Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 129,766 comments
Got a lot done on Autopolis LAKESIDE tonight. All object collision added, proper kerbies. made new textures and road textures, start, pit, and hotlap dummies, working pit lanes, etc. Extended the configuration for grassfx on missing areas around lakeside. Had to separate some of the roadside objects because it was using the road texture I made with the side lines and it was candy striping them. All good now. then lastly added AI lines for now. But I'm not exactly sure where to put the timing dummies. I put the start/finish dummies pretty much where it was in NFS, but not sure about the timing dummies. I've raced around quite a bit on what I've done so far and it's funnnn.

Anyone want to put marks on my screenshot to give me a suggestion as to where I should put them (the timing dummies). I'd like to match the NFS version if possible, or is there some length calculation I should be using? Any help appreciated.

EDIT: ok. I figured out the timing locations. More later.

Screenshot_legion_corvette_c6r_ted_autopolis_lakeside_31-7-120-20-40-18.jpg

Last edited:
From 2000 through 2001, the Vette did use those BBS-rims, you see in the GranTurismo shot... In 2002 they started using the OZ-rims the car in the AC-screenshot it fitted with.
The rim ons the Viper is also an older-style split-rim... - in reality the Viper used the same BBS-rims as the Vette - in 2000.

@jaqory I have made a few skins from those years, if you're interested...

GRAB_1187.JPG

GRAB_1188.JPG

http://www.lemansdecals.com/tienda/2106-thickbox_default/corvette-c5r-le-mans-2000-n63.jpg

Wait you had that skin the whole time? And yes i am interested. Like the BBS Wheels on those.

Last edited:
Not gonna read your bio, have more bio ;)
Just reading about stflow stuff...I remember x4 said, he made it redundant, but i did ignore that, because there are also people using tracks without having CustomShaderPatch...so i a track maker can choose to use that for more fancy stuff without CSP.
it is your choice

Guys, thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of getting the Rift S as some have suggested. It's just the cheapest route for me at the moment. Ok, now which one of yous guys is selling one cheap? ;)
What I always suggest people before buying an hmd is to try it first, especially the ones (like the Rift S) that have no IPD (inter pupillar distance) adjustment.

no ipd adjustment means if the distance between your eyes is outside the medium range (66 millimeters for most hmds), it will be a frustrating experience and you'll be selling your hmd in no time.

What I always suggest people before buying an hmd is to try it first, especially the ones (like the Rift S) that have no IPD (inter pupillar distance) adjustment.

no ipd adjustment means if the distance between your eyes is outside the medium range (66 millimeters for most hmds), it will be a frustrating experience and you'll be selling your hmd in no time.

Thanks Blamer. Good advice. I wonder if they sell the Rift S somewhere where I can try it out...

Lakeside progress is ... progress :) This was a better project for me for learning. My scratch made tracks are going to benefit from my experience on this. Just learning better workflow and features I did not know exist. I've gotta look up Tyron's posts about dynamic billboards. There are many on this track that I want to set up with motion billboards.

So far...
Screenshot_legion_corvette_c6r_ted_autopolis_lakeside_1-8-120-1-39-56.jpg

Lakeside progress is ... progress :) This was a better project for me for learning. My scratch made tracks are going to benefit from my experience on this. Just learning better workflow and features I did not know exist. I've gotta look up Tyron's posts about dynamic billboards. There are many on this track that I want to set up with motion billboards.

So far...
View attachment 954373
what software are you using to open existing tracks?

it's a Chopard from the dial layout

tenor.gif

Nope. Thank you for your guess. 👍

As I posted, 'the watch brand on the driver's suite'. It is a vectorized watch for GT Sport.
Nothing to do with your law and legal reasons. :odd:;)

Thank you for your explanation, but I do really imagine that maybe 70% of men, knows that. :cool:

Dear lads, this very post have a nice tip to see the watch brand. :sly:

Thanks Blamer. Good advice. I wonder if they sell the Rift S somewhere where I can try it out...
ya IPD is super strange, the difference of 2mm took my wife from nausea to enjoying the vive. Its not something i ever thought to adjust, nor do i bother adjusting it after she or the kids use it and i dont suffer at all, but, for sure in her case, bad IPD causes instant discomfort. fwiw I only ever use my vr now for half life Alyx, the only game on VR I can say rivals pc grphics and fluidity.

While i do love it for racing, the sacrifices in graphic quality and resolution are jsut too high, no matter hwo high i set the supersampling in steam, even 2X (best i can manage on my 2080ti) the fact is in the centre of my vision that car up ahead is still just a batch of 12 pixels no matter how hard supersampling tried. Once HMDs get to 8K+ then I will enjoy it more, everyone forgets those pixels are an inch from your eyes, very noticaeble.

(fwiw the BEST game for racing VR is AMS2!)

