What are you Eating/Drinking?

• Thread starter Super-Supra
  • 22,321 comments
GUjJ9fBl.jpg

I've been drinking too much of the stuff lately. Need to stop it soon.

Superbowl night so I had a bunch of random stuff.

Candied sriracha bacon
Pork bahn mi sammiches
Lobster rolls.
Air fried cajun alligator nuggets
Chicken wings 3 ways, Syberg's, Anchor Bar Buffalo and Suicidal

Plus a few antacid tablets.

I've been drinking too much of the stuff lately. Need to stop it soon.

The trick to smart drinking is not to drink too much of the stuff lately, but to only drink only a bit of the stuff regularly. :mischievous:

This, of course, is not easy to do - even with food (or for that matter any pleasurable activity that involves putting stuff into our mouths.) To have control is a wonderful feeling - for instance if you own a bar. You can't binge-drink everyday.
Same if you own a restaurant - you can't keep pigging out on the caviar for too long without your bottom-line going kaput.

One of the problems with liquor, though, is that the best of intentions fall by the wayside once the alcohol has taken control of a person's neurons - since after all it's your neurons that process reality and (via synaptic and axonic activity) then control your behaviour.
So - before the first drink there you are all sober, in control, and having the best of intentions.
Then that first glass of buttery-soft Cutty 12 goes down your throat and is absorbed almost immediately by your tissues. By the time that glass is over you are a different person to the personality you began with (kind of a mini-evolution.) Suddenly the bottle of Cutty looks like the prettiest thing in the world and you want to kiss it to death. Before you know it you knock down several more ounces, getting high as a kite - after which, really? What matters? All bets have been called off. The 'spirit' has taken control of you and you are not your self anymore.

Responsible drinking takes practise - but when you master it, the world of fine liquors is at your feet. A good servant but a bad master - as many an alcoholic would testify to - alcohol can ruin a person's life very quickly.

So what would be just right, IMO?
A maximum of 3 ounces (@ 40%) at a sitting if you drink regularly. 2-3 days skipped within the week for recuperation.
This way you may drink on 4 days and skip 3.
The occasional 6-8 ozs (that would be the binge-drinking) is alright at a party or other celebration after planning how you are going to be looked after afterwards - and that shouldn't happen more than once a month.

All this, as I said, requires control, but as with any form of control (as an ace photographer you would be no stranger to 'control') it takes practise - and you will continue to experience the delight of a great single malt, or extraordinary Terroir, or delicious glass of draft without ending up in the gutter. Alcoholism is a disease - it takes control of the body and those who get infected are helpless after that - and actually need rehabilitation to get back to themselves, for the spirit by then has truly taken control of their thoughts and behaviour.
But alcohol is also a great lift, and can be a rewarding pleasure at the end of the day.
The choice is always our own to make. No one else can do that for you.

Now you can pour me a glass of that Cutty. 2 oz on the rocks would do.
I'll keep my spare oz for later.

:cheers:
H

Pepperoni pizza and an A&W "root beer." Gonna get the last bit of carbs in before going keto Thursday.

The trick to smart drinking is not to drink too much of the stuff lately, but to only drink only a bit of the stuff regularly. :mischievous:

This, of course, is not easy to do - even with food (or for that matter any pleasurable activity that involves putting stuff into our mouths.) To have control is a wonderful feeling - for instance if you own a bar. You can't binge-drink everyday.
Same if you own a restaurant - you can't keep pigging out on the caviar for too long without your bottom-line going kaput.

One of the problems with liquor, though, is that the best of intentions fall by the wayside once the alcohol has taken control of a person's neurons - since after all it's your neurons that process reality and (via synaptic and axonic activity) then control your behaviour.
So - before the first drink there you are all sober, in control, and having the best of intentions.
Then that first glass of buttery-soft Cutty 12 goes down your throat and is absorbed almost immediately by your tissues. By the time that glass is over you are a different person to the personality you began with (kind of a mini-evolution.) Suddenly the bottle of Cutty looks like the prettiest thing in the world and you want to kiss it to death. Before you know it you knock down several more ounces, getting high as a kite - after which, really? What matters? All bets have been called off. The 'spirit' has taken control of you and you are not your self anymore.

