Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

• Thread starter Pebb
  • 6,024 comments
Just trying to see if anybody play this game still?

I tried playing Modern Warfare 2 online, but ran into so many hacked lobbies, I gave up. CoD4, I get on maybe once a week, and I'm having much better luck with this one.

I can't get online on my PS3 with this game for whatever reason, but I think I'll grab it on PC when it's inevitably involved in a Steam sale. Don't really feel like paying $20 for what will mostly be a game I play once in a while when I'm bored and want to reminisce about how much of a joke high school was (and by extension, how much time I spent playing COD4).

Don't really feel like paying $20 for what will mostly be a game I play once in a while when I'm bored and want to reminisce about how much of a joke high school was (and by extension, how much time I spent playing COD4).

You mean the 3500+ well invested hours in CoD4? :P

It'll most likely be on Steam summersale, if not earlier.

CoD4 is right up there with one of the most addicting games I've ever played, if not the most addicting.
I can't get online on my PS3 with this game for whatever reason, but I think I'll grab it on PC when it's inevitably involved in a Steam sale. Don't really feel like paying $20 for what will mostly be a game I play once in a while when I'm bored and want to reminisce about how much of a joke high school was (and by extension, how much time I spent playing COD4).
I saw this post in the Modern Warfare 2 thread. I have no trouble with them. Yet.

I can't get online on my PS3 with this game for whatever reason...

If the problem you have is the same as me - Confirm Yes/No - the way to get around this is as follows...

You need to completely disconnect the internet from your PS3. So if you're using wireless, you need to turn the router off, load up the game (the C Y/N screen will not appear), then once it's fully loaded up you can turn the router back on and sign in.

I'm assuming a wired connection would require you to remove the Ethernet cable from the PS3. I wouldn't know as I'm on wireless myself. But the same principle applies as above. Only reconnect to the internet once the game has loaded.

Going into the Internet Settings on your PS3 and disabling it from there will not work. Once you're on the game, trying to access these settings isn't possible, as you need to quit the game to be able to reconnect to the internet again.

I don't know why it's like this, I know many other friends who suffer from this as well. I doubt it'll ever be fixed either since it's been like this for well over a year! If that's your problem, I hope I've been able to help.

Just to clarify what the screen is like, here's a picture.

test.jpg

Last edited:
Im still playing MW on PS3, quite often. Right now I dont play because Im on the seaside (with no internet) but I cant help myself stop playing this game for over 2 and a half years. Its excellent, addictive and I wouldnt probably be playing it if I had no friends to play with them.

Speaking of problems...
I have a strange problem that occured right after I purchased and installed map pack on my PS3.
It goes like this: I used to play ( before installing map pack) pretty much all modes with emphasis on Mercenary team deathmatch, in which I would find a lobby in no time, but now I cant find any servers. The best I would get from it is when one or two players would come up if I was hosting a game. And I would wait for 30 minutes...
What I have done is: restarted the game, refreshed the game by going in the SP menu and back, but nothing helped me solve the problem. Have to mention that my account was not hacked ( and if it was, i would make another account, but would have same problems)...

The reason I highlighted map pack is because I think it has something to do with it (problem), but I am not sure. Hope somebody else has the sollution to this and if he could share it with me, I would be very happy.

May I ask, what is COD4 like as a single player game for PS3? I'd be looking for a second-hand copy for around $10 to $20.

I've recently got back into games and am after a good first person shooter using realistic weapons etc. I have no interest in online multi-player.

May I ask, what is COD4 like as a single player game for PS3? I'd be looking for a second-hand copy for around $10 to $20.

I've recently got back into games and am after a good first person shooter using realistic weapons etc. I have no interest in online multi-player.
I assume CoD4 for PS3 is the same as for PC, which is awesome.

Definitely worth playing. 👍

Cod 4 has by far the best campaign of any of them, very good story and it lasts longer than a couple of days! An indefinitely better game than its successors, even the simpler online is a lot more fun (having said that I quite like World at War too) :D

Cod 4 has by far the best campaign of any of them, very good story and it lasts longer than a couple of days! An indefinitely better game than its successors, even the simpler online is a lot more fun
Well said!

CoD4 has by far the best singleplayer campaign and in my opinion by far the best multiplayer. Of course the MP kinda dieing now after many years of service, but there are many thousands still playing it. On all platforms.

