Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 129,779 comments
Pro tip #427

How to recover 2.5 Gigabytes of space from your AC install. (or 3 Gigabytes depending on your choice)

1. Navigate to assettocorsa\sdk\dev\skin_templates (these are skin templates for default content)
2. 7z or zip all the folders = 500mb archive
3. delete all the folders = 3 GB
4. profit!

If you archive, you save 2.5 gb of files you (likely) will never use.
If you do not archive, you will save 3GB of files you will never use.

note: running integrity check will replace all the files.
thanks, didn't know these were there , could come in handy when on a painting spree... but indeed prob never used for majority
(but in my case on a 1.5 TB totam folder size for assettocorsa, I don't think these 3 GB will matter much! :lol:)

Fixed wipers for the bluebird: https://www.mediafire.com/file/zx1uddx7nf0que4/atcc_nissan_bluebird_910_grpc.ini/file

Now I need to figure out what should be displayed on the digital display and which font to use...
View attachment 1153060
hi, sorry for the ignorance, but where does this ini file go ? thx!

ps: if someone can give the Nissan R390 (posted by Legion 4 days ago) a consideration for a magical touch...
it lacks working wipers, and also display is badly readable, other then that a nice mod to drive imho, with good sound and not too easy to control)

Thanks for this, it's coming together nicely.
Here's a slightly reworked kn5. I exported and lightened the interior_lod0.png in PhotoShop and adjusted some individual values in CM to allow the vanta blacks to be lightened and to remove the awful smeared-with-vaseline shine on most of the cockpit materials, then converted it to a .dds.
I also fixed the alpha on the switchgear labels to remove their backgrounds.
Like you say, the analogue speedo scaling needs converting from km/h to miles/h to bring it in line with the digital display and to stop the needle heading off the dial at high speeds. Anyone able to do this?

hi Mascot, thanks for the update , I tried it and don't see any diff with this new kn5, for example on the gear shifter, it still shows exactly as before ... ?
1653306491345.png

and since the love for this car mod seems to be given more, I will hold off emailing Assettoland to update it , until we have a "final" version. :)
Indeed the analog speedo improvement suggestion is great , and I hope someone here will find the time and joy to do it.

Last edited:
hi, sorry for the ignorance, but where does this ini file go ? thx!

ps: if someone can give the Nissan R390 (posted by Legion 4 days ago) a consideration for a magical touch...
it lacks working wipers, and also display is badly readable, other then that a nice mod to drive imho, with good sound and not too easy to control)
Please have a look at my signature, there's a link to the README with installation instructions. The R390 wiper config should be ready for upload soon.

Edit: R390 wiper config: https://www.mediafire.com/file/lnz1btynzo419g1/legion_nissan_r390.ini/file

@jac0 here's a digital_instruments.ini (goes into the data folder, make backup first) to make the numbers on the dash a bit darker:

Attachments

• digital_instruments.ini
    1.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Please have a look at my signature, there's a link to the README with installation instructions. The R390 wiper config should be ready for upload soon.
oops, i'll go ahead and blame it on the small font size ... ;) thanks again and have a great day!

EDIT: I tried it like it says in the readme file you provide via signature, at first it did't work...
I included it in ext_config.ini , but I had put the include in the beginning of the file.
Since there is already wiper anim settings in there , the include had to be put at the very end of the file... ( your instructions do not say that, best to include that :) ) :cheers:

Last edited:
Lam
Otherwise you can have a go at this one, from THR server:

OK, I noticed ths version will overwrite the 'historic' (1991) midohioch from (iirc) Virtua_LM, with updates from TaistoTurri, ai from @KevinK2 and grassFX / rainFX / basic night lights / reworked trees and some other stuff by @slider666.
The road feel (which is afaik the same as in the original bumpy NAGP version) is the same in both versions, but the 'fixed' one obviously looks a lot better.
Do you want the NAGP version again? I can upload it later if so.
If I remember rightly, the original T21 version was too bumpy and LilSki made it more 'tolerable' for the NAGP version. However, it sounds like Zwiss based his on the NAGP version (smoothing the mesh was the only change that LilSki made), so would naturally be an improvement.
I have now 4 versions installed to try:
  • the historic midohioch with the fixes I mentioned above (also tried the THR with the same name)
  • nagp_mid_ohio (Terra21, nagp smoothed / fixed by Assetto-fr.tk v1.1)
  • d7fox_mid_ohio (Delta7Fox - NAGP v1.1)
  • zw_midohio (which I described earlier).

