Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 131,143 comments
new IoM TT track is beautiful but needs a lot of work on the surroundings and on the road mesh
But the REAL problem of this track is:
invisible walls everywhere!
It seems like playing sega rally coinop :P

new IoM TT track is beautiful but needs a lot of work on the surroundings and on the road mesh
But the REAL problem of this track is:
invisible walls everywhere!
It seems like playing sega rally coinop :P

What is a road mesh? Can you explain what that does?

Also, how would you compare the graphics of this one to Rainmaker's version? And Jim Pearson's GPL version?

SIM TRAXX is a very good modding group. The only problem I have with them is they have 100 projects going at once and not one of them is "finished". Now, I don't mind if they want to work on their tracks for the rest of time, meaning they'll never be finished, but all bugs, graphical abnormalities, invisible walls, etc. should be gone from at least a couple of projects by now. It feels like they'll never get out of Beta - GMail anyone? :D

There are a couple of SIM TRAXX tracks that I absolutely love. If you don't have TOR POZNAŃ, TRANSFAGARASAN & PEYRE I suggest you download them immediately. Tor Poznan is actually laser scanned. Peyre scares the crap out of me and Transfagarasan is simply awesome.

Wow. I just visited their website - looks like they've added a good 5 or 6 new tracks to the list - none of them ready for Public release, of course. :boggled: I really should just toss them $20 for full access to all of their most recent builds and such...Even though I don't believe their quality is as good as some track builders, they still have provided me with countless hours of enjoyment and $20 is a fair deal.

The Road Mesh.... Okay, you know how video games 3D graphics are made up of polygons/triangles? The more polygons that have to be drawn/rendered, the slower the sim will run unless you have very beefy hardware. So, track/car modders need to keep their poly count as low as they can without sacrificing quality. It's a tricky balancing act for beginners. Well, you know what the roads look like when you're driving on them in Assetto Corsa. Let's just use Spa-Francorchamps for this example. The road isn't perfectly smooth. All tracks have little bumps or depressions here or there. Some tracks have some scary bumps in certain parts. Well, the only way to properly make those surface blemishes is to use a lot of polygons which we know will sacrifice rendering performance. So, what modders do is, they make 2 different meshes for the track surface. One is the mesh that you're going to see when you're driving on the track. The second mesh is going to be a much higher resolution (more polys) mesh that isn't visible, but it's what the car is actually driving on. Make sense? This is all a very basic description, but for the most part that's what it is.

That's what caused all that drama with Rainmaker's tracks. First, he wasn't asking the builders permission to transfer a rFactor 2 map, for example, to Assetto Corsa and that's a big no-no in the modding community. Secondly, Rainmaker refused to make a 2nd road mesh underneath the graphical road mesh...so all of his tracks looked okay, but they were kind of crappy to drive on. Dozens of people would say to him, "Dude! If you're taking the time to convert all of these tracks...Can't you spend 90 minutes making a higher resolution surface mesh?!" He would refuse. For what reason, I don't know. It kept going back and forth like that for a while until Rainmaker finally picked up his ball and went home, promising he would never play with the kids on the AC Forums playground ever again. :lol: This was all going down right when I first bought AC in 2015, so forgive me if some of my details are a little blurry...but that's the jist of it - I think.

I own AC but have only played around with it on and off couple times. Up until now I've been completely oblivious to the amount of quality modded tracks this game has.

There is a group of modders for AC who's website I've been browsing called Sim Traxx. I'm looking through their modded tracks and all I can say is WOW!!!! Their tracks look beautiful(IMO)!!!! While other modders' tracks look OK, Sim Traxx' tracks look outstanding. I don't know how they've pulled it off, but they've managed to mimic that photorealistic "digitzed" look similar to Grand Prix Legends that I love so much, but with higher detail. Their version of Targa Florio looks absolutely stunning, I have to say Sim Traxx' tracks makes it really hard to wait til my new PC rig is built. I'm dying to drive their tracks in VR! What are you guys' thoughts on Sim Traxx?

