Why is the Sambabus so important?

• Thread starter AJFast12
  • 251 comments
I like the VW bus, as in GT6 I did something silly with one:
eiger-nordwand-short-track_2-jpg.106260

Fully upgraded with NOS etc, which was fun to use against an unsuspecting friend of mine!

To my mind its inclusion highlights the crossroads that the GT series is at and a seeming lack of focus and/or determination to have a single direction to head in.

The reason given behind the small car list and massive race car bias in GTS was that its a new direction for the GT series, with the focus being almost totally on FIA approved online racing.

That has started to gradually erode since launch with the soon to arrive off-line mode being added back in (to what degree we will need to wait and see), and the Samba Bus further highlights this. Yet without full modification available it becomes a novelty car for the occasional race and livery use.

In titles with the number of cars to pick from that GT5 and 6 had its inclusion works, in a title with the limited car count of GTS (not to mention the amount of times the cars have been recycled) it simply comes across as wasted resource to me.

It smacks of the unfocused, scattergun approach that has also brought a rally mode that is of no use in the core focus of the title, and ovals without cars built for oval racing (or the ability to tune correctly for ovals).

It smacks of wasted resource and a continued lack of focus, it will however be interesting to see those who have for the last few months argued 'New GT, new focus, we don't need the old GT' engage in gymnastics to now approve of these changes.

This is actually a really good point. It'll be interesting to see what other cars will be added in the coming months

Actually, come to think of it... We're missing the Ferrari 488... *cough* I mean 398, because it's a 3.9 liter V8.

My girlfriend is German... It's called a Samba Bus at times in our apartment.

She has one fully tuned in GT6 with NOS, the problem is... It doesn't get close enough to the PP of my Viper for a proper race

I have always grown up and known them as 'Camper Vans' round here as I am from near the city. You brought one to go to the countryside and go camping back in the day. Never heard of Sambabus until I saw them in a GT game.

I mean they even had expanding tents on the roof and net curtains! :odd:
image1_small2.jpg

f9c78a988a91859e2403215c1fd101fd--vw-camper-vans-vw-vans.jpg

1647fe0b3f50aeda4b98d6f8a6f44f36.jpg

It must be liked at PD as it has already been said, it made it in to GT Sport via this Scape (I just realised I had the end of it on one of my recent photos).

None of those are actually samba buses. The samba bus is a specific version of the Type 2 T1. It has 21 or 23 windows, a fabric sunroof and pivot doors. It was marketed for touring the alps, with all the windows providing a great view of the landscape.

The cars on your pictures are probably camping vans, which is another version of the Type 2.

People are reading far too much into this.
It's a bit of fun, nothing more, nothing less.
What is so hard to understand about that, and more to the point, if you can't have a bit of fun now and then, what is the point of anything?
Being serious 24/7 is very boring....

You want FUN is a video game? How dare you! :sly:

None of those are actually samba buses. The samba bus is a specific version of the Type 2 T1. It has 21 or 23 windows, a fabric sunroof and pivot doors. It was marketed for touring the alps, with all the windows providing a great view of the landscape.

The cars on your pictures are probably camping vans, which is another version of the Type 2.

Apologies, you can see I have a lot of interest in them as they all looked the same to me. :yuck:

@VXR Yes the Swift, I am looking forward to that one as well.

I'm looking forward to racing the bus around the tracks, as it looks like it will be lots of fun. It will be far more satisfying than driving many of the fantasy cars.

I'm hoping that PD introduce a few more iconic classics, as I'd love to lean the 2CV dolly around a few corners too.

Actually, come to think of it... We're missing the Ferrari 488... *cough* I mean 398, because it's a 3.9 liter V8.

It’s called 488, because that’s the capacity of one of its cylinders. A lot of Ferrari “names” are coded like this.

Suggestion: To give the Samba-bus a bit more purpose in the racing department, they should include a Samba-endurance race over, say, 6 hours on the Nordschleife that will earn you 10 million credits.

You know, as compensation for the pain and suffering...

With a 30 min lead after 11 laps I'd take a sun rest at 'Brünnchen' on the roof of my fully tuned #61 bus :lol: !

Suggestion: To give the Samba-bus a bit more purpose in the racing department, they should include a Samba-endurance race over, say, 6 hours on the Nordschleife that will earn you 10 million credits.

That'd be the longest Döttinger Höhe in GT Sport for sure. At least for now, before they add, say, the first Fiat 500, which wasn't capable of passing some steep roads in GT5 and 6 (Eiger Nordwand was hilarious).

Also, hell yeah the Sambabus is important. Gran Turismo was always that series that let people drive oddities on wheels. All "Sport" this GT is, it has its place, still. I'm really looking forward to race those in One Make daily races in Sport Mode. :D

It’s called 488, because that’s the capacity of one of its cylinders. A lot of Ferrari “names” are coded like this.

The predecessor was called the 458 because it was a 4.5L V8.

Before that the F430, which was 4.3L

Before that the 360, which was a 3.6L

The predecessor was called the 458 because it was a 4.5L V8.

Before that the F430, which was 4.3L

Before that the 360, which was a 3.6L

It's true that they use the "total displacement (+number of cylinders)" naming convention about just as much as the displacement per cylinder one (250, 330, 458, 365). Who knows why they use one or the other. Probably just a marketing decision...

You say pain and suffering, I would totally be up for this I reckon it would only be about 18 laps :sly:

Iconic? For who? What year is this? That thing isn't iconic to 99% of the people playing the game. I'm 47 and it's not even iconic to me. It's crap, and shouldn't be included INSTEAD of better suited cars.

iconic adjective
UK /aɪˈkɒn.ɪk/ US /aɪˈkɑː.nɪk/ formal
famous or popular, especially being considered to represent particular opinions or a particular time.

So one of the derivatives of a vehicle that was manufactured for over 60years and provided the means to transport goods/people cheaply and effectively in post-war Germany and even further afield isn't iconic enough?

Not to mention the whole hippy culture thing of the 1960s.

So no its clearly not iconic at all is it :rolleyes: That's sarcasm by the way.

Latest Posts

Back