Responsible drinking takes practise - but when you master it, the world of fine liquors is at your feet. A good servant but a bad master - as many an alcoholic would testify to - alcohol can ruin a person's life very quickly.

So what would be just right, IMO?
A maximum of 3 ounces (@ 40%) at a sitting if you drink regularly. 2-3 days skipped within the week for recuperation.
This way you may drink on 4 days and skip 3.
The occasional 6-8 ozs (that would be the binge-drinking) is alright at a party or other celebration after planning how you are going to be looked after afterwards - and that shouldn't happen more than once a month.

All this, as I said, requires control, but as with any form of control (as an ace photographer you would be no stranger to 'control') it takes practise - and you will continue to experience the delight of a great single malt, or extraordinary Terroir, or delicious glass of draft without ending up in the gutter. Alcoholism is a disease - it takes control of the body and those who get infected are helpless after that - and actually need rehabilitation to get back to themselves, for the spirit by then has truly taken control of their thoughts and behaviour.
But alcohol is also a great lift, and can be a rewarding pleasure at the end of the day.
The choice is always our own to make. No one else can do that for you.

Now you can pour me a glass of that Cutty. 2 oz on the rocks would do.
I'll keep my spare oz for later.

:cheers:
H
Just to be clear, my idea of "too much" is exactly having one glass like the one in the photo, 2 to 4 times a week.

But this definitely feels like too much for me seeing as, in the last 6 months or so, I'm going through my second bottle of scotch and I've never drank before - except for some beers or a glass of wine, of course (and the occasional liquor in a very special event).

Just to be clear, my idea of "too much" is exactly having one glass like the one in the photo, 2 to 4 times a week.

Excellent! Well done - to me this is 'responsible drinking'.
If you feel, however, that you are drinking too much (or worse - cannot resist the temptation when you should; say, for instance just before heading out behind the wheel) then you are eventually going to have a drinking problem. Even 2 ozs 3 days a week adds up to a 750 ml bottle - basically a bottle of Scotch every month.
Always be aware that alcohol is an addiction that can destroys many lives - yours, and many of the people attached to you; as I mentioned before control is the key to responsible and enjoyable drinking.

But this definitely feels like too much for me seeing as, in the last 6 months or so, I'm going through my second bottle of scotch and I've never drank before - except for some beers or a glass of wine, of course (and the occasional liquor in a very special event).

Pardon my curiosity - but what was the first bottle? Cutty Sark is one of the more inexpensive whiskies - but a great bang for the buck and a good choice for any adult exploring responsible drinking and likes to get to know Scotch. I would recommend a single malt for your next purchase - maybe Glenfiddich 12 - or a move to a superfine blend like JW Black. These are great sipping whiskies and if you have enjoyed the Cutty you will most certainly enjoy these - and a bottle a month won't do you the sort of harm that 1/2 bottle-a-day drinkers do to themselves.
Check with your doctor first - as always your particular constitution comes into play - and he might forbid you alcohol entirely.
Otherwise - I look forward to hearing about your new found adventures into taste. :)
Thank you for your responses. 👍

Excellent! Well done - to me this is 'responsible drinking'.
If you feel, however, that you are drinking too much (or worse - cannot resist the temptation when you should; say, for instance just before heading out behind the wheel) then you are eventually going to have a drinking problem. Even 2 ozs 3 days a week adds up to a 750 ml bottle - basically a bottle of Scotch every month.
Always be aware that alcohol is an addiction that can destroys many lives - yours, and many of the people attached to you; as I mentioned before control is the key to responsible and enjoyable drinking.

