2014 United Sports Car Championship

• Thread starter Earth
  • 6,133 comments
I'd say it's nigh on impossible to BoP DP' and P2's. How would you do that? Dumb down downforce of the P2's? The protos are about as fast as indycars around a roadcourse, possibly some 5s to 7s quicker than DP's around something like Road America. The BoP would be either very expensive for DP's (not gonna happen), or very dissapointing to the ACO (not gonna happen either, if they want to keep a connection with LM24).

For the very same reasons, there wont be a combined GT class either.

Yes. Thank you, Mr. Dyson. I totally agree.

DP (Well, to me at least) is an extension of NASCAR onto non-ovals. No advancement, no flare. Prototypes should look awesome, and be technologically advanced.

It only struck me today, why you guys like LMP prototypes. We were looking at Hyundai cars; we saw a large hatchback, or small stationwagen (like the Elantra Touring) and a big SUV. The SUV had BETTER gas mileage than the smaller, lighter stationwagen. I didn't get it, until the guy told me that the SUV had a direct injection motor. I then realized "Oh, yeah, Audi's TDI technology is on street cars now."

However, I still don't entirely think that I want to watch unbalanced cars racing. I mean, would anyone want to watch an X2011 racing against a FIAT 500? Nah. So, I agree, that the ALMS should survive, but, it should be slightly restricted, (slightly) to make the cars even, but, maybe in different ways (anyone remember F1 @ Spa with Raikkönnen's downforce/Mercedes' straight-line speed? And the epic pass that ensued?)

I don't think that the cars need to be as even as the DP cars, now, anymore, but, let's NOT have an Audi R18 (or whichever 2014 model) in a race against a five year old Lola chassis... that wouldn't be fun... at all.

The ALMS hasn't had an Audi-like runaway in a while. All of the cars used in the past few years are available to everyone. I dont imagine that any top-flight manufacturer will want to drop money on the ALMS when the WEC holds more glory. But I do see your point, we can't have one car running away.

DP's and LMP2's should be kept. Give the DP's a bit more power so they wont be embarrassed by a GTE Corvette owning them. Have each car (LMP2, DP) use it's own advantages at different tracks. A LMP2 car will do much better at Sears Point than a More powerful DP, but I think a More-powerful DP will have the win at the Daytona 24 sewn up.

The ALMS hasn't had an Audi-like runaway in a while. All of the cars used in the past few years are available to everyone. But I do see your point, we can't have one car running away.

This^^ finally explains it. My opinion's no longer necessary here.

It is confirmed that they will not mess with GTE. There will be a GTE class in the combined series. That's always a plus!

It is confirmed that they will not mess with GTE. There will be a GTE class in the combined series. That's always a plus!

It doesn't mean that the Rolex won't be bumped up 2-3 mp/h to fit into GTE. I wouldn't mind, as long as I get to continue to cheer on the Mazdas.

Jav
Now if they'd only keep LMP2 as it is...

I think they very well might, with an option for LMPC and LMP1 cars to be properly adjusted to the same spec.

Frankly, I want LMP2 to stay the same because Patrick Dempsey's car looks so freaking cool.

And if they keep LMP2, maybe Starworks will bring their Honda around?

With regard to the Mazdas... They stopped making the Rotary engine. Dont expect to see the RX-8 in 2014, since there wont be any parts left.

Frankly, I want LMP2 to stay the same because Patrick Dempsey's car looks so freaking cool.
He drove for Mazda, too. :P

And if they keep LMP2, maybe Starworks will bring their Honda around?

Oh, Enzo Potolicchio, why? What did you get yourself into!?

With regard to the Mazdas... They stopped making the Rotary engine. Dont expect to see the RX-8 in 2014, since there wont be any parts left.

This is news to me. :dunce: 👎 :ouch: :scared: :crazy: :nervous: :indiff: :guilty: :ill: etc. <----- words cannot express. Emoticons cannot express. I'm extremely sad now.

Jav
That's what we all want to see! Not spec racing, no funny yellows to alter the course of a race. Pure racing driven by speed and governed by inteligence to keep costs in check!

Do you even watch Grand-Am or are you making this up based solely on NASCAR races? Grand-Am races aren't officated at all like NASCAR races so thats way blown out of proportion. Also, the "inteligence to keep costs in check" is the main reason the DPs existed in the first place.

It doesn't mean that the Rolex won't be bumped up 2-3 mp/h to fit into GTE. I wouldn't mind, as long as I get to continue to cheer on the Mazdas.

This is unlikely because you need a heck of a lot more than 2-3mph to catch the Rolex GT cars up to GTE. GTE is running bigger tires, much wider cars etc. I think we can expect two GT classes. GTE and then maybe they will call it "GTX"-For the current Grand-Am GT cars which are a good bit slower. Keept GTX to a spec tire while allowing GTE to run open copetition tires. Note that this GTX class would already include some GT3 cars. but this times they have detuned the GT3 cars like the AIM Autosport Ferrari ad the Oryx R8. This is what needs to have been done in the first place for GT3 as a whole. Seriously cut back the horsepower on the GT3 cars. Then run them at Le Mans for amatuers in an ACO class as well etc. I think that that the current Rolex GT class is what the pace of a GT3 car should be. That way GT3 is not interfering and stealing customers from GTE/GT2 or whatever its called nowadays.