Last edited:
3DSimEd and Blender 2.8. My scratch tracks I usually start out with RTB and then bring into Blender. What are you using?
So far never editted a track, only tried my first scratch made one so far using RTB RaceTrackBuilder.
I looked at simed3d, but, from rf2 forums I read its hard because its trying to build tracks for dx11 games but its stuck on a dx9 engine so you cannot actually see what you will actually see in terms of shaders etc. Maybe I made that an important thing in my brain when in fact it is not. Might grab a copy of 3dsimed and give it a go. Can it do actual editting, import obj's move parts around, cut tracks etc, or its more like kunos editor, just lets you change textures etc?

ya IPD is super strange, the difference of 2mm took my wife from nausea to enjoying the vive. Its not something i ever thought to adjust, nor do i bother adjusting it after she or the kids use it and i dont suffer at all, but, for sure in her case, bad IPD causes instant discomfort. fwiw I only ever use my vr now for half life Alyx, the only game on VR I can say rivals pc grphics and fluidity.

While i do love it for racing, the sacrifices in graphic quality and resolution are jsut too high, no matter hwo high i set the supersampling in steam, even 2X (best i can manage on my 2080ti) the fact is in the centre of my vision that car up ahead is still just a batch of 12 pixels no matter how hard supersampling tried. Once HMDs get to 8K+ then I will enjoy it more, everyone forgets those pixels are an inch from your eyes, very noticaeble.

oh man. That might be a deal breaker for me and I'm only running a 1080 GTX. I can't stand jaggies. I'll still try one out though.

So far never editted a track, only tried my first scratch made one so far using RTB RaceTrackBuilder.
I looked at simed3d, but, from rf2 forums I read its hard because its trying to build tracks for dx11 games but its stuck on a dx9 engine so you cannot actually see what you will actually see in terms of shaders etc. Maybe I made that an important thing in my brain when in fact it is not. Might grab a copy of 3dsimed and give it a go. Can it do actual editting, import obj's move parts around, cut tracks etc, or its more like kunos editor, just lets you change textures etc?

3DSimED is funky. You can do a whole lot with it, but you need to learn the tricky ways to do what normally would be, for instance, a click and drag to move. You have to do that differently than you would intuitively think of doing it. I'm getting used to it. The more I use it, of course, the more I become more comfortable with its quirks. As funky as it is, I think you'd like it. It sounds like you're really getting into the track editing/making thing, and I think you would benefit from having 3DSimEd. You just have to look stuff up when you're working with it because it will make you say wtf a lot. But it's fun tackling the roadblocks. Rock on, brah.

No bothering to adjust IPD then complains about IQ?
Seriously?

@masscot, are you using Vive or Oculus?

@TheRealCeeBee, by the way, one of my younger sons usually does my trackside object models for me in Blender and I use Xpacker to bring them into RTB. It's pretty cool and fairly easy to bring in your own models into the editor. RTB has really improved over the years and kind of blows me away sometimes.

I started my VR experience only because of AC, an Oculus DK2 with a GTX 970.
THAT was pixelated! A CV1 with a 1070 and now a Quest+Link with a 2070 Super look amazing. But even when I had the blurry DK2 I would have never, never, ever gone back to the triple screens I was using before. The immersion an hmd gives you is way more plesuaring to me and feels more like driving 'the real thing'

Hey all, was wondering if anyone would be interested in making a real Jaguar Project 8?

There is one on assetto land but apparently it's a rally version and only has 185hp and 130nm?
The model itself looks quite alright and interiour isn't too bad. I already did some minor edits as far as my recently acquired skills go but I would love to see a propperly done version since I absolutely love this car!

I changed the livery and shader so it has a paint colour instead of a livery
View attachment 954248

And I photoshopped the speedometer so the when the lights are on they look a lot better. Also reduced the brightness of the speedometer lights.
View attachment 954247

I don't really drive it but I just couldn't delete this car. I've loved it since I saw it for the first time on The Grand Tour. I hope some of you agree with me! :)

Cheers

This Jaguar is able to do 265 km/h. I dont think that would be possible with just 185hp.

upload_2020-9-1_8-48-55.png

@masscot, are you using Vive or Oculus?
Oculus Rift CV1 with a 980ti/6600k stock combo (recently upgraded to 1080ti/7700k) which I have been using since it launched. So one of the lowest-resolution HMDs, yet I can still see the clocks on the dashboards of cars alongside me. Weird huh? Must have a broken Rift that somehow quadruples the resolution. ;)
You'll hear a lot of different opinions about VR with the biggest debate being about the image resolution compared to a monitor. To some people, this is important. To others (like me) it is so inconsequential in the overall immersion of the experience that it isn't even worth discussing. In fact I strongly believe that flat screen and VR sim racing often shouldn't even be discussed in the same breath as the experiences are so fundamentally different to each other in so many ways.
I find it incomprehensible that some people try sim racing in VR then go back to 2D screens, or flip casually beteen the two. Those people probably find it incomprehensibe that I can only race exclusively in VR now. Sim racing is my main hobby and I'm pretty much obsessed with it, but if I could no longer race in VR and had to go back to 2D I'd sell all my gear immediately and take up pottery or something else.

