2019 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter yellosnake
  • 986 comments
Is DW phoning it in, or is this how he sounds now?
He just said the cars were slower because the traction compound was activated by heat.

Mike Joy was very generous by suggesting they might find out more when the cars get new tires to start the next stage rather than just calling him an idiot for not figuring old tires were causing all the cars to run slower lap times vs earlier in the night.

He's ready to retire if this is the best insight he has to offer.

Larson's car just became an unguided missile right there.

Side note: Guess Hooters doesn't really need "Millenials" to buy their food now going by that commercial

Keselowski blows a right rear tire and spins onto pit road with 10 to go! Caution is out!

I’d imagine NASCAR going hybrid will be about as big a deal as E15 fuel is “powered by ethanol”. It’ll probably be something very minor, it’s not going to be F1 overnight.

I don’t see it happening for ‘21. Helton was talking like the chassis is just going to be made as flexible as possible so they can adapt to any trends down the road.

I don’t see it happening for ‘21. Helton was talking like the chassis is just going to be made as flexible as possible so they can adapt to any trends down the road.
That seems most likely. They're going to need more than a couple years to figure out how to properly implement something that major, and since this is the first we've really heard of it I doubt they're really beyond the "hey, what if..." phase of development.

How would hybrids in NASCAR even work though? Like, they could work similar to LMP where they regenerate energy under braking, and deploy during acceleration, but that wouldn't work at the bigger tracks like Michigan, Daytona, etc where heavy braking isn't a thing. Especially if they keep the lower horsepower at large tracks like they have now. Maybe a push to pass feature?

How would hybrids in NASCAR even work though? Like, they could work similar to LMP where they regenerate energy under braking, and deploy during acceleration, but that wouldn't work at the bigger tracks like Michigan, Daytona, etc where heavy braking isn't a thing. Especially if they keep the lower horsepower at large tracks like they have now. Maybe a push to pass feature?
Push to Pass is a good idea...until people start blocking eachother into oblivion. Think 4 wide at Charlotte was insane/unsustainable? Wait til you see them stacking up as wide as the track goes and as many rows as they can get away with. It's gonna be super crashy

William Byron on Pole! 3rd pole of the year, and second week in a row! :D:D

Pocono doesn’t deserve 2 races. It’s a boring track and the racing usually isn’t great. The package was not good for this track IMO. No passing and people stalled out next to each other.

It was pretty predictable today. I predicted there wouldn’t be a single green flag pass for the lead all day, and there wasn’t other than that great pass Kyle pulled on the outside of turn 3 on Bowyer.

I think next year’s double header is the beginning of the end for Pocono having 2 races.

It was pretty predictable today. I predicted there wouldn’t be a single green flag pass for the lead all day, and there wasn’t other than that great pass Kyle pulled on the outside of turn 3 on Bowyer.

I think next year’s double header is the beginning of the end for Pocono having 2 races.
wow. Yikes

“The advent of hybrid power in NASCAR is “a matter of when, not if” according to Ford Performance’s motorsport boss Mark Rushbrook, as the series looks to develop a next-generation powertrain from the 2022 season.

Speaking at the Le Mans 24 Hours test at the weekend, Rushbrook suggested that hybrid power would only be used on suitable tracks, such as road courses and short ovals, both of which would generate the braking energy required to power a KERS-style system.

“There’s a lot of open discussion of hybrids in NASCAR,” said Rushbrook. “It’s just a matter of when, not if. It’s probably in the 2022-2023 timeframe.

Rushbrook also said that the hybrid would give the extra power required on road tracks and short ovals that would mean the internal-combustion engines would be the same spec at all races.

“It would be the same combustion engine with an electric motor added onto it or not,” he added. “In some sense today the series is already there. At the big tracks they run approximately 550 horsepower, on road courses it’s 750 horsepower.”

-From Motorsport

“The advent of hybrid power in NASCAR is “a matter of when, not if” according to Ford Performance’s motorsport boss Mark Rushbrook, as the series looks to develop a next-generation powertrain from the 2022 season.

Speaking at the Le Mans 24 Hours test at the weekend, Rushbrook suggested that hybrid power would only be used on suitable tracks, such as road courses and short ovals, both of which would generate the braking energy required to power a KERS-style system.