Which reminds me, I gotta play through the MW campaign again soon. For old times sake. :dopey:

Cod 4 has by far the best campaign of any of them, very good story and it lasts longer than a couple of days! An indefinitely better game than its successors, even the simpler online is a lot more fun (having said that I quite like World at War too) :D

You are right. COD mw 4 is by far the best COD game. The campaign is amazing.
A Nuclear explosion, A stealth/Sniper mission in Chernobyl, AC-130 mission.
The multiplayer is the fairest of the series.:P

Speaking of problems...
I have a strange problem that occured right after I purchased and installed map pack on my PS3.
It goes like this: I used to play ( before installing map pack) pretty much all modes with emphasis on Mercenary team deathmatch, in which I would find a lobby in no time, but now I cant find any servers. The best I would get from it is when one or two players would come up if I was hosting a game. And I would wait for 30 minutes...
What I have done is: restarted the game, refreshed the game by going in the SP menu and back, but nothing helped me solve the problem. Have to mention that my account was not hacked ( and if it was, i would make another account, but would have same problems)...

The reason I highlighted map pack is because I think it has something to do with it (problem), but I am not sure. Hope somebody else has the sollution to this and if he could share it with me, I would be very happy.

I've been playing this again recently too. I'm having a similar issue. I generally play Hardcore Team Deathmatch, but when i try to find a lobby, it just sits there. Very occasionally i'll get one or two others joining, but not nearly enough to start a game. In the end i quit out and join a regular TDM lobby.

I imagined that it'll have been down to the fact that there are much fewer people playing it online. But the odd thing is, i have a buddy who sometimes plays too, if i join his 'invite' we have no trouble finding an active HCTDM lobby. But if i invite him, we have the same issue as i have on my own.

The campaign is pretty awesome. I would like to pick up a copy of CoD4 for PC, but I do not really want to pay another $20 for a third copy of the game.

All the missions surrounding Chernobyl were pretty incredible. Thinking back on it, I do not really remember any of the other missions.

:lol:

May I ask, what is COD4 like as a single player game for PS3?

It's so, so good.

I enjoyed this campaign so much more than any of the other titles in the series. It's just so gritty and like a manly-mans story. Playing as the SAS are by far my favourite levels, not to take away from any of the Marine levels, but Soap and Price are just such great characters. Let's not forget about MacMillan, either.

I've started playing this again, too, (after saying I would but never actually returning to it). I'm playing through the story on Veteran and have just reached The Bog. I might play a few more levels tonight and tomorrow and finish it up next week.

I've also started playing online again, I've played for just over an hour and haven't lost a game. I'm currently levelling up on my new GTP account, so if anyone wants to play you can add me on GTP_Yukon. I've already got Cracker added but we're yet to be online at the same time. :lol:

I've also started playing online again, I've played for just over an hour and haven't lost a game. I'm currently levelling up on my new GTP account, so if anyone wants to play you can add me on GTP_Yukon. I've already got Cracker added but we're yet to be online at the same time. :lol:

Get just ran into you not to long ago. It surprised me that other GTPers played this game. I just sent you an FR.

@theCracker

Same story again, think we got to face with it, its 6 years old videogame :/

As soon as I come back from vacancy, I will send you guys friend requests, so we can play together :)

Get just ran into you not to long ago. It surprised me that other GTPers played this game. I just sent you an FR.

Make sure you send it to both GTP_TC & gtp_dan - i can't recall which one i use to play CoD4 on, i think it might be my earlier gtp_dan one.

@TheCracker

Same story again, think we got to face with it, its 6 years old videogame :/

As soon as I come back from vacancy, I will send you guys friend requests, so we can play together :)

benStillerDoIt.jpg

I had a thought about that 'not finding a HCTDM lobby' thing the other night when having a similar issue with MW2. I have a feeling that it might have something to do with having, or not having, the additional DLC map packs. With fewer people playing the game, the amount of people with the various map packs will only make up a small percentage of those that do still play. If you do have all the packs, you'll only be put into lobbies with others who have all those maps. Add to that the small percentage who play HCTDM and you end up with a tiny pool of potential players. The guys i know who have less difficulty finding an active lobby, are those who haven't downloaded the extra maps.

Since this thread popped back up, I finally bought CoD4 for PC. Amazon had it, MW2, and MW3 bundled on sale for the lowest price I have seen any of them at. So I bought the bundle. I have however not gotten past downloading all three games yet.

@TheCracker

A lot of things have happened in the meantime. College started and I'm waiting for winter break to play GT6 and good old CoD4. I really miss it, mostly because of good friendships I gained throughout 2 years of playing online.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DogZy9/videos

Here is mine YT channel. I have one GT5 online race (very good one ;)), few cod videos and one 427 Cobra video, so check it out ;)

I agree with you on DLC influencing playing HC, ..., matches.

@Brett

Enjoy!

Since this thread popped back up, I finally bought CoD4 for PC. Amazon had it, MW2, and MW3 bundled on sale for the lowest price I have seen any of them at. So I bought the bundle. I have however not gotten past downloading all three games yet.
You should download it ASAP. CoD4 is great, and still alot of active players on PC. :D

I have all three games downloaded and installed on my computer, but I have not played any of three on PC yet.

Back