The Eco Challenge

• Thread starter yoman297
  • 29 comments
Short shift to 6th gear and drive at 1/10th throttle, coast downhill at 100mph +

That was the simplest gold so far.
Thank you! I use a DS3 on automatic so I probably would have never thought of that.

I could've gone like 4 miles, until I saw there is a 2 minute limit :lol: Keep the throttle under 50% and coast on every downhill section.

Jerome

I got it in one attempt. To be fair, I've done these sorts of races before, online. Keep the revs low and use the highest gear possible.

I could've gone like 4 miles, until I saw there is a 2 minute limit :lol: Keep the throttle under 50% and coast on every downhill section.
Yep, the challenge should be called instead "how far can you drive with 1 liter of fuel in two minutes?".
It was a bit disappointing to see that there was a time limit.

Yes, the time limit is annoying, but take off slow, shift to 6, pulse and glide and try not to brake. I got 2.50 miles like second try.

I forgot about the timer the first time, didn't even use half my fuel by the time it ran out and still easily got gold.

I liked this challenge very much, it was very easy and fun when I understood what I was supposed to be doing

I got gold in automatic 2nd try it didn't even occur to me to use manual. I used to do this years ago as well travelling to my old town as my car was so big and i was always skint haha.

Not much of a challenge, when you realise that the car uses no fuel when coasting...

Coasting is James Mays friend. Like most have said, try not to get to 4.5k rpm, short shifting (i left it in 5th due to hills) and no throttle downhill (not neutral as still uses fuel). I got gold with 30 seconds left and 0.36 fuel left so floored it for an extra mile, drained so fast then.

Being poor I've spent most of my driving life in Eco mode to just make it to that next gas station. First try got gold. A couple more tries to get nearly 3 miles. I could probably get 3 miles or more with just a few more tries but it's not that important. I'd like to see more of these events and I prefer this over the cones.

Sark

a gear every 2500/3000e heck do you gold this? It might be the most ridiculous challenge I've ever seen.

I copied eco driving in real life. I changed up a gear every 2500/3000 rpm accelerating gently the whole time. Free wheel down hill and near the end you have enough fuel to put the boot down if needed to beat the clock.

Buy a hybrid car or volt and try to get the maximum range - that's the best practice.

But seriously - don't floor it, just go about 70, don't accelerate or decelerate much, and only accelerate downhill (use the landscape/hills to your advantage). it's ok to scrub speed off uphill, because you will get that speed back over the crest of the hill when you head back down!

Yep, the challenge should be called instead "how far can you drive with 1 liter of fuel in two minutes?".
It was a bit disappointing to see that there was a time limit.
Agreed this threw me way off on second try I got it though after I knew what was needed

I wanna see more of these challenges, makes a change from the usual fast pace and confuses people who drive auto 👍

Back