2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

Kimi is THE F1 driver, to me. I watched F1 from my infancy in the mid 90s but Kimi was the first driver I liked and identified on my own terms. It's wild to think he only has the one title to his name, tho I feel in the eyes of fans his legacy surely equals a good number of the multiple champions.

Kimi's career can teach us all that conventions and traditions are made to be shattered, as the unheralded Finn seemed to do everything his own way, on and off the track. His casual demeanour never came off as forced, but as if he genuinely struggles to make a big deal out of things that simply aren't, despite any amount of media fire stoking. He never seems to have lost his perspective on the great fortune he's had to drive in F1, and has always shown his appreciation for it, where others get wrapped up in the race to race frustrations of the circus.

In the car, Kimi always seemed to get results by sheer determination. He has never struck as the perfect teammate, with drivers or engineers, but I'm certain you'll find no one who ever doubted the effort he put in every time he sat in the car. He has always raced, and not simply driven.

In his later years Kimi has been embraced by the internet and younger fans as the meme machine of F1, but this did absolutely nothing to cheapen his value to the sport and his legendary prowess as a competitor. I am not sure we will ever see someone again who so beautifully straddles the line between entertainment and competition as Raikkonen has.

I, personally, will always remember Kimi's McLarens, which bore him the great McL bad luck pretty consistently thru his time with us, but there seemed to be no end to the times Kimi would produce something magical, whether in Q or the race. In a time for the sport that involved a lot of gritted teeth and Michael winning, Kimi always kept things interesting.

I'm glad that he goes out as experienced and respected as he deserves to be. I am fairly sure for a long time to come if someone asks me what an F1 driver should be like, I'll be giving a detailed description of Kimi Raikkonen, the last (sorry Valtteri) of the true Flying Finns.

He extended his career at least 1 year more than expected to be honest! But what a fantastic career, deserving of more than 1 Championship. Mika Hakkinen got me following both F1 and McLaren, and Kimi Raikkonen was the perfect tonic when Mika "left".
Want Kimi and Mika to have the same recognition talent-wise... like you said deserved more than 1 WDC, and Mika got 2 (albeit actually, his 1999 performance isn't really remarkable).

People bash Kimi for his 2014, but didn't realize that Mika was the same in 2001, got beaten convincingly by Coulthard, but he retired after that albeit he planned for sabbatical at first.

Last edited:
Want Kimi and Mika to have the same recognition talent-wise... like you said deserved more than 1 WDC, and Mika got 2 (albeit actually, his 1999 performance isn't really remarkable).

People bash Kimi for his 2014, but didn't realize that Mika was the same in 2001, got beaten convincingly by Coulthard, but he retired after that albeit he planned for sabbatical at first.
Judging talent purely by WDC is a bit of a misnomer - As you say, Raikkonen probably deserved more, whilst Hakkinen possibly less. What maybe irks me more is that the memories being most shared of Kimi Raikkonen are basically eating ice cream, taking a sh:mad:, walking onto a boat, having some drinks at the awards event, and his win at Japan in 2005! Yes he gave us a lot of funny memories, but it is almost disrespectful to omit his racing. Just my 2 cents before people think I'm triggered and on a rant! 😅

After Kimi's retirement, silly season start linking Albon and De Vries with Williams and Alfa.

But I'm surprised there are no rumours about Oscar Piastri.
2019 Renault Eurocup champion
2020 F3 champion
Current F2 leader
If he is proclaimed champion, he will not be able to be in F2 next year.
Alpine has their seats taken with Ocon and Alonso, but I think Renault would have to find them a seat at Williams or Sauber. I think he is a more talented driver than Albon and De Vries.

Also it would seem strange to me that Alfa Romeo with his link with Ferrari stay keep puting money in Sauber without any Ferrari Academy driver racing for the team.
With Illot going to IndyCar, Giovinazzi out, Schumacher in Haas, why not give a chance to Shwartzman.

Alfa Romeo Sauber: Bottas / Shwartzman
Williams: Latifi / Piastri

Sauber: Bottas / De Vries
Williams: Latifi / Albon

Sauber: Bottas / Albon
Williams: Latifi / De Vries

I prefer the first option.

