The Burnout: Paradise Thread

United States
Divided States of America
MikuHime80
Hey guys, I hopped on Burnout Paradise last night, and I was blown away by how fun it still is after all this time. So, I have created this for discussion and meet ups on one of Criterion's masterpieces. :)

Was fun, was probably more fun with friends. The fact it, and the series for that matter, were focused around the chaos and mayhem meant that, at least in my case, there isn't really an instance of someone trying to "be the biggest 🤬 in the room" that oh so many other games have to deal with, something Dirt 3 can pull off partially as once beyond Battersea the hind-hats return in force.

I traded it in long ago. Didn't 100%, but got all the cars, jumps, billboards, and crash gates and my Burnout License. Only really used a handful of cars though.

Surprisingly enough, yes. After online went from about 20 lobbies at normal later on last year to ~10 give or take a few more recently, I thought the game's days were numbered and the servers would be shut down soon. Went on a few days ago only to find plenty of lobbies (13, IIRC) and activity.

Proof of a grand concept at least. I think it has lived longer than any other console title, and Phantasy Star Online is the only one I can think of that relates, though it's been on private servers for years now.

Paradise is great but I preferred Takedown and Revenge. I'd love to see Takedown available on PSN, too.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in playing some multiplayer on the PC version. Only one mod would be needed and that would be the Vanity Pack 2.0. It is basically a trainer that lets you change your car, colour, and loads more while driving and also has a new HUD and manual transmission. Also adds all of the DLC (except the legendary cars) to a new save game including all base cars. Haven't tried this mod online yet but it is very stable offline, only crashing when trying to drive the Gai-Jin Cop car.

Origin: JR98GAMING
Steam: Jason_rocks19981

This thread is inactive butwouwould like to mention that at the end of the year the servers will be shut down and we will no longer be able to get the online only cars and the cars that require online to be awarded them.

This thread is inactive butwouwould like to mention that at the end of the year the servers will be shut down and we will no longer be able to get the online only cars and the cars that require online to be awarded them.
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but do you have a source?

I've been playing the vanilla base game, God how I missed it. Not being able to easily restart is a pain, but the rest of the game is great fun still, and still better than a lot of the new racers.

That is a shame. They've done well to keep it up for this long though so it's to be expected.

Besides the Rai-Jin Turbo and that Hummer look alike (forgot the name), we won't lose any car in the offline game right? All cars that are rewards for completing online challenges will still be there when the servers go offline?

Would be nice if they add a patch to make the Rai-Jin available offline. I'm definitely taking it for a last spin before the end of this year. So many good memories of this game 👍

That is a shame. They've done well to keep it up for this long though so it's to be expected.

Besides the Rai-Jin Turbo and that Hummer look alike (forgot the name), we won't lose any car in the offline game right? All cars that are rewards for completing online challenges will still be there when the servers go offline?

Would be nice if they add a patch to make the Rai-Jin available offline. I'm definitely taking it for a last spin before the end of this year. So many good memories of this game 👍
Highly doubt they will, it's EA were talking about. Criterion, well from what I read they are working on Battlefront, but I do miss the good old days. I had Burnout Paradise since its release date, which was when I had my 40 GB PS3 at the time, too many memories to count.

I still think Burnout Paradise is one of the best games I've ever played. The map, the cars, the soundtrack, everything about this game is made of pure magic. It's no wonder Criterion retook the game's formula for NFS Most Wanted 2012.
My two gripes are the lack of a quick restart, but looking at it in an immersion sense I get why it was done, and the OK soundtrack, if it had the Burnout 3 soundtrack, it'd be 1 or 1a.

Hey, technically you could use the Personal Playlist feature to GIVE it Burnout 3's soundtrack if you wanted!
That's what I loved about the Cagney updates. Playing old aged Burnout music in a Free Roaming Burnout is awesome. If you went around Paradise, including Island, it would be a "Boost Endurance", though I'm going to play the base game, non-updated to see the difference, but you can't use cheats for the Sponsored Cars...

Highly doubt they will, it's EA were talking about. Criterion, well from what I read they are working on Battlefront, but I do miss the good old days. I had Burnout Paradise since its release date, which was when I had my 40 GB PS3 at the time, too many memories to count.

The online exclusive only I understand if it's gone, but cars like the Jansen P12 Diamond you get for completing all 500 challenges should still be available IMO. Guess we'll see at the end of this year.

So what is the official date of shutdown? God... so many memories from this game. Hopefully they are shutting it down because Criterion is ready to jump back into the hotseat? Hell they made that golf game, so they are alive and well as a company, and they said that they were planning a Burnout reprise...

Maybe, just maybe...

Dangerous Golf is made by Three Fields Entertainment who are an independent developer, run by former Criterion members (who were around for the original Burnout games). Criterion itself is currently developing Star Wars VR tat alongside every other EA studio. TFE's Burnout Reprise™© (I assume that's what we're calling it now) will only happen with money.

