What's the Greatest Ever TV Car? Have Your Say in Our World Cup of TV Cars!

Discussion in 'Cars in General' started by GTPNewsWire, Mar 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

AlexDB9 likes this.
  2. Famine

Famine Administrator

Edit: Incredibly our Twitter following seems to be less stupid than some of our forum users, so to quickly sum up for the terminally hard of reading:

* This is a Twitter-only poll. We said this right at the start, and it's identical to the World Cup of Movie Cars we did 18 months ago.
    * GTP users already had the chance to nominate cars, for a week. Stop nominating cars. Especially movie cars, which were never eligible. We did movie cars 18 months ago. You are too late on both counts.
    * GTP users already had the chance to vote on nominated cars, for another week. Stop "voting" for cars that aren't in this thread. You are too late.
    * There's 32 cars in the finals, in eight groups of four. Stop asking where "x" and "y" car is; there's a list of cars in the finals and the groups they are in over in the original nominations/voting thread. If the car you would have nominated isn't in there, tough. You are too late.
    * We're posting two polls a day - that's two groups of four cars, or eight in total - not all eight groups at once. There are more to come. There's a list of cars in the finals and the groups they are in over in the original nominations/voting thread. If the car you would have nominated isn't in there, tough. You are too late.
    * No, there won't be a GTP vote as well. Aside from being unworkable and completely open to accusations of corruption, the literal point is for GTP to generate the list (to show how smart our community is, ironically given that I'm having to explain this again) and for GTP's Twitter following (who may not yet be registered forum members) to vote on it.

So, the first poll is Group A:

wcomc-groupa-ateam-gmcvandura.jpg
    The A-Team - GMC Vandura
    When you're undercover soldiers of fortune, what do you need to lie low in? Yes, a black and grey van with an enormous red stripe on it. Driven by Bosco "Bad Attitude" Baracus, usually, the A-Team van contained whatever the team needed at that moment in time, handily. That even included a miniature printing press, because obviously it did.

wcomc-groupa-lovebug-vwbeetleherbie.jpg
    Herbie the Love Bug - Volkswagen Beetle
    Although better known as a film car, Herbie also had a very short TV series in 1982, with Dean Jones reprising his role as Herbie's original owner from the film. The show ran for just five episodes early in 1982, but featured Herbie up to his usual self-driving shenanigans.

wcomc-groupa-simpsons-thehomer.jpg
    The Simpsons - The Homer
    When Homer's brother unnamed car manufacturer CEO Herb (Danny de Vito) sets out to build a car for the average American, he enlists Homer and gives him carte blanche. The result is The Homer - and bankruptcy. Amazingly this car is a one-episode wonder, never seen again, but it's clearly left its mark as a famous TV car!

wcomc-groupa-rockfordfile-pontiacfirebird.jpg
    The Rockford Files - Pontiac Firebird
    This is the first of several Pontiac Firebirds that James Garner's Jim Rockford drives while solving crimes - usually cold cases - in the Rockford Files. Actually a Firebird Formula dressed down to look like a lower model, to give Rockford the semblence of a common man, the Firebirds would be a fixture across all six seasons, and a couple of TV movies too.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    theschledy likes this.
  3. WJHMH

WJHMH Premium

I don't have a Twitter account for obvious reasons, any way the poll can be set up here instead please?

Mad Matt likes this.
  4. Famine

Famine Administrator

WJHMH likes this.
  5. Leggacy

Leggacy

Does anyone remember the car from automan?

6. Aloha62_2

Aloha62_2

'All you need is a twitter account'.

Shame, but nope.

AngryEater, Mad Matt and WJHMH like this.
  7. Famine

Famine Administrator

Better question is how many people remember Automan.
    It's the exact same deal as with our World Cup of Movie Cars 18 months ago. GTP creates the list and votes on it to create the final 32, Twitter votes on the final 32 in the tried-and-tested "World Cup of" format. Which is what I said two weeks ago:

05XR8 likes this.
  8. Jump_Ace

Jump_Ace Staff Emeritus

I wanted to vote for the Homer, but just couldn't do it. A-Team all the way.

Jerome

05XR8, doblocruiser and theschledy like this.
  9. Chikane_GTR

Chikane_GTR (Banned)

Edit - looks like i have to pick one of those

Well never mind then cause they all sucks compare to this :mischievous:

HuskyGT likes this.
  10. Famine

Famine Administrator

You don't have to pick any of them if you don't want to.
    That's in Group F, not Group A, and you'll be able to vote for it on Thursday. This set of four is simply the first of eight groups.

I mean, this was all explained in the first thread, and the second thread, and the article that this is the thread for, and 18 months ago when we did the exact same thing for movie cars.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    05XR8 and Chikane like this.
  11. WJHMH

WJHMH Premium

I'll vote for the The Rockford Files Pontiac Firebird.

sirjim73 and Polsixe like this.
  12. Leggacy

Leggacy

I think you’re right, it was a short run program and wasn’t that popular. The car was a Lamborghini LP400, hmmmm pointy
    001270B4-46B5-4722-9550-D99E564B99AC.jpeg

imported_rik19 likes this.
  13. RaY29rus

RaY29rus

If KITT won't win I will riot

14. Leggacy

Leggacy

What if he comes up against KARR? Or didn’t KARR get made in to a lorry, Goliath? Maybe mis-remembering that.

