The Watch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Silverzone
  • 1,456 comments
I've got a Ford watch, but I can't actually use it. Whenever I wear a watch, be it on my left arm or my right, it either stops, speeds up, or slows down. I can't wear any type of watch. I've even tried those rubber sport ones. It's something to do with the amount of static in my body... or something. I'm an oddball like that. :D

Just picked up this guy to add to my repertoire; Nixon 'The Unit':

I wanted a more outdoorsy/rugged/waterproof watch, plus I love rubber/silicone bands. It even has a thermometer! Very happy with it so far!

I wonder what that thing on the bottom-left corner is. Some sort of gauge?

Edit: OK, that is ridiculously huge!!! :lol:

42mm for the case is not that big (46mm+ is getting to dinner plate size...the TW Steel a page or two back was 45mm+), but that pic you linked has a dude with 5" wrists. Women have bigger wrists, so it looks gigantic on him :lol:.

42mm for the case is not that big (46mm+ is getting to dinner plate size...the TW Steel a page or two back was 45mm+), but that pic you linked has a dude with 5" wrists. Women have bigger wrists, so it looks gigantic on him :lol:.
My bad, I think my watch's about the same size. :lol:

42mm for the case is not that big (46mm+ is getting to dinner plate size...the TW Steel a page or two back was 45mm+)

Yep. My TW is 45mm. My brother's is 50mm. Here they are for comparison:

watches.jpg

A noticeable difference in size.

I've got a Ford watch, but I can't actually use it. Whenever I wear a watch, be it on my left arm or my right, it either stops, speeds up, or slows down. I can't wear any type of watch. I've even tried those rubber sport ones. It's something to do with the amount of static in my body... or something. I'm an oddball like that. :D

This is quite a well-known phenomenon in certain circles. Do lights blow in your presence sometimes? Computers freeze? Does the cash register crash when you get in line? The odd AR-15 gets jammed when pointed at you? The first signs that you have PK abilities is that your watch starts acting up.

--------------------------------

Orient watches are actually quite good, had some in my time, together with Citizens, and Seikos.

I wear nothing but Bulova now.

Got another one:

Will be for outdoorsy stuff (hunting, fishing, camping, quadding etc). Compass (actually works very well) and thermometer, nice big clean face.

Friends just bought me a Skagen as a late birthday present. Chuffed to bits actually as I was eyeing one up beforehand. Not as blingy and showey as some Skagens but I think it'll win over in the long run. Not sure whether to have this or my Swatch Irony Body and Soul as a daily. Spose I could just make do with my Casio digital...

958xlsl_2.jpg

Boffin
Friends just bought me a Skagen as a late birthday present. Chuffed to bits actually as I was eyeing one up beforehand. Not as blingy and showey as some Skagens but I think it'll win over in the long run. Not sure whether to have this or my Swatch Irony Body and Soul as a daily. Spose I could just make do with my Casio digital...

Be careful with the crystal on it, for whatever reason Skagen crystals are ridiculously fragile. Nice looking watch though 👍! I do really like Skagen's quite a bit.

Be careful with the crystal on it, for whatever reason Skagen crystals are ridiculously fragile. Nice looking watch though 👍! I do really like Skagen's quite a bit.

Will do! Thanks for the heads up! Cheers!

Some nice new & old watches in here. :lol:👍 I especially like the Casio with the compass. That is trick. :drool:

Used to wear the Diesel watch I had a lot (this is really a big one BTW, even bigger than the TW Steels).

384765_2751265664465_1611348575_n.jpg

But a few months ago, I bought this one from Ferrari (a lot smaller :D):

556394_4194815432307_239807728_n.jpg

I cycle through a bunch of watches depending on what I feel like wearing. The most unique is this one:

DSC_0977.jpg

(Everyday Carry pic is the only one I have convenient with the watch in it)

It's a limited-edition Japanese Citizen, which uses the same movement as the Navitach series, and is very subtly branded as a Gundam tie-in, with just the Earth Federation Space Force anchor logo on the face, EFSF on the clasp, and some licensing info on the caseback. I'm not sure how many exist, but mine is numbered in the low hundreds. It's a pretty small-faced watch, so I basically only wear it for dressy occasions these days, since it's not really the style for casual wear.

