TOCA Race Driver/V8 Supercars - new videos

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 39 comments
Yeah, apparently - those BTCC shots in the MG, man, that racing looked SO good, just like the old TOCA. Just wait for the moaning that the AI's too aggressive!

:eek: :eek:
:drool:

Do you think it looks as good as GT3 or better. I cant decide

I love the agressive driving, if people moan bout it. they have never seen BTTC in their life they are just as agressive in real life. I am so looking forward to this game. Im hoping it has I.Link capabilities 😈

Indeed!

Hey, does anyone know if this is supporting USB force feedback wheels? Given that there's a PC version and the reputation of Codemasters I'd be very surprised if it didn't, but it'd be nice to know.

I've seen very little about this game. It is nice to see "4 / 14" for the position in one of the videos. That means there'll be at least 14 cars on the track.

Are the F1 games a full field? And what is a full field these days ... 28?

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic
I've seen very little about this game. It is nice to see "4 / 14" for the position in one of the videos. That means there'll be at least 14 cars on the track.

Are the F1 games a full field? And what is a full field these days ... 28?

~LoudMusic

Codemaster's spiel for the game mentions 14 car fields, which is great!

The F1 games do run full car fields - it's 22 cars at the moment. I think there's a maximum of 11 or 12 teams (not sure, pretty sure it's 11, as it was 20 cars last year and Toyota had the 11th franchise). Obviously that impacts on the graphics (don't need to YOU that), but it probably helps that you can get away with one car model and just put different skins on it.

Originally posted by vat_man
Obviously that impacts on the graphics (don't need to tell YOU that), but it probably helps that you can get away with one car model and just put different skins on it.

You know, that makes sense, but hadn't crossed my mind before. They may not be able to use the exact same model for all the cars, but they would definitely be able to be used quite a few times. Maybe a total of 5 wire frames, and then just a bunch of different skins.

Interesting ...

~LoudMusic

Well, I know the cars in GP3 all used the same skin - GP4 may use more technically correct cars.

Sony's Formula One 2001 had some small variations in the cars - you might recall the McLarens had quite low noses that year - but I think nose height was about the only variation.

Ah, yeah. That wouldn't be too noticable in a video game ... unless they really crank up the video quality. It also depends on how the engine is written. If it's not written for efficiency (and most software these days isn't ...) then it doesn't matter if the cars are IDENTICAL, the "machine load:number of cars" ratio is going to be exponential in growth.

Bah. I just want a turn in the real thing. 180mph around town would be enough to make me happy for a while.

~LoudMusic

Bah. I just want a turn in the real thing. 180mph around town would be enough to make me happy for a while.

~LoudMusic

I sat in Alesi's '90 Tyrrell once (the first high nose one, I started a thread with shots of it a couple of months ago), and whilst I got in there, I would certainly have been unable to operate any of the controls, as I couldn't move my arms or legs - and I'm not a big guy, only 5'10 and reasonably slim.

I sat in Alesi's '90 Tyrrell once (the first high nose one, I started a thread with shots of it a couple of months ago), and whilst I got in there, I would certainly have been unable to operate any of the controls, as I couldn't move my arms or legs - and I'm not a big guy, only 5'10 and reasonably slim.

Well I'm two inches (4.5cm?) taller than you, but I'm a whopping 140lbs (sorry, I'm not going to do conversion on that one for you).

So F1 drivers are kind of like horse jockies? Those guys (and gals) are some of the smallest 'full sized' adults I've ever seen.

~LoudMusic

Well I'm two inches (4.5cm?) taller than you, but I'm a whopping 140lbs (sorry, I'm not going to do conversion on that one for you).

So F1 drivers are kind of like horse jockies? Those guys (and gals) are some of the smallest 'full sized' adults I've ever seen.

~LoudMusic

140! Put some friggin weight on!!

Seriously though, I remember seeing Hakkinen run past after a car breakage in qualifying at Adelaide in '93, and he's a fairly little bloke - I'd be guessing around 5'7 - 5'8, but whippet lean.

140! Put some friggin weight on!!

Seriously though, I remember seeing Hakkinen run past after a car breakage in qualifying at Adelaide in '93, and he's a fairly little bloke - I'd be guessing around 5'7 - 5'8, but whippet lean.

What's a whippet? Some kind of crazy Australian plains critter?

Hey! What's wrong with 140? I'm a runner ... "Cross country runners do it longer" (:

~LoudMusic

Whippets are a smaller version of greyhounds, they're about 2/3rds the size. They're quicker in a straight line but have no endurance.

Only stirring on the weight front - I know how hard it is dragging my fat arse up hills when I'm running, so I'm actually jealous.

Whippets are a smaller version of greyhounds, they're about 2/3rds the size. They're quicker in a straight line but have no endurance.

Only stirring on the weight front - I know how hard it is dragging my fat arse up hills when I'm running, so I'm actually jealous.

Aaahhhh, I love hills. Need the hills. Attack the hills. Hills ... goooooood. Oddly though, downhills are hard for me. I can't stretch out my stride and take advantage of gravity ... though gravity has a tendancy to take advantage of me.

~LoudMusic

We've got an event coming up next month (which my whole taking up running in the first place was based on) called the City to Surf, and basically the whole first half of the course is steep uphill and steep downhill. It's run from the Sydney CBD, up to Watsons Bay, and then back down to Bondi, about 14.4km or so.

I don't mind the downhill, the only thing I find is I have to focus really hard on maintaining technique to avoid jarring my knees.

