2014 United Sports Car Championship

• Thread starter Earth
  • 6,133 comments
I think the classes will be the hardest thing to nail down. As it stands with combining the classes of ALMS and RSCS you have:

1. LMP1
2. LMP2
3. LMPC
4. DP
5. GTE-Pro
6. GTE-Am
7. GTC
8. GT GA
9. GX

Only in WEC events is GTE separated into Pro and Am. Normal ALMS events have only one GTE class.

That's WAY to many classes, and I have a feeling classes like the Challenge classes won't be apart of the main group. I can see Challenge Series races with just the LMPC and GTC cars on the track, though. I don't know what they'll do with the GX class that's supposed to start up next year. As for the ALMS and Grand-Am GT classes...well...they COULD do a GT1, GT2 and GT3 thing and keep all the classes...although, the Grand Am cars are closer to GT3 cars, as are the GTE-Pros as GT3 has been becoming the new standard sports car racing. So, what will PROBABLY happen is, if ALMS wants to keep their class...the Grand Am cars might be merged into the ALMS GT rules. Which wouldn't be a bad thing. Some of the teams already have cars in the ALMS GT class, and adding Ford, Camaro and others to the mix wouldn't be too bad. I think 2014 is going to be an exiting season. 2013 should be interesting, too as we'll probably see announcements coming out and maybe a test race or two next year. But...I think it will probably be something like this:

For 2014, I see everything just cut-and-dry merging in terms of GT. Daytona Prototypes are speculated at getting a power bump to be competitive with existing LMP2 cars, but that's it. The two GT classes might merge later on down the road, but I'm willing to bet that for now, we're going to see the GTE cars and the quasi-GT3 cars continue as normal.

LMP1/LMP2/DP/GT

LMP1/DP/GT2/GT3

LMP1/LMP2/DP/GT2/GT3

LMP1 is dead. There's simply no participation as of right now. LMP2 is questionable as it is, now that they're merging. It might survive the initial merge, but I see it going the way of the Do-do bird after a year or two. Look for faster and more exciting DP's to become the top class.

This seems to be the most likely:

LMP2/DP/GTE/GA-GT/GX?

(This should be interesting, for sure.)

Definitely. I think we're going to see a new and very exciting chapter in the world of American sports car racing regardless. I'm looking forward to a good media program to help strengthen sponsorship in the series, and a number of supporting events to make attending any race weekend a true value.

Last edited:
My suggestion:

LMP: (LMP2 from ALMS. Top regular class for new series. Eligible to enter Le Mans. 2014 ACO spec.)
LMPX: (Optional entry for 2014 LMP1 hybrid cars who compete in WEC. These cars would race in WEC events Petit and Sebring and maybe Daytona. Also eligible to alternative energy cars that are up to speed with LMP cars. Does not compete regularly or for new series championship.)
DP: (Daytona prototypes from GA. Up spec'ed to be comparable to LMP cars on high speed circuits. Not Le Mans eligible.)

GT Pro: (ACO spec GT cars as seen in ALMS. More suited to factory teams. Le Mans eligible.)
GT Am: (FIA GT3 spec cars. Ditch the Grand Am GT BS. Go full GT3. Great for privateer teams and manufacturers that want to compete on a budget. Not Le Mans eligible.)
GTX: (Similar to LMPX but in GT. Cars like the 911 GT Hybrid. Does not compete regularly.)

Deltawing gets a spot because it is so damn cool.

GreenX challenge continues. Multiple tire manufacturers. 20 races over the course of a year.

Woohoo looking forward to seeing the best going against the best. There is no way this can't be exciting.

