2016 Australian General Discussion

• Thread starter joshmuggo
  • 364 comments
I managed a 3:35.818 which got me 414th in Aus, as at 1831 hours today. My 3rd recorded lap after about 30-40 failed attempts, those cones are damn close and braking zones into the chicanes are just luck for me!
Wow, someone talking about their race time here, that's different. Anyway it allows me to post mine.
Currently 172 in Australia with 3:31.840, which is #3521 in the world. Just firing up for another crack at it before I take the kids to the movies.
Good luck, LewyMan, it's not over yet mate.

Regarding braking zones, do you have the 'driving line' turned on? It shows braking points for most, if not all corners if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Wow, someone talking about their race time here, that's different. Anyway it allows me to post mine.
Currently 172 in Australia with 3:31.840, which is #3521 in the world. Just firing up for another crack at it before I take the kids to the movies.
Good luck, LewyMan, it's not over yet mate.

Regarding braking zones, do you have the 'driving line' turned on? It shows braking points for most, if not all corners if I remember correctly.
That's quick man, good work. I will be trying some more before it ends, but no hope of a good place, just fun to try.

No I don't like the driving line. If I play it enough I'd probably work out where to hit the picks haha

I've let myself down for this round :(
I'm so far off what i could get it feels like a joke.
Good luck everyone!

This car + those bumps = joke. Not you mate.

And don't worry, I think the only person who doesn't feel like they can still improve is Wolf_Aono.

Where do you find the live events?
I'm in Newcastle so where would i find it? I've never understand how the live events worked.

Last year they were run all over the place, both in location and date. In fact all live events were done and dusted before the end of the online qualification.

Last year the first one was at the melb f1 gp in feb/march? Then adelaide v8 supercars. Then there was a round in perth I think in april'ish. Then robina qld event was at a shopping mall in about late may. Then finally last one was at dick smith penrith, around about a week into june.

The goto person for this years info is muggo though. He said he will post the info up once the time comes. i.e. it will be posted within a week I reckon. Considering the finals have to fall on a non v8 race weekend in July, they will be pushing time to make a 5 state visit effort. Might be something more grander this year? invites to a racer x type event maybe? dunno. Still, they have to have all the names within 2-3 weeks I reckon.

Anyway, i'm still sitting in 7th with 30 to go (excluding you beau, giggity, and hollo). My brain is pretty fried now though. Really failing to put a few sectors together now.

Last year they were run all over the place, both in location and date. In fact all live events were done and dusted before the end of the online qualification.

Last year the first one was at the melb f1 gp in feb/march? Then adelaide v8 supercars. Then there was a round in perth I think in april'ish. Then robina qld event was at a shopping mall in about late may. Then finally last one was at dick smith penrith, around about a week into june.

The goto person for this years info is muggo though. He said he will post the info up once the time comes. i.e. it will be posted within a week I reckon. Considering the finals have to fall on a non v8 race weekend in July, they will be pushing time to make a 5 state visit effort. Might be something more grander this year? invites to a racer x type event maybe? dunno. Still, they have to have all the names within 2-3 weeks I reckon.

Anyway, i'm still sitting in 7th with 30 to go (excluding you beau, giggity, and hollo). My brain is pretty fried now though. Really failing to put a few sectors together now.
I really wanna do live event next year but don't understand it, could i go live event underage? Just for like a practice fun for it or whatever?

Can't say I'm not glad it's finally over, now we can get back to sensible racing with sensible cars in the Seasonals.
Finished the same as yesterday on 3:31.840 for 190 in OZ and 3,938 overall. Earlier today I managed to get over half sec up in the 1st sector but could never maintain that lead and finish.
Did I say I'm glad it's over? Well I am, big time. Cheers everyone till the next time.

Yep, you can do the live event if you want beau (probably), that's if it's similiar to last years live events. i.e. even kids could get on and have a go actually from the promo photos.

It's good to check out too, just to get a feel for the cockpits. I know one thing, the angle of the pedals if dreadfully uncomfortable for sim racing.

Plus, odds are, you might get to meet and greet a sony/nissan rep. Throw your name out there irl, and make it known, so to speak.

Last edited:
It's all over. Pretty happy with how I went with a 3.27.243, which was good enough for 28th place in Australia. Didn't expect to go as fast as I did, but it felt quite refreshing making gains every couple of days, and incredibly frustrating when I hadn't. A little disappointed I didn't make it a sub 3.27, I had the splits there and then, I just hadn't finished those laps quite well enough or at all (disqualified) to gain that elusive time.

I seem to be second place when it comes to using TC as well, with the only faster time with TC on being 26th place. All in all, learnt quite a lot from it!

Yep, you can do the live event if you want beau (probably), that's if it's similiar to last years live events. i.e. even kids could get on and have a go actually from the promo photos.

It's good to check out too, just to get a feel for the cockpits. I know one thing, the angle of the pedals if dreadfully uncomfortable for sim racing.

Plus, odds are, you might get to meet and greet a sony/nissan rep. Throw your name out there irl, and make it known, so to speak.
I so gotta try it!

Great job to those that made it through to the top 10, you guys were bloody fast! - I ended up 31st on my first attempt at GT Academy, while I know I was on a faster lap a few times, I couldnt hold it together (damn cones!!!). Overall im happy with my first go at it :)

Time to start training for next year!

