Will gt4 be going gold in the coming weeks

  • Thread starter Thread starter cobragt
  • 24 comments
  • 1,526 views
Messages
3,420
If the release date for Japan is indeed the 1st of Dec, wouldn't the game be going gold real soon? If this is the case, we'll be getting a plethora of gt4 info and media from sites, and mags.
 
cobragt
If the release date for Japan is indeed the 1st of Dec, wouldn't the game be going gold real soon?

i'm guessing there has been release candidates by now, the final "gold" version could be very close to the actual release date for this game. (specially the US version.)
What i mean is, the game will be somewhat rushed, lets hope it's bug free.
 
Cobra, the 3rd. But that's not the case.

Anyways, I see what you're saying. A lot of games go gold long before release. Hopefully, GT4 will. I hope we get ONE last bit of HUGE news before December.
 
[EDIT] Yes GT4 will go gold, and for good reason.

Happy now? Go ahead and make fun of my post, especially my choice of words. Dare you.
 
JohnBM01
Remember, the people made GT4 a success, not PD. If we didn't care, Gran Turismo would be crap.

I'm pretty sure PD has something to do with the quality of its GT series.
 
Gold only means it's released to the manufacturers for copying right? Considering that one manufacturer would copy a thousand or so copies per day, multiple by the amount of manufacturers and then give a few days for shipping to stores, I don't see why it needs to go gold a whole month beforehand.

Doom III was only gold for a week or two prior to it's release, and we all know the anticipation behind that game!

JohnBM01
Gold soon, platinum months later (I'm predicting between 3-6 months or more). Way to go, GT4! And I guess among the different games that are going gold right now, one of those games that I hate to mention is... HALO 2. But, I really do hope that it goes gold. As I've said about the game, the only X-factor for GT4 to become "Best PS2 Game," "Best Racing Game," or even a campaigner for "Game of the Year," will rely on the people. What this means is that its success as a "Greatest Hits" title will rely on the people. If people were looking forward to online play all to be relegated to LAN play, GT4 will end up being as successful as Malice. If the people want to play a game featuring more than 80 car companies with none of them being Ferrari, Porsche, and Lamborghini, it won't do so well.

Remember, the people made GT4 a success, not PD. If we didn't care, Gran Turismo would be crap. It would like that big rig PC game which says "You're Winner" when you win the race (not to mention that there is NO AI). That game makes me laugh especially that "You're Winner" thing. But I can't remember what that game is. Anyhow, GT will always be at least 250,000 times better than this PC game. Gran Turismo 4 is the Mount Everest of racing games, while the competition is deep in the Marianna Trench (lowest point on the Earth at about 25,000-30,000 feet below sea level).

Go ahead and make fun of my post, especially my choice of words. Dare you.
How the hell did we go from discussing a gold release to 'the people making GT popular'? I swear you drag things out to the fullest extent, go a mile off-topic and write all my English essays for the whole year in one post, just to get attention.
 
Gold soon, platinum months later (I'm predicting between 3-6 months or more). Way to go, GT4! And I guess among the different games that are going gold right now, one of those games that I hate to mention is... HALO 2. But, I really do hope that it goes gold. As I've said about the game, the only X-factor for GT4 to become "Best PS2 Game," "Best Racing Game," or even a campaigner for "Game of the Year," will rely on the people. What this means is that its success as a "Greatest Hits" title will rely on the people. If people were looking forward to online play all to be relegated to LAN play, GT4 will end up being as successful as Malice. If the people want to play a game featuring more than 80 car companies with none of them being Ferrari, Porsche, and Lamborghini, it won't do so well.

Remember, the people made GT4 a success, not PD. If we didn't care, Gran Turismo would be crap. It would like that big rig PC game which says "You're Winner" when you win the race (not to mention that there is NO AI). That game makes me laugh especially that "You're Winner" thing. But I can't remember what that game is. Anyhow, GT will always be at least 250,000 times better than this PC game. Gran Turismo 4 is the Mount Everest of racing games, while the competition is deep in the Marianna Trench (lowest point on the Earth at about 25,000-30,000 feet below sea level).

Go ahead and make fun of my post, especially my choice of words. Dare you.

ha
hhahaha, no idea.
MMMM halo2, my second most awaited game this year (after half life 2 OFC).
 
Shannon
How the hell did we go from discussing a gold release to 'the people making GT popular'? I swear you drag things out to the fullest extent, go a mile off-topic and write all my English essays for the whole year in one post, just to get attention.

Better that than have a shameless picture of a naked woman as an avatar.

C.
 
Yeti, girl power :P

Better that than have a shameless picture of a naked woman as an avatar.

No. It's not.

Anyhow, GT will always be at least 250,000 times better than this PC game. Gran Turismo 4 is the Mount Everest of racing games, while the competition is deep in the Marianna Trench (lowest point on the Earth at about 25,000-30,000 feet below sea level).