I was thinking what they might call the sires when they do finally merge. The first thing that popped into my head was the "North American Sports Car Racing Association". However, spelled out, that's NASCRA. :grumpy:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that DP cars were not much quicker than the GT cars... so how about running it like this:

LMP1
LMP2 (Incl. LMPC, the ORECA one make, I think thats the name)
DP (Sort of like the old GTS / GT1 - we already have a Corvette DP)
GT (Combo of all the current classes)

Specs wise the differences between a DP and LMP2 are pretty close

Riley DP
L.177.5
W. 78.5
H. 43.1
WB.110.0
Weight-over 4.0L 2325 lb (1055kg) under 4.0L 2275 lb (1032kg)
Steel brake rotors
500 HP

Oreca 03 LMP2
L.181.1
W.78.3
H.40.3
WB.112.9
Weight-1984 lb (900kg)
Carbon rotors
450 HP

Cost wise the Riley and Oreca are both about $450,000 so there is no real advantage.The unknown thing is how much downforce each type of car has.I would convert the DP's to carbon brakes and start feeding the LMP2's an American diet and hit the track for some testing.

Last edited:
No need for more than 2, 2014 is pretty far and with the current cars on the final homologation year 2013 could be used as a transitional stage to GT-E with the GT-X rules. That way 2014 would be Prototypes/GT-E.

Pictures from the press conference at Daytona. The last one is interesting at it appears to depict a DP racing alongside a LMP2 and GT car (Although it could just be more of an artist's rendition of the two sires "merging").

576865_10151026755771196_1886332348_n.jpg

422721_10151026755731196_1104603074_n.jpg

418814_10151026755606196_1131553937_n.jpg

Jav
No need for more than 2, 2014 is pretty far and with the current cars on the final homologation year 2013 could be used as a transitional stage to GT-E with the GT-X rules. That way 2014 would be Prototypes/GT-E.

No offense, but I just don't see that happening as soon as 2014. The current crop of GT's (Minus the Audi, Ferrari, Lotus and most likely the Porsche) are going to drop off and be replaced by production-based vehicles similar to those listed above.

The last thing that Grand-Am/ALMS needs to do is shake up the hard work and preparation that teams and manufacturers have put in to get their cars ready for the next generation of cars, just because they're suddenly merging with another series and have decided to completely change things up.

I think it'll be best to see how the inital regulations and adjustments to the current cars work out, see where the teams put their money and where the sponsors go, and then cut the weak links. If there's a strong, equal interest in GTE and GA-GT cars, then why not keep both? They look different enough that there wouldn't be that much confusion between the two, as well.

Specs wise the differences between a DP and LMP2 are pretty close

Riley DP
L.177.5
W. 78.5
H. 43.1
WB.110.0
Weight-over 4.0L 2325 lb (1055kg) under 4.0L 2275 lb (1032kg)
Steel brake rotors
500 HP

Oreca 03 LMP2
L.181.1
W.78.3
H.40.3
WB.112.9
Weight-1984 lb (900kg)
Carbon rotors
450 HP

Cost wise the Riley and Oreca are both about $450,000 so there is no real advantage.The unknown thing is how much downforce each type of car has.I would convert the DP's to carbon brakes and start feeding the LMP2's an American diet and hit the track for some testing.

Seeing as the Oreca FLM09 is basically a Courage LC75, I imagine the downforce is pretty close to LMP2.

Last edited:
Here i what Derrick Walker of Falken Motorsports had to say about the news.

We greet today’s announcement with a sense of both excitement and wonderment. While having no experience with Grand-Am, we have been nothing but pleased with the guidance of the team that runs the American Le Mans Series and trust that they have the best interest of sports car racing for the fans, manufacturers and competitors in mind. Our hope is that the new series debuting in 2014 is truly a combination of the best of both series incorporating fantastic GT racing, technologically progressive prototypes and open tire competition across a broad geographic schedule. We look forward to the final season of the ALMS in 2013 as it is known today and the bright future of sports car racing in the US starting in 2014. At this time, we will wait to see what developments come about in the coming months while the new product is put together.

That is also what I want to see. Technologically progressive prototypes not DP's..Open tire competition,and great GT racing.

I wonder about the possibility of having two classes be spec tires, with the other two being open tires...

Seeing as the Oreca FLM03 is basically a Courage LC75, I imagine the downforce is pretty close to LMP2.
I think you have combined 2 different Oreca models into one.The Oreca 03 is LMP2 and the FLM 09 is the LMPTC.They seem to share the same tub but looking at the pictures on the Oreca website the LMP2 has much more advanced bodywork.

Since the DP cars are so limited in what is allowed I'm thinking they are closer to the Prototype Challenge car in downforce.

