2019 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter yellosnake
  • 986 comments
Wow. Is this legit? They've talked for years and years and years about changing up the schedule and have instead done small tweaks at most every few seasons. While there aren't any new tracks, it sure is different. Aside from the comments above, I find it interesting that they're only hitting Pocono once, but it's a double header. So what's it going to be? Surely not two 400 mile races?

The other thing that seems odd is that there isn't a single off weekend between April 19th and July 19th, but they have a two week break July into August. I wonder why. I feel it would make more sense to move the second of those two off weeks to after Daytona to give the drivers a break before the playoffs begin. Then again, this is NASCAR...

Considering all the tracks are still locked under contract through 2020 it's about as much change as we were going to get. It will be very interesting to see what changes there are in 2021. It does seem like they are testing the waters for some big changes though with the addition of the Roval last year and the Pocono double in 2020.

Now if they could just get rid of the cautions at the end of the segments they would really be on the path to making NASCAR watchable again!

Overall ...Meh. What I'm hoping is that this leads to a bigger revamp in 2021 where we may finally get at least one new track since Kentucky. The double header at Pocono is interesting, I think this is something NASCAR should look into doing on the Cup side. Not for every race, but this could work at a lot of places. Oh, and night race at Martinsville. Good idea.

However, not a fan of the cutoff for the playoffs being a total crap - shoot restrictor plate race. That, and we still have the playoffs.

Im About to End This Mans Whole Career 26032019224158.jpg

I thought NASCAR learned their lesson having a plate track be an eliminator when Harvick was able to manipulate the outcome of a playoff race by keeping a car on the track that had no power, wreck the field, end the race under caution, retain his position because of the caution he caused locking his finishing position and advancing to the next round. I believe he won the championship that year.

Agreed, plate races should not be the final race of the round. What I don't get is what does putting a double header for Pocono solve? Now there is a 2 week break between New Hampshire and Michigan. Unless they are scheduling a summer break for NASCAR, it's odd.

Martinsville night race in the spring. I'll be there.

Bristol night race in the playoffs? I might finally go there.

Agreed, plate races should not be the final race of the round. What I don't get is what does putting a double header for Pocono solve? Now there is a 2 week break between New Hampshire and Michigan. Unless they are scheduling a summer break for NASCAR, it's odd.

The general consensus for the two week break/Pocono double is mainly for the 2020 Olympics. NASCAR coverage will have flipped to NBC by that time.

Last edited:
I applaud NASCAR for finally taking the initiative and shuffling the schedule for the first time in over a decade. The only complaint I have is that the season should end in the Southeast, but I (and it seems like a lot of others) believe Phoenix is just going to be the finale for one year only, and it’ll be the beginning of shuffling it around every season, which is about the only way the 1 race to decide it all format makes sense. Same with the 2 week break, it’ll just be a 2020-only thing for the Olympics (not that there’s a whole lot of overlap in the fanbases there, it’d Just take precedence over NASCAR on the main NBC/NBCSN networks).

It does seem like by bottom-loading the schedule though, there will be a lot of boring races in the spring/summer stretch, and it might cause some people to lose interest.

From what I’ve read both Pocono races will be full length 400 mile races, which I’m not so sure about. Could end up with some dehydrated drivers.

Daytona as the playoff cutoff is a good microcosm of the playoffs themselves, luck-based crapshoot.

2021 is where we’ll start to see tracks added (I imagine Nashville and a new road course will be added that first year) and dates taken away from others and the number of races maybe get reduced from 36.

Last edited:
The general consensus for the two week break/Pocono double is mainly for the 2020 Olympics,. NASCAR coverage will have flipped to NBC by that time.
Yeah, just realized that. I still think that a non-Olympic year (2021) the schedule makes less sense.

Didn't notice the Martinsville race being a night one. I've been interested in that for a while. And Indy is going to be HOT, temperature wise. It was miserable enough in early August/late July. Please just put lights up and make it a night race already. :lol:

It does seem like by bottom-loading the schedule though, there will be a lot of boring races in the spring/summer stretch, and it might cause some people to lose interest.
This concerns me. It comes across like they're still trying to compete directly with the NFL for TV ratings, and decided that overstacking the most gimmick laden part of the season was the way to do it.

If schedule changes are going to be made specifically to cater to the playoff format, I feel that's going to do more harm than good.

Martinsville night race in the spring. I'll be there.

Bristol night race in the playoffs? I might finally go there.
If you want to camp in my backyard let me know I live about 5 miles from track, but you will be fighting the Rhythm & Roots Reunion crowd as the idiots think that it would be a great ideal to have both on the same weekend. I'm guessing that Bristol will (should) fix this and show NASCAR how stupid they are.

Overall I kind of like that schedule. Not crazy about ISM as championship decider though.

I like that they moved Chicagoland further from the July 4th weekend.

Likes: Pocono doubleheader; Martinsville night race, early western swing, the Roval
Dislikes: Daytona getting booted from July 4th. Indianapolis will not put on nearly as good a show and the whole thing is a dead event walking in my eyes. Also all the carnage associated with that. And ISM holding the season finale sounds for sure like a temporary, slightly anticlimactic decision

YouTuber David Land brought up a point about the Homestead race that is worrying. While the dates haven't been released yet, it's very possible that the 1000 Miles of Sebring/12 Hours of Sebring and the NHRA Gatornationals could all happen on the same weekend as Homestead. That's 3 major motor sport events happening on the same weekend in Florida.

Last edited:
If you want to camp in my backyard let me know I live about 5 miles from track, but you will be fighting the Rhythm & Roots Reunion crowd as the idiots think that it would be a great ideal to have both on the same weekend. I'm guessing that Bristol will (should) fix this and show NASCAR how stupid they are.
The local paper has stated that Rhythm & Roots Reunion personal are already looking at changing the dates so screw you NASCAR!

YouTuber David Land brought up a point about the Homestead race that is worrying. While the dates haven't been released yet, it's very possible that the 1000 Miles of Sebring/12 Hours of Sebring and the NHRA Gatornationals could all happen on the same weekend as Homestead. That's 3 major motor sport events happening on the same weekend in Florida.
1. I feel bad for the Fox TV crews. They're all gonna die of exhaustion.
2. The twentysomething in me says "You Florida race fans have it all! no fair!" Followed by: If I were in FL, this would be "challenge accepted"
3. YYeeaahhhh this could be an attendance sapping clusterfudge...assuming it doesn't rain.

The local paper has stated that Rhythm & Roots Reunion personal are already looking at changing the dates so screw you NASCAR!
And yes they have moved Rhythm & Roots Reunion to the week before the race. That didn't take long at all. Must be a first for Bristol Tn/Va.

Daytona 2 not being on July 4th weekend is interesting, it being the LCQ for the chase and Indy on the 4th kill the interest.

I'm going to the Cup race Sunday, anything new I need to be prepared for?

Daytona 2 not being on July 4th weekend is interesting, it being the LCQ for the chase and Indy on the 4th kill the interest.

I'm going to the Cup race Sunday, anything new I need to be prepared for?
Bad calls by NASCAR, also they are using the sticky stuff on the track so watch for cars getting too high in the grove and spinning out or hitting the wall.

Latest Posts

Back