Time to Separate DS4 & Wheel User Races.

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by jayr1399, Jan 8, 2019.

1. jayr1399

jayr1399

Just my honest opinion.

2. GTP_TO Blue

GTP_TO Blue Premium

Why? Please elaborate.

Marc30599 likes this.
  3. jayr1399

jayr1399

#1 The erratic actions.

4. VeeDoubleU

VeeDoubleU

Of which? And how do you know?

At least fully explain your idea rather than a title and an incredibly vague point only as a response.

F1FOUAD and _ApexPredator like this.
  5. CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Oh yes fewer players each race. Also separate them between PS pro and regular PS and at and manual transmissions.

6. VeeDoubleU

VeeDoubleU

Go one step further and base it on specific wheel or specific colour of Dualshock4. We can't have people with the GT Sport Edition of the DS4 going against basic Black DS4 Users can we

7. GTP_TO Blue

GTP_TO Blue Premium

Of whom? Wheel or DS4?

You're not being terribly clear.

I currently use both, with the DS4 on motion steering. The wheel only comes out of a weekend, when I have more time to race.

How do you know, in game, that the erratic actions are from one method of steering?

The game gives no indication of input.

A motion steering DS4 can be as smooth as a steering wheel.

What if a user has a wheel, but is not too good with it?

How do you seperate?

Sven Jurgens likes this.
  8. NevilleNobody

NevilleNobody

The idea of separation is daft but to be fair one can spot DS4 users, well those that use the pad anyway. They (we) steer with little jagged inputs and are not the best at really close racing as it's hard to be precise.

svenvangent and jayr1399 like this.
  9. jayr1399

jayr1399

By no means am I great at this game but I thoroughly enjoy it.
    After all it is titled as "The Real Driving Simulator"
    I just feel like it would level the playing field for both parties.
    Like I said, just my opinion...

Majorwolf72 likes this.
  10. VeeDoubleU

VeeDoubleU

The playing field is level.

DS4 users have made it to World Tours and Regional Finals. Not everyone better than you has a wheel, and there are probably people slower than you with wheels. Wheels don't necessarily make someone quicker.

You wouldn't level the playing field, merely split it up, and you'd end up racing against fewer people. Come on, put some rational thought into this.

11. stpatty

stpatty

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but I've had a look at your stats. I use a controller and I am considerably better than you, and I don't think I'm any good. I don't think the problem is where you think it is.

12. jayr1399

jayr1399

Please understand...
    I did not mean this derogatory in any way.

What did I just say???
    I am by no means great at this game!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2019
  13. VeeDoubleU

VeeDoubleU

Nothing is being considered derogatory, it is just considered illogical.

Pigems, Loverson, CrimsonKing and 2 others like this.
  14. Groundfish

Groundfish

NOOOOOO!
    Good ones are great

15. Nielsen

Nielsen

The DS4 has a motion sensor, so it's only people's own fault if they insist to steer with L3 like it's still 1999. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it should be prohibited to post a thread title like that without an elaboration to follow in post #1.

Sander 001 likes this.
  16. ARTAsean

ARTAsean

This would be completely imperceptible after lag, and subsequent smoothing out of client upload packets by the game itself.

Maybe you can tell in your own replays watching yourself, but (IMO) watching other people in replays, there's no way you'd know their controller type.

17. NevilleNobody

NevilleNobody

Go to 8.25, you can see it there, by 8.40 it's glaringly obvious i am on controller to take the main curved straight. i am the guy in the rear view.

sturk0167 and jayr1399 like this.
  18. sturk0167

sturk0167

L3? Ha ha. Too high tech for me.
    D-Pad, baby! Like it's still 1985.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  19. mthomas_95

mthomas_95

Speak for yourself

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood

This is like the Butter Battle Book, but with racing nerds.

However, it doesn't hold a candle to that time last year when this wiener baby wanted to enforce cockpit cam as the only view mode for all Sport Mode races.

KK78 likes this.
  21. ThaSyn

ThaSyn

Don'tsupport this idea, but I think it should be visible who uses what.

K3Tuning likes this.
  22. Vegard

Vegard

He's talking about the D-pad.

23. Sven Jurgens

Sven Jurgens

I steer with the left stick and often got asked what wheel I use. You can be very smooth with the DS4. The trick is to roll the left stick along the outer edge, pretty much using it as a little wheel. I never jerk it straight across or have the stick floating in the middle.

Also you might want to check your DS4 in other games. Some develop problems with the analog sticks introducing dead zones which will cause your input to jump over certain ranges.

Yet I wouldn't mind to be separated from wheel users that think they can drive without TCS and keep sliding and spinning out in front of me :lol:

Rinsky, K3Tuning and sturk0167 like this.
  24. DJShadesUK

DJShadesUK

Why the hell would you use, if I'm reading this correct, an on/off digital input method to steer? Do you use X/Sq as accelerate/brake too?

Its perfectly possible to have smooth inputs with the sticks without the "rolling" method. I don't roll but can still have smooth inputs. Like anything its just a matter of getting used to it. For instance in GT6 I was used to using the DS3 analogue X\Sq buttons as accelerate\brake but then moving to GTS, and the DS4 with its digital buttons, I had to switch to the right stick for accelerate\brake (I don't find the shoulder buttons comfortable for sustained use... I wish Sony would "borrow" the positioning of the XBox' triggers... but I digress). At first it was a disaster, but as with most things, I eventually got used to it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Sven Jurgens likes this.
  25. sturk0167

sturk0167

Yup. Comfort level. It's what I've always used, and doing it any other way feels too weird/foreign to me. I understand the limitations, and am ok with that.

I bought a new G29 wheel/pedal setup at Christmas time. Used it for about 15 minutes, and haven't touched it since. The force feedback bothered me, even with the settings at minimum.

K3Tuning likes this.
  26. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

I can and have raced against wheel users plenty of times before. Not only that but I have beaten them. Yes there are some guys on wheels who are extremely fast and cannot be matched by controller users. However that is a very small percentage. There is no point isolating those on wheels from those on controllers because in the end, it reduces the amount of players in each race. And after the recent regional splits, it's not what we need.

CrimsonKing and DJShadesUK like this.
  27. DJShadesUK

DJShadesUK

Seems like a fair evaluation period :rolleyes:

28. sturk0167

sturk0167

Ha ha. Good point. I don't have anything solid to attach it to. I will get something, at some point, and try again, if I can figure out how to completely turn off force feedback.

29. Sven Jurgens

Sven Jurgens

[​IMG]
    ;)

30. phil_75

phil_75

Speak for yourself.