The little details of Gran Turismo

Depends on your definition of fun. It looks cool, makes for a nice gif, but in a game that has to hit a rock solid 60 fps, is it really a good use of the limited processing power available? On the Pro perhaps but what else must be sacrificed to achieve this brief moment of graphic enhancement? The recent digital foundry analysis had the game running at 50 fps or slightly less in large packs of cars. What would the frame rate be under the same conditions with some track dust kicking up? 40 fps? 35 fps? The smartest option would be, and I don't know if this is possible and may even be the case already, to disable this effect in racing conditions and have it available only for solo driving where frame rates are solid.

I see your point. Thing is they're running a mostly solid 60 FPS (even the dropped frames to the 50s is with the 4K mode) and it is still a beta.

Eye candy matters though, particle effects add so much to the overall atmosphere.

Goggles Paesano's spare sets, perhaps?
images
Hey bahney, get me dea vishin gtea wheals

Depends on your definition of fun. It looks cool, makes for a nice gif, but in a game that has to hit a rock solid 60 fps, is it really a good use of the limited processing power available? On the Pro perhaps but what else must be sacrificed to achieve this brief moment of graphic enhancement? The recent digital foundry analysis had the game running at 50 fps or slightly less in large packs of cars. What would the frame rate be under the same conditions with some track dust kicking up? 40 fps? 35 fps? The smartest option would be, and I don't know if this is possible and may even be the case already, to disable this effect in racing conditions and have it available only for solo driving where frame rates are solid.
Meanwhile, PCAR2 is simulating actual water drainage for tracks. I think a little bit of dust on the track will be viable.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, PCAR2 is simulating actual water drainage for tracks. I think a little bit of dust on the track will be viable.
Meanwhile, games put different priorities on different things. You can't expect something on one game just because a different game (that puts it's resources into different areas) does it.

Pcars is going to have dynamic TOD while GTS doesn't/can't.

Meanwhile, games put different priorities on different things. You can't expect something on one game just because a different game (that puts it's resources into different areas) does it.

Pcars is going to have dynamic TOD while GTS doesn't/can't.
I wasnt saying GTS should have it, if that's how you interpreted it. I was provided an example from the PCars series since it's one of GT's competitors, yet it still allocates resources to small details. Devs aren't dumb, if something is bogging down the FPS to the point of unplayability, they'll address it.

I wasnt saying GTS should have it, if that's how you interpreted it. I was provided an example from the PCars series since it's one of GT's competitors, yet it still allocates resources to small details. Devs aren't dumb, if something is bogging down the FPS to the point of unplayability, they'll address it.
You miss my point. Pcars is a competitor that is doing things differently and seem to have the demanding features like that, so they might have it more buckled down in that regard.

Well, history has shown both these devs have been pretty dumb then.

There are a lot of GoPro stickers on cars, GoPro billboards on tracks and even actual GoPro inside some cars. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "partnership" with GoPro for custom cameras in GTSport.
I also noticed that. And at a certain point we will see more RedBull insertions in game. Combi TagHeuer, GoPro and RedBull.

I also noticed that. And at a certain point we will see more RedBull insertions in game. Combi TagHeuer, GoPro and RedBull.

I wonder how much money Gran Turismo makes from all that marketing? I can't imagine that they're giving it away for free, or if they are then that's a missed opportunity.

I wouldn't be surprised if PD is the one paying money to use those brands. My line of work deals with licensed products, and the company I work has to pay to use the logos on our items. Not only that, but the use has to be approved by the "owner" of the logo being used.

I doubt the usage of the GoPro imagery is any different for PD, than the use of a car brand like Porsche.

MMX
I wouldn't be surprised if PD is the one paying money to use those brands. My line of work deals with licensed products, and the company I work has to pay to use the logos on our items. Not only that, but the use has to be approved by the "owner" of the logo being used.

I doubt the usage of the GoPro imagery is any different for PD, than the use of a car brand like Porsche.

I read some article before. Kaz said they don't do sponsorship, those companies are the one who wants to work with them.

MMX

I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if PD paid to include sponsors in their games. As far as I can see it massively benefits the companies to have their name in game.