Pardon my curiosity - but what was the first bottle? Cutty Sark is one of the more inexpensive whiskies - but a great bang for the buck and a good choice for any adult exploring responsible drinking and likes to get to know Scotch. I would recommend a single malt for your next purchase - maybe Glenfiddich 12 - or a move to a superfine blend like JW Black. These are great sipping whiskies and if you have enjoyed the Cutty you will most certainly enjoy these - and a bottle a month won't do you the sort of harm that 1/2 bottle-a-day drinkers do to themselves.
Check with your doctor first - as always your particular constitution comes into play - and he might forbid you alcohol entirely.
Otherwise - I look forward to hearing about your new found adventures into taste. :)
Thank you for your responses. 👍
I appreciate the suggestions, though I don't plan on buying any bottle.

The two bottles (the other was Grant's, by the way) in question were offered to me some years ago and I have decided - even before opening the first one - that I wouldn't make a habit out of this.

It did surprise me how much I enjoyed it and how quickly I went through the first one, though, and that's why I'm saying I need to stop soon.
My intention is to not even finish this second bottle and keep some for more excepcional occasions - and not just for when I'm playing some Witcher 3 late at night. :lol:

I appreciate the suggestions, though I don't plan on buying any bottle.

The two bottles (the other was Grant's, by the way) in question were offered to me some years ago and I have decided - even before opening the first one - that I wouldn't make a habit out of this.

It did surprise me how much I enjoyed it and how quickly I went through the first one, though, and that's why I'm saying I need to stop soon.
My intention is to not even finish this second bottle and keep some for more excepcional occasions - and not just for when I'm playing some Witcher 3 late at night. :lol:

A good decision then. 👍
The bottle of Grants (they are the same family that makes Glenfiddich) was probably a bottle of 12 Yr old (if is was green) or maybe Family Reserve (if it came in a clear bottle with a brown and gold label) - both very fine whiskies.
You are quite smart to realize that your liking for it outweighed your ability to pace yourself, and decided to not make it a habit.
The inability to resist is what leads many a person down the road towards alcoholism.
Alcohol can be very addictive, as I mentioned before - and a mental addiction to it very quickly leads to a physical addiction - a reason why alcoholics sometimes have to be 'dried out' to recover their bodies and bring them back to normal.
Yes - cap that bottle and put it away - and at least you'll have a little something stored away for when the moment calls for a tot that actually celebrates a moment of good cheer. :)

Had some Mexican avocados that were tiny - just a little bigger than a tangerine.
Nature, in all her accumulated and timeless wisdom, comes up with these perfect foods for humans, packaged in a utensil that is disposable and biodegradable. After which even the person who ate the avocado is eventually digested by Earth.
Here is one way I have my avocados, a manner of having it that probably is familiar to some of you. That brown stuff is demerera, but many use regular white sugar when having the fruit this way:

IMG_2033_zpsuaormepm.jpg

IMG_2037_zpsca6t3imv.jpg

IMG_2038_zpsha30z8va.jpg

I remember seeing that post - and also connected it with you - but wasn't 100% sure; thanks for taking me back there. Yes - that is one of the best ways to eat avocados, and I have had it that way since I could first climb an avocado tree - I must have been around 8 or 9 at the time.
I'll never forget my surprise at seeing those huge bulbous green fruits hanging inches away from my nose. The avocado tree happened to be at my aunt's tea plantation; a giant magnificent tree so easy to climb, the grass below it littered with the fruits that had fallen. I tried to eat a fruit fresh off the tree once and got the most unpleasant surprise of my life!
You probably know why. :lol:

There's more avocado on the dining table today - but these are huge - Yuge! Just one cheek would do at a sitting. Mexican produce is extremely common here - so we have plenty of fresh avocado in our stores all year round.

A few minutes to midnight - still the 7th of February here in Scarborough.

7th February + GTPlanet's Food & Drink thread + A Classic Manhattan.
Must be a special day. :D

IMG_2138_zpsih6mx0x3.jpg

I'll let you guys figure it out. :mischievous:

Opened a bag of nacho chips that have been in the cupboard for quite a while.
They were stale.

Tried a pack of Oreo's. Turns out they were stale as well.

I've now thrown in the towel and settled for some cheese. *shrugs* Just couldn't win today.

Opened a bag of nacho chips that have been in the cupboard for quite a while.
They were stale.

Tried a pack of Oreo's. Turns out they were stale as well.