#eatsleepracerepeat

How many hours did u guys spend on the final round each night? It was pretty tough considering Australia is one of the fastest in the world. I probably spent 1 - 4 hours per day with breaks in between of course and also took a 6 day off from clocking times cause of exams. Anybody else would like to share their struggles with the final round?

How many hours did u guys spend on the final round each night? It was pretty tough considering Australia is one of the fastest in the world. I probably spent 1 - 4 hours per day with breaks in between of course and also took a 6 day off from clocking times cause of exams. Anybody else would like to share their struggles with the final round?

I did about an hour a day for the first week, excluding 2 days I think. So 5 hours total (started in the 34's, then got down to about a high 27). Then from about tuesday on last week I did about 2 hours a day til sunday(27.5, 27 flat, 26.8, 26.5),, excluding 1 day, so another 7 hours. I then cranked out about 18 hours over monday, and into tuesday, staying up all night, with breaks here and there (26.3, 26.2, 26.1, 25.9, 25.8, 25.5, then multiple 25.6's to 26flats).

I hit that 25.5 at the 25 hour total mark I reckon, and didn't improve over the final 5 hours. Should have run a low 25 to flat to finish off, but just was too tired I reckon to fully nail that lap. Best sectors put me at a high 24.

I did about an hour a day for the first week, excluding 2 days I think. So 5 hours total (started in the 34's, then got down to about a high 27). Then from about tuesday on last week I did about 2 hours a day til sunday(27.5, 27 flat, 26.8, 26.5),, excluding 1 day, so another 7 hours. I then cranked out about 18 hours over monday, and into tuesday, staying up all night, with breaks here and there (26.3, 26.2, 26.1, 25.9, 25.8, 25.5, then multiple 25.6's to 26flats).

I hit that 25.5 at the 25 hour total mark I reckon, and didn't improve over the final 5 hours. Should have run a low 25 to flat to finish off, but just was too tired I reckon to fully nail that lap. Best sectors put me at a high 24.

Far out 18 hours in one day? That's insane! I can't spend too much time on the round because I am currently going through an exam period for Uni. First day I cranked a 28.1, spending probs 2 - 3 hours per day, having a break every 1.5 hours. I took screenshots of the rankings overtime to track my progress and other fellow competitors. On the 9th I had an awesome day. Had a full 8 hours sleep the day before and 30 mins in, completed an awesome time and stop clocking times 30 mins later. It was a very good lap time at that stage of the qualifiers so I thought I'd be safe for the duration of the competition so I took a 6 day off to focus on my exams.

Six days later day before the round 4 closes, I checked the rankings and found out I was almost about to get pushed out of the top 10 and freaked out. I was on my way home from studying after midnight and figure that I've just consumed a red bull so might as well clock in extra times for the final day and luckily I survived and remained in the top 10.

5 hours was probably the max I've done in 1 sitting, with breaks of course. Any more than that, my productivity decreases dramatically. Good to know that I'm not the only one who has invested alot of time into this, it was definitely stressful with exams and the competition going on simultaneously. Congrats on making it to the top ten bro!

I only did 2 or 3 laps, enough to get gold, then turned off my ps3 and went back to project cars.

Gta prep race room is up
Come one come all :P

image.jpg

Makes it hard for anyone from Perth. Carbonfibre is from W.A.

Flights (600ish) + accom (600ish) + vip pass to enter movie world (100)... then food... (be min 200)... ouch! :/

Flights (600ish) + accom (600ish) + vip pass to enter movie world (100)... then food... (be min 200)... ouch! :/
Makes it hard for anyone who isnt within driving distance due to the cost of getting there

Pretty sure Sam (Carbonfibre) is from Adelaide.

Same thing though cost wise.

Pretty sure Sam (Carbonfibre) is from Adelaide.

Same thing though cost wise.

Oh your right I think... it's webbo that came from Perth. Still, same boat, just a little less $, and not by much :/

Anyway, I think everyone's best bet is that if they want to go, and want to car pool (and possibly share accom at the GC) from melb, syd, or adelaide (or fly in, but still share accom), they should say so here, or on raceonoz forums.

I'll be leaving it up to you guys to organise it between yourselves though, as I live 150k south of movie world, so i'll probably car it up and back each day :)

Also the themepark entry has a 'buy 3, get 1' free deal til the end of this month (valid for a year). And if you can race multiple days (likely you get only 1 shot each live event day btw like last year), then you need that to get you in each day and make it financially viable.

Currently, I'll take a reserve spot for the themepark deal. i.e. I'm reasonably local to movie world, so I can still use the ticket over the next year, so individual for me is fine. So if we get to 3, 7, or 11, I'll push it up to the even 4 (goes from 100 to 75 each effectively). We have 1 taker on the raceonoz forums, plus me. Give me a poke if you organise the odd number.

Cheers,
metal

Hey boys,

Thought I'd drop in and say hello. Exciting to see the venue and dates all announced now for the National Final. Pretty pumped to get out there and give it a go this year, as its changed a lot from the 2010 final that I did last (didn't compete in 2014 - had a baby right in the middle of it).

@metalslaw - you were an online qualifier, so I'd have thought that the travel/accomodation expenses would have been included as part of the competition. Maybe only if you are interstate though? Not sure. I'll be coming from Melbourne. :)

Cheers!
SFeigl

Last edited:
Back