Judging talent purely by WDC is a bit of a misnomer - As you say, Raikkonen probably deserved more, whilst Hakkinen possibly less. What maybe irks me more is that the memories being most shared of Kimi Raikkonen are basically eating ice cream, taking a sh:mad:, walking onto a boat, having some drinks at the awards event, and his win at Japan in 2005! Yes he gave us a lot of funny memories, but it is almost disrespectful to omit his racing. Just my 2 cents before people think I'm triggered and on a rant! 😅
Honestly, this was partly why I would've been OK with him calling it done last year when it was obvious the legalised Ferrari engine had ripped any competitiveness out of the Alfa. Granted, playing out this year means any new recruit wouldn't have to get acquainted with 2 different specifications in as many years, but as mentioned already he's basically been trundling around at the back during that time.

The new Liberty generation (for lack of a better term) only really know him for his aloof media persona and as the reigning Ferrari world champion... he basically became a walking meme. I still have memories of stonking performances in the mid 00's (demolishing the field by a full second in aggregate qualifying for Monaco '05 springs to mind) as well as the time at Lotus.

It was around '04 that he became "my" driver to cheer on and because of that, I still feel a bit guilty for Lewis in '07, as I must've been one of the few people in the country (not malevolently anyway) that was praying for a miracle for Kimi or a gremlin for Lewis, despite the 17, 18(?) point deficit with 2 races to go. And we know what happened then...

NGL I might shed a tear or two if he gets a send-off from the old guard at the finale. Then again, chances are he might well dive straight back into the pits to avoid the serenades and walk off into the sunset! :D

Well I guess Kimi's persona really isn't much in F1 and which is why some think no driver is like Kimi, one of a kind, of someone who is that genuine of what he likes and dislikes, not standing out, being laidback in his approach, etc. where a good amount of others are those who wants to get as many glory and spolight as possible and treat F1 as everything. But there are quite a number of talented drivers, Kimi wouldn't be exactly one of a kind in that department, there's Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen, Leclerc, Russell, etc.

Though true it stings if people open up their interest to Kimi with something as "he may not be the best driver ever but his other appeal is ...." (but not everyone who likes Kimi for his off-track persona talks about his driving, but there are). But even then there are those who think Kimi only got WDC due to McLaren's implode and that his WDC is not genuinely on merit.

Some more brand new information in the coming days/weeks.

George Russell to Mercedes (eventually when they decide to get a move on and announce it)

I can’t remember if I read it here or Reddit, but over the weekend, the story was Bottas to sign with Alfa Monday (today) followed by George to Mercedes Tuesday.

Well I think this will be good for Valterri in that he will not be under so much pressure/team player rules as he was with Mercedes but
can also probably rule out any driver championship opportunities for him now.

The writings have been pretty clear especially with Kimi announcing he will be leaving F1, it should make for a more interesting 2022 season to see how it plays out with the new 'rookie' at Mercedes once they confirm him of course.

I can’t remember if I read it here or Reddit, but over the weekend, the story was Bottas to sign with Alfa Monday (today) followed by George to Mercedes Tuesday.
With so many predictions being thrown about by millions of people, one will inevitably be correct by virtue of the Shakespearean Monkeys theory, and as we all know, monkey poo is some of the stickiest.

Last edited:
I’ve also read Gio only has a few races to keep his spot or else he’ll be out. Albon and De Vries are the names apparently up for the 2nd seat.

I look forward to him qualifying 17th and being 20th by the end of lap 1.
What do you think about Gio then as some can criticize his race too? Actually he does get ****ed up by team strategies sometimes, or previously, puncture.
Well I think this will be good for Valterri in that he will not be under so much pressure/team player rules as he was with Mercedes but
can also probably rule out any driver championship opportunities for him now.

The writings have been pretty clear especially with Kimi announcing he will be leaving F1, it should make for a more interesting 2022 season to see how it plays out with the new 'rookie' at Mercedes once they confirm him of course.
As early as when Kimi retiring is a truth, other rumors would be true as well, though I hope Alfa keeps Gio, I wonder how he measures up against another driver.

Alfa Romeo: If you want to win, hire a Finn
Everyone else: No, not that one. Or that one.
They could try Esapekka Lappi, I suppose? He did want to be a circuit racer before settling for rally... If you'll punt on Valtteri, surely anything is worth it.

