2019 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter yellosnake
  • 986 comments
With the stats Jones put up climbing the ladder and the state of JGR today, he should be expected to be on their level, to be honest.

Jones just hasn’t adapted to Cup yet, and I don’t feel like he’ll be able to stick around long enough to have a Logano-style career post-Gibbs since he doesn’t bring sponsorship money (unlike Byron or Suarez who have all the time in the world to develop)

That said, I don’t think Gibbs as a whole are quite where they were a few years ago. They’re probably the 3rd best team overall after Penske and SHR.

Last edited:
You also have to remember that NASCAR keeps significantly changing the cars. Drivers that were fast with 900hp cars like Tony Stewart, Jmmie Johnson, and Kyle Larson didn't adapt as well to 750hp cars with more downforce. Now that the cars make, what, 550hp, and have even more downforce, the driving style needed to succeed has again changed. Drivers that looked promising 5 years ago are driving very different style vehicles today. It seems to be working better for Truex. Like him or not, Kyle Busch wins all the damn time no matter what you put him in.

Jones just hasn’t adapted to Cup yet, and I don’t feel like he’ll be able to stick around long enough to have a Logano-style career post-Gibbs since he doesn’t bring sponsorship money (unlike Byron or Suarez who have all the time in the world to develop)

That said, I don’t think Gibbs as a whole are quite where they were a few years ago. They’re probably the 3rd best team overall after Penske and SHR.
It's basically this:
Penske
SHR
Gibbs
Hendrick
Ganassi
Roush
RCR
That's it. And it will take luck for any of the Chevys to win, based on how much they have lost with the model change.

Last edited:
It's basically this:
Penske
SHR
Gibbs
Hendrick
Ganassi
RCR
That's it. And it will take luck for any of the Chevys to win, based on how much they have lost with the model change.

I’d put Roush about even with or maybe above RCR, I feel like they’re better than people give them credit for, they just haven’t had A-list talent behind the wheel since Edwards left, and Stenhouse (Mr. Inconsistency/giving it 130% 100% of the time) or Newman (well past his prime) both pull off great runs once in a while

I’d put Ganassi above Hendrick for now, maybe flip if Hendrick continues to make progress.

Also... come on guys. I put Kyle in the same tier as Terry Labonte, Bill Elliott, Rusty Wallace, Ned Jarrett, Junior Johnson, and Mark Martin. All Hall of Famers, but you’d think I grouped him with Brian Scott judging by a couple of these replies

I’d put Ganassi above Hendrick for now, maybe flip if Hendrick continues to make progress.

Also... come on guys. I put Kyle in the same tier as Terry Labonte, Bill Elliott, Rusty Wallace, Ned Jarrett, Junior Johnson, and Mark Martin. All Hall of Famers, but you’d think I grouped him with Brian Scott judging by a couple of these replies
Rusty Wallace was a short track legend in the Cup series, a near lock to be in the top 3 if the track was under 1 mile in length for the better part of 2 decades. Elliott was a threat on every superspeedway for nearly 3 decades. Mark Martin was a threat to win at EVERY type of track, once winning 4 weekends in a row in the Cup series at Watkins Glen, Michigan, Bristol, and Darlington. I still think Kyle Busch is a better driver than any of these guys, all things considered. The hardest part to separate in your tiers is drivers from different eras, as we really don't know how much of a difference top-tier equipment made 50 years ago.

For me, the top tier of drivers based on pure driving talent would be Dale Sr, David Pearson, and Tony Stewart. Kyle Busch could also be in this category.

I could easily hear arguments for Richard Petty, Jeff Gordon, Darrell Waltrip, Jimmie Johnson, Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison, Rusty Wallace, and Mark Martin. I think all of them would be in various 1A or 1B tiers just under the drivers at the very top of the talent pool. Some of these guys had better results, more championships, or better overall career statistics, but I don't think all of it was based on driving ability, or ability to get the absolute most out of their car.

If you put every driver in their absolute prime into identical equipment (high horsepower, low aero, softer tires that fall off), and ran multiple 15-race seasons at Daytona, Rockingham, Bristol, Wilkesboro, Martinsville, Talladega, Sears Point (full course), Charlotte, Dover, Pocono, Michigan, New Hampshire, Indy, Darlington, and Homestead (old Atlanta, basically), I think Dale Sr, David Pearson, Tony Stewart, and Kyle Busch would score more points than the other drivers on this list in more seasons than not. The dogfight for 5th probably comes down to a scrap between Gordon, Jimmie, Martin, Rusty, and Darrell Waltrip in most seasons.

Sooooo why was attendance at Bristol so low? Was it the weather or are the tickets to expensive or is it something else completely different?

Rusty Wallace was a short track legend in the Cup series, a near lock to be in the top 3 if the track was under 1 mile in length for the better part of 2 decades. Elliott was a threat on every superspeedway for nearly 3 decades. Mark Martin was a threat to win at EVERY type of track, once winning 4 weekends in a row in the Cup series at Watkins Glen, Michigan, Bristol, and Darlington. I still think Kyle Busch is a better driver than any of these guys, all things considered. The hardest part to separate in your tiers is drivers from different eras, as we really don't know how much of a difference top-tier equipment made 50 years ago.

