2019 Touring Car discussion - WTCC, BTCC etcTouring Cars 

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 664 comments
Hyundais are running extra weight in TCR Europe as well. They're prett darn quick.

Less weight, still might not aid the Astras and Meganes. Ruling said the car is struggling for straightline speed. Moffat said the Megane is good around the back part of SMP. With PI a high speed momentum circuit, those cars may be at the back.

Can't wait for next week.

I'm not sure the Australian motorsport fans are ready for these sort of ''compensation'' changes after what's been happening in Supercar land. It might be a better idea to let the teams iron out all the bugs in their cars first before they start changing things too much.

I'm not sure the Australian motorsport fans are ready for these sort of ''compensation'' changes after what's been happening in Supercar land. It might be a better idea to let the teams iron out all the bugs in their cars first before they start changing things too much.
I agree. It's different with this series over VASC. Especially, if many that watch TCRA don't watch VASC. Thing is, TCRA need to keep with the "BoP" usage. Naming it something else because it's the Australian series, breaks the continuity of someone watching here and the overseas races.

However, It'a going to take a while for some teams to get up to speed. If the Hyundais, let's say. continue to motor away from the field, it may have been too late if this weight adjustment wasn't implemented now.

No doubt, set up, data from Europe, etc will need to learned by all teams. It's just the Alfas, Audi, Hondas, Hyundais and VW, seem to be ready to race, over the Opels, Subarus and Renaults. Sure, some teams just got their cars off the boat, straight onto the track.

I agree. It's different with this series over VASC. Especially, if many that watch TCRA don't watch VASC. Thing is, TCRA need to keep with the "BoP" usage. Naming it something else because it's the Australian series, breaks the continuity of someone watching here and the overseas races.

However, It'a going to take a while for some teams to get up to speed. If the Hyundais, let's say. continue to motor away from the field, it may have been too late if this weight adjustment wasn't implemented now.

No doubt, set up, data from Europe, etc will need to learned by all teams. It's just the Alfas, Audi, Hondas, Hyundais and VW, seem to be ready to race, over the Opels, Subarus and Renaults. Sure, some teams just got their cars off the boat, straight onto the track.
If the Hyundai's are better prepared and win the championship then so be it. Andre said during the telecast on Saturday that the Subaru is way under-developed and not in the same league in the suspension department in comparison to some of the other brands.... that's on the homologation team, not the officials.

It already looks like the officials are trying to hard to keep the championship even when I read things like this,

''Compensation weight is different to ballast added and subtracted under the TCR global Balance of Performance structure. Think of BoP as a way of equalising cars globally, while compensation weight is intended to equalise drivers in a series.''

''While Andre Heimgartner was among the quickest drivers at SMP, Subaru team-mate Molly Taylor was one of the slowest, with neither helped by down change issues. Meanwhile, the Astras of Alex Rullo and Chelsea Angelo were hit with engine misfires.''

So they have two forms of equalisation, one for the driver and one for the car, but Andre gets the same reduction as Molly even though he was one of the fastest :crazy:, and we're still yet to learn of possible BoP changes. How will it look if KR get on top of their cars for PI and Andre comes out and smashes everyone?

I really hope this series takes off but they just need to let things sort themselves out a bit for now.... and they really need to source some better/even quality homologation teams for some of the makes for the whole series.

Edit: Another two cars coming 👍.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/05/31/mpc-adds-two-more-audis-to-tcr-fleet/

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I wish they'd keep it consistent with global TCR rules. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Anyway, the first time FF racers will catch up over the season.

You and me both :lol:. I'd never heard of it before either :embarrassed:.

Edit: So Subaru don't even run in WTCR :confused:

And this is interesting: https://www.touringcartimes.com/2019/05/29/australian-reports-incorrect-wtcr-bathurst-plan/

''While this implied negotiations were underway in respect of an Australian circuit hosting a round of WTCR, it’s now clear the negotiations were actually in regards to another TCR series.

While WTCR is the acknowledged top tier of the TCR pyramid, WTCR is wholly promoted by Eurosport Events, and Lotti has no involvement in the calendar for this championship.

