2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

The French are dropping another potential bomb. There are rumors that Kimi may be announcing his retirement at Monza.
The rumour is that Mercedes are waiting to announce Russell because Alfa want to announce Bottas as Kimi's replacement at Monza, so everyone's having to wait.

As stated, that's just the main rumour which has been cropping up on Reddit and elsewhere. Not at all sourced or to be thought of as fact, but that's the thought.

Which bit? :D
Kimi retiring, Bottas leaving Merc or Russell moving to Merc?
Räikkönen retiring. I don't want to see, and haven't enjoying seeing, Kimi trundling around at the back of the grid.

It's overdue.

The rumour is that Mercedes are waiting to announce Russell because Alfa want to announce Bottas as Kimi's replacement at Monza, so everyone's having to wait.

As stated, that's just the main rumour which has been cropping up on Reddit and elsewhere. Not at all sourced or to be thought of as fact, but that's the thought.
Wouldn't Mick take the first available Alfa seat?

More likely that Bottas would return to Williams.

Then Haas could maybe move up Fittipaldi?

There seem to be about 10 drivers linked to three seats at the moment. As with every silly season it's just pure speculation. No one really knows what discussions are going on behind closed doors unless there are spies in every team

Listening to Missed Apex this morning, Joe Saward was adamant that Alex Albon will be in the Williams in 2022. Apparently he was on standby at one point to replace Latifi after an inconclusive Covid test result...

Can't see de Vries getting an F1 seat. He took three years to win F2 and not exactly convincingly. Yes he just won FE but we know how much of that is a lottery. I don't think many teams see him as F1 material.

Kimi's just announced his retirement:

E-NtUCcWUAQbobM

Heartbreak :(

I'm going to miss that man all my life.
I've never been a fan of his personality (or lack thereof) but it is sad to see the retirement of such a significant driver, and unlike with Alonso you know it's actually the end.

I'm just glad that he won a World Championship, and boy what a title to win too - his record in recent years has been admirable, esp. at Lotus where he was super-impressive. Driving for a lesser team is inevitable eventually, but his attitude throughout his tenure at AR has been exactly the same as it ever was - feisty but unflinchingly professional, as well as a hard but always fair driver.

He will be sorely missed, but he sets a very high bar in terms of what up and coming drivers can and should aspire too.

I wasn't sure on Kimi in the beginning, but I think that was more down to me not understanding him. In recent years I've become a big fan although I admit the timing is right to retire.

Yes Kimi, you will have the retirement.

Guess having Aiden Jackson as a team mate got to him, or Devon Butler wound him up enough.

I'm just glad that he won a World Championship, and boy what a title to win too - his record in recent years has been admirable, esp. at Lotus where he was super-impressive. Driving for a lesser team is inevitable eventually, but his attitude throughout his tenure at AR has been exactly the same as it ever was - feisty but unflinchingly professional, as well as a hard but always fair driver.

He will be sorely missed, but he sets a very high bar in terms of what up and coming drivers can and should aspire too.
I will always remember that 2005 Japanese Grand Prix. Kimi started 17th and passed Fisichella going into turn 1 on the last lap for the win.

Still I wish for Kimi to match Mika's WDC numbers at least, giving 2 multi-WDC Finns (I think Kimi's a 1-time WDC that is multi-WDC level talent, others I view as that are Mansell and Rindt; Mansell too had bad luck in some years to miss WDC). Like his year at 2003 it was a similar one to Alonso's 2012, and both are the driver of the year in those years, but he had bad luck retiring from the lead, with Schumacher driving bulletproof Ferrari.

I will always remember that 2005 Japanese Grand Prix. Kimi started 17th and passed Fisichella going into turn 1 on the last lap for the win.
Kimi's great moments had unfortunately put an expense to Fisichella, sad for him, though 2003 had Fisichella coming ahead of him (like Maldonado's win at 2012 in front of Alonso). Other moment is 2009 by taking away Fisichella's win when Force India was supremely good in that track. It's similar to Russell's 2021 before that a backmarker gets 2nd place finish due to circumstances (well, 2 lap for 2021 Spa).

He extended his career at least 1 year more than expected to be honest! But what a fantastic career, deserving of more than 1 Championship. Mika Hakkinen got me following both F1 and McLaren, and Kimi Raikkonen was the perfect tonic when Mika "left".

Back