What are you Eating/Drinking?

• Thread starter Super-Supra
  • 22,199 comments
20161203_133429.jpg

A spring mix, croutons, bacon crumbles, shredded cheese and ranch dressing salad.

What is wrong with me?!?

I hadn't had a McDonald's in a long time, perhaps over a year, so I thought I'd grab one for convenience sake and to see if it was still the same bland crap I used to eat all the time.

Worst meal I've had in ages. Has the flavour and texture of cardboard (McNugget meal) and before I was feeling hungry, after this I just feel sick.

Flith. Don't know why I bothered.

Today's a national holiday here, so we gathered some close family for lunch.

uRWKQaml.jpg

For starters (from left to right): garlic cream cheese, hard cheese with ham cubes, cheese and olive mousse and pieces of prosciutto.

vlzUDN8l.jpg

Pizza 1: Caramelised red onions, honey, walnuts, mozzarella and goat cheese.

PMlomNQl.jpg

Pizza 2: Caramelised red onions, prosciutto di Parma, basil and two types of cheese.

S2kyfmWl.jpg

Dessert 1: Tiramisu

nR7MDi7l.jpg

Dessert 2: Peanut butter cheesecake (the biscuit base is crumbled Oreo and butter)

s0TGqaJl.jpg

I repeat: Peanut butter cheesecake (the biscuit base is crumbled Oreo and butter)

I could hibernate right now for two months...

Homemade knoephla soup. Need to tweak the dough ball recipe to add a bit more flavor (I'm thinking garlic), but... :drool:

I had some leftover bacon/swiss cheese dip and no chips/crackers, so I heated it up and put it over some pasta for dinner.

I had a hankering for chicken wings last night, but I got myself a whole chicken and roasted it - but it was a little disappointing. It's tricky to get it so that the chicken is moist and not overcooked, but with the skin crispy - I managed to fail on both counts, but was particularly disappointed that the skin was not crispy at all and the copious amount of seasoning I used didn't seem to work. So, as a last ditch effort to rescue my dinner, I took all the skin off and just ate the chicken as normal, but put the skin back in the oven to cook separately. The end result was pretty fabulous... the baked chicken skin was like a cross between fried chicken, grilled bacon and pork scratchings, and probably about as healthy as those things combined - extremely tasty, would definitely eat again.

I had a hankering for chicken wings last night, but I got myself a whole chicken and roasted it - but it was a little disappointing. It's tricky to get it so that the chicken is moist and not overcooked, but with the skin crispy - I managed to fail on both counts, but was particularly disappointed that the skin was not crispy at all and the copious amount of seasoning I used didn't seem to work. So, as a last ditch effort to rescue my dinner, I took all the skin off and just ate the chicken as normal, but put the skin back in the oven to cook separately. The end result was pretty fabulous... the baked chicken skin was like a cross between fried chicken, grilled bacon and pork scratchings, and probably about as healthy as those things combined - extremely tasty, would definitely eat again.

How'd you cook the chicken in the first place? Also, what weight was it?

How'd you cook the chicken in the first place? Also, what weight was it?
Rubbed it in a bit of oil, added seasoning, put it in on a baking tray and then covered the whole thing in tin foil - I should have taken the foil off after about an hour I reckon, but the last time I didn't use foil the oil was smoking so badly that it stunk the house out, hence the foil... as for the weight, I don't know but it was a 'medium' chicken that would do for two people...

I only ever cover Turkey's in foil, don't need to for a chicken, generally for a 1.8kg bird:

Out of fridge a good half-hour before it goes in the oven.
Prepare and if it's got any, I'll use the fat flaps (!) inside the bird on top of the breasts and not oil, but they don't always have the flaps.
180c for 1hr40 for 1.8kg, then a few minutes resting as is, then cover in foil for minimum 20 minutes for proper resting.

Also, smoking oil, how hot is the oven? You might also find that if it's a supermarket chicken it'll smoke more anyway cos the quality is often 🤬. You might be using too much oil, which would also hinder crispy skin.

Fan or Gas?

Fan or Gas?
Fan...

... as a follow-up, I decided to try making salt and pepper chicken wings, with only a very light coating of olive oil (to help the seasoning stick) and more salt than you can shake a... erm, salt shaker at. I dried the wings with a paper towel first and then added the seasoning (rock salt and ground black pepper), and bunged them in the oven at max temp for 45 minutes... the result was pretty fabulous, although the first batch were just a tad too salty... but since I was also drinking a beer (what are the chances!?), they were pretty good. The second batch (with a bit less salt) were great, though by this point I had already peaked on the whole chicken wing novelty factor.

I'm aiming to do something a bit more refined with either chicken wings or some other part of a chicken that has a decent amount of skin on it (which I realise is pretty much any part, but never mind) - are there any decent recipes/ideas you might recommend?

A guy at work brought me some homemade egg nog.

20161222_224635.jpg

That is some tasty, tasty stuff and the recipe must be acquired.

Back