The Sierra Time Rally Thread

• Thread starter Haitauer
  • 244 comments
By far the worst events in the game. Why? Because of the insanely slow and clueless AI. It's like you're not even there, until they decide to box you in or ram into you on purpose. I am disappointed in you PD.

I'm pretty sure this was done purposely. Avoiding them is part of the challenge. (i.e. No collision penalties)

et_
First try (but with a lot of resets):

Fiat: 2.6k
VW: 2.7k
Ferrari: 2.2k

I really dont like how the AI behave.

How did you get 2.2k in the Ferrari? I can only get 826,000.

I got a 'perfect' run and a silver trophy but I can't get any more points or the gold trophy.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

:)

How about brushing the AI cars in slower corners or wherever it won't slow you down? Are they too unpredictable for doing that on purpose to make sense? I noticed in the Scirocco rally the MB is sometimes the first car, far behind the next one.

How did you get 2.2k in the Ferrari? I can only get 826,000.

I got a 'perfect' run and a silver trophy but I can't get any more points or the gold trophy.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

:)
Speed I suppose, I did quite a few resets because the AI where banging into me, once I learned how they drove, I managed to pass all of them cleanly, without having to slow down too much.:)

If you were faster right from the start, you would have seen the new 500 abarth as the first car right before the old SLS...
How about brushing the AI cars in slower corners or wherever it won't slow you down? Are they too unpredictable for doing that on purpose to make sense? I noticed in the Scirocco rally the MB is sometimes the first car, far behind the next one.

If you were faster right from the start, you would have seen the new 500 abarth as the first car right before the old SLS...
Yep the 500 is that other car. I briefly looked into it, there's more into this than just total time and whether the player is behind the car or not, that determine a bot position. But wouldn't it be weird to have rubberbanding in this mode?

Oh there's a "game over" sample :lol:

By the way, I don't suppose there are known caps for speed / jump bonuses? I was surprised they are so high for the Ferrari.

In an attempt to figure out how the point system works:

I did a run in 10:21, wich gave 2,773,376 pts
I then improved 5 seconds to a 10:16 wich gave 2,867,361 pts
I think I got 67 passes the first time, and 69 passes the second time.

The jump bonus and speedtrap bonus only add to your time, so is more or less incorporated in the time aspect.
However, the number of passes is counted separately, and gives 10,000 pts per pass (if I remember correctly).

Also, I've noticed that sometimes you get a whole bunch of cars to pass, and you catch up to the cars after that way before you are supposed to, but at the end of the lap that will even out so the number of passes remains the same in the end.

As an ending thought, I think its better to use the nos early on, in order to get more passes early on and hence build up the multiplier early on.

And ofcourse you'll need a perfect run or you'll be way off, if you do a mistake at the beginnig or the end of the lap, that is'nt so bad, but if you do a mistake at the halfway mark, you'll easily loose a milion pts on that alone.

I don't suppose there are known caps for speed / jump bonuses? I was surprised they are so high for the Ferrari.
As far as I know, the cap for jump bonus is 5, and the cap for speed bonus is 3. and they are set in proportion to the car you are using.

Last edited:
This weekend I'll give the Fiat a 3rd try (3rd time's the charm, right?). So far I'm just around 830,000. Reading through the thread, it appears as though the key is to not lose your bonus in the middle of the lap.

Even though I've failed to this point, I must admit I'm having a lot of fun.

et_
As far as I know, the cap for jump bonus is 5, and the cap for speed bonus is 3. and they are set in proportion to the car you are using.
I recalled I had a jump bonus of +6 at the first spot which is early on. Had to check but my gold run had a +5 so I tried once more, got a +7. Though then a wall will greet you. 6+1 seems okay.

Last edited:
These are really fun events in concept, but the AI are beyond awful. They often swerve side to side as you approach them, its like trying to get by a randomly moving target. :scared: If someone did that in real racing they would quickly get banned. It wouldn't be real bad if they at least did the same thing each run, but they don't. Would be much better if they just stayed on the racing line, very simple to implement too.

Great events though, except that 2 of the three use front wheel drive cars and the physics are wacky with the combo of FF + SRF.

I recalled I had a jump bonus of +6 at the first spot which is early on. Had to check but my gold run had a +5 so I tried once more, got a +7. Though then a wall will greet you. 6+1 seems okay.
Then I'm probably wrong:P

et_
Speed I suppose, I did quite a few resets because the AI where banging into me, once I learned how they drove, I managed to pass all of them cleanly, without having to slow down too much.:)

I think I'm just going to have to keep resetting too.

I had a fourteen combo and fourteen overtakes but still didn't get enough points to get a bronze!

It's going to be a long haul. :(

Finally managed a clean lap in the Ferrari, after a lot of re-sets, to get gold.

Seems as long as you keep your combo for a perfect lap and have about 20 seconds left you can get over 1M for gold.

The VW one was the most fun though I thought, but that was probably due to SRF as I would have been in the grass normally!

More of these type events would make a change and freshen the game up for me.

et_

Highest speed bonus I've seen on any car is 3 , jump 8 (that I got away with)
I even got a 10 jump bonus in the GTO by getting launched in air by AI car , lost multiplier bonus at that point and went off track.

I need to add some friends to my PSN list so I can compare myself better. (currently only have two friends that have done these challenges)

cjr3559 is my PSN ID if you have room in your list. :)

Highest speed bonus I've seen on any car is 3 , jump 8 (that I got away with)
I even got a 10 jump bonus in the GTO by getting launched in air by AI car , lost multiplier bonus at that point and went off track.
Yeah, as @Thematic said, I did'nt do my research there, so you're right.:)

I need to add some friends to my PSN list so I can compare myself better. (currently only have two friends that have done these challenges)

cjr3559 is my PSN ID if you have room in your list. :)

I haven't got many friends who have done it either, I'll add you.

I'm not sure if this is normal :lol: :

I came across that same little 🤬. I felt like ramming his ass right off the road :mischievous: after I finally caught up to him to pass. I must have spent a good 20 seconds or so watching that little steroid on wheels dispatch of everything in his path. :lol: I think Kaz may be trolling us with hybrids now. :lol: Kinda like, "Alright you guys, you want to hybrid cars, I'll show you hybrids....getcha some of this!!!!" :lol:

Latest Posts

Back