LMPTC cars are much cheaper btw-about $330,000 with 430HP.

Some interesting comments from the conference:

** Atherton confirmed that IMSA will continue to sanction series independently of GRAND-AM, although now all under the same ownership. All eight of the support series between both sanctioning bodies are expected to continue, with no layoffs or shrinkage as a company, according to Atherton.

** While class structure has yet to be defined, Panoz said it could end up comprising of three or four categories, with class simplicity a major target. "We'd like to, as part of the process, find a way to simplify it for fans following the sport," Bennett added. "That would definitely be one of our objectives."

** While class structure has yet to be defined, Panoz said it could end up comprising of three or four categories, with class simplicity a major target. "We'd like to, as part of the process, find a way to simplify it for fans following the sport," Bennett added. "That would definitely be one of our objectives."

I am currently working on making a series based on the merger. It will have LMP, DP, and a GT class mixed with 2 cars from both series and 1 car that is in both ALMS & Rolex. What does everyone think of this? I am really working hard on this currently.

I thought this was also very interesting...

** Part of the merger agreement is for the DeltaWing to be accepted into the new series, granted it meets safety and performance standards, which Panoz said it has already achieved at Le Mans. Whether it races in a separate class for alternative technologies or among the prototype entries is to-be-determined.

Tidbits from the conference.

I thought this was also very interesting...
Tidbits from the conference.

I totally forgot about that bit. Personally though, I'd much rather see the Delta Wing become the new Indy Lights car (AKA the GP2 of Indy) as it not only fits the term "Indy Lights" better than any previous (Partly Closed wheel) car, but wouldn't it be awesome to see a field of Delta wings in their own sires? Just a thought.

I totally forgot about that bit. Personally though, I'd much rather see the Delta Wing become the new Indy Lights car (AKA the GP2 of Indy) as it not only fits the term "Indy Lights" better than any previous (Partly Closed wheel) car, but wouldn't it be awesome to see a field of Delta wings in their own sires? Just a thought.

Of course I would as well. I still think the Delta-Wing should have a schedule that includes large and small ovals, endurance races, hill climbs, street courses and general road courses.

But seeing it participate in both the ALMS and Indy Lights is a distinct possibility. A double-hoop and single-hoop car that evolve in different directions to meet different needs.

Kinda posted the 2nd one twice.

That explains why the comment about the Delta Wing wasn't there, and why I was so surprised that I forgot about it.

But seeing it participate in both the ALMS and Indy Lights is a distinct possibility. A double-hoop and single-hoop car that evolve in different directions to meet different needs.

Although, for its first go-round, I expect it probably will serve as a part time ALMS/GA entry in 2014. I somehow doubt Indy will pick it up as its Indy Light car, but I sure hope they do anyway.

I wonder about the possibility of having two classes be spec tires, with the other two being open tires...

I believe that already was the case in ALMS as both the challenge classes were exclusively on Michelins while the other three classes were on various tires.

That is also what I want to see. Technologically progressive prototypes not DP's..Open tire competition,and great GT racing.

That's what we all want to see! Not spec racing, no funny yellows to alter the course of a race. Pure racing driven by speed and governed by inteligence to keep costs in check!

I haven't seen much to tell me any different that I already believe we will see, which is DP, GTE, and GT3 being the 3 classes. Theres a chance LMP2 may be performance balanced with the DPs or they may become the premier class.

I just dont like the idea of P2 being the premier class. Just dont like the idea of having the little sister of LMP1 being the premier class of American sportscar racing. DPs, as technologically primitive or slow as they may be, at least give the series a unique look and feel. And I believe they deserve to be the premier class. Ford and Chevrolet have Daytona Prototypes, but do they make LMP2 cars? No. I'd rather see American cars win overall or at least compete at the highest level of American sportscar racing.

