2017 Toyota Vitz/Yaris

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 71 comments
Didn't see this coming - There is now a GR-Sport variant of the Yaris (Hybrid). No performance improvements, but it comes with red highlights and black wheels because... Racecar.
I'm actually kinda stoked about it. Golf GTE aside, it's the only attempt any manufacturer has made recently to deliver a hybrid model that could actually be fun to drive.

Same tyres as the GRMN, same Sachs dampers, same anti-roll bar, and the GT86 steering wheel. Pity they've not tried to bump the power up at least a little, but the idea of something as frugal as the Yaris Hybrid that can take corners like the GRMN is quite appealing to me.

I'm actually kinda stoked about it. Golf GTE aside, it's the only attempt any manufacturer has made recently to deliver a hybrid model that could actually be fun to drive.

Exactly - the new Honda NSX is so boring, right? :lol:

I get what you mean though, it is nice to have some excitement injected into more mainstream hybrids without sacrificing practicality (I'm looking at you, Honda CR-Z!) If the upcoming 180hp Corolla Hybrid is given the GR Sports treatment, it could be the first direct competitor to the Golf GTE.

Exactly - the new Honda NSX is so boring, right? :lol:

I get what you mean though, it is nice to have some excitement injected into more mainstream hybrids without sacrificing practicality (I'm looking at you, Honda CR-Z!) If the upcoming 180hp Corolla Hybrid is given the GR Sports treatment, it could be the first direct competitor to the Golf GTE.
I was thinking more at the lower end of the scale! Big fan of both the NSX and the BMW i8, and for that matter the i3, but the idea of a hybrid hot hatch has been notably absent aside from the Golf.

I'm torn by this.

On one hand: what is wrong with you guys south of the border? Buying enough of the Yaris sedan to justify its continued existence, but not the more practical hatch?!

On the other: Oh yeah, that's the only way to get a Mazda 2 on this side of the pond. Well, crap, fair play then.

I wonder if Canada will keep the hatch going. We got the Echo hatchback (er, Yaris) before you guys did, after all.

I'm torn by this.

On one hand: what is wrong with you guys south of the border? Buying enough of the Yaris sedan to justify its continued existence, but not the more practical hatch?!

On the other: Oh yeah, that's the only way to get a Mazda 2 on this side of the pond. Well, crap, fair play then.

I wonder if Canada will keep the hatch going. We got the Echo hatchback (er, Yaris) before you guys did, after all.
I'm curious, considering how ancient our Yaris is, do you guys even have up-to-date tech in it there?

I'm curious, considering how ancient our Yaris is, do you guys even have up-to-date tech in it there?

We have the same humdrum list of tech as you guys do: a dated touch screen and a low-res backup camera.

I just looked at the Wiki article for the Yaris and I guess it makes sense after all: Toyota sold less than 2,000 Yaris hatchbacks across the entire US last year. That's 1/50 of the sale a decade ago, and even Canada bought 7,200 of them. Yikes.

Hatchbacks aren't cool in the USA. I remember most people I know, telling me they don't like hatchbacks, because they let the cold in. Say what?

Plus, they seem like the bargain basement model. Sedans look more upscale and an actual trunk, gives the notion of added security from prying eyes. A shame the practicality of the thing, hasn't been seen.

Hatchbacks aren't cool in the USA. I remember most people I know, telling me they don't like hatchbacks, because they let the cold in. Say what?

I mean, I guess that makes sense. If you're busy trying to fit your two shopping carts' worth of Costco into the hatch in the middle of winter, it's going to get cold in the car. :P

Plus, they seem like the bargain basement model. Sedans look more upscale and an actual trunk, gives the notion of added security from prying eyes. A shame the practicality of the thing, hasn't been seen.

Perhaps it's the Canadian — or at least, Montreal/Toronto — desire to appear more European that hatches are more popular here. I see way more Fiesta hatches than the ungainly sedan (not that I see a lot of either, but still), and while I don't have exact numbers, I'd say the Mazda 3 is probably a 50/50 split. The only one that seems to be a holdout is the Civic hatch, where I'd wager it's something like 80-1 in favour of the sedan.