Just noticed that, UTTER COMEDY.

Gt4 is the 4 series Dx985y lamp post, used in american suberbs everywhere, strong, durable and casts fantastic illumination upon the road, while the rig game is the A345YHFAG (grey edition) Lamp post, used in poor eastern european countries, it's prone to rusting, and casts a poor amount of light upon the roads.
 
McLaren F1GTR
Cobra, the 3rd. But that's not the case.

Anyways, I see what you're saying. A lot of games go gold long before release. Hopefully, GT4 will. I hope we get ONE last bit of HUGE news before December.

Yeah I'm hoping for a final car list before the end of the month. November is going to be one of the longest month's of my life, even though it's still 30 days long.
 
Knowing how they seem to be continually packing things into the game, it wouldn't surprise if it went gold only a week or so before release. If a game goes gold a month or so ahead of time, they're either giving themselves more time to make more of the game, or the game was finished early and so they sent it off, even if they were a week or two from deadline. But since KY and crew will never be happy with the game, they'll no doubt still be fiddling with it until the guy from Sony shows up with a gun to take the game to the manufacturer. :)
 
Can I get a confirmation of what "going gold" actually means? I assume it means the game is finished and at its realease state, but is it also released to magazines and other publications?
 
"Going gold" means development is finished, and the game is ready to be produced. The term comes from the gold master copy they make, I believe.
 
I think there are a lot of people who need to calm down about when GT4 will be released -- especially those who think it won't be till January.

I've heard people saying that EB is getting calls telling them to take down GT4 promotional material. I've heard people who swear that it's been cancelled.

The only facts I know of are that:

PlayStation.com still lists GT4 as a December 2004 release.

GameStop lists the release date as January 3.

IGN lists it as a March 2005 release, but this may very well be stricly based on rumors propogated in IGN's Gran Turismo forum.

EB Games still lists the date as December 14.

Amazon still lists the date as December 14.

Best Buy lists the date as December 16.

If the game isn't out until next year, well, whatever, but I'm sure they're trying very hard to get it out before Christmas. It is ridiculous to think that January 3 is a valid date. You don't take a product slated for the holiday market and then delay it until one week after Christmas. Either they will work overtime to get it shipped before Christmas, or else they will give up and then take their time with it, in which case it will probably be February or March.
 
icemanshooter23
Can I get a confirmation of what "going gold" actually means? I assume it means the game is finished and at its realease state, but is it also released to magazines and other publications?

Going gold just refers to the point at which software is in its final shipping state and becomes made available for the distributor. Distribution is pretty efficient, though, and I've heard of things going gold less than two weeks before they're on the shelf.

(edit) Oops ... looks like I should try out that Refresh button...
 
Thanks for the info guys. Just went over to the IGN boards and now people are saying GT4 is cancelled. It's incredible how stupid some people can be. But it must be true, its "insider info." :lol:
 
A little off topic but still related to the release of GT4:

I emailed SCEA on the weekend and they replied that GT4 is still scheduled for a Dec 2004 release.

but they also noted that it is still waiting to be confirmed once more

Artz
 
icemanshooter23
Thanks for the info guys. Just went over to the IGN boards and now people are saying GT4 is cancelled. It's incredible how stupid some people can be. But it must be true, its "insider info." :lol:


:lol: Only took a few hours and someone already made a thread about this "cancellation" I had mentioned.
 
So that's what "going gold" means when HALO 2 is going to be released earlier for example? For many of us GT4 fans, we'd love to have it sooner than later. If fans waited for Fable, HALO, Call of Duty, and all those games, we'll wait our asses off for GT4. So if GT4 went gold, when do you think GT4 will be released to the general public? Take a guess.
 
Atleast 2 weeks from the final pressing. Basically just enough time to build up a sizeable amount, package and distribute. I would expect GT4 to go gold just a couple weeks prior to the Japanese release. Though depending on how many plants they have making copies and packaging it could probably be done in 9 or 10 days depending on effeciency. I would expect something similar for other parts of the world as well.
 
So granted that the release date for us is December 14th, we may get this as early as December 1st if it went gold? Or who knows? GT4 may be releaesd on November 30th or earlier. Maybe even two days after Thanksgiving. Never tell...
 
An early release would depend on when the North American version goes gold (which will probably be a week or two after the Japanese version, just to change over some stuff to English, which won't take as long as the European version since much of the game is already in English). IF the American verison goes gold early, and IF they get enough copies pressed within whatever time period, there's a chance they may go ahead and ship to stores early. But that's a lot of "IF's", so I'm not betting on it. Hoping, but not betting.. hehe. :)
 
I just hope they give us a final release date for both Japanese and US versions soon so I can decide which one to buy.
 
Back