I can't find the NAGP with the original bumpy road though. I remember having replaced it with Zwiss version because it was better looking. Road feel wise I never had issues with the bumpy NAGP (I'm using a Simucube direct drive wheel and always have 'Real Head Motion' active to keep the horizon stable...

It is the @Zwiss version that is imo the one to keep, the two previous ones both have LOD issues (the tower is popping in at a certain distance and trees don't look as good.

oops, i'll go ahead and blame it on the small font size ... ;) thanks again and have a great day!

EDIT: I tried it like it says in the readme file you provide via signature, nut first did't work...
putting the ini file in the mod extension folder , and include it in ext_config.ini , but I had put the include in the beginning of the file.
Since there is already wiper anim settings in there , the include had to be put at the very end of the file... ( your instructions do not say that, best to include that :) ) :cheers:
You're right, sorry... this one is different than the other mods since it already had an incomplete config in the main ini.

Just replace lines 65-98 with this:
INI:
[INCLUDE: ext_config.wipers.ini]

1653308942135.png

Last edited:
Fixed wipers for the bluebird: https://www.mediafire.com/file/zx1uddx7nf0que4/atcc_nissan_bluebird_910_grpc.ini/file

Now I need to figure out what should be displayed on the digital display and which font to use...
View attachment 1153060
I'd suggest going with something more oldschool (to fit the age of this equipment)
some kind a old alarm clock style font like this:
1653308784162.png

as to what to display, for sure GEAR, SPEED , then maybe prev laptime and curernt difference (always nice to see if you are improving)

but others might argue better to put stuff that are realistic for that timeperiod :)
ps: I thought you deleted this mod, and didn't think it was worth the time ? (i gave this one initially 3 stars, so I kinda agreed with you there... ) ;)

992 gt3 cup , Available for free on patreon Guerilla

So first of all: thank you for sharing! Model looks great and the tyre model appears to be quite a step, really good FFB as well. And finally someone has got the dashboard right and I can see the shift lights :D

Some observations:
  • Shift lights get too dark at night (tested on latest Sol and Pure)
  • Interior sound is too clean and tame for my taste - exterior is briliant
  • While physics feel pretty good as a whole, I think the rear is a bit too tame for a Cup, even with TCR off, especially on cold tyres. The URD in comparision is way too nervous - the ACC car feels correct
Keep 'em coming!

You're right, sorry... this one is different than the other mods since it already had an incomplete config in the main ini.

Just replace lines 65-98 with this:
INI:
[INCLUDE: ext_config.wipers.ini]

View attachment 1153129
no worries, it works just fine once i had put the include in the very end ...
I guess it reads chronologically, and so the settings read in last overrule the ones found earlier on when AC is reading through the ini files. (to be absolute sure i'd have to try what you suggested just now and see if that makes any more difference, but since i will not be driving this mod anyways , and the wipers behave normal already ... I'm just gonna believe that to be true for now)

Ok, so overnight, all of my .material presets have mysteriously vanished, I checked the Recycle Bin, they're not there, any ideas where they might be? It was 75+ files, pretty annoying if I had to go back and save them again...
1653310244665.png

@Kniker97
Nice work on Silverstone. 👍

A little something on International layout (noticed it while correcting the non matching sections files - will post them when finished):

ai takes the left-right-left route in Ireland section, which is in fact the International Motorbike layout. It also possible to go straight (cutting the corners) without penalty or void lap time.
So it's a bit confusing as it is.
Could be solved:
1- by placing some cones and make the straight invalid but then it's still the Motorbike layout (needs name change in the ui then), or:
2- let ai drive straight, put the cones at the start of the left corner split and make that part invalid. Then it will be the International layout for cars.

