Why does PD think "Americans" race these trucks?

• Thread starter RIPCDE
  • 89 comments
Given the gas prices right now, I bet it hurts to drive that thing at 10mpg.

Not really - Only 16k miles on it since I commute to the city by train daily. But hey if you can't afford the gas you wouldn't buy a 55k truck in the first place. :dopey: BTW it's actually 8.6mpg on the overhead since new.

My real daily driver is a 2005 Dodge Ram SRT10 Quad Cab, so am quite glad that PD put out this seasonal. Now, if they'd just add my SRT10 to the game I'd be quite happy :dopey:

Is that a rare model where the steering wheel is actually attached to the bit that makes it turn? ;)

Is that a rare model where the steering wheel is actually attached to the bit that makes it turn? ;)

Too funny! It turns sideways really nicely if you hammer the gas and goes fast in a straight line to boot. I dunno how many 5500lb vehicles turn well, but runs about 13.3 in the 1/4 and I've hit about 145 on a straightaway on the hwy.

I like the variety of having trucks. Some more SUVs and utes would be nice too

yeah i reckon some proper utes would be good.

ford falcon xr6 turbo/fpv version and holden commodore ss ute/hsv maloo would be great.

Had a 94 Lightning (1st Gen) that I used to race in SCCA. It was good fun. No one really knew about the gen 1 Lightning on the streets either. It was just a white F-150 that was pulling on them for no apparent reason.

Yeah, "utes" would be a welcome addition to GT5 for this American player - anything and everything from the modern Aussie Maloo to the classic American El Camino SS.
(Heck, we could even have a Seasonal Event where we have a race to church on Sunday then take the Pigs to market on Monday...)
:dopey:

I guess the "closest" thing we have to a "ute" in GT5 is the Chevy SSR?
:dunce:

(Although, my significantly tuned SSR - repainted in Reflex Purple - would make a great little daily driver. It's a shame Chevy doesn't make it any more!)

Peace...

It's the same reason they thought Germans would race Schwimmwagens.

It's a game full of variety and challenge.. just sit back and use it as a learning experience.

This is the best post ever on this forum.

They won't get it though... :lol:

....or one of the most cliche posts ever.

I love it when people think they can lump Americans (or any type of person) into a singular group. It is YOU that doesn't "get it".

Last edited:
I'm looking at the event right here.
It says "This race event is for a major class of cars in the American market: high-powered pick-up trucks"

Not once does it mention racing. Or even that Americans like driving them.
It just says that they are popular in the American market.

The description of the event mentions that the vehicle must have a truck bed. PD where is my El Camino??? I posted a poll in the non descriptive GT5 section.

elcamino.jpg

Last edited:
The Dodge Ram SRT 10 does 0-60 in about 4.9 seconds. It's no slouch. And you can fit about 10 dead deer in the back.... try that with a Ferrari....;)

my input is if your not good at it you should be doing it more than cars/tracks your good at, it will only make you a more well rounded racer, its b/s that PD allows people (i wont say who they know who they are) to slam off the wall and it still counts, they should be wiped off the leaderboard immediatly. NO SKILLS!!!!! Zoky Cro and cyrilprisci23 are real, great job guys i love watching you guys throw down true fast laps.

my input is if your not good at it you should be doing it more than cars/tracks your good at, it will only make you a more well rounded racer, its b/s that PD allows people (i wont say who they know who they are) to slam off the wall and it still counts, they should be wiped off the leaderboard immediatly. NO SKILLS!!!!! Zoky Cro and cyrilprisci23 are real, great job guys i love watching you guys throw down true fast laps.

Wrong thread?

I'm curious why trucks are in the game at all. Very frustrating.

If anything, PD needs to add more trucks!

I also get quite a few truck challenges when driving through the country. Many times I just want to cruise but they start bugging me, so I have to get out of overdrive and lose 'em. Sometimes it's fun, but not every time I pass the city limits sign...

The trucks are a nice break from normal sports cars and exotics. Helps you learn to drive a big vehicle that weighs at least 2000kg. Then again, Mercedes-Benz SL65's almost weigh as much. Can't really say trucks are heavy because that's what they're designed for- they need to be bulked up to handle the bulk.

Enough said.

Had a 94 Lightning (1st Gen) that I used to race in SCCA. It was good fun. No one really knew about the gen 1 Lightning on the streets either. It was just a white F-150 that was pulling on them for no apparent reason.

Great....Policeman with no respect for traffic laws. Imagine that. Could be a thread on it's own.

I like the variety of having trucks. Some more SUVs and utes would be nice too
I agree! I would love to have more suv's on the game. A SRT8 Jeep would be amazing.

SRT-8 Grand Cherokee would be good, but while we're at it, why not throw in the older Dodge Dakota R/T, and the GMC Syclone and Typhoon. And maybe the Silverado SS 454. Maybe even go classic with a Lil' Red Xpress and Chevy Luv? Add a Nissan Frontier V6 (they had 6-speed models), V6 Tacoma, maybe an AMG Mercedes ML, and the new BMW X-6 M? That would add variety and some downright good vehicles.

There have always been cars which seem questionable to race, ever since the first Gran Turismo in 1997. :shrug: Also, it's not just Americans who drive F-150s and Dodge Rams...:rolleyes:

the shiwmwagon is a real hoot with 4 snow tyres on a snow filled course. love it. try it with cockpit view eeeeeha

QUOTE=nyyellowtaxi;5103138]It's there because it's fun??? I am sure it has nothing to do with it.

Americans don't race F1, WRC, Super GT and half the cars in the US. Americans don't race Schwimmwagon. What is PD thinking? Somehow it's in the game. Very confusing.[/QUOTE]

super-truck-racing-7.jpg

I'm pretty sure they do this all over the world right?

We used to race these trucks in racedriver 3, on the PS2. RACEDRIVER3 had all the tracks and cars. If GT5 was half as good as RACEDRIVER3, I might be excited about GT6. But I'm not. I'm ready for PROJECT CARS, and Gran Tourismo will be a thing of the past. Or something for you little kiddies to play.

^Are you sure pCARS will have that, though? :rolleyes: If truck racing like that is what you want, Game Formula Truck is what you need (google it). ;)

I could give two craps about racing those trucks again. I said PS2 had RACEDRIVER3 and it blows the doors off of GT4 and some doors on GT5. The game had all the tracks from Europe, America, and all of the Australian tracks. No GT game has ever had good tracks. Plus RACEDRIVER3 had many, many, maannnyyyyy, different race cars and trucks and spec street cars.

I wish there where throphy trucks and short course trucks in the game too. That would make offroading also allot more fun.

Back