The GT6 Epic Whining and Crying Thread

• Thread starter HaylRayzor
  • 6,682 comments
You can play it right now though. Sure it's on PC, but I can't see it being significantly different to the future PS4 title.

By the way, have you played GT6 yet? Do you know how it "plays"?

I've played the demo, and it's a GT game. They physics will improve and such but the "feel" of the game will remain largely the same. It's probably GT's biggest draw for a lot of people.

... and London's needs to have some sort of pitlane added or a new layout.
Didn't Yamauchi say long time ago that PD had a long version of the track planned but couldn't manage to put in GT5 due to lack of time or whatever? Maybe that one was supposed to have a pitlane.

I saw weather change for Daytona and simply assumed that it was for the road coarse (not oval), is the roadcourse (24 hour Daytona) confirmed?

Weather on an oval makes no sense...

Last edited:
Speaking of driveway, my driveway has more elevation change than Goodwood.
Your house is more than 300ft above(or lower than) the road?!

From the official Goodwood site:
The course rises over 300ft from the start line to the finish, and is very technical and challenging, putting the skills of the world’s very best drivers and riders to the ultimate test of concentration and speed.

You're using passion as an excuse for amateurism and strange decisions, although passion is the last thing that shows in GT6.
By definition, PD cannot be amateurs as they are getting paid for their work - though I suspect that's just me being pedantic. I disagree about the lack of passion showing too - though that's just my opinion: I like to be clear when saying these things.

Last edited:
I am not sure if GT vs Forza has been put into perspective as I am about to mention but if it has, I apologize. After all this is the whining thread, lol.

GT has hit it's 15 year mark. Dec 97' to Present
Forza is only in its 8 year. May 05' to Present

In the 7 year gap between the two, why is it that GT only has one more major release on a PS. This is excluding the Prologue games. In 15 years they can't advance with technology but Forza manages to come in make it a competition now. Same thing that NBA 2k has done to NBA Live. It's hard to come back once a competitor is giving people what they want. I know GT6 isn't out yet but the more and more I think about it, the PS4 will suffer because of the decision to make a hit like GT on an old platform weeks after a new gen machine has been released. Forza will be released on next gen, why not even up the competition. I will tell you why. PD is over there heads now. They can't keep up with technology.

GT6 will really get people talking if its barely an upgrade from GT5. Most are saying its GT5.5 or its what GT5 should have been. I will probably agree. I am loyal to playstation and said I would never buy an Xbox but Forza 5 on next gen is getting me to think otherwise. Sony can't afford to have people switch hardware (consoles) as people did with software with 2K vs Live. Games can be multi platform. Consoles can't play each others software as PC and Mac can.

I think PD is loosing it hold on the market. The talks about porting GT6 to PS4 as GT7 is a badddd move. Next gen is next gen. At the caliber next gen is, porting from an older gen get isn't acceptable. Upgrade as many cars as you can to premiums and ditch the standards. Via dlc upgrade the standards to add them back. 1000 cars, whoppie do. 85-90% of those, no one will even use regularly. In the past GT's I used less than 20 cars regularly. As I have mentioned in other threads, give us 200-500 premium cars and let us piece together our own car library via dlc. All these multiple cars of the same make and model is pointless and take up space and time. Next gen should have everything that the previous GT titles had and build on that. This goes for PS 2 and beyond. I think sales for GT6 will be weak at release. Alot of GT fans that have been with GT since 97 like myself were disappointed with GT5 and will wait for reviews and/or price drops for GT6.

I am not sure if GT vs Forza has been put into perspective as I am about to mention but if it has, I apologize. After all this is the whining thread, lol...etc...etc...etc...

I'm sure you're right, GT6 could be a real turning point for PD, but I doubt it's do or die. The fanbase is pretty determined and loyal and GT6 is shaping up to be "good enough" for most of them it looks like to me. Some hardcore racing sim guys might jump ship because it's not next gen, but most GT fans aren't hardcore sim guys they are just casual players and casual players aren't necessarily early adopters of new consoles.

Not sure if you're aware, but there is a whole GT6 vs. Forza5 here as well if you're interested:cheers::
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/forza-5-vs-gt6-discuss-here.282773/page-18#post-8943240

Last edited:
- In the end its like this: I'm moving into a mansion, I dont have time to keep revisiting the boarded up shack I also own. In fact I'll be selling it (PS3) soon enough.

For me, its like when Charlie moves into Wonka's factory and takes the old shack with him and they continue to live in it. Don't sell your system man...I was thankful to have friends give me their old systems years after I sold mine. My house is like a refugee camp for old systems. I love it! When I get a ps4 (when i start to see more games), i'll still have my ps3. Its also like having piece of history that i help create over my life.

Upgrade as many cars as you can to premiums and ditch the standards. Via dlc upgrade the standards to add them back.
Just upgrading from standard to premium isn't enough. Most road cars in GT6 are from the '90s and early 00's. Any car you see on the roads today, in GT6 you need to drive the model two or three generations back. New models from the last 5 years are simply not there.
GT6 is as outdated as GT5 is. *That* is why it actually is GT5.5.

