Time to Separate DS4 & Wheel User Races.

• Thread starter jayr1399
  • 93 comments
Of whom? Wheel or DS4?

You're not being terribly clear.

I currently use both, with the DS4 on motion steering. The wheel only comes out of a weekend, when I have more time to race.

How do you know, in game, that the erratic actions are from one method of steering?

The game gives no indication of input.

A motion steering DS4 can be as smooth as a steering wheel.

What if a user has a wheel, but is not too good with it?

How do you seperate?

The idea of separation is daft but to be fair one can spot DS4 users, well those that use the pad anyway. They (we) steer with little jagged inputs and are not the best at really close racing as it's hard to be precise.

By no means am I great at this game but I thoroughly enjoy it.
After all it is titled as "The Real Driving Simulator"
I just feel like it would level the playing field for both parties.
Like I said, just my opinion...

By no means am I great at this game but I thoroughly enjoy it.
After all it is titled as "The Real Driving Simulator"
I just feel like it would level the playing field for both parties.
Like I said, just my opinion...

The playing field is level.

DS4 users have made it to World Tours and Regional Finals. Not everyone better than you has a wheel, and there are probably people slower than you with wheels. Wheels don't necessarily make someone quicker.

You wouldn't level the playing field, merely split it up, and you'd end up racing against fewer people. Come on, put some rational thought into this.

Please understand...
I did not mean this derogatory in any way.

What did I just say???
I am by no means great at this game!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The DS4 has a motion sensor, so it's only people's own fault if they insist to steer with L3 like it's still 1999. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it should be prohibited to post a thread title like that without an elaboration to follow in post #1.

The idea of separation is daft but to be fair one can spot DS4 users, well those that use the pad anyway. They (we) steer with little jagged inputs and are not the best at really close racing as it's hard to be precise.

This would be completely imperceptible after lag, and subsequent smoothing out of client upload packets by the game itself.

Maybe you can tell in your own replays watching yourself, but (IMO) watching other people in replays, there's no way you'd know their controller type.

This would be completely imperceptible after lag, and subsequent smoothing out of client upload packets by the game itself.

Maybe you can tell in your own replays watching yourself, but (IMO) watching other people in replays, there's no way you'd know their controller type.

Go to 8.25, you can see it there, by 8.40 it's glaringly obvious i am on controller to take the main curved straight. i am the guy in the rear view.

This is like the Butter Battle Book, but with racing nerds.

However, it doesn't hold a candle to that time last year when this wiener baby wanted to enforce cockpit cam as the only view mode for all Sport Mode races.

I steer with the left stick and often got asked what wheel I use. You can be very smooth with the DS4. The trick is to roll the left stick along the outer edge, pretty much using it as a little wheel. I never jerk it straight across or have the stick floating in the middle.

Also you might want to check your DS4 in other games. Some develop problems with the analog sticks introducing dead zones which will cause your input to jump over certain ranges.

Yet I wouldn't mind to be separated from wheel users that think they can drive without TCS and keep sliding and spinning out in front of me :lol:

one can spot DS4 users, well those that use the pad anyway. They (we) steer with little jagged inputs and are not the best at really close racing as it's hard to be precise.

it's glaringly obvious i am on controller to take the main curved straight.

Why the hell would you use, if I'm reading this correct, an on/off digital input method to steer? Do you use X/Sq as accelerate/brake too?

I steer with the left stick and often got asked what wheel I use. You can be very smooth with the DS4. The trick is to roll the left stick along the outer edge, pretty much using it as a little wheel. I never jerk it straight across or have the stick floating in the middle.

Its perfectly possible to have smooth inputs with the sticks without the "rolling" method. I don't roll but can still have smooth inputs. Like anything its just a matter of getting used to it. For instance in GT6 I was used to using the DS3 analogue X\Sq buttons as accelerate\brake but then moving to GTS, and the DS4 with its digital buttons, I had to switch to the right stick for accelerate\brake (I don't find the shoulder buttons comfortable for sustained use... I wish Sony would "borrow" the positioning of the XBox' triggers... but I digress). At first it was a disaster, but as with most things, I eventually got used to it.

Last edited:
Do you use X/Sq as accelerate/brake too?
Yup. Comfort level. It's what I've always used, and doing it any other way feels too weird/foreign to me. I understand the limitations, and am ok with that.

I bought a new G29 wheel/pedal setup at Christmas time. Used it for about 15 minutes, and haven't touched it since. The force feedback bothered me, even with the settings at minimum.

I can and have raced against wheel users plenty of times before. Not only that but I have beaten them. Yes there are some guys on wheels who are extremely fast and cannot be matched by controller users. However that is a very small percentage. There is no point isolating those on wheels from those on controllers because in the end, it reduces the amount of players in each race. And after the recent regional splits, it's not what we need.

Ha ha. Good point. I don't have anything solid to attach it to. I will get something, at some point, and try again, if I can figure out how to completely turn off force feedback.
stanley-all-trades-cutting-pliers-84-105-64_1000.jpg

;)

Speak for yourself.

Back