Also maybe they can open the rules on DPs a little bit so we get more innovation in the class.

edit: Oh and this is how I would like to see the schedule set up for 12 rounds

1. Daytona 24 hours
  2. Sebring 12 hours
  3. Long Beach 2 hours 45 minutes
  4. Mid Ohio 2 hours 45 minutes
  5. Watkins Glen 6 hours
  6. Circuit Gilles Villeneuve 2 hours 45 minutes
  7. Road America 4 hours
  8. Mosport 2 hours 45 minutes
  9. Circuit of the Americas 6 hours
  10. VIR 2 hours 45 minutes
  11. Laguna Seca 2 hours 45 minutes
  12. Petit Le Mans 1000 miles

Last edited:
Chevy currently powers all of the LMPC cars so...
I also recall at Laguna Seca that one of the prototypes was running a Ford(Re-badged) engine.

The fact that DP's have to be given more power seems laughable. They should have had 600 horsepower.

I think holding on to LMP2 will make the ACO/FIA alot more happy. Especially if they plan to keep the series related to the WEC. The loss of LMP would be quite irritating for the WEC, who will no longer have a place to develop drivers, cars, or teams.

Chevy currently powers all of the LMPC cars so...
I also recall at Laguna Seca that one of the prototypes was running a Ford(Re-badged) engine.

The fact that DP's have to be given more power seems laughable. They should have had 600 horsepower.

I think holding on to LMP2 will make the ACO/FIA alot more happy. Especially if they plan to keep the series related to the WEC. The loss of LMP would be quite irritating for the WEC, who will no longer have a place to develop drivers, cars, or teams.

So, they're keeping DP alive, and adding horsepower? :drool: Cool!

Rob Dyson
The key thing is that the cars have to be fast and they have to be aspirational. Prototypes have to look like fighter jets and GT cars have to represent what people aspire to own.

Yes. Thank you, Mr. Dyson. I totally agree.

DP (Well, to me at least) is an extension of NASCAR onto non-ovals. No advancement, no flare. Prototypes should look awesome, and be technologically advanced.

EDIT:
The ACO have already fired back. They seem pretty happy, surprisingly.

In 2014, the calendars of the American Le Mans Series, organized by IMSA, and the Grand-Am Road Racing governed by NASCAR will merge following an agreement reached between the promoters of both competitions.

The Automobile Club is delighted about this merger, which will increase the already large audience for endurance in North America and at the same time boost its international impact. The quality of the two organizations combined is a guarantee of confidence concerning the perpetuation of the values and prestige of the Le Mans 24 Hours on the American continent, which are indispensable elements for endurance racing.

In its role as creator and organizer of the Le Mans 24 Hours since 1923 and promoter of the FIA World Endurance Championship, the ACO will play an active role in the development of this new championship.

The ACO has been a major player in endurance on the North-American continent and it launched the ALMS with its partner Don Panoz in 1999, after the creation of the Petit Le Mans race in 1998 on the Road Atlanta circuit in Georgia.

In 2013, the American Le Mans Series and Grand-Am will continue to run separately like in previous seasons. The details of this unified series under the same banner will be announced later on by the promoters of this new championship. It will begin with the 52nd Rolex Daytona 24 Hours in 2014.

The steering committee of this new championship will be presided by Jim France, the founder of Grand-Am as Chairman with Don Panoz, the ALMS founder as vice chairman. The other members are Lesa France Kennedy (NASCAR Executive Vice President), Ed Bennet (CEO/President Grand Am), Scott Atherton (President/CEO ALMS) and Karen Leetzow (NASCAR Vice President and Deputy General Counsel).

Pierre Fillon, President of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest:

“The merger of these two championships, which was carried out with the approval of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, has become necessary to enable endurance racing to continue to evolve. In 2014, this branch of the sport will have a bigger calendar and high-quality fields. Everybody will benefit from this unified series: entrants in North America, drivers and fans. This rapprochement proves that Automobile Club de l’Ouest’s assessment of the situation is the right one, and one of its major initiatives is to reinforce the presence of endurance racing on the international scene. The foundation consists of three continental series: the European Le Mans Series, the Asian Le Mans Series and this North-American merger in 2014, which will make the base even stronger together with the FIA World Endurance Championship, while the summit of this pyramid remains the Le Mans 24 Hours. I’m happy to meet up with the new team directing this new series in the near future, and to start working with them on this North-American Championship.”

Last edited:
Back