2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

Nothing we don't already know, but Bottas confirms George's promotion to Mercedes as well.
"My departure was kind of consensual. We agreed with Toto Wolff that I would change the team and they would take George."
Full article translation
According to HS, Valtteri Bottas' new contract is for two years and includes an option year.
Valtteri Bottas is changing teams and believes Alfa Romeo will perform better in the future than it has this season.
For the first time in his career, Valtteri Bottas knows what he will do after next year.
Alfa Romeo announced the 32-year-old Finnish driver's "multi-year" contract on Monday. According to HS, Bottas' contract is for two years, with an option for one year.
"All I can say about the length of the contract is that it covers at least the next two seasons," Bottas told HS by phone from his home in Monaco.
"At least now I know that I don't have to think about the contract for a while and I can concentrate fully on the work itself. And not just on the current season, but I can also focus on the long term development work ahead."
For Bottas, leaving Mercedes initially felt "a bit unusual".
"It was a strange feeling, but as I thought about it, it became clear that this is already my fifth season there. It feels refreshing to get a fresh feel in a completely new environment," Bottas says.
"Another big factor in my decision was that I finally got a deal longer than one year. It motivates me and gives me more confidence in the job, because it's a long-term deal and you don't have to be on the back foot all the time."
Bottas becomes the fourth Finn to join the Swiss team, which has also previously been known as Sauber and BMW.
Jyrki Järvilehto drove for Sauber in 1993 and Mika Salo in 2000. Kimi Räikkönen first drove for Sauber in 2001 and then for Alfa Romeo for three seasons from 2019 to 2021. Apart from Talli, only McLaren has had four Finnish drivers in its history.
Alfa Romeo currently sits second to last in the Manufacturers' World Championship, but next year it has a big chance to improve its position thanks to the new rules.
"It could be that the deck will be reshuffled. At least in theory, the balance of power will change so that all the teams are closer together," Bottas stresses.
When Räikkönen returned to Alfa Romeo for the 2019 season, the decision was heavily influenced by a brief meeting with team principal Frédéric Vasseur, although Räikkönen did not even know him beforehand.
Bottas, on the other hand, knows Vasseur, and this influenced his decision.
"We have a history together from previous years, and I won the GP3 championship with him in 2011," says Bottas.
"When Vasseur goes into a project, he puts his all into it. I have a lot of confidence in him."
Bottas has not yet visited the team's headquarters in Hinwil, Switzerland. For the rest of the season, he is still fully focused on his duties as Mercedes driver.
Bottas admits that apart from Alfa Romeo, his former team Williams was also an option.
"I tried to put all the facts on the table and go where I felt there was more potential for the future," says Bottas.
"I think this was the best option. Of course, the truth will only be known in the future. In the end, I came to this with a pretty clear vision."
Mercedes is expected to announce in the near future that it will promote George Russell, who is part of its driver programme, from Williams to team-mate with Lewis Hamilton.
Russell backed up Hamilton, who was sidelined by a corona infection, last season in Bahrain and performed very well as a team-mate for Bottas. Bottas says he doesn't know if that race weekend will have any impact on Mercedes' decision.
"Of course the team always has long-term plans for its drivers."
"My departure was kind of consensual. We agreed with Toto Wolff that I would change the team and they would take George."
Bottas admits that when he joined Mercedes for 2017 he expected to win the world championship.
"But try it against Lewis Hamilton... Not an easy task. That's what I found out."
"It's been a bit of an up-and-down last few years, but a lot has been learned and a lot of good things have come out of it. I can be proud of the fact that everything has always been in play and nothing has been left to chance. At least I've tried."

Last edited:
Glad that Pierre keeps a seat. Also glad Tsnuoda keeps his too because I'd like him to have another year to prove himself.
There's another way for this though like Grosjean did where he went back to GP2 after 2009 and dominated those seasons, and he enters F1 significantly better albeit still error-prone.

2022 is gonna be the year of no rookies.
There is still one Alfa Romeo and one Williams seat available, we may yet see De Vries appear in the latter. I personally don't see Albon getting a seat next year, so it increases the chance of a rookie

Red Bull has to release Albon first to get a seat from what I'm reading, and Horner doesn't seem happy that Wolff made the notion of getting Albon into the Williams seat.