See the difference here:
Left = International Motorbike --- Right = International (car)

motor.png
car.png

Last edited:
I'd suggest going with something more oldschool (to fit the age of this equipment)
some kind a old alarm clock style font like this:
View attachment 1153128

as to what to display, for sure GEAR, SPEED , then maybe prev laptime and curernt difference (always nice to see if you are improving)

but others might argue better to put stuff that are realistic for that timeperiod :)
ps: I thought you deleted this mod, and didn't think it was worth the time ? (i gave this one initially 3 stars, so I kinda agreed with you there... ) ;)
I'm using the same fonts (led_big) as the R390 uses for now.
First row: RPM / GEAR / SPEED
Second row: FUEL / WATER TEMP
1653311894343.png

Looking at some onboard footage, the real car seems to have a different display anyway.
1653311195980.png 1653311245896.png

Last edited:
I exported and lightened the interior_lod0.png in PhotoShop and adjusted some individual values in CM to allow the vanta blacks to be lightened and to remove the awful smeared-with-vaseline shine on most of the cockpit materials, then converted it to a .dds.
Like you say, the analogue speedo scaling needs converting from km/h to miles/h to bring it in line with the digital display and to stop the needle heading off the dial at high speeds. Anyone able to do this?
Vanta black you say... that brings back some memories of the BMW X6 exhibition on the IAA in Frankfurt back in 2019 - which was quite underwhelming to say the least. Just going through my photos as I realize that I didn't even bother to take a photo of it...

IMG_7739.jpgIMG_7796.jpg

I just tested the Mini Cooper Cup UK by Bonkers Designs which also uses a mph scale that is set up correctly. This one has no working wipers and could also use some data on the dash just like the Clubman...
1653318596382.png Screenshot_mini_cooper_cup_ks_drag_23-4-122-17-8-10.jpg

CSP wipers and some shader fixes (windows only) for the Mini Cooper Cup UK: https://www.mediafire.com/file/jx3uvrllwmgyu47/mini_cooper_cup.ini/file (installation instructions are linked in my signature)
Note: Front side windows and rear window have no internal window mesh to show rain drops on them, strangely the rear side window does...

Mod download: https://mega.nz/file/1VEhGQiI#jLbxXiCdOET_3gS_GUGG8yPuGzb82tSNHCVnIYZWpUg

Last edited:
I wonder if getting permission from GUERILLA team we could manage to implement their tyre and suspension models with temperature physics for other AC cars as well or better yet as a global feature throughout the entirety of it affecting any kind of car instead of each one, would further evolve AC into new heights of realism to rival other simracers such as rFactor with a similar tyre physics I presume.
tbf they're just using some csp features that are publicly available, so anyone can use them really lol

hi Mascot, thanks for the update , I tried it and don't see any diff with this new kn5, for example on the gear shifter, it still shows exactly as before ... ?
View attachment 1153126
and since the love for this car mod seems to be given more, I will hold off emailing Assettoland to update it , until we have a "final" version. :)
Indeed the analog speedo improvement suggestion is great , and I hope someone here will find the time and joy to do it.
Weird. It obviously didn't save properly.
Try this one.

Screenshot (17).png

Last edited:
Hi there!
Already discussed earlier in the thread, but which version of the Peugeot 905 is the most recent up-to-date and complete?
To my view (I am looking), the one that uses peugeot_905evo.kn5 is the best for body accuracy, mostly due to its treatment of the venturi tunnel. I don't have the definitive answer, but the 1/18 scale models I have for 92 and 93 both show the exhaust released through a hole in the side of the tunnel at the back, with a very clean bottom front to back. I have 2 different AC versions, one that shows the complete exhaust headers at the back, and one that shows a very clean diffuser, exhaust coming into the side of it.
(CORRECTION: There seems to be 2 versions of peugeot_905evo.kn5, so only way to tell is the exhaust.)

I released skins for the Esso 1,2,3 cars way back (on here somewhere) for the one with folder name "lmp2_peugeot_905evo". I had changed the damage map on that one cuz any contact on track turn it into a total write-off all over the car. I think I replaced the Exxon labeling with Esso...(only on my version so far). That one has the exhaust flame added by Mr Hunt (maybe?) and that one seems to be the best version so far. I also think the physics were better on this one.

I'm about to release a version of the skins that has the indicator lights on the windscreen (yellow1/red2/green3) after I do some other updating on all the textures. I will release it for the one with the correct exhaust (and for the other one too, since I did it first (Ha! Cosmic10r showed me the lights thanks).

Can anyone lay claim to the original 905 model? (WHo did the one on Assetto-db? ) Is it from Virtua LM rfactor1? Mr. Hunt, was it yours? Was it scratch or a conversion? Does anyone want to collaborate to make an ultimate version of this thang? I plan to do the 1991 body that can maybe be plunked onto the same chassis (although irl it was quite different).

