What are you Eating/Drinking?

• Thread starter Super-Supra
  • 22,318 comments
Sous vide is water submersion cooking, right?

I cook my steak like I would a burger; max 5 minutes on each side on a low heat in a buttered pan, flipping every minute and then generous helpings of salt and ground pepper.

Sous vide is water submersion cooking, right?

I cook my steak like I would a burger; max 5 minutes on each side on a low heat in a buttered pan, flipping every minute and then generous helpings of salt and ground pepper.
Food in a bag in a water bath so it will only get as hot as the water. You can cook food to a lower safe temperature (it basically pasteurizes the food) and it can't dry out because of the constant temps instead of over a heat source.

My wife and I went to a new Thai restaurant today. I got Nam Tok Moo.

file.jpg

It's a bit strong on the mint for me but my wife's Pad Thai was fantastic so well certainly be going back.

On the topic of pizza, I’ve also just had one of the best pies in a very long time. From a place called Michigan & Trumbull in Corktown, Detroit. Was a Detroit style pie and absolutely delicious; half was plain and the other half was hot honey, jalapeño, and sopressata pepperoni. Who knew Detroit has better pizza than New York City?

15FE82F0-B06B-4C9C-A25C-64733CAEE4C3.jpeg

Last edited:
I too, had pizza tonight.

St. Louis style. With provel cheese.

No other humans like it except St. Louis area folk. And that's what makes it ever so sweet.
I'm guessing provel is the St. Louis equivalent to Brick Cheese, the Detroit exclusive that makes Detroit-style pizza so good?

I'm guessing provel is the St. Louis equivalent to Brick Cheese, the Detroit exclusive that makes Detroit-style pizza so good?
I'd assume that to be good way of thinking about it.

Provel is a mixture of provolone, cheddar, and swiss. It's very gooey and almost sticky when it starts cooling.

Fixing to cook dinner, we're having spinach, carrots, fried chicken, corn/blackeyed peas and mashed potatoes with gravy and plenty of it. We bought $250 worth of groceries to last a couple weeks. I've never heard of Provel before but maybe in the future i'll consider trying it out!

Last edited:
Pizza Hut “The Edge” Supreme. It’s been so long since I ordered a pizza, my home address was my previous place, my work address was from two jobs ago, and the debit card on file expired more than two years ago.

I’m not concerned with the calories. I’m drinking a zero-calorie cola, so I’m good, right?
1D02CA5F-A569-4848-B6A8-E2DA03FDB201.jpeg

Pizza Hut is such crap pizza but it can taste so good. More of a doughnut with toppings.

For my dinner I had jam on toast. Since buying a toaster most of my meals have consisted of toast.

Pizza Hut “The Edge” Supreme. It’s been so long since I ordered a pizza, my home address was my previous place, my work address was from two jobs ago, and the debit card on file expired more than two years ago.

I’m not concerned with the calories. I’m drinking a zero-calorie cola, so I’m good, right?
View attachment 1174802
This reminds me of when @TB attacked. 😂

TB
@kolio - 1,500 calorie breakfast. Good thing you got that diet Pepsi. :P

Pizza Hut is such crap pizza but it can taste so good. More of a doughnut with toppings.

For my dinner I had jam on toast. Since buying a toaster most of my meals have consisted of toast.
Pizza hut is one of my favorites bad pizzas.

I'd rank them as...

1. Papa John's
2. Pizza Hut
3. Domino's

Anything else chain wise, I can't be bothered to eat even if I'm drinking at a party.

I never cared for Dominos. I drove for them for a short time in the 90s.

I was in Cabo San Lucas about 10 years ago. We ordered Dominos and oh my god was it so good. The quality of the toppings was outstanding, especially the cheese, it was awesome.

Pizza hut is one of my favorites bad pizzas.
And honestly it was a good pizza. I'm fond of thin crust pizzas anyway. But I'm aware there is better out there. My favorite pizza joint is a local place called Smoking Monkey Pizza. Gourmet pizzas perfectly cooked. I've never had a bad or even meh pizza from them. Every one has been a winner. I love the décor, too. All sci-fi with monkeys.
Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-10.11.49-PM.png

5d851cdc01a73.jpg

Last edited:
And honestly it was a good pizza. I'm fond of thin crust pizzas anyway. But I'm aware there is better out there. My favorite pizza joint is a local place called Smoking Monkey Pizza. Gourmet pizzas perfectly cooked. I've never had a bad or even meh pizza from them. Every one has been a winner. I love the décor, too. All sci-fi with monkeys.
View attachment 1175135
View attachment 1175136
That's cool looking place!

I find pizza as one of those foods where most of the time you'll find a local spot you enjoy more than national chains.

Same goes for BBQ and burgers in my opinion. Mind you, I like a burger from Red Robin, but I'll always take a local spot first when given the option.

I had a Dominos takeaway at the end of my road growing up. I grabbed orders from there several times a week. Then in my mid teens, after ~8 years of eating there, the shop got new management (new franchisee, I think) and it went down hill. I switched to Pizza Hut after that, and frozen pizzas when necessary.
Recently I was in London and went back to that same Dominos and I’m happy to report that the pizza quality had improved from luke warm slop to reasonably enjoyable pie.
These days I only eat chain pizza if my wife orders it. Much rather sit in a local Italian and have a “real” pizza. Saying that, I am a big fan of several American style pizzas that I can’t find anywhere here, especially the Chicago pie.

I know nobody asked for my pizza history but there it is. I was happy to share.

I never cared for Dominos. I drove for them for a short time in the 90s.

I was in Cabo San Lucas about 10 years ago. We ordered Dominos and oh my god was it so good. The quality of the toppings was outstanding, especially the cheese, it was awesome.
But... but the 90's was 10 years ago... right?

RIGHT?

A really ****ing awesome neighbor brought over some fried chicken and sweetcorn fritters. Both were great vehicles for homemade ranch dressing.

Presently nursing a very spicy rye buck.

TB
But... but the 90's was 10 years ago... right?

RIGHT?
What?

I was employed by them in 1995 or so, for a few months as a driver. I didn't really like their pizza.

About 10 years ago I was in Cabo, and loved the Mexican Dominos.

Last edited:
Back