“There’s a lot of open discussion of hybrids in NASCAR,” said Rushbrook. “It’s just a matter of when, not if. It’s probably in the 2022-2023 timeframe.

Rushbrook also said that the hybrid would give the extra power required on road tracks and short ovals that would mean the internal-combustion engines would be the same spec at all races.

“It would be the same combustion engine with an electric motor added onto it or not,” he added. “In some sense today the series is already there. At the big tracks they run approximately 550 horsepower, on road courses it’s 750 horsepower.”

-From Motorsport
Road courses and short tracks only sounds a lot better than a push to pass system

Went to the Hendrick Motorsports Museum after school today. Wasn't very big, but had a ton of cool stuff.
Here's a couple of the cars they had on display.
One of the Chevy Luminas used in the filming of Days of Thunder
IMG_3901.JPG

Dale Jr's 2017 Homestead car(cleaned up to look nice) and his 2014 Daytona 500 winner still exactly the way it was after the race.
IMG_3909.JPG

Still had the peice of bear bond on the grill that he picked up under the final caution.
IMG_3910.JPG

Jeff Gordon's inaugural Brickyard 400 winning car.
IMG_3917.JPG
Chase Elliott's winning car from Watkins Glen.
IMG_3918.JPG

I also got to see the race shops. Two huge building right next to each other. I was only allowed in the front lobby's of each one, but the lobbies were filled with trophys and a couple more cars. The highlight was the trophy that Dale Jr. won at Michigan in 2012. That was the first race I ever saw him win.

Chase Elliott and William Byron cars
IMG_3927.JPG

Jimmie Johnson and Alex Bowman cars
IMG_3944.JPG
Only had one window looking into the shop
IMG_3932.JPG

Dale Jr's 2012 Quicken Loans 400 trophy
IMG_3947.JPG

Pano photo of the race shops from outside
IMG_3961.JPG

I also picked up some William Byron merch from the gift shop!
IMG_3963.JPG

Was definitely a lot of fun. Gonna have to check out some of the other shops in the area. I'm thinking Penske next.

Went to the Hendrick Motorsports Museum after school today. Wasn't very big, but had a ton of cool stuff.
Here's a couple of the cars they had on display.
One of the Chevy Luminas used in the filming of Days of Thunder
View attachment 825645
Dale Jr's 2017 Homestead car(cleaned up to look nice) and his 2014 Daytona 500 winner still exactly the way it was after the race.
View attachment 825646
Still had the peice of bear bond on the grill that he picked up under the final caution.
View attachment 825647
Jeff Gordon's inaugural Brickyard 400 winning car.
View attachment 825648 Chase Elliott's winning car from Watkins Glen.
View attachment 825649

I also got to see the race shops. Two huge building right next to each other. I was only allowed in the front lobby's of each one, but the lobbies were filled with trophys and a couple more cars. The highlight was the trophy that Dale Jr. won at Michigan in 2012. That was the first race I ever saw him win.

Chase Elliott and William Byron cars
View attachment 825653
Jimmie Johnson and Alex Bowman cars
View attachment 825656 Only had one window looking into the shop
View attachment 825655

Dale Jr's 2012 Quicken Loans 400 trophy
View attachment 825657

Pano photo of the race shops from outside
View attachment 825658

I also picked up some William Byron merch from the gift shop!
View attachment 825659

Was definitely a lot of fun. Gonna have to check out some of the other shops in the area. I'm thinking Penske next.

I like how that Hendrick museum hasn’t changed one bit (other than the cars in it) since I went there in 2001. The Cole Trickle car is even in the same spot still.

Back then you could still physically go inside the shops, there was just ropes limiting where you could go, but you were like 15 feet away from all the cars (there’s pictures of me somewhere in my favourite driver Nadeau’s shop, my mom in front of Gordon’s, and a picture of Terry Labonte’s special Monsters Inc. paint scheme being prepared to race).

But that was the exception. Even back then all of the other shops had glass between you and the cars.

In case anyone missed it, Greg Biffle won the truck race last night. His first truck win since 2001!
Must be nice to drive Rowdy's equipment. He's a good driver, but if he was put in a different truck last night, I don't see him winning. Interesting story, nonetheless.

Any word on a potential start time?

edit.

Postponed to tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back