Best Gr.3 Car ?

• Thread starter brandoncip
  • 209 comments
Well, i have 21 wins at the GT leaque TESL 1 hour endurance race and i've used 18 different Gr. 3 cars boosted close to 645hp as possible.(610hp was too slow, 680hp was too much)
Based on that, my top 3 would be the 911 RSR(991) '17, the 458 italia GT3 '13 and the Ford GT LM Spec2 test car.(tc-0,soft tires,min downforce)

And before you go off on me for boosting them,:lol:, try it, pick any Gr.3 car , boosted to 645ish hp , do a test lap or two for the gearing.
It's a fast hour , only make 440,000(660,000 if you do it clean) but it's a whole lotta fun pushing these cars to the limit on that tight track.

Last edited:
Fuel efficiency is not one of my priorities when choosing. But, I like my Corvette & Mustang as well. They tend to work best with my driving style. :crazy:
Same here. The Vette was my go to car for quite a while. Now I use the Lexus and BMW more but if I need a safe choice (eg. a track I don't know), I always come back to my trusty Vette :D

Sorry to Necro this thread, but recently I've been doing a lot of the Gr3 races and I have been using the Renault R.S.01 GT3. On races where there is going to be pitstops, I found it's not got the biggest of fuel tanks, but I just find it a really nice, quick and stable platform. Also looks really cool IMO.

Sorry to Necro this thread, but recently I've been doing a lot of the Gr3 races and I have been using the Renault R.S.01 GT3. On races where there is going to be pitstops, I found it's not got the biggest of fuel tanks, but I just find it a really nice, quick and stable platform. Also looks really cool IMO.
I've found it to be the opposite of stable, at least in the FIA races, but that's partly why I use it. For tracks like Autopolis or Fuji I found it to be perfect, as it can change direction so easily. I am a DS4 user though, so bear that in mind.

My other go to is the Viper, it's extremely powerful yet quite stable and predictable, and not as thirsty as the Ford GT. And in the career mode races where there is no BoP, you literally drive past the other cars as if they're standing still.

I've found it to be the opposite of stable, at least in the FIA races, but that's partly why I use it. For tracks like Autopolis or Fuji I found it to be perfect, as it can change direction so easily. I am a DS4 user though, so bear that in mind.

My other go to is the Viper, it's extremely powerful yet quite stable and predictable, and not as thirsty as the Ford GT. And in the career mode races where there is no BoP, you literally drive past the other cars as if they're standing still.

I'm on a T300 RS setup with the uprated pedals. I guess I am catching any slides without much thought due to me driving and owning RWD cars for most of my adult life, which means I don't really find it that odd.

I'm on a T300 RS setup with the uprated pedals. I guess I am catching any slides without much thought due to me driving and owning RWD cars for most of my adult life, which means I don't really find it that odd.
it's not odd. RWD is CorrectWD. FF cars only really exist for cabin space, let's be real. RWD has more nuance but is ultimately more intuitive because it makes mechanical sense.

the '95 Mclaren BMW is easily my fave these days

How would you describe it? I tried it a while back and never had much luck with it...but I've been using it more recently and I'm becoming a fan. It seems to have a low max speed but makes up for this with good cornering speed.

How would you describe it? I tried it a while back and never had much luck with it...but I've been using it more recently and I'm becoming a fan. It seems to have a low max speed but makes up for this with good cornering speed.
Opposite. It has the best top speed in class but the worst brakes.

RS.01 is brilliant, but has zero rear vision and a really annoying reflection in the windshield, so I bumpercam it. (Where's my Race Engineer with that can of Krylon flat black?) Needs a touch more top end or a gearing tweak- 6th is too tall, 7th is mostly untouched. The NSX is also really sweet and neutral- it's my current favorite. I'll have to try the Z3...

The NSX is my new baby. Very rewarding to drive. Responsive, agile, but not so down on power that the top speed cars will just run away.

Just be ready for that trademark twitch.

Hard to choose. The Aston served me well. That V12 sounds amazing. It's also been a surprise not seeing many when I use it in Sport Mode. It's pretty quick and economic.

AMG GT and Evo are easy to drive. I love the Evo's seating position. Extremely low like the old ToCA games.

Mustang has that straightline Handling and I too like the Viper. Nice car.

Yeah, the M6 is a weird one. TCS is like an on/off switch. Other cars allow smooth acceleration. The M6 is like: go, spin the tyres, bog down, go, spin the tyres, bog down, go.