I've now thrown in the towel and settled for some cheese. *shrugs* Just couldn't win today.
If only the nachos were fresh and you had a jar of jalapenos you would be laughing

Dinner just now was this fantastic steak, bloody and with the butter and herbs sauce on top.

Wq3TCbJl.jpg

Some very fine sangria. The wine was nice and the fruits and cinnamon were just perfect.

nrmD4Dfl.jpg

The dessert was this thing which I'll try to describe: think chocolate mousse, but very thick and with bits of crushed, toasted almond and biscuit soaked in brandy.
It was one of the best desserts I had recently, and different from everything else I've tried before.

G2TPOQPl.jpg

I got over the, take pictures of food thing a couple years ago once I realized that it's kind of weird and pointless. :D

Though I have about 10 burger pictures on my iPhone...

A sort of Tiramisu . . ?

I've eaten variations of this before - the use of brandy or some other liquor - and biscuits or ladyfingers layered and smothered in some chocolatey sauce.

This tastes heavenly:

Eggless-Chocolate-Biscuit-Pudding1-7420-700x1057_zpsz8szqfpm.jpg

There's some history to that -

https://www.theflavorbender.com/eggless-chocolate-biscuit-pudding/

- which probably even goes back here:

http://www.britinthesouth.com/choco...ns-crunchie-maltesers-and-digestive-biscuits/

Okay, lots more show and tell:

If avocados could speak then this picture says a thousand words.
The window for a perfectly ripe avocado is extremely small. Judging from the picture, I tried one and discarded it before trying another. That is a story in itself and; seeds that are really big balls; built-in disposable, rugged, reusable receptacle; eye-relaxing colours; nutrition to kill for; a taste like buttered ambrosia; or tender . . .well there's no point giving you the whole thousand words. Look!:

IMG_2119_zpsrvlcjffc.jpg

I love taking photographs but food is a special treat - you get to eat the subjects. :P

Dinner was a mountain of toast slathered in butter and marmalade, with lots of tea.
Then two slices of lemon pound cake.
Then chicken and carrots with rice.
Then a large Rusty Nail.
Then more tea.
This is what I'm made of.

We wait for you to post photos here so we can swallow the air in our mouths :drool: :lol:

I'm actually thinking of putting 35mm on my ignore list. :lol:
That might be a first but all this mouth-watering is soaking my shirt.

Steak and eggs for dinner. Breakfast. Whatever. Feeding time at the zoo.

Followed by 2 oz of JW Red.

A couple of other good whiskeys to try would be redbreast, green spot or connemara. All make great irish whiskey that dont break the bank.

Not easy to find around here unfortunately. The Irish whiskey shelf at most liquor stores is just around six feet long - not much space left after the Bushmills, Jamesons, D.E.W. range is spread around there. I love Irish Whiskey - there is always an opened bottle of Jameson's, staple whiskey, at hand. Tullamore D.E.W. is another favourite. As well, I find most anything Bushmills makes very potable.
Where do you shop?

Long time since I had some J&B ; not had it since I was plied with it by the lady-bartender behind the counter at my cousin's 65th birthday party last fall.
It was such great fun knocking back the scotch while chatting to her about liquor (she knew her stuff) that the taste of the scotch brought back memories of that night.

IMG_2187_zpsk910skbf.jpg

I’m drinking beer. Not a usual thing for me to dine on during the school week.

Where are you located now? Are you in the thick of Chinese New Year and communist beer?

Not sure about your locale, but here, i can just order whatever i need off the interwebs. But then we also have a couple of stores that carry lots of different imbiberies.

Where are you located now? Are you in the thick of Chinese New Year and communist beer?

I’m in Thailand but I celebrate the New Year all the same; it’s somewhat celebrated here by people with Chinese heritage.

TB
First meal on the island - pepperoni Totinos and pear Angry Orchard.

View attachment 714809

So pretty much exactly what I eat at home. :lol:
Something you might like to try.

Line a cookie sheet with foil, and smear it with butter.

The bottom of the crust will be browned and buttery, but the crust will be soft enough to fold it in half and eat it like a sandwich. It's delicious.

Back