2019 Touring Car discussion - WTCC, BTCC etcTouring Cars 

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 664 comments
General curiosity - do they have polling booths at the track?
I wish. No merchandise this round, but I was given a TCRA cap for being nice.

Every single TCR car looks beautiful. Professional liveries. Yes, even the unloved Alfas. Pics and video will never do them justice.

I spoke to Chris Pither for a minute. Asked him about the car and if they're giving rides. He smiled and said, 'Fun!" Then said they're not giving rides as they don't know the cars yet.

On another topic, the S5000 sounds insane!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

For the first ever qualifying session, having the top 10 covered by just over a second is quite something. This looks like a very promising series indeed.

Don't think I've ever seen a car loaded onto a flatbed while on the starting grid before. :crazy: Terrible luck for Moffat.

Awesome to see. I'll see how it looks on tv, but being there, I was entertained. Nice short attention span race. Worth the 20 bucks for a Saturday's race.
We could al see the cars sliding from the Grandstands at t1. A few times two wide. Couldn't see how the field got spread out at the start.

Subarus looked slow. Chelsea's car didn't sound like Rullo's(his was loud and hers was like the car had road car silencers) and he looked much faster.
The Alfa(s) looked fast. The VWs too. Will Brown was flashing lights and I thought he was quicker than Tony D.

I f anyone car go to any TCR race anywhere, just go. The cars look so robust and to me, look better than the VASC cars. Meaning, so close to the road cars.

I'll give the two Subarus and the Astrontech i30, best liveries. They're all excellent though.

Honorable mention goes to the i30N Sportba(c)k Safety car. That thing was snap, crackling & popping as loud as the TCR race cars. 👍

Edit on the subject of rain

May get early rain at SMP tomorrow.

Last edited:
Since there didn't appear to be any BTCC updates since the Brands Hatch season opener, here is a short review of what happened at the last meeting at Donington:
http://www.btcc.net/2019/04/28/event-review-donington-park-2/
Key developments are as follows. Pole and two wins for Turkington, a first-lap accident in the first race causing Jordan to withdraw, Tingram scoring his and Speedworks' first victory with their works-backed Corolla. Ash Sutton currently leads the main Drivers' championship following a string of second, third and fifth place finishes - a substantially better start to his title challenge than in the past two seasons.

Right, onto Thruxton. Race 1 pole for Sam Tordoff, from Cammish and Jordan. After having suffered various bouts of bad luck in previous rounds, I hope that he can make good use of his pace in the older FK2 Civic tomorrow and get his championship run going.
http://www.btcc.net/2019/05/18/sam-tordoff-snatches-late-pole-position-at-thruxton/

Subarus looked slow.
According to Andre his car is having trouble on downshifts. He can't go down through the gears fast enough. They said on the broadcast that the Subaru is actually one of the fastest cars in a straight line.

According to Andre his car is having trouble on downshifts. He can't go down through the gears fast enough. They said on the broadcast that the Subaru is actually one of the fastest cars in a straight line.
Awesome to know about their speed. Like I mentioned above, they were the loudest and could definitely tell which were the Subarus blindfolded.

Many people on Speedcafe were upset with not only the broadcast, but the venue. Saying SMP wasn't the best track. Well, we all know the drivers have to get used to the car. Can't expect every driver to be Tarquini on debut. I did agree maybe Winton might have been the best track to start with. Love the progressive grid too.

However, SMP does compensate the drivers' lack of TCR skills, for having the long straight. From my seat, the slipstream was definitely aiding cars to stay close. It was interesting to read Chelsea's reaction after the race. She enjoyed and said the car was good. Looked like she was falling back from Rullo and Alexandra in the Golf, was catching her. I'd love to see what Foxtel could do with the package, in addition to Free to air. Just showing the whole weekend without ad breaks while keeping the SBS live stream broadcasts.

As for the support races, F4 was horrible. Six cars on the grid. Really don't know what can be done to boost the series numbers. I'd have preferred the Production Cars to run. Was cool to see the Alfa club racing. They had 26 cars on the grid.

Oh, this is going to get better each round. Nice race just then. Drivers more aggressive this time with more of an understand how to set up the cars. Interesting about no cooling. So, racing during winter isn't too bad.

I wonder if Phillip Island will really show the pace of which cars need BOP adjustment.

The production levels of the broadcast are pretty low, and the camera direction can be pretty frustrating. A lot of camera cuts away from battles to random on boards and what not. They missed the start line incident just now in race 3.

Race 2 was pretty great though.

The production levels of the broadcast are pretty low, and the camera direction can be pretty frustrating. A lot of camera cuts away from battles to random on boards and what not. They missed the start line incident just now in race 3.

Race 2 was pretty great though.
They could definitely do with some more cameras.

I wonder if Phillip Island will really show the pace of which cars need BOP adjustment.

The Astra's and Megane's would probably be in line for a little adjustment. The other cars look extremely even. Think they've done a great job with the BoP for this weekend.

Edit: Suspension failure for Heimgartner apparently. Shame because that car was looking really good.

Last edited:
Hyundai set up looked untouchable this round. Was hoping for the Alfa to grab race 3. Still, I call Round 1 a success.

Andrew Jordan wins the first BTCC race of the day at Thruxton, a sweet reward for WSR following their efforts to repair his car post-Donington. Sadly, it seems like Tordoff's curse has struck again...
http://www.btcc.net/2019/05/19/jordan-jinks-by-tordoff-for-race-one-win/

UPDATE 1:
Jordan makes it a double in Race 2, from Turkington and Cammish. From the evidence thus far, WSR's 330i M Sport is really starting to show itself as the NGTC car to beat this season. Ash Sutton on reverse-grid pole.
http://www.btcc.net/2019/05/19/jordan-claims-comfortable-double/

UPDATE 2: Josh Cook takes his second victory for BTC Racing in Race 3, having passed Sutton in the first corner on the opening lap. Rory Butcher (AMD Honda FK2) and Sutton round out the podium, the former now jointly leading the driver's championship with Turkington. Shame about Jordan, however - a punt from Stephen Jelley saw him finish down in 17th!
http://www.btcc.net/2019/05/19/commanding-cook-wins-final-race-at-thruxton/

Last edited:
The Thruxton races brought back memories of the Super Touring era. Still so cool to watch. Looks weird without a Renault on the grid. Love how the cars bounce around at high speed.

Next TCRA round at Phillip Island, is a fast circuit like Thruxton. Hopefully it will be just as exciting. The Astras may need a boost in power though.

Yeah it would be... if we had a track with enough pit bays to run a truly international event.

We've already got 17 cars (which could still expand), add some cars from our across the ditch buddies and it doesn't leave many spots for internationals. I doubt the international teams would foot the bill for the travel anyway so it would probably be better (financially) if they limited it to Oz, NZ and Asia.

Edit: Unless they run sprint races. But that's a long way to come (for internationals) for not much fun. Anything less than a 4-6 hr. (minimum) would be a wasted opportunity imo.

Last edited:
Bathurst have enough pit bays. SMP have enough to house the 17 TCR cars, Porsche GT3 and F4 over last weekend. I'm more concentrated on Bathurst. There were how many Production Cars a few years ago? 60? It could be done. I think there that many in the 12H a few years back too.

Back