...1000 cars, whoppie do. 85-90% of those, no one will even use regularly. In the past GT's I used less than 20 cars regularly...
Sorry to say this, but that is you and your preference. Simply stating that no one will even use the vast majority doesn't make it true.

Just upgrading from standard to premium isn't enough. Most road cars in GT6 are from the '90s and early 00's. Any car you see on the roads today, in GT6 you need to drive the model two or three generations back. New models from the last 5 years are simply not there.
Once again, sorry but that bit doesn't even make sense.

The first bit I understand, but that is the way the GT games go. GT5 and now GT6 seem to have redressed that a lot more. If you had an issue with that, you probably shouldn't be getting any GT titles.

You are aware, are you not, that most of the remotely modren sports cars were made in the 80s and 90s, and some of the best? Or maybe not.

This is why Gran Turismo excels as a CAR racing series to me. You can trace the evolution of sports cars from Miatas to Mustangs through their family tree, though admittedly fewer branches in the American family, but oh well. Most of them are Japanese? Works for me, I like Japanese sports and race cars. Most of the cars I want to see added to Gran Turismo are classics from the 80s and 90s, like the F355 Challenge.

Every game has its theme and flavor, so it's up to you whether it's worth your - or your parent's - hard earned money.

PD is over there heads now.

And they could solve all their problems if they would just bite the bullet and do some outsourcing like T10 do. Unfortunately I don't think the Japanese way of doing things will ever allow for that.

How big is their development team now compared to what it was for GT4?

Outsourcing isn't a magic bullet. It can cost more, can cost a lot more, since the modeling shop has to make a profit. Quality can be problematic, and you may or may not know of years of frustration from us Forza car modders and livery painters from iffy models from the very first game. Some flaws weren't fixed through at least three editions and were ported straight over. They can have their own delays, either from late delivery or extra time to fix flaws. Outsourcing has its own hurdles.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done except as a last resort or anything, but I am saying it's not the no-brainer answer some seem to think it is. I'm also saying that Kaz is no dummy, is aware of the concept, but apparently he hasn't used the option yet, or has very sparingly if he did.

As for how big the team is for GT4, I believe it was 110 - 120-ish, and now is 130-ish or more. Kaz is being very coy about his extended family.

Hiring more people and having some sort of manager to do Kaz's work and that can actually stay in Japan is the answer. The team needs a ''leader'' with focus, Kaz is too all over the place. This won't happen until Sony steps in and starts demanding quality, so far it looks like they let Kaz do whatever he wants.

"Whatever Kaz wants" has sold more than 70 million games. Of course, those may be shipped numbers, but sales are likely pretty close. ;)

Tenacious, you really put the epic in epic whining and crying.

3 paragraphs on why it's good to have an outdated car list because you like cars from 15 years ago the most. A wall of text on why GT6 isn't supposed the have the cars I see on the roads (I was referring to Mercedes A45, Mercedes CLA, Mercedes C, Mercedes CLS 63, BMW 6M, BMW X6 M, BMW 4, BMW Z4 or BMW 1 that is not 8 years old, Audi A5, Audi A7, ...) wherein the point you were trying to make is completely lost so you end up babbling about my parents' money?

3 paragraphs on why it's good to have such little progress and features not present at day one because the smaller the dev team the fewer people that can create bugs.

And the classic "70 million sold copies can't be wrong". I'm a software product manager IRL. My managers don't look at the sales numbers of the last 15 years, they look at the market opportunities and the sales forecast based on what I will deliver in the next 6 months. If that doesn't meet their targets, they need to see an action plan that doesn't involve my passion, family, vision or nostalgia.

Last edited:
Somehow PD is already outsourcing, but in a very typical Kaz atypical way (or atypical Kaz typical way whatever your favorite half of the glass is): The Vision GT.

If anything, the project showcases a greater synergy between a game maker and the automotive industry. Even if that implies spending resources on features not immediately bound to the core aspect of the game (depending on individual perception of course), it does benefit the GT franchise. Maybe helping it to grow to a point where product placement becomes indeed a no brainer for all the manufacturers or at least the ones involved in the Vision GT project. I don't think any recent car hasn’t had at a stage of its development most of its bits modeled. So what better source of outsourcing than the source itself?

We have already seen new cars being delivered to the game simultaneously to their real-word counterparts. This does imply deep collaboration. As an added bonus, some of them completely free of charge.

The added car count from 5 to 6 is quite decent IMO, and more will come in the form of DLC. I also think more will be made but will remain unseen until GT7 hits the PS4, because you don’t need a crystal ball to realize that standard assets - no matter the lifting they’ve likely undergone - will not survive yet another gen jump. At that point PD will undoubtedly have to deal with the massive flow of disappointment their effective loss will generate.

3 paragraphs on why it's good to have an outdated car list because you like cars from 15 years ago the most. A wall of text on why GT6 isn't supposed the have the cars I see on the roads (I was referring to Mercedes A45, Mercedes CLA, Mercedes C, Mercedes CLS 63, BMW 6M, BMW X6 M, BMW 4, BMW Z4 or BMW 1 that is not 8 years old, Audi A5, Audi A7, ...) wherein the point you were trying to make is completely lost so you end up babbling about my parents' money?

