2019 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter yellosnake
  • 986 comments
Upper management is finally starting to listen to the teams and fans? That means one of two things: Brian "Braindead" France's DUI was the best thing to happen to NASCAR since canned bread, or:
61.png

Upper management is finally starting to listen to the teams and fans? That means one of two things: Brian "Braindead" France's DUI was the best thing to happen to NASCAR since canned bread, or:
61.png
Nah, it's not aliens unless they make a mid-season announcement that either the playoffs or stage racing will be immediately scrapped. Until then it's just the thankful result of abandoning Brian's foolish quest to steal TV ratings from other live sports, and allowing the people there who realize that they're running a racing series and not a reality drama show or traveling carnival to actually do something.

I truly believe the stage racing is a product of the Monster Energy sponsorship like the other motorsports they title sponsor (think supercross). Supercross is heat races, last chance qualifier and a main event. Monster attracts young people. Now that NASCAR is being honest about their intentions of attracting fans at the expense of existing fans and straying away from Monster, I believe we may see the end of stage racing after this season possibly. Monster isn't going to be the title sponsor in 2020.

I truly believe the stage racing is a product of the Monster Energy sponsorship like the other motorsports they title sponsor (think supercross). Supercross is heat races, last chance qualifier and a main event. Monster attracts young people. Now that NASCAR is being honest about their intentions of attracting fans at the expense of existing fans and straying away from Monster, I believe we may see the end of stage racing after this season possibly. Monster isn't going to be the title sponsor in 2020.

I don’t see the big deal with stage racing, it’s near the bottom of the current problems with NASCAR, and it seems like the general opinion with fans is that they don’t hate the idea of stage racing as much as they hate the idea of mandatory and scheduled cautions. Which I agree with, it takes the strategy completely out of it, especially on road courses.

I think if they kept on awarding points to the top 10 at the quarter and half-distance mark without cautions it’d be a good compromise.

Of course if it was me I’d get rid of them completely, but I’d also make the races shorter.

On the one hand, I can't 100% believe that they would make such a major change to the series format just at the whims of a sponsor.

On the other hand, the playoffs setup is supposedly modeled after college football playoffs, which has nothing to do with auto racing in the slightest so... heck, I dunno.
I don’t see the big deal with stage racing, it’s near the bottom of the current problems with NASCAR, and it seems like the general opinion with fans is that they don’t hate the idea of stage racing as much as they hate the idea of mandatory and scheduled cautions. Which I agree with, it takes the strategy completely out of it, especially on road courses.
It's really a case of too many gimmicks being piled on top of each other. Stage racing is something that would be well suited for a points-based championship, but the "no wins, no championship" setup of the playoffs makes points totally irrelevant. There's no reason to have those conflicting elements in play at the same time, except to try and manufacture drama which comes back to the attempted grab at TV ratings.

And as far as mandatory cautions go, we were dealing with phantom debris/"competition" cautions for years before stage racing came along, so it's not like the idea was just thrust in out of nowhere. They may have been toying with the concept for some time and we just didn't really notice it.

I think if they kept on awarding points to the top 10 at the quarter and half-distance mark without cautions it’d be a good compromise.

Of course if it was me I’d get rid of them completely, but I’d also make the races shorter.

I should have prefaced it by saying that I don't really have a problem with stage racing at all but I've said it a million times that NASCAR fans are horrible and like to complain about everything. It's an old school fanbase that is very resistant to any sort of change. That's why people hitch their wagons to great drivers of the past's kids like Dale Jr and Chase Elliott. Group qualifying with a high drag aero package was dumb and the drivers made a statement about how dumb it was and now NASCAR is going back to single car qualifying which they probably should have never strayed from. I think awarding points to the top 10 at certain intervals in the race without a caution is a great idea. The downside is phantom debris cautions. But I'm onboard.

I'm in the minority of those who liked group qualifying, I guess. It wasn't a problem before the high drag bodies were introduced.
People actually talked about qualifying, other than who got pole.
It made it a little more entertaining.

NASCAR thinks this “simulated car” thing will work, we shall see. Good idea just a few years to late.

Last edited:
Dover seems like it’s going to be one of, if not the only track that’s actually been made more challenging with the new aero package. It’s always been a hard track, and now it’s faster than ever.

There
Recorded the race today while I was at work.

Anything worthy of watching, or should I delete?
There were several good drives from the back to the front (not easy at Dover), a whole lot of green flag racing, and a clear winner.

What are you doing here? You're supposed to be at your fishing cabin. Please tell me your fishing cabin has cable.
Haha, thanks for asking! I went out to my fishing cabin Friday morning, and returned Saturday evening. We have 116' of bulkheaded waterfront on 2 acres of a low-bank cove of Hood Canal, opposite the splendid Olympic Mountains and 1 mile north of Sub Base Kitsap. The cabin has plumbing and electricity, but no cable. It's been there since 1940, gradually improved and steadily maintained by several generations. We are in the midst of renovations including a new boat house, ramp and launch system. From here, we can range out into the Straight of Juan de Fuca for Salmon, Dabob Bay for shrimp, and right out front for crabs, oysters and clams. At night it's totally dark and quiet, save for the music of the surf. All told, heaven on Earth, and only about an hour by road and ferry to Seattle.

