Codemasters - Grid 2 - 2013

• Thread starter tribolik
  • 2,229 comments
I only purchased Grid2 to fill the gap between GT5 and GT6. Played it for a month and was not impressed at all. Time to trade it in now that GT6 is upon us. If you have PsPlus membership, save your bandwith.. This game is not worth it. Just my 2 cents..

I've finally maxxed out online level 99, drove close to 22,000 km so I do get my money's worth from the game. But yes, the experience is not worth it. I might post the best tunes for all my cars later (though I suspect nobody cares anymore :P).

Goodbye Grid2, you've been a great placeholder. Now off to GT6!

As promised, here's the tunes I use for my cars. The numbers are meant to represent the 'boxes' of Engine-Drivetrain-Handling. Also put my recommended best cars for each tier.

T1
Camaro 121 (best for open tracks)
Mustang 211 (good for drift)
Focus 302
1 Series 111
Charger 211 (best for drift) or 112 (race)
Genesis 201
M3 Evo 102
190E 112
Alfa 4C 300 (hard to drive)
Giulietta 212 (best for touge)
Golf 301
Silvia 012 (good for drift)
BRZ 003 (good for touge)
Fairlady 013 (good for drift)

T2
Nismo 310 (best for touge)
Camaro 203 (good for open tracks)
RX7 301 (hard to drive)
S2000 200 (hard to drive)
Mustang 212 (good for open tracks)
370Z 014 (good for touge)
M3 302 (faster but harder, good for drift & open tracks) or 123 (slower but easier)
C63 302 (faster but harder, best for open tracks) or 114 (slower but easier)
Challenger 301 (best for drift) or 203 (race)
RS5 302 (good for touge)
TT 210

T3
Vette 302 (best for open tracks)
Viper 211 (good for drift)
Atom 200 (best for touge)
MP4 211
NSX 301 (hard to drive)
Alfa 311 (good for open tracks)
Vanquish 210 (best for drift)
SL65, KTM, BAC, Caterham, Zagato, Jaguar all maxxed out to T4

T4 (all maxxed out)
Caterham (best for touge)
KTM, BAC, Zagato (good for touge)
Jaguar (best for drift)
SL65 (good for drift)
Agera > Huayra > Veyron > Zenvo > F1 > SLR > One-77 (order from best to worst for open tracks)
Agera (very hard to drive)
Zenvo (good for drift)
R8 LMS > MP4 > 722 GT > SLS (order from best to worst for touring cars, generally slower than supercars)

That's it folks. Remember practice makes perfect. Just because you use the best car and tune doesn't mean you will not be beaten by the worst car driven by a good driver. This game is all about mastering drifting around corners, as stupid as it sounds. My tip, practice with the Agera in single player. If you can drive 5 laps around any track without crashing, you will pwn online. Good luck!

Last edited:
Bumpity. Having some fun with this now (got it via PS+) but almost gave up on it earlier. I know it's more of an arcade racer but I still found the handling really odd, the steering seems progressive as if you are giving more lock the longer you hold the stick rather than the further you push it, a little like older games or handheld games that only use the D-pad. But I've *kinda* got more used to it now.

I do have various gripes with the game though, I'm not bothered about lack of cockpit view as I use chase cam but it was still a surprising omission. There are a few other oddities though such as the game not remembering your camera position between races, or even rounds, so you have to cycle through the views which is slow and distracts from the start of the race.

And on that note, distractions. I guess this further defines it as an arcade racer but I do get a little tired of the amount of particles and glare on the screen most of the time, which looks pretty but often makes it really hard to see when the road is going. Atmospheric, but almost seems like an element added to the gameplay rather than just aesthetics, and I'm not a fan. The guy on the radio gets beyond annoying too, spends most of the time stating the damn obvious, the incorrect or just being really annoying and distracting. Luckily you can turn the speech off.

Other than that, I'm not a massive fan of the way the campaign is set up, too linear and too much BS around social media, sponsorship and such (I prefer my stock road cars decal-free). Also the cars aren't varied enough, many have almost identical stats.

Despite these many gripes, getting down to the bare bones of the racing, it's pretty solid. It follows its old TOCA forebears in that the other drivers are not shy about clipping or even t-boning you at every opportunity, which sometimes makes the rewind feature essential (I avoid it in other games) but there is a good sense of speed, and the cars feel weighty, despite the frequent impression of camera shake (another unnecessary distraction) attempting to make them a little floaty instead. I'm looking forward to unlocking more cars, even if they probably won't handle too differently, and more of the race circuits once I get past the initial street layouts.

Anyone else come to this game late via PS+?

Last edited:
I'd only bother with career if you're interested in the trophies - otherwise, online is a much better experience. No sponsors or liveries tying you down, and the guy on the radio is nowhere to be heard. You can even buy your own cars which is a rarity in modern racing games.