Also KITT had that really stupid super pursuit mode in the later series? Which version will be consider? I think the SS version sucks

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    05XR8 likes this.
  15. Slapped

Slapped Premium

Whoever doesn't lacks culture - best TV car by a country mile. Instant 90 degree turns without hint of over or understeer - talk about being well balanced.

My vote is 100% for the neon adorned LP400

Leggacy likes this.
  16. Famine

Famine Administrator

And yet it didn't make it into the long list despite a week of that thread being open for suggestions (and my status post reminders), so it's not available to vote for.

We're two steps after the nominations phase now.

17. Leggacy

Leggacy

Dude, I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who remembers it. You’ll probably remember Manimal too :lol:

05XR8 and Slapped like this.
  18. Slapped

Slapped Premium

OK, then I'll take the Ford Gran Torino from Starsky & Hutch.

19. Leggacy

Leggacy

Damn I had been unaware of this, or I would have made some suggestions.

I’m hoping magnums 308 Ferrari turns up. That was my introduction to Ferrari, probably the first one I could identify.

Polsixe and Slapped like this.
  20. Famine

Famine Administrator

That's in Group F, which will be up on Thursday. Right now the poll is for Group A, with Group B to follow later today. You can vote in any of the polls, and the top two from each group will go through into the knockout rounds like it says in the article.
    Group D, tomorrow. You can see all the nominations, the vote results, and the groups in the other thread.

05XR8 and Leggacy like this.
  21. Slapped

Slapped Premium

Oh, I've just realised that this is a Twitter poll. That means I can't vote - I don't do social networking because it's effectively human sewage.

So I'll bow out.

22. Famine

Famine Administrator

Here's the second set of four, Group B:

wcomc-groupb-initiald-trueno.jpg
    Initial D - Toyota Sprinter Trueno
    Probably the most famous anime car, Takumi Fujiwara's father's tofu shop delivery car is instantly recognisable. The two-tone black and white livery is hard to miss as young Fujiwara hones his driving skills on the touge to become the best driver in Gunma. Real life drifter and Japanese racing legend Keiichi Tsuchiya worked on the comic book and acted as a supervisor on the TV series too.

wcomc-groupb-flintstones-footmobile.jpg
    The Flintstones - Footmobile
    Before The Simpsons there was the Flintstones. Bedrock's modern stone-age family had all the trappings of modern life, but set in the distant past, somewhat apocryphally mixing it with dinosaurs. Featuring in every episode's opening and closing sequence, the Footmobile - no brand was ever given - was the Flintstone family car, powered by Fred's own two feet. We think he's probably a lot stronger than he was ever given credit for.

wcomc-groupb-topgear-oliver.jpg
    Top Gear - Opel Kadett "Oliver"
    OLIVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! The Opel Kadett was Top Gear co-host Richard Hammond's rather bizarre choice of car to drive 1,000 miles across Botswana. Despite a number of mishaps, which included sinking, the Opel - which Hammond called "Oliver" - made it to the finish line. It then also made it back to the UK, as Hammond decided to keep it, and it has since appeared on his own Blast Lab TV show.

wcomc-groupb-thunderbirds-fab1.jpg
    Thunderbirds - Rolls-Royce FAB1
    The personal conveyance of Lady Penelope, and driven by shady chauffeur Parker, FAB1 was such an iconic vehicle that even Rolls-Royce, a brand not known for its pop culture leanings, gave Thunderbirds a real radiator grille and Spirit of Ecstasy for the close-up shots. The enormous, six-wheel drive pink limo was effectively an unofficial Thunderbird, built by Brains himself, and often stood between the world and its destruction in the famous marionette show.

23. TrickyTree

TrickyTree

Professionals 3.0S Capri. Also available in silver
    7331.jpg

sirjim73 and Leggacy like this.
  24. Brandodemando

Brandodemando

David Hassellhoff has the answer.

25. Leggacy

Leggacy

Still love the way that car looks. Not often to you see a nice one these days though.

26. Famine

Famine Administrator

It's in Group C. If you want to see all the final groups, they're here.

Guys, we already made all the car nominations in a thread that lasted a week and closed eight days ago. We already voted on the cars to make the final 32 in a thread that lasted a week and closed yesterday.

Now it's the final Twitter voting phase, like it said in the original thread, and the second thread, and the article that this is the comments thread for. And 18 months ago in WCOMC. And also in this thread in post 10.

You can't make new nominations, or vote for cars on GTP, or vote for cars that aren't in active polls right now. It's just the Twitter polls I post now.

TexRex likes this.
  27. I remember it, just about. This clip gave me a giggle.

Leggacy likes this.
  28. HBR-Roadhog

HBR-Roadhog

No twitter account so no vote there. While I like a few of these I am a bit surprised that the ones I would most like to have are not listed.
    The flying vette from Agents of Shield
    The 50s car from Supergirl which is also a spaceship
    And if movies count then the Delorean time machine of course.

29. Famine

Famine Administrator

They don't. We had the World Cup of Movie Cars 18 months ago.
    We had a nominations thread. It was open for a week. It got more than 70 nominations in it.

30. 05XR8

05XR8

Footmobile people. The first car! I remember Automan. 90 degree turns? Pfft! The Footmobile could do complete 180° and hover for a few seconds!

sirjim73, Northstar and Famine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.