There is also the front wing (by lorelord?) that I currently install alternatively with a skin. It would be nice if we could a have a front wing downforce change to go with the wing. I am seeking permission to include the wing with my skins too... (we'll need wsc skins instead of the Le Mans)

I volunteer to get this thing going, so anyone who has permission for anything that needs it, please contact me, or spill it here :) I absolutely love this car, and if I have to go to wings3d and build it from scratch, I will. Don't make me do that please :)

Good info here: https://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle...n8qo7NskopCzsbsvJOEzSVKsCJ98j9fHHhLXgSt--IxTY
and here: https://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/series.aspx?modelID=2266
and one version available on assettoDB.
(I went and looked at my rfactor1 archive... 905 wasn't in the Group C/only 1982) but Mr.Internet says VLM did one...)

Interior research!

(Spark beats Norev, all day long...)
20220523_085915.jpg18scale.jpg

Last edited:
I deleted the mod again after two laps. The wipers are borked and the textures are stretched in some places, but most importantly I didn‘t like how it drives. I’m not a huge turbo fan. I started to fix the wipers but then figured it was not worth it.
This actually has me wondering something, now that I'm back into mod-testing mode, and at the same time I'm figuring out how to drive fast on a wheel in the Kunos cars (so far: surprisingly competent!). What's the best way to tell if a mod has poorly optimized or unrealistic physics, rather than just being a difficult and stressful car to drive? I generally know enough about more well-known cars and their various handling properties to assume certain characteristics: a modern Lotus is practically on rails, a late '60s Trans Am Mustang will want to oversteer you into bad places, a Can-Am Porsche is basically a rocketship on '70s tires so good luck with that, and so on.

But how do you figure out the finer details and suss out whether a car just needs to be tuned versus whether it's actually that hard-to-handle in real life, and then compare that to the modder's version of the physics? I figure in some cases maybe I could try running a similar lap on the same track with a version of the car made for the game in Project CARS or Forza Motorsport 7, but opinions are so divided as to whether those titles even have a decent handling model that it might not even be a 1:1 experience in a best-case scenario anyhow. Is it just a matter of clocking the miles, getting a general sense of how things "should" feel across a wide array of cars? Do I have to dig into the mod's files to look for any unusually weird settings and parameters for suspension or torque curves? Should I read up on actual real-world drivers' impressions of the car, even if it means having to take the word of a nerves-of-steel repeat champion that an imposing-looking 600-horsepower track special feels "intuitive" to drive? Or should I wait to see if Jimmy Broadbent gets ahold of one and how long it takes for him to start panicking?

This actually has me wondering something, now that I'm back into mod-testing mode, and at the same time I'm figuring out how to drive fast on a wheel in the Kunos cars (so far: surprisingly competent!). What's the best way to tell if a mod has poorly optimized or unrealistic physics, rather than just being a difficult and stressful car to drive? I generally know enough about more well-known cars and their various handling properties to assume certain characteristics: a modern Lotus is practically on rails, a late '60s Trans Am Mustang will want to oversteer you into bad places, a Can-Am Porsche is basically a rocketship on '70s tires so good luck with that, and so on.

But how do you figure out the finer details and suss out whether a car just needs to be tuned versus whether it's actually that hard-to-handle in real life, and then compare that to the modder's version of the physics? I figure in some cases maybe I could try running a similar lap on the same track with a version of the car made for the game in Project CARS or Forza Motorsport 7, but opinions are so divided as to whether those titles even have a decent handling model that it might not even be a 1:1 experience in a best-case scenario anyhow. Is it just a matter of clocking the miles, getting a general sense of how things "should" feel across a wide array of cars? Do I have to dig into the mod's files to look for any unusually weird settings and parameters for suspension or torque curves? Should I read up on actual real-world drivers' impressions of the car, even if it means having to take the word of a nerves-of-steel repeat champion that an imposing-looking 600-horsepower track special feels "intuitive" to drive? Or should I wait to see if Jimmy Broadbent gets ahold of one and how long it takes for him to start panicking?
Now, I promise I will give you my honest opinion, so don't get angry, simply dismiss it as rubbish if you want to... but since you asked:
I think looking for "ultimate realism" in car sims is the wrong approach to enjoy one's past time activity, especially when you look at Assetto Corsa.
My advice? Pick something you would like to drive, something that's interesting to you personally. I for once like to look for (in)famous cars, for example James Dean's Porsche or Mad Max' Interceptor. One's a "real car"but completely thrashed, the other one isn't, who could tell me if the mod I found has "correct" physics?
Usually there several variants out there - try them all if you can, preferably on a track you know well. Which variant is the most fun to drive? Which one doesn't behave like you would expect it to? As you said, does the new mod drive like it's on rails even if you try your hardest to spin it?
The community is vast (which is good and bad), there are guys out there arguing with actual racing drivers because they allegedly read all the spread sheets and know the data.
There are people telling a modder that his Subaru sounds wrong although he modelled it after his real life car...