Screenshot_ferrari_312t_simtraxx_trieste_0.7_20-6-116-22-20-34.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_s1_simtraxx_sorica_0.75_25-7-116-19-33-40.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_s1_simtraxx_pikes_peak_0.86_25-7-116-19-28-37.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_simtraxx_hondarribia_0.8_11-5-116-23-6-41.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_simtraxx_puy_0.9_27-7-116-2-13-57.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_simtraxx_haguenau_0.9_21-4-117-2-44-18.jpg

Screenshot_lotus_exige_s_roadster_simtraxx_monte_erice_0.85_2-10-116-4-17-25.jpg

Screenshot_ast_spark_renault_srt01_e_hk_6-4-116-4-14-9.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_simtraxx_drazgose_0.7_2-8-116-1-22-20.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_simtraxx_drazgose_0.7_2-8-116-1-31-4.jpg

So is Targa Florio actually released now?

SIM TRAXX is a very good modding group. The only problem I have with them is they have 100 projects going at once and not one of them is "finished". Now, I don't mind if they want to work on their tracks for the rest of time, meaning they'll never be finished, but all bugs, graphical abnormalities, invisible walls, etc. should be gone from at least a couple of projects by now. It feels like they'll never get out of Beta - GMail anyone? :D

There are a couple of SIM TRAXX tracks that I absolutely love. If you don't have TOR POZNAŃ, TRANSFAGARASAN & PEYRE I suggest you download them immediately. Tor Poznan is actually laser scanned. Peyre scares the crap out of me and Transfagarasan is simply awesome.

Wow. I just visited their website - looks like they've added a good 5 or 6 new tracks to the list - none of them ready for Public release, of course. :boggled: I really should just toss them $20 for full access to all of their most recent builds and such...Even though I don't believe their quality is as good as some track builders, they still have provided me with countless hours of enjoyment and $20 is a fair deal.

The Road Mesh.... Okay, you know how video games 3D graphics are made up of polygons/triangles? The more polygons that have to be drawn/rendered, the slower the sim will run unless you have very beefy hardware. So, track/car modders need to keep their poly count as low as they can without sacrificing quality. It's a tricky balancing act for beginners. Well, you know what the roads look like when you're driving on them in Assetto Corsa. Let's just use Spa-Francorchamps for this example. The road isn't perfectly smooth. All tracks have little bumps or depressions here or there. Some tracks have some scary bumps in certain parts. Well, the only way to properly make those surface blemishes is to use a lot of polygons which we know will sacrifice rendering performance. So, what modders do is, they make 2 different meshes for the track surface. One is the mesh that you're going to see when you're driving on the track. The second mesh is going to be a much higher resolution (more polys) mesh that isn't visible, but it's what the car is actually driving on. Make sense? This is all a very basic description, but for the most part that's what it is.

That's what caused all that drama with Rainmaker's tracks. First, he wasn't asking the builders permission to transfer a rFactor 2 map, for example, to Assetto Corsa and that's a big no-no in the modding community. Secondly, Rainmaker refused to make a 2nd road mesh underneath the graphical road mesh...so all of his tracks looked okay, but they were kind of crappy to drive on. Dozens of people would say to him, "Dude! If you're taking the time to convert all of these tracks...Can't you spend 90 minutes making a higher resolution surface mesh?!" He would refuse. For what reason, I don't know. It kept going back and forth like that for a while until Rainmaker finally picked up his ball and went home, promising he would never play with the kids on the AC Forums playground ever again. :lol: This was all going down right when I first bought AC in 2015, so forgive me if some of my details are a little blurry...but that's the jist of it - I think.

Wow very informative and fascinating post ALB123. Thanks for the explanation. :)

So is Targa Florio actually released now?

According to what I've seen, you can get v0.9 which is supposed to be a near finished version, once you donate. I plan on donating once I get my PC rig built. I *REALLY* want to drive it in VR!!

I'm also quite surprised they haven't done a version of Dundrod yet. That's my favorie track from GPL:

I have an older version of Targa Florio somewhere - it's such a rough, early version...I've never even completed a single lap due to the numerous issues. Hopefully SIM TRAXX will get that Targa Florio released within the next few months. Although, I might just donate...I've donated to almost ever other modder.

