The 2017 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 1,180 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where else would he go if he can't get a ride?
I don't know, but he's clearly not happy with the state of affairs. He expressed similar discontent when Ferrari opted for Räikkönen because he felt that his future in the sport was being used as leverage in negotiations by Ferraei.

Always WEC, Webber loves it. Hulkenburg got his foot wet. Only a matter of time before Jenson Button joins up. That or Weathertech Championship GTLM or DPi. Not as much world coverage as it's only North America but there are still many reputable drivers in that series.

Are most ex-F1 WEC drivers in LMP cars or GT cars? Just curious if they prefer to stay fast or slow down a bit.

Always WEC, Webber loves it. Hulkenburg got his foot wet. Only a matter of time before Jenson Button joins up. That or Weathertech Championship GTLM or DPi. Not as much world coverage as it's only North America but there are still many reputable drivers in that series.

Are most ex-F1 WEC drivers in LMP cars or GT cars? Just curious if they prefer to stay fast or slow down a bit.
Most jump to LMP first.

Autosport "understands" (read: they have a source, but no-one is saying it aloud in public just yet) that Lance Stroll will have a Williams seat in 2017.

Mind you, they "understood" that Esapekka Lappi and Juho Hänninen would be confirmed as Toyota's WRC drivers at the Paris Motor Show, and it didn't happen ...

Red Bull have reportedly been approached by Renault looking to get their hands on Carlos Sainz; Red Bull apparently replied with a very firm "no".

Well that's rather selfish. Keeping him at Toro Rosso, as he won't be promoted for now, if ever, defeats the purpose of the team being a development stage for their young drivers coming through the ranks. At least let someone else have him. That said it's up to Sainz anyway.

Rumors that Renault might be trying to get their hands on Hulkenberg having missed out on Sainz, Perez and Vandoorne.

I still think they should take Kvyat but we'll see how this goes.

Well that's rather selfish. Keeping him at Toro Rosso, as he won't be promoted for now, if ever, defeats the purpose of the team being a development stage for their young drivers coming through the ranks. At least let someone else have him. That said it's up to Sainz anyway.
I think they keep him for 2018 because there's a high chance that either Max or Daniel move somewhere else (like ferrari). And no its not selfish, without them Sainz Jr wouldn't even be in f1, they invested a lot to bring him where he is now.

Mercedes
- Hamilton (has contract)
- Rosberg (has contract)

Red Bull
- Ricciardio (has contract)
- Verstappen (has contract)

Ferrari
- Vettel (has contract)
- Raikkonen (has contract)

Force India
- Hulkenberg (has contract)
- Perez (has contract)

McLaren
- Alonso (has contract)
- Vandoorne (has contract)

Williams
- Bottas (likely) nowhere else to go but down
- Wehrlein (?) rising star in Mercedes young driver academy

Haas
- Grosjean (likely) could potentially sign for Williams, but unlikely since probably dreaming of 2018 Ferrari seat
- Giovinazzi (?) young Italian potential star to be?

Toro Rosso
- Sainz (has contract)
- Gasly (?) Kyviatt underwhelming and Gasly is Red Bull's shiny new toy

Renault - they really wanted Perez, Sainz and/or Vandoorne but not happening
- Magnussen (likely)
- Ocon (?) been keeping up w/ Werhlein, also he is French and did beat Verstappen in F3 2014

Sauber
- Ericsson (likely) his sponsors are linked to new team owners
- Nasr or Guttierez (?) depends who has deeper pockets

Manor
- King (likely) daddy is chairman of Manor and has deep pockets
tongue.gif

- Stroll (?) daddy has deep pockets

my 2 cents

- King (likely) daddy is chairman of Manor and has deep pockets
tongue.gif
He doesn't have a superlicence and cannot get one until the end of the year - and even then, he needs better results in GP2 to get it. Given that there are only two races left this year, he can't get the finishing position that he needs.

- Stroll (?) daddy has deep pockets
He's widely expected to join Williams.

I think they keep him for 2018 because there's a high chance that either Max or Daniel move somewhere else (like ferrari). And no its not selfish, without them Sainz Jr wouldn't even be in f1, they invested a lot to bring him where he is now.
I really doubt anyone rather than hopeful midtable drivers in the Perez bracket, who just want to be in a race winning car despite driver hierarchy, is dying for a Ferrari seat. I don't think any high profile driver with championship ambitions, which its fair to say Riccardo and Verstappen are, wants to go to that second Ferrari seat. To lead the line if and when Vettel leaves certainly, but then again where is Vettel going anytime soon?

I expect the Manor duo to stay where they are for next year, there is no room going up and it's an ideal situation for Mercedes to Evaluate their drivers.

