2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

the Spa - Gio crash was absolutely avoidable too
How? He slowed and did his best to anticipate the trajectory of the car but then an entire wheel and hub assembly flew across the track. Impossible to avoid.

gio.jpg

Wonder if Alpine might be second guessing signing Ocon, Piastri looks really special and is probably favourite at this point to win the f2 title a 2nd in a row as a Rookie, absolutely mega pole lap he got at silverstone just now.

Just braking would have safed him. Kimi was still between him and Gio so it wasn't that he had plenty of time to react to a safety-car causing crash in front.

Look how far he is away. Would've been a easy miss for Lewis, Seb, etc.

russpa.JPG

Just braking would have safed him. Kimi was still between him and Gio so it wasn't that he had plenty of time to react to a safety-car causing crash in front.

View attachment 1067953

Russell's onboard footage starts at the 40 second mark, we see Gio's car re-enter the track at 42 seconds and George hits Gio's tire ~1.5-2 seconds later.

As you can see, he did brake, but he also had to adjust because A) Gio's wrecked Alfa was moving across the track directly in front of him, and B) Gio's freshly-liberated tire was also moving across the track at a decent speed also directly in front of George. If he had braked any harder, he likely would've locked up and either still hit the tire, spun, or T-Boned Gio. If he tried to turn more aggressively to avoid the incident, he either would've gone into the grass and eventually the wall, or T-boned Gio. Not to mention all the debris that could've potentially ended his race as well.

Only way George could've saved himself is if he had literal super-human reactivity, and had the ability to shut off his adrenaline, see the tire and brake and turn in a way that doesn't cause a lock-up and/or spin, all within a couple hundred yards at best.

Last edited:

View attachment 1067953
He did react and would have avoided the car, but nobody can account for a hub flying across the track out of nowhere. Watch the video at full speed, did you see it coming?

No I just saw a big crash which 100% is the reason to stop the car. Russell didn't like most of todays F1 and got the karma. Just a question of time we have another Bianchi incident with this behaviour. And I'm sorry but you'll never convince me that this crash wasn't avoidable. It wasn't yesterday. We all know the footage.

Last edited:
No I just saw a big crash which 100% is the reason to stop the car. Russell didn't like most of todays F1 and got the karma. Just a question of time we have another Bianchi incident with this behaviour. And I'm sorry but you'll never convince me that this crash wasn't avoidable. It wasn't yesterday. We all know the footage.
It wasn't avoidable. It just wasn't. There isn't an argument or a case for Russell to argue here. It was not avoidable.

Why are we discussing this again?

We all know the footage.
Not sure how accurate that statement is, because the footage clearly demonstrates George doing the thing you claimed he wasn't doing. It's best not to ignore reality just because it doesn't suit your opinion (and yes, I noticed you trying to move the goalpost just now as well).

Anyways, back to the driver market discussion. With George's performance in Qualifying just now at Silverstone, where he took the 2nd worst car on the grid and outperformed 3 world-championship winning drivers (including a 4-time WDC) and a Ferrari, I feel like he's making a case for someone to pick him up. Mercedes would be crazy not to pick him up at this point, and if they don't, the other teams would be crazier not to buy out their 2nd driver's contract if it meant putting Russell in their car.

I'd love to see Williams grow exponentially, especially with next years regulations, but the guy needs to get into a faster team pronto. On a similar note, I wonder what Latifi's standing is within the team at this point.

Last edited:
So you're literally suggesting he should have completely stopped. In the middle of a race. With drivers behind him? Well yeah when you put it like that, a lot of accidents are avoidable but no racing driver does that. It's just as unsafe with other cars coming in behind you. You're supposed to slow down and do your best to avoid the accident, which he did.

I can believe him trashing them because he's now free to do so. These things are usually decided long before being made public.

Any chance of Oscar Piastri talking Ticktum's spot as a Williams developer driver? Yeah, Piastri is under the Alpine umbrella but there's currently no clear path to F1 if he manages to win the F2 Championship this year, with Alonso and Ocon both under contract. He'd fill the (potentially) vacant George Russell seat quite nicely.

I keep coming across this take from Jaques Villeneuve that Stroll and Bottas are going to swap seats and I couldn't think of a worse outcome for that second Merc seat.

Back