Re IPD in the Rift S, measure your IPD with a ruler and a mirror (or get someone to measure it for you) and see if it falls within an HMDs range. You might even have your IPD on your last glasses prescription if you wear them. IPD calibration is incredibly important to focus and sharpen the image so please don't listen to comments to the contrary.

Project 8 is the fastest Jaguar saloon ever. Its 5.0 litre supercharged V8 produces 600PS and 700Nm of torque, making it the most powerful engine ever fitted to a Jaguar road car. Maximum speed is 200mph and 0-60mph takes just 3.3 seconds. While the car’s 8-speed transmission can manually paddle shift in just 0.2 seconds.

https://www.motor1.com/news/269111/jaguar-xe-project-8-dyno/
On paper signed and notarized by Jaguar, the XE Project 8 produces 592 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque from its supercharged 5.0-liter engine. When the British automaker introduced the car a year ago, it was the most powerful Jaguar road car ever. While that’s an impressive horsepower and torque figure, what automaker’s claim a car produces and what a car produces can be two different numbers. Automakers often under report a vehicle’s real output.

The dyno run shows the Jag producing 601 hp and 506 lb-ft of torque.
According to the dyno software, that translates to 485 hp at the wheels. It's a fair bit of power loss, but it's in line with a vehicle making supercharged power and sending it through an automatic gearbox and all-wheel-drive system.

Should be very easy to do a dyno plot for a power.lut and engine.ini
Project-8-Dyno3.jpg

601.6/hp @ 6515rpm
506.6/ftLb @ 4310rpm (686.8Nm)

Dyno shows a 19% drivetrain loss
Assetto automagically uses 13% loss and calculated for Wheel/HP in power.lut

power.lut numbers for 13% loss:
523hp@6515rpm
598Nm@4310rpm

power.lut numbers for 19% loss:
487hp@6515rpm
556Nm@4310rpm

there ya go...

BTW: 190hp is good for at least 225kph, as I did this in my 1996 BMW E36 M-sport one midsummer eve but backed off before maxV. (I hit 210kph on the Autobahn in a 2019 Audi A3 3.2tsfi, but it had a little more to go)
68937063_10220298485522982_7664901058526707712_o.jpg

Last edited:
VR talk: @ teddie and co

Tbh if you're towards the limit in either direction on the Oculus Rift S IPD scale then I would wait and see until it's successor addresses that, as otherwise there is a risk of headaches and eye strain.

Windows mixed reality headsets are okay but a few of them have the same fixed IPD problem so watch out what you're buying. The VR headsets which have a fixed physical IPD come with a software offering that resizes the image for you - doesn't work properly imo - you need a "physical" way to adjust IPD imo.

I'd sit tight for what Oculus brings out next as love then or hate them, their VR headsets give the smoothest performance thanks to their ASW etc...stuff. Steam vr, on my last go, can't quite seem to match the same level of smoothness compared to Oculus software imo. However, saying that, if the new Oculus doesn't bump up the refresh rate back up to 90hz again then some peeps won't be liking that - some people are more sensitive to the drop to 80hz (80fps) the Oculus Rift S did compared to 90+ on others VR Headsets.

Owned Vive 1, MS Lenovo WMR, Oculus Rift 1, Oculus Rift S - all in my IMO and experience with VR sim racing. :)

Sorry if off topic a little...

No bothering to adjust IPD then complains about IQ?
Seriously?
never said I never adjusted it, back when i first bought it I of course chased every setting that could be had for a better experience, including those ipd kits off the web etc, just that IPD has nothing to do with clarity (unless you set it out bizarrely), its to adjust stereo vision or your perception of depth correctly in the headset. at the relatively small changes required to be made from my setting to other people I notice no difference.
The issue was more of I can acutely see the actual red blue and green pixels the picture is made up from, resolution just plain sucks on the vive.
Pimax I demo'd was marginally better, but, it needs to get to around that 8K res in screen to sell the same "resolution" as sitting 50cm away from the triples.. we are some way away from that yet, much less graphics cards that could drive it.

The vive 1 has lower pixel density even though it has the same resolution as the Oculus Rift 1 due to the screen being taller - makes it a bit more immersive though but then the resolution is more noticeable and grid looking. Can't remember for sure tbh - but I think what I'm saying is rightish...