For me AC brings fun, not because it has the "most accurate physics engine ever created" but because I can drive the car Albert Camus died in. Morbid? sure but I am not looking for a real life experience here.

Last edited:
Is there a significant bottom-line difference between using .png vs .dds for skins? Visually, framerate, loading time etc...
.DDS is the standard for textures. PNG does not support alpha channels for example, so PNG is a limiting-solution and overall .dds performs better in terms of framerate and so on.

legion are working overtime at the moment - man I would love to see a nice skin on that charger...
What I like most about his-her-their mods is the first moment you look at it and go "This insane atrocity can't be real" but after looking the car up, you find out that most of them have actually been built.

Now, I promise I will give you my honest opinion, so don't get angry, simply dismiss it as rubbish if you want to... but since you asked:
I think looking for "ultimate realism" in car sims is the wrong approach to enjoy one's past time activity, especially when you look at Assetto Corsa.
My advice? Pick something you would like to drive, something that's interesting to you personally. I for once like to look for (in)famous cars, for example James Dean's Porsche or Mad Max' Interceptor. One's a "real car"but completely thrashed, the other one isn't, who could tell me if the mod I found has "correct" physics?
Usually there several variants out there - try them all if you can, preferably on a track you know well. Which variant is the most fun to drive? Which one doesn't behave like you would expect it to? As you said, does the new mod drive like it's on rails even if you try your hardest to spin it?
The community is vast (which is good and bad), there are guys out there arguing with actual racing drivers because they allegedly read all the spread sheets and know the data.
There are people telling a modder that his Subaru sounds wrong although he modelled it after his real life car...
This is a good point, actually. One of the reasons I love playing the Forza Horizon games so much is that while you can tell there's actual research and attention put into depicting how certain cars with certain tendencies should behave in the real world, the fact that it's still very forgiving and a bit stylized gives off the impression that, to someone who isn't a hardcore "everything must be 100% precise or else My Immersion is broken" type, this is how it feels for an extremely talented race driver to go all out. Even if the tire model or the suspension might not be at a level of detail to impress iRacing purists, there's still that vibe of being able to hit an apex, control a slide, and lay down burnouts in ways that feel like how most (gasp) "casuals" imagine these cars should actually do like they see on Top Gear or whatever. This might sound funny from someone who posted "where's my Realistic Race-Spec Hakosuka dammit" last week, but it's a learning process for me as I get deeper into this game I've only partially explored. Maybe AC's rep as a "real sim, not like Forza or GT" among some people obscured that for me, and the more I learn, the more I realize that's actually pretty limiting.

legion are working overtime at the moment - man I would love to see a nice skin on that charger...
What I like most about his-her-their mods is the first moment you look at it and go "This insane atrocity can't be real" but after looking the car up, you find out that most of them have actually been built.
"That wacky legion, slapping a big wing on a Hillman Imp and dropping a massive Ford engine inside, what kind of nut would get an idea like th--"

1653328029204.png

I guess a lot of questions can be answered with "because Australia"

Weird. It obviously didn't save properly.
Try this one.

yes, now i see huge difference, thx!

so now all that remains are the analog speedometer (needs to be made into KPH instead of MPH)

and maybe the shift animation needs to be improved (the hand does not move towards the shifter when time to shift, and the hand doest get to the right position)

Anyone?

ps:
I personally liked it better before , not having this shift animation at all , as i use paddles and so it's less immersive seeing my hand reach for the gearstick. But i can imagine most would preffer a shift anim on a car without paddles... but then that hand needs to move already when approaching the rpm where shifting is needed imho (that adds to functionality, as you have a good queue appart from the sound or looking at the rpm dial).

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back