The 2017 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 1,180 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perez stays at Force India for another year.

One-year-renewals seem to be the thing this season - is everybody waiting for the big contracts to be up? Verstappen supposedly has an exit clause for the end of 2018, despite Horner saying that wasn't the case. I think Ricciardo is free at the end of 2019 and the same may be true of Hamilton (depending on what he signs up for).

Every season they keep saying "The end of next season will be the big change" and it always ends up the same.

Renault apparently offered Palmer a substantial amount of money to get the **** out of their car.

Renault apparently offered Palmer a substantial amount of money to get the **** out of their car.
No, Palmer's contract says that if it's broken Renault have to pay back all the sponsor money he brought in.

He´s a terrible driver who only got his seat because of daddys money

Does it matter where pay drivers get their money from? This was a family sponsor rather than a corporate sponsor, so what? Given that Massa is no noob Stroll's comparative performances seem quite acceptable and when his performances have been strong they've been very good.

I think Stroll is deserved of keeping his seat for next year, I think he's showed he's worth it this year. Yes his Dad has ultimately Williams a hell of a lot of cash to help, but ultimately it's down to the driver to perform on track.

And I think he's done that so far this, he just needed to settle down and get into the grove of thinks in the first half of the season, and pretty much since Canada it seems he's done just that. And his performance's in the likes of Monza and Baku only back that up and so he's developing and will only get better really.

As paydrivers go, Stroll has performed better than Palmer. And I am considering Stroll's fractionally superior machinery. Speaking of which though, the Beeb are running a rumour via grandprix.com that 'Williams will sign Palmer'. As grandprix.com themselves report it:

Article
Palmer's father, the UK racing circuit mogul Jonathan, is hawking his son's talents up and down the paddock at present.

It might come down to who has the bigger savings account; Jonathan Palmer or Lawrence Stroll. But don't expect Palmer's name to disappear from the small inches just yet.

You know how the other day I made you realize how complex F1 is...well this isn't one of those times. It's quite simple, Stroll has actually done the job he was asked and in a short time. Compare that with certain other drivers who keep failing and make a fuss when things don't go their way. Stroll is positive, has seemingly a great work ethic, and most of all can grow if he keeps it up. Why should they get rid of him after a single season?

Last edited:
He´s a terrible driver who only got his seat because of daddys money
Terrible driver? He scored a podium in his 8th race. Do you know who else scored a podium on their 8th race? Olivier Gendebien, Bob Anderson, Jackie Oliver and David Coulthard. None of these were done in midfield teams, but in cars at the front of the pack.

Oh, there's one more driver who scored their first podium in race 8 - Michael Schumacher. Even he had to be put in a front-running team to do that.

Let's not forget that Michael Schumacher was also a pay driver.

Yeah those dirty scum, why can't they just make it in on pure talent, why do they have to pay their way into the sport!? /s*

*since all of us sometimes need that realization it is sarcasm.

Stroll has been very good in the wet, Monza quali and in the Singapore race he pushed the car above where it should be.

Some drivers instantly come in and go quick others show their talent when the conditions get tough and with experience bring it more consistently.

Stroll looks like the later at the moment atleast.

While Stroll doesn't impress me, I wouldn't put him as bad as some of the others - and I desperately hope Williams get rid of Massa. However, doing so they'll be wanting to keep a driver with experience on the team. I get it, don't love it, but I get it. I think Stroll has finally gotten to terms with the car and is no longer falling 8 spots behind Massa in every session.

I think we might see Kubica on a three-race contract with Di Resta remaining as reserve. Once Kubica's full weekend capabilities are more understood (if they're not already) then maybe we'll see him get a longer contract with Di Resta taking on races that the Kubica or the team feels are unsuitable for his injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back