Turbo's Realistic Courses Thread | New Track 7/24

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 117 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
The name of that track might change slightly. I forgot what I called it, but I think it's pretty close. I will update it tonight. :lol:

[*]I like to keep the width of my tracks at 0 or -1. If it's a smaller course, less is usually better. It all depends on the layout, with longer courses being wider.

I prefer to keep the technical sections at 0 or +1, with the faster sections wider at +2 or +3. I feel a wider track is best for racing.

[*]Course complexity is usually mixed up. I tend to stay away from the really high numbers, because the game doesn't like to render small, tight corners very well on the big tracks. Most of them end up at the top of a blind hill, and that's usually not very fun. I usually run between 4-7, with a different number for each section. For 3 sector tracks, I'll usually run the higher number on sector 2. To keep things realistic, sometimes straightaways are your friend. :).

I like to run 1 sector at 9 or 10 complexity and 10 corner sharpness. It does require several tries to get a decent topographical layout but those tight corners make it more interesting. And yes, straights are your friend so I also run a lower complexity section to get a decent straight. The track maker always gives you a pit straight, so 1 low complexity section will give you a "back straight".

[*]I run no more than 2-3 sectors per course. This keeps them within dimensions of most real tracks. (2-4 miles)

[*]Keep an eye on the topography map under the track layout. If a sharp corner is at the top of a hill, (shown with a small circle) then I will try to change the sector, or just push the next button.

Agreed.

Do you think you'd be able to post images of the actual circuit diagram? It would make things a lot clearer.

Yeah, forgot to do that. I'll get some pics tonight, although I won't be able to post them until Monday.

Here's a couple more. I will have internet access starting thursday, so these will be available for sharing after that.

dunhill_msp.jpg

owenshill_speedway.jpg

Nice Work. Has anyone made any older GT tracks (Red Rock Valley, Motegi, El Capitan, etc)?

The track editor cannot be used to create "actual" circuits, whether they're real or exist in a game. The reason is because you do not have control over the placement and angle of individual corners - you can only alter the settings for overall sectors around the circuit.

I've been wondering - I live close to Road Atlanta and have driven the course several times now. I'd love to have it in GT5. Would it be possible to mess with the editor until I got the settings right to approximate the shape and length of the track, then randomly select different topographies until I found one that fit the hills and valleys of the real thing? Has anyone tried to duplicate a real-world road course yet?

He's just saying you can't be precise about it. With enough messing around, I'm sure you could get close to the same profile of the course. If you could, then you'd have to get the terrain close. I'm just asking if anyone's really tried a real course and what kind of success they had.

I've been wondering - I live close to Road Atlanta and have driven the course several times now. I'd love to have it in GT5. Would it be possible to mess with the editor until I got the settings right to approximate the shape and length of the track, then randomly select different topographies until I found one that fit the hills and valleys of the real thing? Has anyone tried to duplicate a real-world road course yet?

I agree Road Atlanta would be one great track to create along with Mid Ohio and Road America just to name a few. You would think PD would have put more American race tracks in the game to get more interest in it from the USA.

I don't see how American racetracks would generate sales. Interest, sure. Sales... probably not.
As a Canadian it would be cool to see Mosport or Gilles Villeneuve Circuit, but it's not influencing my purchasing of the game.

I don't see how American racetracks would generate sales. Interest, sure. Sales... probably not.
As a Canadian it would be cool to see Mosport or Gilles Villeneuve Circuit, but it's not influencing my purchasing of the game.

We could say the same about your tracks too. I for one think the US has a lot of great tracks...

Road America, Watkins Glen, Sonoma... Personally I'd rather drive any of those than Laguna Seca. lol

Road Atlanta is good, VIR is pretty good. The rest I feel kinda 'meh' about. I'd love to see vintage circuits (that no longer exist because they are too badass dangerous) re-created. Think about the original Spa or Hockenheim or Monza or Reims.

You can't randomly select topographies. Each style of track is ONE topography, which can have track laid over different parts of it. The topography looks different because it's shifted to fit onto the map with the track in the center, but it's all from the same big topography...

nice tracks. but i just say, the track editor is crap.
i dont wana make random tracks. i wanna say 100m straitght then up a hill in a curve... but only random shizzle is not that what i want.

so when the editor stays like that. i just can say its crap!

so when the editor stays like that. i just can say its crap!

I wouldn't go that far. Sure we can't recreate real tracks, but the track "generator" as I like to call it can actually come up with some good tracks. As per my examples on the first page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back