Exactly! That's why I've got the RC F all to mys... dang.
It's still the RC F '17. Big Lex is the solid performer, for me, at every track. The sound, balance, the sound, grunt out of corners, the sound, economy, the sound, looks, the sound, cockpit view and instrumentation. Another good thing about Big Lex is the sound. Yeah... the sound.

The Ford GT LM Prototype GT3 is ok, but being supercharged, the Ford is very thirsty and that will come back to bite you in races with higher fuel usage multipliers. Also I find the mid-engined cars too difficult to control after the tire change from Pirelli to Michellin, maybe I'm just out of practice.

My pick is the Aston Martin V12 Vantage. Drives like the mid-engined cars used to, just lift off and turn in and you're already at the next turn. Never had a problem with fuel or tire consumption, and absolutely decimated the field at Brands Hatch yesterday. Also killed it at Interlagos the other week, despite having a broken brake pedal on my setup I still managed 5th.

My other pick is the Dodge Viper GT3. It drives like a traditional FR car, a very long one at that, but the amount of aero on the car glues it to the circuit. It's one of the few cars I can drive with T/C off. Had many a good race in the Viper.

And the other pick is the Porsche. Like the Aston you just use a +1 or -1 brake bias to adjust the understeer to your liking, then just lift off for a corner and brake to change the wheel direction. But being a straight six it is lacking in power compared to the others, so despite the low weight you'll need to be good to keep pace with someone who has double the cylinders, especially on uphill sections.

It all just need to fit your driving style. The Lexus, Supra, and the both the Mazdas are too oversteering for my driving style. The Ford Mustang is rock-solid, but handles like a rock on some tracks as well. The Aston Martin DBR9/Vantage are either very grippy or very understeery like an off/on switch. The viper is very good, but you need to manage the torque from
the big V10.

The Jaguar and BMW M6 however are the two gotos for me . They rotate just right, able to trail-brake long into corners, and still able to have pretty neutral tire wear on all compounds for longer races.

The Merc was always my favorite but not sure if changes were made as it now feels too tight, too much understeer.

The stupid bettle is a beast, slow on the straights but man it can howl through corners.

Ford GT is my favorite car hands down. It's fun to drive and keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire race. Something about the car being so unpredictable just makes the wins so much more worth while!

You'll often lose time thru the corners but if you can practice and get your braking points down and put the power back down on exit you'll be rewarded.

My biggest knock is the car just eats so much fuel and tires it's hard to be competitive in certain FIA races at times. For a daily driver though it's quite a beast!

For what it's worth, it's about the only car I've driven in sport mode from E rank to A+ now so car has potential. When the certain occasions arises that I can't win with the Ford GT then I pull out the AMG GT3 and it'll pick up the slack.

Last edited:
My issue with the GT is the TC is intrusive on exit. It's enjoyable to toss about and if i nail a lap it puts n great times but the TC can sap speed in traffic. The 911 is exactly the same, empty track and ideal lines it is great but as soon as I need to veer offline the TC bogs me down.

My issue with the GT is the TC is intrusive on exit. It's enjoyable to toss about and if i nail a lap it puts n great times but the TC can sap speed in traffic. The 911 is exactly the same, empty track and ideal lines it is great but as soon as I need to veer offline the TC bogs me down.

Yep you just have to get consistent putting the power down on exit, I always use TC 0 and it can get brutal! It's a car that requires you hit everything almost perfect otherwise you'll end up going backwards losing traction

I enjoy the Mazda Atenza.

Feel like it’s in the “middle ground” for how it performs and handles, an all around car for me.

I can control it well through turns, though there are many other cars in Gr3 I’m faster out of corners with.

For me it’s my go too middle of the road car, especially if I’m having some off races with cornering smoothly

I would choose the mclaren f1 gtr-bmw 95 myself

Great cornering at good speeds without skidding out and great on the throttle for coming out of them tight corners

That would be my choice for GR.3

I've been having a blast with the BMW M6 Gr.3 these days. Fun and performance, looks great, sounds awesome and with a decent setup, it drives exactly how I like it.
I set to oversteer and it does it well, and while I can hear my rear tyres gentle screams cornering, it doesn't feel like it's oversteering. It's a pretty smooth drive and my go to Gr.3 car. Loving it!

Back