Time Trial Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter El_Beardo
  • 2,194 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my updated suspension settings for the A110.
View attachment 931918
My current best lap is a 33.117 and for now that is about all I can get. The leader can go about 2 mph faster around turn 2 with a tighter line and I have no idea how. Especially given that I am about equal to the leader in every other part of the track.

Excellent lap Good job.

I am currently at a 33.005 with my same tune except for rear toe now at 0.40. If I can get to a 32 I will do a turn by turn tutorial video within the next few days. Also to note, my time is with a controller so the tune I use may not work with a wheel.

Edit: now I improved a whopping one millisecond, though I think I can go a bit faster.

Edit 2: Now I'm at 32.984 and will upload the tutorial when I get a chance.

Last edited:
I am currently at a 33.005 with my same tune except for rear toe now at 0.40. If I can get to a 32 I will do a turn by turn tutorial video within the next few days. Also to note, my time is with a controller so the tune I use may not work with a wheel.

Edit: now I improved a whopping one millisecond, though I think I can go a bit faster.

Edit 2: Now I'm at 32.984 and will upload the tutorial when I get a chance.

I find it interesting how different everyones tunes are for this car. I have only had Sunday to try this TT so far, hopefully I will get more time in this coming weekend. I ended up with a completely different tune up and got down to 33.8 good for top 100 at the time with limited time running, cant wait to try some of these set ups. Hopefully I can find a few more tenths.

D4C3CEB3-608D-4F3E-8FD2-E444FCAA75EB.jpeg
Tune is getting close :)
0:32.879 BB-5
Had to lift the ride height, noticed on replay that the front hits ground when braking.

After well over a thousand miles and getting a perfect lap (with my tune) of 32.905, after no more attempts for four days and so far only 21 miles today, I have ran a 32.825 which is tied for 9th in the world.
I was given a tune anonymously and I'll just say that it is worth examining my car before and after because one change is pretty obvious.

Edit- 32.775

Last edited:
A rally time attack with BOP? Time to break in the Quattro!

Quite happy to be seeing Alsace getting some love as well. It's quite a nice track to drive around freely in, not my strongest but with these time trials, I can surely make it one of my strongest tracks. Wondering what the META cars will be for each time trial?

After well over a thousand miles and getting a perfect lap (with my tune) of 32.905, after no more attempts for four days and so far only 21 miles today, I have ran a 32.825 which is tied for 9th in the world.
I was given a tune anonymously and I'll just say that it is worth examining my car before and after because one change is pretty obvious.

Edit- 32.775

Just out of curiosity can you talk about your anonymous tune yet??

First session going up for me, I'll take a break and wind down since my arms are quite tired now! :boggled:
However, I did do some good times with the RCZ Gr. B (since I went at it purely based on the car's P/WR alone, and the RCZ Gr. B had the best one on paper), starting off with a 1:21.6, dropping that down to a 1:19.4 almost inmediately, and then beginning to claw away at the lap time bit by bit. I am in the top 50 right now, but there is still some work left to do.

I might end up trying another car out of the garage, since I own almost every Gr. B vehicle (thank you Collector's Edition) just to change it up, most likely the WRX Gr. B or the Lancer Evo. Final Gr. B. For those curious, I did experiment a lot with the RCZ Gr. B, with CSA on and off, brake balance fine-tuning (which I found the best was -5, at least to my personal preference), attempting to fine-tune the power / torque distribution (by changing it according to whatever corner I was in, found it a hassle and it didn't improve my lap times, so I left it in a 40:60 split) and even experimented with some TCS usage (setting it to 1 at the corner exit and quickly to 0 again in order to see if it would give me a small boost), but that one didn't pay off either, it's always faster to manage your throttle and keep the TCS to 0.

In terms of the track layout, I broke down a checklist of the basics for setting a fast lap. Since I do want to help those that may want to get a foothold in the time trial, I'll post them:

*1: Fly by the first corner as close as you can to the right hand barrier, downshift to 5th gear, throttle manage so you don't understeer and clear the second corner at high speed.

