It is unlikely the lights are causing any performance issues, but old versions of Firefox were known to struggle with basic SVG animations.
The animation will be disabled if you have the reduce animation setting enabled in your OS's accessibility options. In Windows 7 you should be able to find that setting in Control Panel > Ease of Access > Make the computer easier to see > Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible).
Keep in mind that you are taking a serious risk by continuing to use such an old operating system and browser. Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 almost four years ago and it will no longer receive any security updates. Firefox also no longer supports the operating system.
Yeah, those flashing lights are always annoying every Xmas.
Have you tried this in your site preferences?
At least they won't be visible as you scroll down now.
I haven't noticed any difference in performance since the Christmas Lights have reappeared (Nor should I with the system I'm using)
I just checked the difference in Task Manager on my browser homepage and with GTP and there was absolutely no noticeable difference. I have a mid to high spec gaming system running Windows 11 by the way. My favoured browser is Opera GX.