For me, the top tier of drivers based on pure driving talent would be Dale Sr, David Pearson, and Tony Stewart. Kyle Busch could also be in this category.

I could easily hear arguments for Richard Petty, Jeff Gordon, Darrell Waltrip, Jimmie Johnson, Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison, Rusty Wallace, and Mark Martin. I think all of them would be in various 1A or 1B tiers just under the drivers at the very top of the talent pool. Some of these guys had better results, more championships, or better overall career statistics, but I don't think all of it was based on driving ability, or ability to get the absolute most out of their car.

If you put every driver in their absolute prime into identical equipment (high horsepower, low aero, softer tires that fall off), and ran multiple 15-race seasons at Daytona, Rockingham, Bristol, Wilkesboro, Martinsville, Talladega, Sears Point (full course), Charlotte, Dover, Pocono, Michigan, New Hampshire, Indy, Darlington, and Homestead (old Atlanta, basically), I think Dale Sr, David Pearson, Tony Stewart, and Kyle Busch would score more points than the other drivers on this list in more seasons than not. The dogfight for 5th probably comes down to a scrap between Gordon, Jimmie, Martin, Rusty, and Darrell Waltrip in most seasons.

I just find it hard to compare them because a lot of these drivers, especially the modern ones, have never had to race for anything other than a top team. We never got to see Stewart, Gordon, Johnson, or Busch overachieve in mediocre equipment. The closest they came was in their Xfinity careers (Busch in the 32 in ‘08 or KBM 54 in ‘12, Johnson and Gordon in their early days, Stewart was always in great equipment), and none of them were really world beaters.

Stewart is really too temperamental to be considered the one of the best of all time in my opinion. You can visibly see in his stats when his heart wasn’t in it (like 2008 when he didn’t want to be racing a Toyota, or post-injury and post-Kevin Ward at the end of his career, when he really wasn’t THAT old but still lagged far behind his teammates). THE BEST driver should have performed under all circumstances. Plus his ‘98 in a Gibbs Busch car wasn’t anything to write home about, and if he was THE BEST he should’ve been able to adapt almost instantly.

Last edited:
The larger spoiler and splitter mean they can corner at faster speeds than before, despite going slower than before at the end of the straightaway.

So, driving now requires even less skill, and the teams that find that little bit of extra power and downforce will be faster while everyone runs wide open all the way around the track. This is basically just glorified go kart racing at a kid's park.

I would much rather see the races won by the best drivers, not the teams with the best engineers in the wind tunnel.

Again, put the power back up around 900 horses (or more!), remove the splitters, get the cars up off of the ground and make the drivers WORK to sling those iron chariots through the corners. Make turning these cars a wild adventure and a chore again.

Reward the driver that can best manage his equipment, preserve his tires, and find the best way to get through a corner. I loved watching guys let off early and get back in the gas sooner vs those that would drive it in way too deep and hope it stuck.

Wide open throttle all the way through the corners will eliminate all of these contrasts of style and tactics, making the racing even less interesting.
YEEEEEESSSSSS!

Sooooo why was attendance at Bristol so low? Was it the weather or are the tickets to expensive or is it something else completely different?
Everything really.

Track hasn’t had consistent quality in some time.

Weather has been awful last few years for this race and there was rain in the forecast.

Bruton thinks charging people an arm and a leg for tickets and only drawing 50,000 people is worth more than cheap tickets and packing the house.

Hotels are notoriously awful around Bristol. Bowyer tweeted out that he called around after the XFINITY race and places were charging in the neighborhood of $300 for one night.

The track decided not to sell corner seats at all both to save some money by not staffing those areas and making stretch seating look better.

The track decided not to sell corner seats at all both to save some money by not staffing those areas and making stretch seating look better.
It still looked awful.

Since they are too stubborn to admit defeat and resurface the track back to its 1990's configuration, what is their next best solution? The track itself would almost have to build a hotel to guarantee competitive pricing, as the local hotel owners would apparently never do it themselves, even for the greater good.

It still looked awful.

Since they are too stubborn to admit defeat and resurface the track back to its 1990's configuration, what is their next best solution? The track itself would almost have to build a hotel to guarantee competitive pricing, as the local hotel owners would apparently never do it themselves, even for the greater good.
Honestly? Their best solution is to have five more races like we had Sunday there, and they’ll be alright. I don’t know about ever selling the place out again, but they could fill it back up again.

All of those other problems I mentioned have always been problems. That didn’t stop it from being the toughest ticket in the sport for ten years, and a lot of that was because people will deal with all sorts of BS if the product they are buying is guaranteed to be good.

All of those other problems I mentioned have always been problems. That didn’t stop it from being the toughest ticket in the sport for ten years, and a lot of that was because people will deal with all sorts of BS if the product they are buying is guaranteed to be good.
There was a point in time where Bristol tickets had to be bought two years in advance, and getting any seat near the start/finish line required nothing less than a favor from Don Corleone. Even scalpers were having a hard time getting any kind of ticket for a Bristol race.