Last edited:
There is still one Alfa Romeo and one Williams seat available, we may yet see De Vries appear in the latter. I personally don't see Albon getting a seat next year, so it increases the chance of a rookie
A delayed F2 to F1 promotion for Nyck who is already under Mercedes contract? Or a rookie from this years F2 grid? Piastri, Zhou?
I put my bet on Nyck

This has been a slam dunk for a while.
Screenshot_20210904-080348_Chrome.jpg

Apparently it's not clear if Red Bull has fully released Albon so that he can be at Williams. Some are reporting that he's been released, but still maintains a personal relationship with Red Bull that will allow for "future options." Others are saying that he's still a Red Bull driver and is basically on loan, somewhat similar to Sainz when he drove for Renault in 2018.

In any case, this is a good move for Williams. Albon is a known quantity, and has valuable experience racing for one of the big teams, which will surely assist in them hitting the ground running with the new regs. I also imagine Williams will be a lower-pressure environment, which will be good for Albon to really refine his speed and racecraft.

He's wearing an AlphaTauri t-shirt in this picture, doesn't make it much clearer though that may be as a thank you to RB.

He races with an AlphaTauri livery in DTM, and AlphaTauri is a clothing brand like Benetton, GAP and Superdry. As much of a veiled "he's still part of Red Bull" as that is, he's wearing designer clothes rather than deliberate team gear.

So yes, your observation of it being a subtle nod is certainly valid, but there's also a load of other factors that mean it isn't as un-innocent as it could possibly have been. It's like if Bottas did his Alfa Romeo announcement in a Tommy Hilfiger shirt. He drives for a team currently sponsored by them and can wear their clothes in a photo of him not in team gear because they are designer, everyday clothes. This photo is the same, it's just "coincidence" that the brand he's wearing is owned by Red Bull and also happens to be another car on the grid.

If you understand the point I'm trying to make in that mess of a post you deserve a Nobel Prize :lol:

Also, Latifi has a third season at Williams confirmed.
Nice. Latifi's been doing a great job this year, and has shown major improvement compared to where he was when he first started F1. While he's not exactly lighting the world on fire, I do think that his performance this year has been a bit under the radar.

I think this is the right move from Williams on both fronts. Latifi is clearly an amicable chap they work well with, and his improvement seems to be ramping up over these last few. Albon is a no brainer who really had no business dropping off the grid, if you ask me, and the further he can distance himself from Red Bull oversight, the better it will be for his career.

Rumour is that Vettel is thinking of leaving F1 at the end of this season. This could be why Stroll Sr was apparently trying to poach Alonso for 2022.

I think this is the right move from Williams on both fronts. Latifi is clearly an amicable chap they work well with, and his improvement seems to be ramping up over these last few. Albon is a no brainer who really had no business dropping off the grid, if you ask me, and the further he can distance himself from Red Bull oversight, the better it will be for his career.
Factoring in the driver lineup, a fresh car design and knowing that they'll have a quite a bit more money to work with, 2022's actually starting to look promising for Williams. Or at the very least, a whole lot less dismal then it has been the last few years.

Last edited:
Rumour is that Vettel is thinking of leaving F1 at the end of this season. This could be why Stroll Sr was apparently trying to poach Alonso for 2022.
Vettel has already been looking around for another job during this season. He seems to be considering a career in waste management, or as a firefighter

Finally, someone has come forward and said that making it mandatory for teams to sometimes run a Young Driver in FP1 is going to be discussed.

It doesn't need to be massive. Just state that each car has to be driven by a driver with 2 or fewer race starts in F1 in at least 3-5 FP1 sessions through the season. That way there's no crying over which driver has to give up seat time, and it means the teams can choose races for commercial reasons (like for example putting Zhou in at the Chinese Grand Prix) or for circuit knowledge reasons (replacing Tsunoda at Monza because he's a rookie that has to give up time, so do it at a track he's driven before). It doesn't need to be much, but it would be a fantastic use of FP1.

Alex one of many who just isn't good enough, not bad, just not top either, similar level to someone as Nyck. But good for him he gets another shot.

Back