And who actually said the servers were going offline? No-one has. It's still going to be backwards compatible on Xbox One, and I reckon they'd want to keep them online for that.

I bought this game awhile ago and didn't enjoy it. But y'all wanna know what burnout game i did enjoy...... Burnout Revenge on ps2. I really want sony to bring that game to the ps2 section on ps4 ASAP. I'll buy that in a heart beat for sure.

I bought this game awhile ago and didn't enjoy it. But y'all wanna know what burnout game i did enjoy...... Burnout Revenge on ps2. I really want sony to bring that game to the ps2 section on ps4 ASAP. I'll buy that in a heart beat for sure.
Hopefully, most of my PS2 library isn't even in the PS3 store, so I may just get a PC then. I mean, they are missing a lot of great PS2 games by Indi games. Drive To Survive, is an example of this, but I wish they would add the full library of PS2 games at a cheap price, oh well. I enjoyed Burnout 3 and Revenge.

Last edited:
Hopefully, most of my PS2 library isn't even in the PS3 store, so I may just get a PC then. I mean, they are missing a lot of great PS2 games by Indi games. Drive To Survive, is an example of this, but I wish they would add the full library of PS2 games at a cheap price, oh well. I enjoyed Burnout 3 and Revenge.

Yea it seem like they bringing ps2 games every other week not to mention it's only like 1. We only have one racing ps2 classic game so far and that's it. But yea if they bring burnout revenge to ps4, then i won't be touching no other games for awhile lol.

I just checked the game in offline mode, all the cars you unlocked from online will still be there. It brings back a lot of memories seeing the Paradise City logo at the start and hearing Guns & Roses :D Still feels as amazing as it did back in 2008.

Paradise City still feels as atmospheric as ever and I am astounded at rediscovering all the little details they put into the game - stuff like the turn indicator sounds when you are nearing an intersection. The street names on top of your screen and all the little extras like mugshots (got some pretty lol photos from back in the day :lol:). The handling isn't as good as I remembered tbh. The cars feels floaty and the drifting a bit harder to keep going than I remembered. MW 2012 feels a lot better in this regard. Guess rose tinted glasses do exist after all. Still doesn't take anything away from the game though.

Last edited:
I just checked the game in offline mode, all the cars you unlocked from online will still be there. It brings back a lot of memories seeing the Paradise City logo at the start and hearing Guns & Roses :D Still feels as amazing as it did back in 2008.

Paradise City still feels as atmospheric as ever and I am astounded at rediscovering all the little details they put into the game - stuff like the turn indicator sounds when you are nearing an intersection. The street names on top of your screen and all the little extras like mugshots. The handling isn't as good as I remembered tbh. The cars feels floaty and the drifting a bit harder to keep going than I remembered. Guess rose tinted glasses do exist after all. Still doesn't take anything away from the game though.
I'm playing through the non-Cagney updated Burnout Paradise, and man the memories was so good, sometimes bad. However, I just achieved getting all the Jumps, Smashes, and Billboards to get the carbon cars, it's very rewarding than I remember. Once I update the game again, I'm going to complete the Island DLC, which I like, but the beta map was more interesting..

I can tell you this though, the loading times are a bit faster than the Cagney updates due to not having as much content as the Ultimate Box set.

I'm playing through the non-Cagney updated Burnout Paradise, and man the memories was so good, sometimes bad. However, I just achieved getting all the Jumps, Smashes, and Billboards to get the carbon cars, it's very rewarding than I remember. Once I update the game again, I'm going to complete the Island DLC, which I like, but the beta map was more interesting..

I can tell you this though, the loading times are a bit faster than the Cagney updates due to not having as much content as the Ultimate Box set.

Ah yes, I remember the beta map with a huge expansion on the south area - was it an airport that they planned? Can't remember.

Also have fond memories chasing the last smash gate. I think I spent 2 hours going around the city with no luck. Then I saw flashing yellows while driving on top of the dam. You had to go into the mine area and go through a really secluded shortcut. Phew!

Some billboards are also notoriously hard to reach. Lots of chin scratching and wrecked jumps ensues :lol:

The amount of cars in this game, even without all DLCs was also something amazing. The career mode feels long, but also feels rewarding and not boring because all of the different cars you keep unlocking.

Loading times surprisingly feels much faster for me than what I remembered. Then again, after playing GT5 everything else feels faster :lol:

I'm really proud I managed to finish all 500 challenges though. It was my first foray into serious online gaming back then. A steep learning curve but also a lot of fun. Somehow players were also a lot more cooperative back then. I still have some people on my friends list from back in the day. Also remembered they had a lot of Japanese players back then. Always fun trying to organise a 6 car jump with the language barrier :D

Ah yes, I remember the beta map with a huge expansion on the south area - was it an airport that they planned? Can't remember.
The DLC island that they added, was originally going to be an airport in the beta map. I think the southern area was a dockyard or something.

Strangely enough, they still kept the idea of a separate island for a long time, but kept revising what they wanted to do with it.

Back