I think the deal just about makes sense for both parties. Alfa retain a driver with experience but is still just about in his prime, BOT was left with very few options elsewhere so it makes sense to take a drive near the back and get some decent results without pressure. He knows he's had his best chances for winning a title, he's not going to get another one and he seems OK with that.

What I find insane is that Bottas has been at Mercedes for... what, a billion years now? And he's won nine races.

Verstappen's won nine in a clearly worse car in the exact same time frame (plus a tenth back in 2016) before this season. Yeah, he's not been Hamilton's team-mate, but when your #1 driver in the fastest car isn't winning, the #2 driver in the fastest car should be and more than half the time he hasn't been - Hamilton's won 42 of 76 races from 2016-2020, Vettel 10, Bottas and Verstappen nine each, Riccardo 3, Leclerc 2, and one each for Raikkonen, Perez, and Gasly.

What I find insane is that Bottas has been at Mercedes for... what, a billion years now? And he's won nine races.

Verstappen's won nine in a clearly worse car in the exact same time frame (plus a tenth back in 2016) before this season. Yeah, he's not been Hamilton's team-mate, but when your #1 driver in the fastest car isn't winning, the #2 driver in the fastest car should be and more than half the time he hasn't been - Hamilton's won 42 of 76 races from 2016-2020, Vettel 10, Bottas and Verstappen nine each, Riccardo 3, Leclerc 2, and one each for Raikkonen, Perez, and Gasly.
He's pretty much part of that not small group of F1 drivers who can have a very good weekend here or there but doesn't have the consistency of a champion. There have probably been less than 10 races in their time together Bottas has looked unbeatable by HAM. Far, far more in the other direction.

Last edited:
He's pretty much part of that not small group of F1 drivers who can have a very good weekend here or there but doesn't have the consistency of a champion. There have probably been less than 10 races in their time together Bottas has looked unbeatable by HAM. Far, far more in the other direction.
I'm not convinced he's ever really been genuinely faster. He won a couple of races at the start of 2019 and 2020, mostly by getting a better start than Hamilton, and then having Hamilton just outside DRS range for the entire race. Hamilton could've very easily passed him again in those races if he wanted but I imagine he knew it was still early and there was point taking unnecessary risks.

What do you think about Gio then as some can criticize his race too? Actually he does get ****ed up by team strategies sometimes, or previously, puncture.
He's just...okay. Not massively fast, not massively slow, not massively destructive, and not massively ballsy either. He's basically Marcus Ericsson with long hair. He seems a bit better this year but that could just be because Kimi is clearly slowing down. Assuming he doesn't stay at Alfa next year he'll either sell his soul to Formula E or end up in sports cars.

How was Bottas at Williams?

From what I remember, he didn't really stand out. When it was announced he was joining Mercedes, it was more of an ehh moment.

How was Bottas at Williams?
Embarrassed Maldonado in his first season in a backmarker Williams (3rd on the grid in Canada). Was equal to and better than Massa when the Williams was worthy of podiums in 14-16. His performances were definitely worthy of a promotion to a top team, whether he was the best option available is a different question, but it was more of a when, not if.

Embarrassed Maldonado in his first season in a backmarker Williams (3rd on the grid in Canada). Was equal to and better than Massa when the Williams was worthy of podiums in 14-16. His performances were definitely worthy of a promotion to a top team, whether he was the best option available is a different question, but it was more of a when, not if.
He was worthy in the sense that Mercedes knew he would at the worst be a solid number 2 to Lewis, which is exactly what they got.

Bottas fulfilled his role just as Mercedes-Benz and Lewis Hamilton wanted. Aaaand look how happy he his!

Just food for thought for George Russell; the promised grass might not be as green as he thought seeing how the last guy was treated. Hamilton'll still be there for two years and it might be an uphill struggle. Or Hamilton finds himself in a reversal of his 2007.

Who knows. Russell has more potential now than when Bottas made his move from Williams.

Massa post-accident was consistently underscored, only being above inferior cars throughout 2010 (albeit that year he still had some his past form before team order)-2013. And probably his form didn't change much in Williams as in 2014 he's still beaten by Alonso using F14-T.

Back