I wear my Suunto Core quite frequently, since it's tough and comfortable. I got it for about $60 bucks as an unworn display model at REI's garage sale a few years back!

Suunto Core by MaxArcher, on Flickr

I really like the iPod Nano as a watch, and the HEX band is nice, but I don't wear it too often because I'm so afraid of breaking it. You get used to having a bit of water resistance with a watch, and this thing's got none whatsoever, so taking it off when washing hands or anything like that is a necessity.

iPod Nano + Hex Vision Watchband. by MaxArcher, on Flickr

I've had this Wenger for years, and swapped the band on when the original one wore out. It's a good everyday watch, but the battery's been dead for a while, so I really need to go get it changed.

IMG_0904.jpg by MaxArcher, on Flickr

Lately, though, I've been wearing this Fossil.

91JkUG%2BEIrL._SL600_.jpg

Picked it up for $40 on clearance at Nordstrom Rack. I like the machine cuff or whatever they call it, and the finish is cool too.

My cheap Nokia phone. For security reasons.

I do have a nice Seiko watch, given to me by my aunt in my 15th birthday. She's the "leader" of the house, so it meant a lot to me and it's a somewhat valuable watch ($250 or so) and that's why I don't wanna risk getting mugged for it. I also like that it looks very complicated (I know zilch about clocks/watches, I only know GT2 had a "Timing by Seiko" banner :lol:) with plenty of dials and one specially for showing the phases of the moon. I sometimes wonder if it's a ladies watch but honestly I don't care, I like it anyways.

Snapshot_20120825.jpg

Got a new watch two days ago. No brand names since it's really a Chinese cheap thing. It just a Binary LED Watch. The band broke on the first day(faux leather strap and buckle broke), got refunded for the broken watch, got to keep to watch, and had the band replaced with a real leather band.

178135_433912393324807_615772309_o.jpg

It runs on a CR2032 battery and you can tell the time by adding the top left numbers for hours and add the bottom numbers for minutes. It also tells the month in the top left and days in the bottom numbers. Plus it has the top right LED's to tell if it's AM or PM. A total of 14 LED's. The watch can also be set to turn on for 5 seconds to show the time every 15 minutes. There is also other copies out there that have 4GB of storage and is able to record video or has a titanium shell.

TISSOT_WATCH_PR50_TITANIUM_T34.7.481.61_original_img_1318385107_89_.jpg

A few weeks after my grandfather passed away I had lunch with my grandmother for the first time again and she suddenly placed 3 of his watches on the table. She said I should pick one and I picked this one, knowing it's the one he's been wearing until he passed away. Quite literally, he had it on when he passed away in the hospital at the age of almost 93. And that's why I picked that one.

I have since engraved his name and the year of his birth and death on the backside and I doubt I'll ever buy a new watch. No matter how much I have to spend on repairs in the years to come.

Well, the old watch couldn't be fixed :ouch: So after analyzing hundreds of different watches, I went back to another Aviator. Same overall design, but different colour, not to mention unlike the older one where only the hands lit up in the dark, the numbers on this one do as well.

avw7770g59_2.jpg

Don't know why but there's something about this watch which makes me go back to it.

japanmovtonea20165.jpg

I got this one as a gift few years ago (In 2008 to be exact, just checked), it says "JAPAN MOVT o.n.e A20165" on the backside and o.n.e on the face, 3 ATM water resistant quartz, nice and thick glass. It's not showing real time in the picture because it has ran out of battery. :grumpy:

I don't wear it now because it's too big for my skinny wrist. Maybe I should go to a jewelry store and ask them to trim it just a bit, so I could wear it without dropping it or wrapping it around my forearm and potentially looking like a complete fool. :dopey:

Last edited:
Back