Time to Separate DS4 & Wheel User Races.

• Thread starter jayr1399
  • 93 comments
Yup. Comfort level. It's what I've always used, and doing it any other way feels too weird/foreign to me. I understand the limitations, and am ok with that.

I bought a new G29 wheel/pedal setup at Christmas time. Used it for about 15 minutes, and haven't touched it since. The force feedback bothered me, even with the settings at minimum.

I dunno but suspect since GT6 PD bugged G wheels. That clank on feedback switch so bad on SSRX in the bank OMFG either way we are talking pretty much 20 year old tech internals (25cent motors) with new PS4 buttons..... Twice the price..... Nobody should buy it as a lesson to Logitech stop fleecing your customers. TM is soooo smooth you never want to touch a G wheel again.

I use a DS4, and in this video I'm in the GTR. This was a great defensive move by T5Black, but required some smooth + careful driving from each of us to come out without contact!

Are those jagged movements caused by people tapping the stick to turn? I've never done that on a DS4, I move the stick smoothly to make the vehicle's movements nice and smooth. It won't be as smooth as a wheel but it certainly doesn't look like the video posted on the first page.

Its not really a possibility. There can't be that many people who just use a wheel to race. Wheels costs money, like PS plus and Internet. Not all will cough up.

Again, he's talking about the D-pad. Can you make smooth steering inputs with the D-pad?

I managed to get all golds in the driving school, mission challenges and track experience with a DS4 while waiting for my DriveHub to show up, I’m faster with a wheel but I can drive just fine with a controller. :)

Please understand...
I did not mean this derogatory in any way.

What did I just say???
I am by no means great at this game!!!
So cause your not great at the game, and now looking for other reasons to blame is what i get out of your response.

The thing is, there are certain things that affect your race. I think with a wheel you can push the tires longer as in more tire life, whereas with DS4, the tires will go faster.

Same if someone drives with TCS 1 and someone drives without TCS. With TCS 1, you have a higher fuel usage I believe.

Again, he's talking about the D-pad. Can you make smooth steering inputs with the D-pad?
Why would anyone use the D-pad?

Left stick to steer allows for perfectly smooth steering input. Likewise the triggers allow you to perfectly modulate accelerate/brake independently.

Just my honest opinion.
I agree, the differences is similar to playing with a battery remote control car as opposed to sitting in the driver's seat.

I'm much faster with ds4 than wheel; but I switch to wheel for the past 3 years sacrificed slower lap times and will never go back to ds4.
To explain:
1) I used flyby/bumper cams with ds4 = better range of vision; but use cockpit view with wheel=less visual range but more realistic (fun factor).
2) its much quicker to steer with fingers using ds4 than using more of the entire body to operate a wheel.
3) ds4 is twitchy and easy to rebound from a steering mistake, while the wheel is smooth and less forgiving on steering mistakes.

In my opinion, ds4 vs wheel is not on a level playing field it should atleast be a shown in-game label of whose using wheel or ds4 so you will know who you are racing against.

Last edited:
I would like to KNOW who is using what. I am a DS4 user, and I know I am not great - maybe not even good. I don't blame it on my controller choice. There are other factors - time in the game, familiarity with the track/car combination, and my age.

I think it is intuitive that a wheel enables more precise control than a DS4 controller. It certainly adds to the realism. Did you see anyone in the championship videos using a DS4? Granted I did not watch all of them, but it looked like wheel setup for everyone. I find it hard to imagine a DS4 user in the championship having to compete using a wheel for the first time.

The DS4 can have certain advantages - like going wheel lock to wheel lock on a wheel as quickly as you can with the L stick - or motion control.

My point is that there are lots of data points I would like to know about the best of the best, and my post race results:
  • Controller
  • Settings
  • Time in the game/track/car
  • Age (group)
  • Maybe even gender (odds are male)

The controller is one factor in the results, but it is the primary interface between the human and the game - seems an important one.

Go one step further and base it on specific wheel or specific colour of Dualshock4. We can't have people with the GT Sport Edition of the DS4 going against basic Black DS4 Users can we
Segregation of controller users based on color... Sounds oddly (and horribly) familiar to me...

I agree completely. Given that there are some great players using a controller I about had it with pad users jittering in front of me and bumping me three times in a one second overtake, even at a B S level.

Since the game knows who uses what at least give me the option as a lobby host to ban pad players.

Man, some of the attitudes in here are rather unfortunate. I hate that there's such divisiveness within the GTS playerbase over this issue. I use a DS4 and have never had a problem sharing the road with wheel users. In fact, I'm not even that good with a DS4. I'm pretty slow compared to a lot of the players I've competed against.

I wonder, If I mentioned I use an analogue joystick, might there be a danger it could send the OP over the edge?

I agree to extent but everyone is devided up enough with the region lock. This would just make it worse.

This game is very easy on DS4 anyway, i can hardly tell if someone is using it in the SR99 lobbies.

I steer with the left stick and often got asked what wheel I use. You can be very smooth with the DS4. The trick is to roll the left stick along the outer edge, pretty much using it as a little wheel. I never jerk it straight across or have the stick floating in the middle.

yup that's what I do too. It effectively gives you a slightly longer X axis than the straight line left to right stick travel...

Ha ha. Good point. I don't have anything solid to attach it to. I will get something, at some point, and try again, if I can figure out how to completely turn off force feedback.
You could use what I use. My G29 is attached to a fold-out TV tray. I have to pick the tray up by the wheel and reposition it a couple times per race. I really need to come up with a better mount...

I play on a controller and I see no problem with having wheel users and controller users sharing the track. I've played on a pad since I started in 2013 and have not had any issues with collisions directly caused by the fact that I use one.

For further reference, I use R2/L2 for gas/brake respectively, and steer with the left stick.

I use both wheel and DS4 depending on the game, but for GT Sport, I use the G29 wheel. It squeaks. It shakes. It doesn't have much force feedback, and I use a racing chair setup. I don't think that I'm better than anyone just because I have a wheel.

You could use what I use. My G29 is attached to a fold-out TV tray. I have to pick the tray up by the wheel and reposition it a couple times per race. I really need to come up with a better mount...
This is my racing setup.

Attachments

• 266FF1C4-BEBB-46D4-BF02-1C91B451F789.jpeg
    266FF1C4-BEBB-46D4-BF02-1C91B451F789.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 38
Back