3 paragraphs on why it's good to have such little progress and features not present at day one because the smaller the dev team the fewer people that can create bugs.

And the classic "70 million sold copies can't be wrong". I'm a software product manager IRL. My managers don't look at the sales numbers of the last 15 years, they look at the market opportunities and the sales forecast based on what I will deliver in the next 6 months. If that doesn't meet their targets, they need to see an action plan that doesn't involve my passion, family, vision or nostalgia.
Tenacious D is being a bit of a PD apologist there :D

"A bit", that's a nice way of putting it I suppose, I'm just glad someone with real world experience (have to take @Kobooi 's word) finally said something to Tenacious D that we've been saying for years. Just in a more precise and blunt manner (though we've been quite blunt). Once again the issue is some people want to use their lovey touchy feelings to talk about PD and other emotional methods.

Kaz is being very coy about his extended family.
I believe that him being very careful of who he/PD employs is a great trait, no doubt about that in my mind. On the other hand, I also believe that the sooner he realizes the need of a successively increasing PD's staff at a consistent rate (which frankly, should've taken place in the beginning of this (7th) generation), the better. As of now, they appear to be managing and doing way more than the team is actually capable of. For a franchise as big and successful as Gran Turismo, ~110 employees (according to their offical website) just doesn't cut it in my opinion. While I'm unsure how much say Sony has in all this, I doubt very much they would mind seeing the team expanding.

If Kaz remains as coy about his ''extended family'' as he's today, I'm not being all that hopeful about the series on the PS4. Well, at least concerning the successor of GT6.

A game development company as a "family" might have worked in the '90s, but it can't anymore for modern AAA games.
Developers who want that feel again often go indie nowadays. Those who don't, succumb in the end.

Last edited:
For a franchise as big and successful as Gran Turismo, ~110 employees (according to their offical website) just doesn't cut it in my opinion.
Don't worry Hyland, Kaz confirmed that PD's staff reached too 150. Not sure why they haven't updated that yet.

I'm looking for where he said that but can't find it, grrr.

Apologist? Tenacious D is the high priest of the religion known as Gran Turismo. Kaz is a Prophet sent by Sony. Polyphony Digital consists of his apostles and GTPlanet is our church where he preaches understanding towards the ways and methods of the Prophet.

At least, in my mind. His posts make more sense that way.

No hard feelings, T.D ;)

Don't worry Hyland, Kaz confirmed that PD's staff reached too 150. Not sure why they haven't updated that yet.

I'm looking for where he said that but can't find it, grrr.
Found it. Still, I believe the size of the team should expand further, even if it's for a certain period of time. With that said, more manpower does not equal a better game but it sure wouldn't hurt them in the long term.

Well, this was certainly unexpected: Japanese news outlets are reporting that Polyphony Digital will be moving 50 of the company’s 150 employees more than 500 miles away, from Tokyo to Fukuoka, Japan.
https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-moves-50-employees-to-fukuoka-japan/

Saying I want those classic cars =/= "I don't want newer cars." Besides, if you think those classic cars should go, get ready for more than epical whining and crying from the fans, especially since those cars are in the "will contain" list. Now on the next gen, people are used to racing games dropping content, but the fans weren't happy about GT3's car list, and they will mope a lot if GT7 has three to five hundred cars.

I think you do overstate the case a scouche. ;)

GT5 shipped more than a million copies this year, even in a used market which is likely flooded. And even with some of the worst criticism of a flagship video game in my recollection. Just sayin'.

What GT6 needs in the future:

1. The sounds need to be better. It should sound like Forza, where a 1966 Beetle sounds like a WRC car.

2. Customization needs to be much better. We need a vinyl editor because 70% of people who will play Gran Turismo are hugely disappointed because they cannot put reproductive organs nor troll faces on their cars.

3. I am hugely disappointed with the car list. Even though there are only five Nissans and more muscle cars that are added to the series, I can't believe they never put in the Discovery One from 2001 after seeing they put in the moon rover!

4. Also bring back original tracks in the game! Hopefully it would be DLC where I would pay only $50 for a bunch of tracks that are already in older Gran Turismo games I already own.

Please PD!!!

What GT6 needs in the future:

1. The sounds need to be better. It should sound like Forza, where a 1966 Beetle sounds like a WRC car.

2. Customization needs to be much better. We need a vinyl editor because 70% of people who will play Gran Turismo are hugely disappointed because they cannot put reproductive organs nor troll faces on their cars.

3. I am hugely disappointed with the car list. Even though there are only five Nissans and more muscle cars that are added to the series, I can't believe they never put in the Discovery One from 2001 after seeing they put in the moon rover!

4. Also bring back original tracks in the game! Hopefully it would be DLC where I would pay only $50 for a bunch of tracks that are already in older Gran Turismo games I already own.

Please PD!!!
So you want overblown, unrealistic sounds then? I want the cars to sound like they would if I was in them on a real track, that's all. I don't want overblown NFS sounds, that's just ridiculous.

Back