Sorry won't talk VR again on this thread and for going off topic again

never said I never adjusted it, back when i first bought it I of course chased every setting that could be had for a better experience, including those ipd kits off the web etc, just that IPD has nothing to do with clarity (unless you set it out bizarrely), its to adjust stereo vision or your perception of depth correctly in the headset. at the relatively small changes required to be made from my setting to other people I notice no difference.
The issue was more of I can acutely see the actual red blue and green pixels the picture is made up from, resolution just plain sucks on the vive.
Pimax I demo'd was marginally better, but, it needs to get to around that 8K res in screen to sell the same "resolution" as sitting 50cm away from the triples.. we are some way away from that yet, much less graphics cards that could drive it.
IPD is important for clarity. One of the Oculus setup exercises involves adjusting IPD until lines of a cross converge properly and are focused, and small adjustments can make a world of difference (to me they did, anyway).
Not suggesting your VR isn't set up properly as it sounds like you have put the necessary effort in but I do wonder sometimes how many people just slap the HMD on and expect VR to look great with no tweaking. The initial out-of-the-box experience with the Rift in AC was amazing from a 'wow... I'm actually IN this car...' perspective but the IQ was a shimmering, aliased, low res mess. After setting it up properly I find the IQ great. Of course my 4k display is better, but that is literally the only thing that IS better, and it's nowhere near enough to make me want to sacrifice the incredible immersion, stereoscopic vision, freedom of view, depth perception, sense of scale, placement of objects in 3D space, the overwhelming sense of being in the car, on the track, at the venue. Looking at a 2D screen with a static PoV with the rest of the room visible around the edges... man, it's kind of pathetic to me by comparison. I wouldn't want to use VR to play, say, H:ZD but for racing sims where immersion is key I can think of nothing better.

I am a long time VR user, had every oculus since dk1 and I am on the side of can't go back to a flat screen. Never ever, does nothing for me now.

That said I am always chasing better visuals and have upgraded everything to get it.
I am very interested in the the new hp reverb after watching a few videos but I am a bit hesitant as it's steam vr Vs oculus.
Question for anyone who uses it and also if they have used oculus, do I just select open vr in cm and it works just as well as the rift does?

IPD is important for clarity. One of the Oculus setup exercises involves adjusting IPD until lines of a cross converge properly and are focused, and small adjustments can make a world of difference (to me they did, anyway).
Not suggesting your VR isn't set up properly as it sounds like you have put the necessary effort in but I do wonder sometimes how many people just slap the HMD on and expect VR to look great with no tweaking. The initial out-of-the-box experience with the Rift in AC was amazing from a 'wow... I'm actually IN this car...' perspective but the IQ was a shimmering, aliased, low res mess. After setting it up properly I find the IQ great. Of course my 4k display is better, but that is literally the only thing that IS better, and it's nowhere near enough to make me want to sacrifice the incredible immersion, stereoscopic vision, freedom of view, depth perception, sense of scale, placement of objects in 3D space, the overwhelming sense of being in the car, on the track, at the venue. Looking at a 2D screen with a static PoV with the rest of the room visible around the edges... man, it's kind of pathetic to me by comparison. I wouldn't want to use VR to play, say, H:ZD but for racing sims where immersion is key I can think of nothing better.

on all those points you have no disagreement from me, and yes i do enjoy racing in it. but. I am a graphics snob. on my machine to get consistent 90fps on the vive at 150% SS in steam I have to use medium vr settings in ACC for example, and see trees pop up out of the ground 100m away from me, shadows as blocky as my mother laws soup, etc. Its in the too hard box for me. I did give it another crack since they released VRSS on the 20 series cards, it did improve "a bit" I think I said it before in another post, but, download and play Half-Life Alyx, a game purpose built for VR by the makers of steamvr. The difference a well designed game for VR can be is just insane. night and day from other stuff I play in VR.

Thread now officially derailed ;)

If you have the chance, try an HP Rever G1. I switched from Odyessey + to Reverb, that was a quantum leap. I drive a native resolution, with i9-9900K and 1080Ti. I can already see braking points from a great distance; if necessary, I look into the second curve when there are combinations of bends, and can read the instruments in the car.

The FPS are the same as with the Odyssey with 160% PPD.

And best of all, the successor, the G2, should be even better.

After about 10 years of triple screen, I can no longer drive it. No fun at all anymore.
I totally miss the opportunity to immerse myself in the VR world.

It sounds like you're really getting into the track editing/making thing, and I think you would benefit from having 3DSimEd.

turns out I did install it some time back, didnt remember because, well, it doesnt actually install, its just a folder. Anyhow my trial or something has run out so registered for the key.. 48hours apparently... time to hit YT and check a few tutorials.. does it have a forum/wiki?

edit: My quick google, simed3d tutorial, returned 3 different ways to crack it, but no tutorials at all..

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back