find a seat for poor Alonso, this is starting to become insufferable. :lol

Williams has been the suggestion in the media so perhaps. Also what is this "poor Alonso stuff?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back