Nice article, but still doesn't shed any light on how exactly they handle company logos in the game. The watch is a partnership between PD and TAG, which probably spilled over into TAG being the official timer of GTS. There's a ton of legal speak involved in all that, I'm sure.

Watching the beta start up, there is a disclaimer, with a statement saying something to the effect, that the appearance of businesses does not necessarily mean or imply sponsorship.

MMX
Nice article, but still doesn't shed any light on how exactly they handle company logos in the game. The watch is a partnership between PD and TAG, which probably spilled over into TAG being the official timer of GTS. There's a ton of legal speak involved in all that, I'm sure.

Watching the beta start up, there is a disclaimer, with a statement saying something to the effect, that the appearance of businesses does not necessarily mean or imply sponsorship.
For TAG Heuer, the boss is interested in these collaborations.

I see it that way as there's a link between what's said and what's done. GTP posted that article about the TAG Heuer watch and within it is the information I'm referring to.

https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-smart-watch-coming-via-tag-heuer-partnership/

"The partnership with Yamauchi and Gran Turismo represents a continued push towards a younger demographic for the famed watch maker. Other recent brand ambassadors include French DJ David Guetta and fashion model Cara Delevingne. As times change and new traditions emerge, Tag Heuer seems well-placed to capitalize on that. Biver acknowledges as much with the upcoming FIA championship in GT Sport:

'We are excited to partner for this official FIA world championship because gaming deserves that. It’s a true sport, it deserves to be treated like a true motorsport and we want to be at the forefront of that."

Music collaboration, fashion model, gaming / sports.

What kind of sponsorship do you mean? Where we would usually see sponsors in a real race, GT logos would take the place of them. With GTS, aren't the only sponsors the ones PD are partners with? I don't keep note of who they are, but is there any company being sponsored who isn't a partner?

Last edited:
I'm not disputing the collaboration, licensing is what I'm referring to, and how company logos are put into the game. I still believe that for logos in general, TAG aside, PD has to have permission to use a logo, and possibly pay to do so. Like I said before, I deal with licensed items on a daily basis, companies don't just let you make money off their logo for free. There's either some sort of collaboration like TAG, money changes hands, or whatever they work out.

Here's the disclaimer for the beta...
Gran%20TurismoregSport%20Closed%20Beta%20Test%20Version_20170521151025_zpszyhuwov4.jpg

Note the first sentence in the second paragraph. Basicly saying not to assume sponsorship, just because it's in the game.

MMX
I'm not disputing the collaboration, licensing is what I'm referring to, and how company logos are put into the game. I still believe that for logos in general, TAG aside, PD has to have permission to use a logo, and possibly pay to do so. Like I said before, I deal with licensed items on a daily basis, companies don't just let you make money off their logo for free. There's either some sort of collaboration like TAG, money changes hands, or whatever they work out.

Here's the disclaimer for the beta...
Gran%20TurismoregSport%20Closed%20Beta%20Test%20Version_20170521151025_zpszyhuwov4.jpg

Note the first sentence in the second paragraph. Basicly saying not to assume sponsorship, just because it's in the game.
I wonder if, in this case, both PD and the other companies involved might come to the conclusion that there is a relatively equal mutual benefit and only a token amount changes hands to make it legal.

Some things I noticed from the latest update, which should be listed here:
- On the Nordschleife, the spectators noises depend on the size of the crowd and you can hear music playing in the bigger ones.
- Not only are the skidmarks back, you're also leaving trails in the grass and gravel.
- There are fully animated pit crews and other people in the pitlanes now.

Some things I noticed from the latest update, which should be listed here:
- On the Nordschleife, the spectators noises depend on the size of the crowd and you can hear music playing in the bigger ones.
- Not only are the skidmarks back, you're also leaving trails in the grass and gravel.
- There are fully animated pit crews and other people in the pitlanes now.
Don't' forget the sound of birds chirping!

I like that attention to detail. Getting the mustang turn signals right is a really cool touch. Hopefully other aspects get the same treatment in the finished product.

👍 Can't wait to see what becomes of the headlight colors.

Last edited:
Back