The 2017 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 1,180 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing now is to hope it spans out, or he'll be going back there after next season perhaps, like the Sauber one off.
I doubt Renault would let that happen willingly. It's a two-year deal with a one-year option. With the team trying to rebuild, losing Hülkenberg after a single season would be a huge setback, so I'll bet that they have provisions to safeguard against that.

Plus I doubt FI will be so welcoming of him back for a third time, there is only so many times you can say "See ya!" and be welcomed back when it doesn't work out. I wonder, is there precedent for it though? Obviously plenty of drivers have gone back to a team once, but has anyone ever done it twice or more?

I doubt Renault would let that happen willingly. It's a two-year deal with a one-year option. With the team trying to rebuild, losing Hülkenberg after a single season would be a huge setback, so I'll bet that they have provisions to safeguard against that.

Doesn't have to be a single season, for years we've thought that FI would leave the grid and they still make it each year and perform decent for a younger privateer mid pack team. I'd say in two years time they'll be around to pick up Hulk if he's willing and Renault haven't expanded. Remeber this is Renault we're talking about, they have to find a way to tackle not only their former works team, but the other two works teams as well. They're in for a struggle, and we'll see if the board is so keen on keeping this going if nothing comes of it in two years.

Couple that with the doubt seen from guys like Allison as recently as September...how does that show the hallmarks of a team preparing to take the fight to the top next year as they've claimed.

Plus I doubt FI will be so welcoming of him back for a third time, there is only so many times you can say "See ya!" and be welcomed back when it doesn't work out. I wonder, is there precedent for it though? Obviously plenty of drivers have gone back to a team once, but has anyone ever done it twice or more?

Mansell

Although he did go back to Williams twice, he was a proven race winner and was runner up twice in the 86/87 championships when he went back the first time.

Second time round it was much different.

What's Hulkenberg ever done in F1 aside from a flukey pole and one or two decent 4th places?

Although he did go back to Williams twice, he was a proven race winner and was runner up twice in the 86/87 championships when he went back the first time.

Second time round it was much different.

What's Hulkenberg ever done in F1 aside from a flukey pole and one or two decent 4th places?

I wouldn't call it a fluke pole for one, if that's the case then Maldonado's only win will be looked upon like that, and it's not either. Hulk has shown to be a strong solid driver and both him and Perez have shown the ability to help push cars in a good direction of development. I mean going to a table looking at the results and then just going off that isn't one how teams pick drivers and two a full measure of the drivers. I mean I really think he and Perez have gotten the best out of the car when the get into the top five, anything further or less is team error or track incompatibility.

Also the question was who was allowed back a third time, not the validity.

Looking at the reports of Bottas talking to Renault, I am curious as to how serious it is. Apparently Williams have an option on his contract that they want to activate, one that comes with a significant pay raise for Bottas. And yet despite this, he has entered formal talks with Renault.

I wonder if Bottas knows that he is in danger of doing exactly what Hülkenberg did - making a name for himself and getting on the radar of the bigger teams, but never quite doing enough to follow through and subsequently fall by the wayside. After all, he was touted as a potential replacement for Räikkönen, but was quickly forgotten once Ferrari took up the option on Räikkönen's contract. Like Hülkenberg, Renault might be Bottas' best shot at getting into a works team.

I'm not so sure about that - Renault are having trouble attracting talent to their design team. I think the best that they can expect next year is to be solidly in the midfield, on par with Haas and McLaren, but with Force India and Williams out of reach. If Force India are able to compete with Williams next year, Pérez could be a lucrative prospect for a top team should a seat become available.

where though, Mercedes and Redbull look to be locked up for the future by their own talent coming in, Ferrari would be the only other team that he could possibly go to, but they are super conservative when picking drivers.

If Bottas isn't an option for Ferrari in 2018, then Perez certainly should be.

Alonso should replace either Hamilton or Rosberg at Mercedes. That would really spice things up. But McLaren will be strong next year.

Vettel is a fool for going to Ferrari. He will be having the exact same thoughts as Alonso was having when Alonso was at Ferrari.

James Allen on F1 is reporting that Williams will confirm Lance Stroll on 3 November (and likely their second driver, as the team likes to announce both at the same time and Claire Williams has previously said that she sees no reason to do anything differently this time).

James Allen on F1 is reporting that Williams will confirm Lance Stroll on 3 November (and likely their second driver, as the team likes to announce both at the same time and Claire Williams has previously said that she sees no reason to do anything differently this time).
After he's turned 18. You can't really get an underage person to represent an alcohol brand.

Jordan King to replace Wehrlein in FP1 at Austin...

They could still confirm him though. He has the points needed, so it's just age stopping him at the moment.
I'm pretty sure that the FIA has discretionary power over who gets a superlicence. Even if you meet all of the prerequisites, they can still reject your application.

After he's turned 18. You can't really get an underage person to represent an alcohol brand.

Not so. As far as advertising in the UK goes "underage" means under 25 despite the legal drinking age being 5 years old.

Jordan King to replace Wehrlein in FP1 at Austin...
Odd. I didn't think that he had a superlicence, and that he can't get one until next year because he cannot place high enough in this year's GP2 standings.

Odd. I didn't think that he had a superlicence, and that he can't get one until next year because he cannot place high enough in this year's GP2 standings.
I'm pretty sure you don't need a superlicence to drive in free practice, hasn't Alfonso Celis done some sessions for Force India this season?

Hope he gets the seat. Loads of talent lost if he's not on the grid next year

Loads, but maybe not enough all-round talent and funding. Welcome to F1, don't let the door hit you up the arse on the way out.

*insert faith in humanity image here*

👍

Never mind. Just means one of them is for sure on the chopping block next year, but good news for both. Would like to see one of them finally venture away from RB. Other than Vettel we still haven't seen a driver leave RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back