The Weather Thread

• Thread starter dbartucci
  • 12,561 comments
A tornado touched down nearby during the day. It hailed a little bit here and then lightning started. Then in the evening, Zeus was having a bit of fun I think.

_DSC3487-4
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

_DSC3530-12
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

_DSC3706-31
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

_DSC3751-34
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

_DSC3649-27
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

Absolutely no rain or thunder (except for the 3rd picture. It sounded like the earth was being blown up) at all. An amazing experience watching the lightning flash through the clouds for like two hours.

Furnace Friday is coming...

Heatmap_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqlWuujQ8rEbI6Fa9UuPYf1ZlFrUoYflD0JYYr8i2vtDU.jpg

It's pretty low at the moment, around the 50/60% but yeah it's building massively with the heat coming Friday. Will be like a tropical jungle by then.
Weirdly where I am about 60 miles north of London, where it's 33°C today, it's supposed to be "only" 28 tomorrow. I think that 37 figure is confined only to quite a specific area of the southeast.

This afternoon, I had to use my windshield wipers 3 times. Amaziing, 3 times. Who says that miracles don't happen.

It is more than 30°C in my bedroom at night.

My drive home was exciting. Trees were down, the roads were flooded and my wipers decided to bend themselves out of shape in the middle of the worst rain shower. Luckily I was in traffic and managed to pull over and bend them back into position well enough to get home.

Now we are getting light showers with constant thunder and power cuts. Humidity is rising but the temperature has finally dropped to 19°. Much better :D

37C, so that's what 98F? Normally, I'd say that's not too bad but I have to assume that the UK gets a stupid amount of humidity.

Luckily here it's consistently over 100 but the humidity is typically less than 10% and sometimes it's even 0% (which is a bit of a misnomer but still).

Joey D
37C, so that's what 98F? Normally, I'd say that's not too bad but I have to assume that the UK gets a stupid amount of humidity.

Luckily here it's consistently over 100 but the humidity is typically less than 10% and sometimes it's even 0% (which is a bit of a misnomer but still).

Humidity really add's to the perception of temperature so 37 C feels more like mid 40's especially to people who are not used to it. Also this country pretty much has no AC!

The funny thing with the UK is that it's usually quite humid all year round (maritime climate etc) but because the temperatures are low its not noticeable. In this heat wave the humidity was extremely low but now it's reached a tipping point (sky is too saturated) and become very humid leading into huge thunderstorms.

A few moments ago, it rained .................... for about half a minute. :ouch:

The sun is back.

I have been prespiring most of the night, it is that hot in my bedroom. Even with a fan.

It looks like my Mum and sister picked the right time to be heading home from Southern Spain... :crazy:

It is possible that the all-time heat record for Europe could be broken this week, with 48°C possible in Portugal.

Everyone stay safe in continental Europe tomorrow. Could be the hottest day recorded there IN HISTORY!

Meanwhile in the UK things have finally cooled off, garden looking happier now but I'm sure there are more heatwaves and lack of rain to come.

90F yesterday, 65F today and heading back into the upper 80s to low 90s Friday. Annoying. :irked:

Here we go again. More than 34°C as of today. But I think we are lucky if you compare our 34°C and more with the temperatures in Spain and Portugal.

We've been hovering around 42*C (108*F) lately. Off and on monsoon storms (no rain in my area - it avoids me :( ) Worst part about monsoon season is the humidity. ~85% in the morning, ~50% in the afternoon. That's bad around here when you're not used to it. Washed my car this morning at the butt crack of dawn (5am) and was still dripping sweat.

And last night...

38405133_10155843956348230_328281229654753280_o.jpg

The hot spot currently in Siberia is quite interesting. Just as unsual as much of the weather going on globally at the moment.

Take about an extreme heatwave, the temperature has swung from the usually brutal -32 C to +3 C.

Today and tomorrow, it's going to be around 37°C. If the weather forecaster is correct, it is going to be 15°C colder this friday.

*Going to buy a winter vest* I can stand the heat very well but everything below 10°C (maybe even 15°) is way too cold for me.

Back