I mean, I guess that makes sense. If you're busy trying to fit your two shopping carts' worth of Costco into the hatch in the middle of winter, it's going to get cold in the car. :P

Perhaps it's the Canadian — or at least, Montreal/Toronto — desire to appear more European that hatches are more popular here. I see way more Fiesta hatches than the ungainly sedan (not that I see a lot of either, but still), and while I don't have exact numbers, I'd say the Mazda 3 is probably a 50/50 split. The only one that seems to be a holdout is the Civic hatch, where I'd wager it's something like 80-1 in favour of the sedan.
It's the same over here. The 5-door hatch rules. A Mazda 3 sedan, Yaris sedan, Corolla sedan, Jetta, etc, are a rare site, compared to their hatch siblings.

I'm still amazed that they decided that it would make sense to just keep using a 4AT on the car.

Not wanting to bring the same sort of "discussion" from the A90 thread here, but...

I'm guessing it was because it was cheap, and most potential owners don't know/care. An auto is an auto.

If I had to guess, I imagine the next-gen will adopt some of the tech from the Corolla, possibly even the CVT. Toyota did the bare minimum with the previous Corolla refresh before the quite substantial one this go-round, as well as the Camry, so I'm thinking/hoping the Yaris follows that trend.

It's the same over here. The 5-door hatch rules. A Mazda 3 sedan, Yaris sedan, Corolla sedan, Jetta, etc, are a rare site, compared to their hatch siblings.

I mean, in the case of the Yaris, it's probably because it's so ugly...

What is this lol, I mean at least you get the Mazda 2 hatch but it's like Toyota doesn't have a car to use lol.

No reason for them to keep it around with it selling less than 2k cars a year. But if you can give it some life and spend a fraction on development costs, why not? And it's a Mazda2. Great car to start off with.

But that front clip. Yeah, yeah, the driver can't see the front while they're driving(unless behind a chrome gas trailer or at a traffic light, across from windows).

I was just looking at the Yaris because I need to get another car next March. If they have a Mazda 2 hatch available that would be awesome.

I would take this:
c69a75ae-2018-mazda2-black-edition-8-768x513.jpg

Over this:
bd3a0014-2018-toyota-yaris-liftback-2-768x512.jpg

I was just looking at the Yaris because I need to get another car next March. If they have a Mazda 2 hatch available that would be awesome.

I would take this:
c69a75ae-2018-mazda2-black-edition-8-768x513.jpg

Over this:
bd3a0014-2018-toyota-yaris-liftback-2-768x512.jpg
It's a better car(I have one), but I would be worried what the Toyota Facelift will do to the car.

Toyota's Yaris sedan has been a Mazda 2 since 2017. I've got one and I'm very satisfied with it.

I must admit I'm somewhat looking forward to seeing the new Yaris Hatch. The revised 2 is a seriously good looking car (for a subcompact hatch, I mean) and it's sad that we don't get it. The Yaris sedan is frightening...hopefully they put a better face on it.

At this point, any new car that isn't some sort of SUV/CUV or Truck gets me a little excited. How sad is that?

Rather unfortunate looking. Have people done Mazda2 front end swaps with the Yaris sedans?

At least it'll be a "Toyota" with Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Also unfortunate that there's no manual like the sedan.

Any news on what is happening with the Yaris outside of the US? Even though the Mazda 2 has a competent platform, I would rather see something fresh and original from Toyota given how the Corolla turned out.

Any news on what is happening with the Yaris outside of the US? Even though the Mazda 2 has a competent platform, I would rather see something fresh and original from Toyota given how the Corolla turned out.
Doesn't seem to be going anywhere here in Oz. Actually, the Toyota Racing Australia FB page changed the name to Toyota Gazoo Racing Australia. I guess the Yaris Rally program is going strong.

Haven't heard anything or seen any spy shots. There must be one in the works as the current model is really getting on now (eight years, two major facelifts and counting), but I imagine as small cars go it's doing fairly well for Toyota. It must have paid for its manufacturing costs long ago now, and in Europe at least the hybrid is the big seller, and given that essentially uses the drivetrain from the second-gen Prius it too must be pretty much all-profit now.

It's the Fiat 500 thing. If something's selling in the numbers you're hoping for and hasn't been banned for safety or emissions reasons then keep churning 'em out, as it's cheaper than building a new one to much stricter and more expensive modern standards...

Back