What is GT5's WOW factor for you??

  • Thread starter Thread starter STIGGY_34
  • 15 comments
  • 1,594 views
Messages
257
Australia
Kingsthorpe, Queensland
Messages
STIGGY_34
Hi guys just asking what blows your socks off in GT5?
What makes this game special to YOU!!
With PSN down I think it's time we appreciate what we have!
Drop me a line
Please kiddies play nice!!!
 
Last edited:
My favorite thing about GT5 is how so many people get different things out of it.

Some people only do online racing, some do time trials, some operate tuning garages, some collect/trade cars, some drift, some mainly do photomode *ahem*, some only play to get the platinum trophy...

There really aren't a lot of games that can have viable 'communities' for different parts.
 
Finding that moment when it all comes together!

You all know the feeling. A certain car that takes your interest. You give it some love at the shops. Then you take it to the track. The usual tests follow.
1. Change view to see the car in motion.
2. You slow right down to hear the engine purr.
3. You give it some stick and a wiggle to see how it handles.
4. You lap once and it just works.
5. You lap again and again, stopping only to try to fine tune your new ride, without stopping. The times get better as the smile grows across your face.

Now you are in love. A quick photo and you take to the track for a race.

After 2 weeks you return to this car and it still rocks.
 
The sheer versatility of it. It has something to fit my every mood, whether it be competing in an intense high speed race, taking a rally car for a spin on the dirt, buying a normal car & transforming it into some wild or taking my old Beetle, Midget or Fiat 500 for a cruise around the 'ring. So many possibilities... :)
 
The fact it is such a blank canvas, allowing people to go off on wild tangents and take the game into different places... tuning garages, drifting squads, drag racing, online racing leagues, car collecting, paint trading, photography, track days, different disciplines...
 
The game is great. But seeing the detail on the premium cars in photomode made me WOW. Some photo's look just like the real thing, even without photoshopping.
 
Hmm... good question.

The first really WOW moment I remember was driving the '66 Shelby Cobra for the first time. I don't really remember how I even got it so early, maybe I bought it, but it was pretty early on in my play through. Up to that point I was just using pretty normal, modern, cars.

Then, I got in the Cobra and it really felt like I was driving a car, with flaws and quirks and it's own attitude. I was, and still am, amazed at how a videogame can communicate those sensations.
 
For me the WOW factor on GT5 is the same as with the rest of the series. Gran Turismo is a good game, most accurate simulation for the money. Not perfect but who/what is... I still play GT3 and GT4 just to compare to GT5 and I will do so for some more years to come. Some things about GT5 I don't like, but they are not so big that I will stop playing it.
 
Finally, a thread that doesn't criticize the game.

The thing that surprised me is graphic, premium cars features, number of cars, and new circuits.
 
The sheer versatility. There's always some car/track combo which I can choose depending on my mood:tup:
 
Hmm... good question.

The first really WOW moment I remember was driving the '66 Shelby Cobra for the first time. I don't really remember how I even got it so early, maybe I bought it, but it was pretty early on in my play through. Up to that point I was just using pretty normal, modern, cars.

Then, I got in the Cobra and it really felt like I was driving a car, with flaws and quirks and it's own attitude. I was, and still am, amazed at how a videogame can communicate those sensations.

Same for me … the Shelby Cobra on the Nürburgring was the pinnacle of GT4. So one of the very first things I did as soon as I had 500k and the AMG Academy ticked off was buy me a shiny silver Cobra and do countless laps on sport hards and comfort softs, look in the rearview mirror to see tons of smoke and tiremarks …

It's like GT4, just in 1080P, and the physics are much more enjoyable.
 
The best thing must be online mode, since the other gt didnt have that. I like the open lobbys, that you can do what ever you want, and also peoples creativity when it comes to racing. To bad online mode stability isnt the best :(
 
The big things:

-Cockpit view
-Graphics jump (think premiums)
-Improved physics engine
-Track atmosphere


It has its shortcomings too, but overall, I enjoy it a ton.
 
Hi guys just asking what blows your socks off in GT5?

There isn't anything particularly amazing about it to "blow my socks off". I enjoy playing it, but it hasn't really done anything overly amazing.
 
I'm a sucker for intros and the intro for this version wasn't what I expected. I know it's a minute part of the game, something people usually skip but I tend to sit back relax and watch the cgi. GT1 had some really rough cgi and it gave me that impulse to get out there and just race, this versions intro was slightly subdued. However I mean that in a positive way, the way construction along with the music, for me shows chaos being converted into some kind of order.
Mechanical input then human input then back to mechanical and finally back to human with that chaos factor thrown in, it showed that we can create great machines but it really takes something else to control them.
It's not really a wow factor but it's something that I like to watch. I wanted more from the cgi, it didn't give that same feeling as GT1 or GT3. Maybe I'm shallow but intros do a lot for me.
I do appreciate the game, the ingame visuals and physics are great but yeah intros are a big part for me.
 
Back