What's the Greatest Ever TV Car? Have Your Say in Our World Cup of TV Cars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: Incredibly our Twitter following seems to be less stupid than some of our forum users, so to quickly sum up for the terminally hard of reading:

* This is a Twitter-only poll. We said this right at the start, and it's identical to the World Cup of Movie Cars we did 18 months ago.
* GTP users already had the chance to nominate cars, for a week. Stop nominating cars. Especially movie cars, which were never eligible. We did movie cars 18 months ago. You are too late on both counts.
* GTP users already had the chance to vote on nominated cars, for another week. Stop "voting" for cars that aren't in this thread. You are too late.
* There's 32 cars in the finals, in eight groups of four. Stop asking where "x" and "y" car is; there's a list of cars in the finals and the groups they are in over in the original nominations/voting thread. If the car you would have nominated isn't in there, tough. You are too late.
* We're posting two polls a day - that's two groups of four cars, or eight in total - not all eight groups at once. There are more to come. There's a list of cars in the finals and the groups they are in over in the original nominations/voting thread. If the car you would have nominated isn't in there, tough. You are too late.
* No, there won't be a GTP vote as well. Aside from being unworkable and completely open to accusations of corruption, the literal point is for GTP to generate the list (to show how smart our community is, ironically given that I'm having to explain this again) and for GTP's Twitter following (who may not yet be registered forum members) to vote on it.

So, the first poll is Group A:

wcomc-groupa-ateam-gmcvandura.jpg

The A-Team - GMC Vandura
When you're undercover soldiers of fortune, what do you need to lie low in? Yes, a black and grey van with an enormous red stripe on it. Driven by Bosco "Bad Attitude" Baracus, usually, the A-Team van contained whatever the team needed at that moment in time, handily. That even included a miniature printing press, because obviously it did.

wcomc-groupa-lovebug-vwbeetleherbie.jpg

Herbie the Love Bug - Volkswagen Beetle
Although better known as a film car, Herbie also had a very short TV series in 1982, with Dean Jones reprising his role as Herbie's original owner from the film. The show ran for just five episodes early in 1982, but featured Herbie up to his usual self-driving shenanigans.

wcomc-groupa-simpsons-thehomer.jpg

The Simpsons - The Homer
When Homer's brother unnamed car manufacturer CEO Herb (Danny de Vito) sets out to build a car for the average American, he enlists Homer and gives him carte blanche. The result is The Homer - and bankruptcy. Amazingly this car is a one-episode wonder, never seen again, but it's clearly left its mark as a famous TV car!

wcomc-groupa-rockfordfile-pontiacfirebird.jpg

The Rockford Files - Pontiac Firebird
This is the first of several Pontiac Firebirds that James Garner's Jim Rockford drives while solving crimes - usually cold cases - in the Rockford Files. Actually a Firebird Formula dressed down to look like a lower model, to give Rockford the semblence of a common man, the Firebirds would be a fixture across all six seasons, and a couple of TV movies too.

Last edited:
I don't have a Twitter account for obvious reasons, any way the poll can be set up here instead please?

Does anyone remember the car from automan?
Better question is how many people remember Automan.
'All you need is a twitter account'.

Shame, but nope.
It's the exact same deal as with our World Cup of Movie Cars 18 months ago. GTP creates the list and votes on it to create the final 32, Twitter votes on the final 32 in the tried-and-tested "World Cup of" format. Which is what I said two weeks ago:
Remember the World Cup of Movie Cars? Well it's back, and this time it's TV.

Over the next week, I'll be taking suggestions from GTPlanet members of what the greatest television car in history was - or is. I'll follow that up with a poll thread which will contain all* of the suggestions to come up with a final shortlist of 32.

I'll then seed those 32 by the poll results (top seeds will be the eight highest-scoring cars), and draw them into eight groups of four (one top seed in each group, one second seed, one third seed, one fourth seed) at random. They will then go onto our social media channels for voting. Two cars from each group will progress to a head-to-head second round, gradually whittling the field down to a final vote between the two remaining cars. The winner will be GTPlanet's Greatest Television Car of All Time.

Edit - looks like i have to pick one of those
You don't have to pick any of them if you don't want to.
Well never mind then cause they all sucks compare to this
latest
That's in Group F, not Group A, and you'll be able to vote for it on Thursday. This set of four is simply the first of eight groups.

I mean, this was all explained in the first thread, and the second thread, and the article that this is the thread for, and 18 months ago when we did the exact same thing for movie cars.

Last edited:
If KITT won't win I will riot
What if he comes up against KARR? Or didn’t KARR get made in to a lorry, Goliath? Maybe mis-remembering that.