I'm a millennial and pushing 40. I think that's technically a Gen Z car.

Yeah a millennial was born from about 1985-1997-98. You had to come of age (or at least came to the age where you started consuming and being part of culture) at the turn of or the early years of the millennium.

I’m pretty much the prime millenial age (1990) and don’t know much about what’s going on on that car (other than the acronyms and emoji, which boomers can probably understand as well since they’re the heaviest users of that stuff)

Yeah a millennial was born from about 1985-1997-98. You had to come of age (or at least came to the age where you started consuming and being part of culture) at the turn of or the early years of the millennium.

I’m pretty much the prime millenial age (1990) and don’t know much about what’s going on on that car (other than the acronyms and emoji, which boomers can probably understand as well since they’re the heaviest users of that stuff)

I've heard some theories on high and low millennials. I think there is a lot of confusion on what a millennial is. I was born in 1982 which means I reached adulthood in 2000. The actual definition of a millennial is someone who reached adulthood around 2000. I didn't make Gen X cutoff is the late 1970s. I think most attribute a millennial to someone born around year the 2000. It's all super confusing but I think millennial is a very broad term that gets abused by Gen X and even millennials themselves.

I've heard some theories on high and low millennials. I think there is a lot of confusion on what a millennial is. I was born in 1982 which means I reached adulthood in 2000. The actual definition of a millennial is someone who reached adulthood around 2000. I didn't make Gen X cutoff is the late 1970s. I think most attribute a millennial to someone born around year the 2000. It's all super confusing but I think millennial is a very broad term that gets abused by Gen X and even millennials themselves.

My girlfriend was born in ‘83 and she considers herself Gen X (or at least definitely not a millenial). I consider Gen X to be anyone who came of age in the late 80’s/early 90’s, the whole slacker/grunge era. So yeah born mid 70’s to mid 80’s. Boomers, echo boomers, gen x, gen y/millennials, gen z I guess is how it goes. No idea if people born right now are still gen z or we’ve entered a new era. It’s generally the lifestyle the teens and 20 somethings lead that creates gaps. In my opinion, the difference between Millenials and Gen Z is that we didn’t grow up as children with phones/the internet (for me they both entered prominence in high school, and smartphones didn’t arrive till after that), whereas Gen Z have had them their entire lives.

My girlfriend was born in ‘83 and she considers herself Gen X (or at least definitely not a millenial). I consider Gen X to be anyone who came of age in the late 80’s/early 90’s, the whole slacker/grunge era. So yeah born mid 70’s to mid 80’s. Boomers, echo boomers, gen x, gen y/millennials, gen z I guess is how it goes. No idea if people born right now are still gen z or we’ve entered a new era. It’s generally the lifestyle the teens and 20 somethings lead that creates gaps. In my opinion, the difference between Millenials and Gen Z is that we didn’t grow up as children with phones/the internet (for me they both entered prominence in high school, and smartphones didn’t arrive till after that), whereas Gen Z have had them their entire lives.

My wife was born in 1978 and considers herself Gen X but she won't let me consider myself Gen X even though I was listening to Alice in Chains, Nirvana and Pearl Jam in the 90's. For her the early to mid 90s was high school and for me it was middle school. There is lots of snobbery between generations and it's like an entitlement thing. My wife says I'm not entitled to be in her generation. It's so confusing but I'm a hybrid Gen X/High Millennial or Xenial lol. I got the internet in the mid 1990s and was on dial up before high speed internet. The struggle was real.

My wife was born in 1978 and considers herself Gen X but she won't let me consider myself Gen X even though I was listening to Alice in Chains, Nirvana and Pearl Jam in the 90's. For her the early to mid 90s was high school and for me it was middle school. There is lots of snobbery between generations and it's like an entitlement thing. My wife says I'm not entitled to be in her generation. It's so confusing but I'm a hybrid Gen X/High Millennial or Xenial lol. I got the internet in the mid 1990s and was on dial up before high speed internet. The struggle was real.

Blaming the generation before for all the world’s problems and being snobby about the generation after is a part of humanity that will never change. At least it seems like Gen Xers and Millenials are generally united in their dislike of Boomers.

I had dial up until 2010 I think, and even after that the only high speed internet we could get was cottage style 5GBs a month stuff. I’m not sure if my parents house can even get normal high speed even now. But even when you’re not in the middle of nowhere, Canadians have always and will always be completely shafted in every way when it comes to internet and phone plans compared to Americans.

Last edited:
Back