I think Grand-Am jumped the gun with the DP3 platform. If they had stuck with the older Rileys/Dallara for one more year they would have much more flexibility in creating a new prototype class. Many teams bought these DP3 chassis and would be more than annoyed to have the car rendered obsolete by any rules change.

Blaze, a difference of 2-3 mp/h across the entire track (straights AND corners) would be a huge difference. I didn't specify "on the straights." The devil's in the details. I mean, the difference between DP and GT in Rolex is about 10 mp/h on the straights, and maybe 3 or 4 mp/h in slow corners, 6-8 mp/h in the higher speed corners. Seriously, that means 2-3 mp/h would be a huge difference.

Scott Atherton also said that the GT class in ALMS will probably remain unchanged, or at least minimally impacted. So that sounds reasonable.

Otherwise, it sounds intriguing. It may turn out badly, but from this event I remain somewhat optimistic.

The only thing that slightly bothers me is that the combined calendar that Scott put out as an 'aim' was only 12 events. When I count the unique courses that ALMS and Grand Am go to, I count about 18. I wouldn't mind losing some of the less-exciting courses, but still...which ones will go I wonder. (Some like Barber, Homestead, New Jersey, Baltimore, Detroit perhaps....but it all comes down to money and attendance) EDIT: And, the capacity of the tracks. Although we don't know how many cars will be running. I imagine a reasonably large field though.

Daytona
Sebring
Long Beach
Laguna Seca
Detroit Belle Isle
Lime Rock
Watkins Glen
Mosport
Mid-Ohio
Road America
Montreal (Circuit Gilles Villeneuve)
Baltimore
VIR
Petit (Road Atlanta)
Barber Motorsports Park
Homestead Miami Speedway
New Jersey Motorsports Park
Indy

Right My guess.. Daytona 24 and Sebring 12 to start the season and Petit Le mans to end it.

That leaves 9 races to find. I think I would not be out of line suggesting Mid-Ohio, Road America and Watkins Glen as having races.

That leaves 6 to find. Unless they turn totally insular, Mosport must have a race.

Now we have 5 to find. Two races I don't want but I feel will be on the calendar with be Long Beach and Detroit Belle Isle.

That leaves 3 to find. I don't think Indianapolis or Laguna Seca will be left out so we now have 1 to find.

This is anybodies guess but I doubt Lime Rock will be one of them. It is too small for ALMS never-mind a combined field of even more cars, so it's one of the following; Montreal, Baltimore, VIR, Barber, Homestead and New Jersey

Blaze, a difference of 2-3 mp/h across the entire track (straights AND corners) would be a huge difference. I didn't specify "on the straights." The devil's in the details. I mean, the difference between DP and GT in Rolex is about 10 mp/h on the straights, and maybe 3 or 4 mp/h in slow corners, 6-8 mp/h in the higher speed corners. Seriously, that means 2-3 mp/h would be a huge difference.

Why are we doing this in MPH when we could just use the worldwide standard of "laptime" lol....

Button didnt get pole by 1mph.....he got it by 6 tenths of a seconds:sly:

^^Blaze^^

I beg to differ, and have found official sources.

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2012/875/7161/fastest_laps.html

Notice, if you will, that Bruno Senna's fastest lap was fastest in terms of both average speed and lap times.

However, it'd be entirely ridiculous for me to claim that DP should be two seconds faster at Lime Rock Park. LRP's too short of a lap. However, the Average Speed, if it were two mp/h faster, would equate to roughly the difference between DP and LMP2, according to my "I haven't slept in 36 hours maths."

I don't deny it.

However, if I say "2-5 seconds at Le Mans," it is reasonable. If I say "2-5 at Lime Rock Park," it's horribly illogical. Do you understand my point? 2-3 mp/h faster is universal, in that regard, whereas lap times are finicky.

Do you even watch Grand-Am or are you making this up based solely on NASCAR races? Grand-Am races aren't officated at all like NASCAR races so thats way blown out of proportion. Also, the "inteligence to keep costs in check" is the main reason the DPs existed in the first place.

Talking more about amrican racing in general. Here in the US they will throw a yellow for almost anything!

A fan threw a shoe onto the track during the Busch Series race at Montreal this year. No caution was thrown, and Danica Patrick ended up hitting it while leading the race. She may have already been having problems at that point, but the shoe didn't help any.

Jav
Talking more about amrican racing in general. Here in the US they will throw a yellow for almost anything!

Not even remotely true. Even as bad as Indycar's old race control was, they didn't even throw out senseless flags the way NASCAR does. I'm telling you this is exclusively a major gimmick in NASCAR. Both ALMS and Grand-Am usually throw Yellow flags for reasonable causes such as a stopped car on track, car in the wall, parts on track (that you actually can see, more so on Grand-Am's side for obvious reasons) or oil on the track.

According to an article I read on CarBuzz today Honda is planning on racing there new NXS in GT series' world wide. They made mention to the new joint and currently unnamed joint series and the possibility of this machine taking part.

Back