Also KITT had that really stupid super pursuit mode in the later series? Which version will be consider? I think the SS version sucks

Last edited:
Better question is how many people remember Automan.:

Whoever doesn't lacks culture - best TV car by a country mile. Instant 90 degree turns without hint of over or understeer - talk about being well balanced.

My vote is 100% for the neon adorned LP400

Whoever doesn't lacks culture - best TV car by a country mile. Instant 90 degree turns without hint of over or understeer - talk about being well balanced.

And yet it didn't make it into the long list despite a week of that thread being open for suggestions (and my status post reminders), so it's not available to vote for.

We're two steps after the nominations phase now.

Dude, I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who remembers it. You’ll probably remember Manimal too :lol:

And yet it didn't make it into the long list despite a week of that thread being open for suggestions (and my status post reminders), so it's not available to vote for.

OK, then I'll take the Ford Gran Torino from Starsky & Hutch.

Damn I had been unaware of this, or I would have made some suggestions.

I’m hoping magnums 308 Ferrari turns up. That was my introduction to Ferrari, probably the first one I could identify.

OK, then I'll take the Ford Gran Torino from Starsky & Hutch.
That's in Group F, which will be up on Thursday. Right now the poll is for Group A, with Group B to follow later today. You can vote in any of the polls, and the top two from each group will go through into the knockout rounds like it says in the article.
Damn I had been unaware of this, or I would have made some suggestions.

I’m hoping magnums 308 Ferrari turns up. That was my introduction to Ferrari, probably the first one I could identify.
Group D, tomorrow. You can see all the nominations, the vote results, and the groups in the other thread.

Here's the second set of four, Group B:

wcomc-groupb-initiald-trueno.jpg

Initial D - Toyota Sprinter Trueno
Probably the most famous anime car, Takumi Fujiwara's father's tofu shop delivery car is instantly recognisable. The two-tone black and white livery is hard to miss as young Fujiwara hones his driving skills on the touge to become the best driver in Gunma. Real life drifter and Japanese racing legend Keiichi Tsuchiya worked on the comic book and acted as a supervisor on the TV series too.

wcomc-groupb-flintstones-footmobile.jpg

The Flintstones - Footmobile
Before The Simpsons there was the Flintstones. Bedrock's modern stone-age family had all the trappings of modern life, but set in the distant past, somewhat apocryphally mixing it with dinosaurs. Featuring in every episode's opening and closing sequence, the Footmobile - no brand was ever given - was the Flintstone family car, powered by Fred's own two feet. We think he's probably a lot stronger than he was ever given credit for.

wcomc-groupb-topgear-oliver.jpg

Top Gear - Opel Kadett "Oliver"
OLIVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! The Opel Kadett was Top Gear co-host Richard Hammond's rather bizarre choice of car to drive 1,000 miles across Botswana. Despite a number of mishaps, which included sinking, the Opel - which Hammond called "Oliver" - made it to the finish line. It then also made it back to the UK, as Hammond decided to keep it, and it has since appeared on his own Blast Lab TV show.

wcomc-groupb-thunderbirds-fab1.jpg

Thunderbirds - Rolls-Royce FAB1
The personal conveyance of Lady Penelope, and driven by shady chauffeur Parker, FAB1 was such an iconic vehicle that even Rolls-Royce, a brand not known for its pop culture leanings, gave Thunderbirds a real radiator grille and Spirit of Ecstasy for the close-up shots. The enormous, six-wheel drive pink limo was effectively an unofficial Thunderbird, built by Brains himself, and often stood between the world and its destruction in the famous marionette show.

Professionals 3.0S Capri. Also available in silver
View attachment 904496
It's in Group C. If you want to see all the final groups, they're here.

Guys, we already made all the car nominations in a thread that lasted a week and closed eight days ago. We already voted on the cars to make the final 32 in a thread that lasted a week and closed yesterday.

Now it's the final Twitter voting phase, like it said in the original thread, and the second thread, and the article that this is the comments thread for. And 18 months ago in WCOMC. And also in this thread in post 10.

You can't make new nominations, or vote for cars on GTP, or vote for cars that aren't in active polls right now. It's just the Twitter polls I post now.

No twitter account so no vote there. While I like a few of these I am a bit surprised that the ones I would most like to have are not listed.
The flying vette from Agents of Shield
The 50s car from Supergirl which is also a spaceship
And if movies count then the Delorean time machine of course.

And if movies count
They don't. We had the World Cup of Movie Cars 18 months ago.
While I like a few of these I am a bit surprised that the ones I would most like to have are not listed.
We had a nominations thread. It was open for a week. It got more than 70 nominations in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back