Last edited:
Hulkenberg to Renault is a done deal according to BILD in Germany (20 minutes ago), they were first to put out the rumours so their insider info looks solid.

Renault has a crap car, an underpowered engine and a total lack of leadership. This looks more like an attempt to escape from Perez's shadow than any real chance of challenging for results.
Renault stated a long time ago that this year was a development year, and that their focus was on 2017 and beyond. The car is more or less last year's car anyway. Their decision to retain Palmer and his money rather than several more talented options they could have had highlights that.

Considering that fact I would say that they could easily leapfrog Force India, Haas and even Williams next year. This is Renault and Enstone after all, they aren't full of false promises like a Toyota or a Honda.

I don't think Hulkenberg is worried about being in Perez's shadow, they're still about even. Hulkenberg has just lost his fire a bit, with all the opportunities to make the leap into a top team going away.

Taking the chance to be in a works team is one that he really should take up. Force India will always be rooted in midfield but if Renault do well they will be ahead of them very soon.

Isn't the Renault running this year with the wrong engine (i.e. not built for/with the car)? Everything they've said on air hints that they really think they'll return to form next year.

This looks more like an attempt to escape from Perez's shadow than any real chance of challenging for results.
Hülkenberg is Formula One's perennial also-ran. Despite being highly rated up and down pit lane, he has never had access to a top-flight team. At this point - with the big teams already having confirmed their line-ups - the only way that is going to happen is if he joins a team that is going to claw its way up the grid. As a works team, Renault are best-positioned to do that. And a Hülkenberg-Bottas combination certainly stands a better chance of doing it than Magnussen-Palmer.

It also opens up the very tasty prospect of Ocon and Wehrlein in a Williams and a Force India.

Renault stated a long time ago that this year was a development year, and that their focus was on 2017 and beyond. The car is more or less last year's car anyway. Their decision to retain Palmer and his money rather than several more talented options they could have had highlights that.

Considering that fact I would say that they could easily leapfrog Force India, Haas and even Williams next year. This is Renault and Enstone after all, they aren't full of false promises like a Toyota or a Honda.

I don't think Hulkenberg is worried about being in Perez's shadow, they're still about even. Hulkenberg has just lost his fire a bit, with all the opportunities to make the leap into a top team going away.

Taking the chance to be in a works team is one that he really should take up. Force India will always be rooted in midfield but if Renault do well they will be ahead of them very soon.
Honda came in a year late and are still doing better than Renault. And Honda have won numerous titles in the past. ;) Renault are not having an easy time recruiting top level staff. They've admitted it. Without that the car/team won't be near the front even with the best drivers. It's true though, this year they basically stuck with last year's car which was designed for Mercedes engines. If they're saving up all that money by not really developing this year's car and focusing on 2017, maybe they will be within a shout. But I think for Hulk, it's a sideways move at best, for now.

Honda came in a year late and are still doing better than Renault. And Honda have won numerous titles in the past. ;) Renault are not having an easy time recruiting top level staff. They've admitted it. Without that the car/team won't be near the front even with the best drivers. It's true though, this year they basically stuck with last year's car which was designed for Mercedes engines. If they're saving up all that money by not really developing this year's car and focusing on 2017, maybe they will be within a shout. But I think for Hulk, it's a sideways move at best, for now.
I'm fairly confident the Honda is still the worst engine on the grid. McLaren are simply still investing time and money into their current chassis, unlike Renault, wo have barely touched their current car. The Renault in a good chassis has been 5 of the 8 non Mercedes wins since 2014, so on that basis they're probably even more well off that Ferrari, forget about Honda.

I won't worry about Renaults lack of leadership. They don't need a fat old man sitting in the pit lane to win championships. You fund the Enstone facility and they will give you a good car. They have built competitive cars since Renault left in 2009, with the exception of 2014 where it was probably the engine more than anything holding the car back.

Renault has a crap car, an underpowered engine and a total lack of leadership. This looks more like an attempt to escape from Perez's shadow than any real chance of challenging for results.
Im pretty sure it's to get into a team that has more potential then force india will ever have.

1. The Chassis they are using was designed by Lotus who had no money to develop it so it barely changed from the 2015 car.
2. Next year the aero regulations are changing and with the full year to focus on building a car for those regulations that are in prime position to move right up.
3. More money then Force india will ever have to buy talented staff required to make a good car.
They have built competitive cars since Renault left in 2009, with the exception of 2014 where it was probably the engine more than anything holding the car back.
Renault was still a Factory team in 2010 with Kubica, after that season they sold all the remaining stock in the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back