We've got an event coming up next month (which my whole taking up running in the first place was based on) called the City to Surf, and basically the whole first half of the course is steep uphill and steep downhill. It's run from the Sydney CBD, up to Watsons Bay, and then back down to Bondi, about 14.4km or so.

I don't mind the downhill, the only thing I find is I have to focus really hard on maintaining technique to avoid jarring my knees.

Sounds like fun! Ha ha ...

Technique on the downhill - I think you're onto something. Being 'graceful' on a downhill stretch can be rather difficult. And the added impact on your knees and hips can wear you out as fast (if not faster) than flat ground.

What kind of surface do you jog on mostly? I find myself on asphalt 90% of the time, but jogging in parks on crushed gravel, or even a dirt trail, are my favorite. It's so much easier on the bones.

~LoudMusic

Sounds like fun! Ha ha ...

Technique on the downhill - I think you're onto something. Being 'graceful' on a downhill stretch can be rather difficult. And the added impact on your knees and hips can wear you out as fast (if not faster) than flat ground.

What kind of surface do you jog on mostly? I find myself on asphalt 90% of the time, but jogging in parks on crushed gravel, or even a dirt trail, are my favorite. It's so much easier on the bones.

~LoudMusic

Don't laugh - they're expecting 50-60,000 runners!

I run on a treadmill during the week in my lunchtimes on weekdays (Tue-Wed-Thu, Mon & Fri are weights), usually 2-3 miles of pretty intense hill work each day.

Sunday is long distance day, usually 15-25km - I tend to run on asphalt if I can, but given the distances I can't avoid running on concrete. There's usually a bit of grass and gravel work in there, depending on what route I take.

I'm very careful about runners and socks. I'm running the current model Asics Al-Kayano (or however you spell), and the Thurgow (sp?) socks - I'm terrified of doing a long term injury. My partner's brother just put himself out of action for 6 months with feet fractures (which he confessed he'd ignored for about 18 months!), and the last thing I want to do is bugger up my golf and bodyboarding.

Don't laugh - they're expecting 50-60,000 runners!

I run on a treadmill during the week in my lunchtimes on weekdays (Tue-Wed-Thu, Mon & Fri are weights), usually 2-3 miles of pretty intense hill work each day.

Sunday is long distance day, usually 15-25km - I tend to run on asphalt if I can, but given the distances I can't avoid running on concrete. There's usually a bit of grass and gravel work in there, depending on what route I take.

I'm very careful about runners and socks. I'm running the current model Asics Al-Kayano (or however you spell), and the Thurgow (sp?) socks - I'm terrified of doing a long term injury. My partner's brother just put himself out of action for 6 months with feet fractures (which he confessed he'd ignored for about 18 months!), and the last thing I want to do is bugger up my golf and bodyboarding.

Well, my dailies are farther than you, but I don't know that I've ever actually done 15km at one time. That's ~9.3 miles? I think my max is something like 8.6. I should just wake up early tomorrow and go for a nice 3 hour jog. My running buddy is headed out of state for a week, and I need to take advantage of the lack of slower partner.

I don't know that I've ever been that concerned about shoes. I do want my feet to feel good, but I don't do much research. I just go to the store and find something that feels good. Right now I've got some New Ballance that fit fairly well, but they're about half a size too small. I need to replace them before the tips of my toes start blistering.

My dad twisted his ankle in a marathon some 30 years ago - it's never been the same since. Maybe I should learn from his experience and pay more attention to what I'm putting on my feet. Or maybe where I'm placing my feet.

~LoudMusic

When I took up running I swore I'd be careful. I played cricket for many years and used to keep wickets (cricket's equivalent to the catcher - you know, the hardest work in the field, and then expected to save the side with the bat!).

With the continual crouching and standing, plus running from a crouching position, it's superhard on knees, ankles and hips - so basically my legs are just an accumulation of old injuries...

When I took up running I swore I'd be careful. I played cricket for many years and used to keep wickets (cricket's equivalent to the catcher - you know, the hardest work in the field, and then expected to save the side with the bat!).

With the continual crouching and standing, plus running from a crouching position, it's superhard on knees, ankles and hips - so basically my legs are just an accumulation of old injuries...

Ah, suckage. I played soccer when I was much younger. The constant running, dodging, jumping, and kicking really wore out my knees and ankles for a time. But that was when my bones were still hardening so it didn't last, thankfully.

Lately I've been playing full contact sports without any pads. Probably not the smartest idea seeing as how I'm a little guy.

~LoudMusic

That must be great fun at Hungary - you'd start lapping cars at the end of the second lap!

Have I ever mentioned that I'm half Hungarian? My grandfather would be proud of me to be pointing that out.

Hey everybody! I'm Hungarian! We're bad ass mathmatitions! (but we can't spell for jack ...)

I've got to get a few cool computer racing games. Is F1 2001 on the top of the list? Does it support a Logitech Wheel? I might check that out.

~LoudMusic

I think just about all PC racing games support the Logitech wheels. Even Windows 98 knows it's a Logitech wheel (man that freaked me out when I hooked the wheel to the laptop!).

If you go to the Wingman site you'll be able to download a profile for it.

I managed to get mine to work with Grand Prix Legends, so I imagine F12001 won't be a problem.

holy ****.....yea baby!!!! this game is awesome!!! i will definetly be picking up the PC version of this game. why? higher rez, patches for bugs, and of course mods. oodles and oodles of modzzzzzzzzzzz. muahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa :D
as for the graphics, i think they are better in GT3 in many respects, such as car detail and texture quality. BUT, the game has a bit of a cartoony feel to it, while GT3 looks much closer to reality. still, i like it. i like it alot 😈

Back