I was tearing around Donington Park GP 1938 this morning in the exquisite Ferrari 330 P4 when a thought I had made me chuckle. When you go back 50, 60 or 70 years ago these race tracks were nothing too spectacular in terms of road surface and such. They also let the fans practically line the race track watching cars zip by at 120+ mph and lord knows the technology & safety of the cars back then were awful. I'm surprised there wasn't a lot more deaths each race weekend..

Rather stupidly I moved AC from my SSD to my HDD to make room for pCARS 2 (since refunded) and in the process all of my sound mods have been removed. All of my go-to cars are now completely silent. I'm guessing this is due to Steam validating the game files during the move?

Is there any quick way to get these back or must I download them all again and reapply them?

Don't know how legal this is, but for those wanting GTA experience with proper physics, there is now Vice City in Assetto Corsa :D

San Andreas also available :D

Wonder when they will convert GTA V's map? :P

Rather stupidly I moved AC from my SSD to my HDD to make room for pCARS 2 (since refunded) and in the process all of my sound mods have been removed. All of my go-to cars are now completely silent. I'm guessing this is due to Steam validating the game files during the move?

Is there any quick way to get these back or must I download them all again and reapply them?
Panic over. I still had the Fonsecker sound packs and did the bulk drag 'n' drop method which I've always been nervous of before. Only took a couple of minutes and worked like a charm. Phew.

I spent a couple of hours driving Semetin last night. It's a Sim Traxx road available here: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/semetin-czech-republic.10782/ the track overview map isn't set properly yet, so you've got to make some quick decisions when the road splits. Otherwise you'll just run into a dead-end eventually and have to turn around. I was driving it exclusively with the Acura NSX. What a blast! My arms are sore. :lol: When you hit 100mph on some of those stretches of road, you feel like you're about to launch into warp... :lol:

I only have about the first 1/3 or maybe first 1/2 of the road memorized. It's a lot of fun -- it's forgiving too. The developers didn't make all the trees solid, so you don't total your car every single time you make a mistake. Which was much needed for me. :D

I'm going to give Targa Florio a spin later on. That thing is so long. That's what she said! :eek: Schwing!! :P

Been driving quite a bit on the Zolder (reboot) track the last week, using mainly GT3 cars. Damn, that track is fun! Bit of a chicane fest really, but I love it.

It hangs, then I get uncloseable pop-ups telling me to install browser extensions. WTF is this crap? Why don't they upload to RD? Because they are rips? I'd advise against clicking that link unless your virus protection is bang up to date.
Click Free Download -> Close the pop-ups -> Download File.
Markos doesn't work free. And it's okay. I use Adblock Plus and AVG, but I still see pop-ups.

I can't wait to try some of these mods! My 1080Ti cant come soon enough!!! Semetin looks like a blast but the track I really really really really R--E--A--L--L--Y want to try out is Shuto Expressway C1. Been watching vids of this on YT and it looks absolutely BONKERZ!!!!!!!!!!

Have any of you tried this mod?

I can't wait to try some of these mods! My 1080Ti cant come soon enough!!! Semetin looks like a blast but the track I really really really really R--E--A--L--L--Y want to try out is Shuto Expressway C1. Been watching vids of this on YT and it looks absolutely BONKERZ!!!!!!!!!!

I have the C1 day variant and it's really Nice Never tried the night variant though

Yes. I have the Shuto Expressway C1 - both day and night. There are a couple of other highway sections that fit together with C1 but that complete mod track hasn't reached it's way over to the places I visit. The Japanese modding community seems to be keeping it for themselves at the moment. I'm sure it will leak at some point. It's huge and looks awesome if you're into that open world type of driving. I have one of those additional sections, but it's not connected with C1.

I ran a few laps around the full Targa Florio 72km loop (v0.9 closed testing sim traxx). That thing is ridiculously long. There is only one long straightaway section. My laps were in the Mclaren F1 GTR. Besides the long straight near the end of the lap, I believe I only got higher than 3rd gear about a dozen or so times. I could see some really good races on that road with real humans who are equally skilled.

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back