*2: Clear the third corner in 4th gear (again controlling your throttle, I found that even though a drift may seem faster it really was not). Going into the fourth corner, the long U, start in 4th, try to get the car into a small slide, downshift to 3rd gear to exit at full speed (entering in 3rd makes you drift the whole thing, which looks cool but it is slower. Also don't try handbraking it, didn't work and I just understeered into the wall).

*3: You can clear the fifth corner at around 95% throttle.

*4: Sixth corner is where the lap is made or broken and it broke a lot of my runs, I haven't quite figured it out too well to be consistent but from what I gathered you have to take it in 3rd gear, slightly drifting the car, hitting the apex as close at around a 90~ish° angle, and then full power onto the straight with minimal countersteer. If you go too wide, as you may do by instinct, you WILL lose time there and it really affects you.

*5: The seventh corner can be taken at around 90% throttle. Don't wait too long though, I found it's best to enter it flat out, let go for a split second, and then back on the power inmediately was enough to not hit the wall.

*6: The eighth, ninth, and tenth corner sequence can be taken in 2nd gear and it´s quite tricky to do; you must take the eight corner really tight to the inside to not lose time, same for the ninth corner. In the tenth corner, go up to 70km/h before upshifting to 3rd gear to prevent excessive wheelspin.

*7: The last corners can be cleared flat out (the jumps are a pain though, they seem to be quite random. Sometimes you get launched like SpaceX and sometimes your car remains planted, it has screwed up some of my runs :mad:)

*Best time for the session: 1:18.837
*Calculated optimal time taking into consideration my best sectors: 1:18.237

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200702154019.jpg

Second time trial session up for me, ran laps at Alsace for around an hour or so. I am quite tired now, so I decided to stop; it was definitely a lot of fun though, I love the Alsace road course. The overall pace of the circuit is never broken and it flows very nicely when you're driving at the limit. :D

I took a peek at the leaderboards before setting my first benchmark for my lap times, and happily saw that there are a variety of Gr. 3 vehicles all around the board. Most of them were the Aston Martin DBR1, but nevertheless I thought it'd give me some room to experiment with the enormous selection of 3 cars that I have on my garage. I tried the GT-R Gr. 3 first, but quickly let go of it as it felt janky and weird to control in my opinion. It was always on the ragged edge, losing traction easily out of the slow speed corners and it wasn't very consistent. The basic tune that I usually do didn't help it either... :odd:

Here came the saving grace, the FT-1 Gr. 3. This car is, from what I've seen, massively underused and underrated in favor of the ever popular Supra GR Concept Gr. 3. It seems to me that they are like two opposing brothers; while the Supra focuses on straight line speed and is quite difficult to handle in low speed corners, the FT-1 is very controllable, especially with a tune. I always begin my tuning bases by matching the ride height on the front and rear, stiffening the rear sway bar a bit, putting both toe angles at 0°, adjusting the LSD to almost minimal values and adjusting the transmission to fit the track better on a guesstimate of possible top speed, then name it Base. The FT-1 responded pretty well to the tune and I went from my best lap time of 1:54.427 in the GT-R (which was fought for and took a lot of effort, I really don't understand how to handle that car, maybe I should give it more time) to a staggering 1:52.851 in the FT-1, in the second lap of the session. Needless to say, I was very happy. :)

With some more effort accompanied by the newfound hype around the Toyota, I quickly drew up multiple tuning paths. It all ended on a variation of the second tune (which, due to OCD issues, all have to be named in a pattern, therefore this one is named S2-B), which makes it a bit understeer-biased, but very controllable in any corner and neutral in general, making it accessible and consistent. I do drive with a controller, so it may not work for a wheel user, but I do think it is worth a shot to post it here and see if someone does find it useful. I am trying to engineer the understeer out of the car, but it's going to take some finesse and I am way too tired to keep lapping Alsace. Here you have the tune:

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200703011726.jpg

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200703011736.jpg

*Best time for the session: 1:52.192
*Calculated optimal time taking into consideration my best sectors: 1:51.924

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200703011758.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back