Granted, part of that had to do with the fact that there were quite a few less seats available at that time. But even then I can't think of many events of any kind that required you to buy a ticket that far ahead.

http://jayski.com/

It's still relatively barren, but ESPN doing a decent thing is nice for once. I think I'm more excited for this and the actual NASCAR season.
That's good news to see the rightful owner back there.

Also.... Sonoma will run the full circuit again? It's been 20+ years since the last time it was run, meaning possibly only Harvick and Johnson have ever run the configuration in a NASCAR event.

It's still relatively barren, but ESPN doing a decent thing is nice for once. I think I'm more excited for this and the actual NASCAR season.
Makes sense that ESPN would relinquish the rights to the domain since they wouldn't have any use for it. I'm a bit surprised they went through the trouble to make sure it went back to the proper owner, but definitely good on them for doing so and not letting some domain squatting vulture snatch it up.

And hey, maybe now that 90s-tastic layout really will make a comeback, eh? (doubt it, but it'd be funny if they did do that for a short while)

Sonoma bringing back the carousel is pretty interesting too, though I am wondering what spurred that decision. Not complaining of course, just more curious than anything.

Yessss!!!
That's good news to see the rightful owner back there.

Also.... Sonoma will run the full circuit again? It's been 20+ years since the last time it was run, meaning possibly only Harvick and Johnson have ever run the configuration in a NASCAR event.
Checking racing-reference.info, I searched for any races run there 1997 and prior by the drivers still around who were racing somewhere during that time period (Harvick, Johnson, Newman, Kurt). All I could find was Harvick running 2 races there, a Featherlite Southwest race in 1995 and a Truck Series race in 1997. Interesting fact I had no idea about while doing the search: not only did Harvick run quite a few Truck races in 1997, but he also ran 4 races in 1996 and even 1 in 1995. I didn't realize he had been running NASCAR THAT long.

Yessss!!!

Checking racing-reference.info, I searched for any races run there 1997 and prior by the drivers still around who were racing somewhere during that time period (Harvick, Johnson, Newman, Kurt). All I could find was Harvick running 2 races there, a Featherlite Southwest race in 1995 and a Truck Series race in 1997. Interesting fact I had no idea about while doing the search: not only did Harvick run quite a few Truck races in 1997, but he also ran 4 races in 1996 and even 1 in 1995. I didn't realize he had been running NASCAR THAT long.
I was a bit ambitious on Johnson but Harvick I knew ran there at least once.

Makes sense that ESPN would relinquish the rights to the domain since they wouldn't have any use for it. I'm a bit surprised they went through the trouble to make sure it went back to the proper owner, but definitely good on them for doing so and not letting some domain squatting vulture snatch it up.

And hey, maybe now that 90s-tastic layout really will make a comeback, eh? (doubt it, but it'd be funny if they did do that for a short while)

Sonoma bringing back the carousel is pretty interesting too, though I am wondering what spurred that decision. Not complaining of course, just more curious than anything.
The thing was, ESPN basically took the site, gutted it, and tried to make something of what was left, which was nothing. Jayski without Jay is.... can't even think of a proper word for it.

The thing was, ESPN basically took the site, gutted it, and tried to make something of what was left, which was nothing. Jayski without Jay is.... can't even think of a proper word for it.
Oh, I'm well aware of that. I meant ESPN might have just sat on the domain name, not used it for anything and then not bothered to renew it when their claim on it lapsed however many months from now that would've been, rather than doing the decent thing of taking the (admittedly minimal) effort of transferring it back so it can go into use immediately.

Jayski without Jay is.... can't even think of a proper word for it.
Jay himself is set to retire after they get the site fully operational, so wait a couple of months to see that.

Scott is going to take over most of the operations like he already kinda was in the last couple of years

Jay himself is set to retire after they get the site fully operational, so wait a couple of months to see that.

Scott is going to take over most of the operations like he already kinda was in the last couple of years
I keep forgetting that Jay founded the site 23 years ago.

They chose to revert to the original layout in celebration of the tracks 50's anniversary*.

*Technically it opened Dec. 1968, but I'm guessing they are celebrating it this year since it's the first full year.

They chose to revert to the original layout in celebration of the tracks 50's anniversary*.

*Technically it opened Dec. 1968, but I'm guessing they are celebrating it this year since it's the first full year.
Does that mean they will keep it after this year or it will revert back to the normal configuration in 2020 (similar to F1 at Bahrain a while ago)?

That's a pretty darn good reason, I'd say. Hopefully the race will be interesting enough that they decide to keep it in that configuration.

Does that mean they will keep it after this year or it will revert back to the normal configuration in 2020 (similar to F1 at Bahrain a while ago)?
That depends if the fans like it and it's the best race of the season you can bet that NASCAR won't keep it by the recent decision they have made, OK by the decision they have made since the start of the Brian France era.

Back