What are you Eating/Drinking?

• Thread starter Super-Supra
  • 22,261 comments
FkLSpHM.jpg

It's way too hot here these days, so we went with some sandwiches and lemonade for lunch.

Sandwiches had homemade mayo, egg, tomato, tuna and onion. I ate three of these.

The lemonade also had cucumber, which made it interesting.

Root beer float. @TexRex, since you know everything about food. How does one prevent that unwanted foam when making a root beer or coke float?
Pour the cola first and let the foam subside or pour the cola gently into a pocket between the scoop of ice cream and the glass/mug, with it tilted as you'd pour a beer for which excessive head is undesirable.

Another approach may be introducing acid. I'm no chemist, but I seem to recall reading that the casein proteins in the dairy are what stabilize the bubbles, making them less susceptible to bursting. Acid may help to destabilize those bonds. Or it may not, because you've got carbonic acid in the cola already. Acid also increases the likelihood that the dairy will curdle, though cream is much more stable than milk.

I embrace the froth, frankly.

Hahah! And you won't believe what I just had for breakfast!

Ice cream. Low fat chocolate.
And no Cashew nuts? Blasphemy.

Google-ing "sheer willpower". Must be somekind of donut I guess.

Pour the cola first and let the foam subside or pour the cola gently into a pocket between the scoop of ice cream and the glass/mug, with it tilted as you'd pour a beer for which excessive head is undesirable.

Another approach may be introducing acid. I'm no chemist, but I seem to recall reading that the casein proteins in the dairy are what stabilize the bubbles, making them less susceptible to bursting. Acid may help to destabilize those bonds. Or it may not, because you've got carbonic acid in the cola already. Acid also increases the likelihood that the dairy will curdle, though cream is much more stable than milk.

I embrace the froth, frankly.

I tried reversing the order of operations (ice cream first, root beer second). It cuts the foam by maybe 1/3 (so I still get most of the foam). I've tried this before many years ago, and I settled on trying to pour carefully. Now that I see it in action though, I think that pouring carefully enough is just not possible. The foam is just a reaction between the ice cream and the root beer and there's just not any getting around it.

So what kind of acid are we talking about?

giphy14.gif

I tried reversing the order of operations (ice cream first, root beer second). It cuts the foam by maybe 1/3 (so I still get most of the foam). I've tried this before many years ago, and I settled on trying to pour carefully. Now that I see it in action though, I think that pouring carefully enough is just not possible. The foam is just a reaction between the ice cream and the root beer and there's just not any getting around it.

So what kind of acid are we talking about?

giphy14.gif
:lol:

I was thinking lemon or lime juice, which would probably work better with a standard caramel cola than root beer.

Like I said, I embrace the foam. I'd make Coke floats and cream Cokes when my daughter was younger, and we'd race to clear out all the bubbles by sucking them through a straw. That meant we were sucking lots of air which invariably led to burping, and that's obviously fun(ny) when you're a kid or a kid at heart.

:lol:

I was thinking lemon or lime juice, which would probably work better with a standard caramel cola than root beer.

Like I said, I embrace the foam. I'd make Coke floats and cream Cokes when my daughter was younger, and we'd race to clear out all the bubbles by sucking them through a straw. That meant we were sucking lots of air which invariably led to burping, and that's obviously fun(ny) when you're a kid or a kid at heart.

The foam is not so bad with root beer. But I actually find the taste of the coke foam to be kinda nasty. I end up scooping it out with a spoon, which is maybe the easiest way to handle it. I used to put lemon in coke (back when I drank more coke). It goes well. I should try it with a float.

The foam is not so bad with root beer. But I actually find the taste of the coke foam to be kinda nasty. I end up scooping it out with a spoon, which is maybe the easiest way to handle it. I used to put lemon in coke (back when I drank more coke). It goes well. I should try it with a float.
Citrus and vanilla are a nice pairing as well (go figure that there's both in Coke). You could try a lemon sherbet so that you get the acid already emulsified with the cream and it may be less likely to curdle as a result, or skip the cream entirely with a sorbet. The latter may not yield a stable head if it's indeed something about the cream itself that causes it.

Whatever you do, don't put Sweet n Low in those Bubly drinks. You CANNOT control those bubbles.

Made that mistake at work.

My gardens vine ripened tomatoes
My gardens lettuce/salad mix
My gardens cucumber
Corn cob smoked bacon (not from my garden:dopey:)
Crusty rolls from the deli
Combine them into several mad sandwiches.

I believe I have never had Chilli in my life. I see GTP members eating it and liking it. I see it many times on TV — American TV series. I think I have to try and make chilli and see if it is as good as I think it is.

I don't feel like having a proper breakfast, so I grab some things now and then. So far a few cashew nuts (:sly:) and a piece of my father's chocolate bar.

I believe I have never had Chilli in my life. I see GTP members eating it and liking it. I see it many times on TV — American TV series. I think I have to try and make chilli and see if it is as good as I think it is.
I am liable to catch hell from other Texans, but I think the best chili is made with ground beef and pinto beans.

Probably Pizza for lunch.

I just had two pieces of bread with jam. I still don't know how to call that correctly in English.

Like this:

iu

I had so much chocolate (93% dark chocolate) that I was wide awake when I went to bed last night. It took ages to finally fall asleep. I knew this could happen and still I did it.

I have the last piece of dark chocolate right here ready to be consumed. :lol:

Moussaka for lunch.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back