Lotti’s WSC Group is actively involved however in the promotion of a number of other TCR series, such as TCR Europe and Asia, which are both FIA sanctioned “international series”. It’s not been confirmed by WSC Group which series, if either of these, Arocca’s talks with Lotti have been in relation to.''

So it would be more than likely Asia TCR that was being talked about for Mt. Panarama.... which makes a lot more sense than WTCR.

Last edited:
You and me both :lol:. I'd never heard of it before either :embarrassed:.

Edit: So Subaru don't even run in WTCR :confused:

And this is interesting: https://www.touringcartimes.com/2019/05/29/australian-reports-incorrect-wtcr-bathurst-plan/

''While this implied negotiations were underway in respect of an Australian circuit hosting a round of WTCR, it’s now clear the negotiations were actually in regards to another TCR series.

While WTCR is the acknowledged top tier of the TCR pyramid, WTCR is wholly promoted by Eurosport Events, and Lotti has no involvement in the calendar for this championship.

Lotti’s WSC Group is actively involved however in the promotion of a number of other TCR series, such as TCR Europe and Asia, which are both FIA sanctioned “international series”. It’s not been confirmed by WSC Group which series, if either of these, Arocca’s talks with Lotti have been in relation to.''

So it would be more than likely Asia TCR that was being talked about for Mt. Panarama.... which makes a lot more sense than WTCR.
I knew about the Subaru TCR in Europe, from pics but, had not watched one race until SMP.

Indeed. I can see TCR Asia & Japan bringing cars over, the way Porsche Cup Asia come over for a meeting. Speaking of TCRAsia:
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2019/05/31/21-car-grid-third-round-tcr-asia-china-shanghai/

''All cars started the season with 60kg of compensation weight which is a variable administered by the series itself outside of Balance of Performance (BoP).''

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/06/03/tcr-aus-teams-pushing-to-meet-new-weight-regs/

“On paper yes (it should be better) but there is no weight to take out of them (Subarus),” Kelly told Speedcafe.com.

So if the Subaru can't remove the weight because that's just how much it weighs, doesn't that mean it started with no compensation weight? :sly:

And a bit disappointed about this news: https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/06/04/tanders-phillip-island-tcr-drive-a-one-off/

Yeah, the weight thing is crazy. However, Heimgartner got that bad boy up to 2nd and challenging for the lead before the suspension failed. Less weight might make it "too" quick.

I'm fine with the one-off. As long as he has something good to report and gives his blessing, it makes more people interested.

Yeah, the weight thing is crazy. However, Heimgartner got that bad boy up to 2nd and challenging for the lead before the suspension failed. Less weight might make it "too" quick.

I'm fine with the one-off. As long as he has something good to report and gives his blessing, it makes more people interested.
Crazy alright :lol:. Why wouldn't they build the car to minimum weight? 💡

Heimgartner can just use a little less jandal. You only have to win by an inch ;). Molly Taylor is the one that'll suffer.

About MOlly Taylor, I just watched a quick walk through the cars being prepared. Her car was in white black and grey colors. Same design as the Castrol and Kangan liveries.

Edit: Nice

Last edited:
Tander' car
IMG_6869.JPG

Watching TCR Australia is great because it's essentially what I wanted from a UK based TCR series with a healthy grid and star drivers from the main series whether that's the BTCC or British GT. It's a shame it hasn't worked out and the grids discussed never happened with the series averaging 10 cars a race.

Just had a look on youtube. Yeah, that's not cool with the TCR UK grids. Seems like past BTCC drivers just went over to TCR International (now Europe). May have simply taken too long for the TCR UK series to debut there.

Edit: TCR Europe Compensation weight heading into Spa
bop-21545791030366680153.png

Last edited:
Just had a look on youtube. Yeah, that's not cool with the TCR UK grids. Seems like past BTCC drivers just went over to TCR International (now Europe). May have simply taken too long for the TCR UK series to debut there.
Yeah. The grids are sparse where you'd expect a Touring Car series to thrive with one already existing with grids nearing 30 cars. I think if it was on the British GT support program, I think it could have done well.

Edit: TCR Europe Compensation weight heading into Spa
bop-21545791030366680153.png
Wow, goes to show just how great the i30 N TCR is if they are just hitting it with everything. :lol:

Back