Also the only way to play Demolition Derbies which are a nice alternative to racing.

I only purchased Grid2 to fill the gap between GT5 and GT6. Played it for a month and was not impressed at all. Time to trade it in now that GT6 is upon us. If you have PsPlus membership, save your bandwith.. This game is not worth it. Just my 2 cents..

I did the same, bought Grid 2 waiting GT6, but I like the game, so I get level 99 and I am still playing online. I look for serious and clear drivers to create playlist. Send friend request to gigiotto59, PS3. See you on the tracks.

I did the same, bought Grid 2 waiting GT6, but I like the game, so I get level 99 and I am still playing online. I look for serious and clear drivers to create playlist. Send friend request to gigiotto59, PS3. See you on the tracks.

Will send fr. Hardly play grid any longer. I just do the weekly events. Am at level 30. If I'm online I would definately love to join you in some clean races where people understand what racing is, which unfortunately is the minority of the players online in Grid2

I love Codemasters

good old codies.png

Given the high speeds and narrow city courses, I'd not use cockpit camera even if they provided it. Bonnet (hood) cam is essential to judging the width of the car.

I used bonnet cam in DiRT 2 and 3, which drive the same as GRiD 2, despite them having cockpit mode, for the same reason.

(And yes, I drive all my real sims in cockpit mode)

Hmm, yeah. Bumper view works best for me, great sense of speed and better feedback from the tires and suspension.
Not a big fan of FM4's bumper view - sits too high, but then again it's the best view to play from. Hood view in any racing game for me feels slow.

How do you get over the limited wheel animation in most sims? Doesn't it throw you off around sharp bends?

Well, I don't know what to say...but this is going to be a serious and long post from me. Here's to the slim chance of keeping this game alive for as long as possible.

:cheers:

Note that I've never played the first GRID.

I'm fully aware this is old news, but it's been a little over a year and a half since Codemasters made an announcement that they would remove interior views from GRID 2, to the displeasure of a lot of people; not just those who enjoyed the first game, but to racing simulator enthusiasts (throughout this post, I'll use iRacing as an example) in general. After the announcement, several, if not all, iRacing fans who heard the announcement made a promise to themselves to refuse to even so much as rent the game for a few hours...because CM took out the interior view. Then again, I should have expected that kind of reaction from that kind of crowd. :rolleyes:

It's now a month and a half or so into 2014. The promise to not even touch GRID 2 thanks to the lack of interior view is still held true by a marginal group of people. The rest of people that have heard about it would rather play another game, have stopped caring, have forgotten about it completely, or have given in to peer or personal pressure and bought the game despite everything they said earlier. I'm not one of them; I honestly don't care about interior views unless I'm playing something like iRacing or Assetto Corsa.

Between August 8, 2012 and May 28, 2013, I never posted anywhere on any thread on the internet talking about GRID 2, anywhere on the internet saying anything along the lines of "No cockpit view, no sale," except drawn out to essay length and be completely serious about it. On the other hand, there were a lot of people that did post that, and I'd like to ask them: What is it like to know that only a small number of people (small being about 1 or 2 million) who's ever played a racing game honestly use only the interior view? They may refuse to believe this at first, but the fact of the matter is that the silent majority doesn't care for it as much as another person might think they do. I'm one of those guys that just uses it on and off so I guess I care about it to an extent. But, not to the degree where I'd have unnatural levels of contempt for a game that was originally supposed to have it, but later took it out during development...like GRID 2.

I want to support good game developers, or those with great potential, and we have seen some good racing games from CM, even if they're not entirely sim-like. Again, even though I've never had the chance to play it, Race Driver GRID had more than a few good things said about it.

The Late Summer of 2012 was far too early for me to judge the game based on a piece of news I wasn't entirely sure about; and the game didn't have an exact release date yet. Instead, I felt it would be smarter of me to wait until release date, and not give an opinion on GRID 2 until I bought it shortly after release date and played it for a few hours.

I'm one guy that can say he bought GRID 2. I did not buy it because it was a game made by CM, or because it was trying to be iRacing (although it failed spectacularly), or because of the hype that critics and review sites gave it. I didn't even buy it BECAUSE interiors were removed at all. I only bought it because at the time, it hit an interest point in my brain and to me, that's all that matters when buying anything. So I'd imagine that the lack of cockpit view must have struck a huge disinterest point in the iRacing fans and the like; to them, it would rate at about a 5 to a -10/10, depending on the person. Also, I know of one video on Youtube that called GRID 2 the "Worst Racing Game Ever Made".
I'm not going to let you watch it, but to that, I simply have to say that GRID 2 has far from "earned" the right to be called the worst racing game ever made. If you believe it has earned that right, then I'll guess that you've never heard of Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing...but that's purely my opinion and I digress.

The in-car cockpit view is meant to be a form of immersion; it's a sub-category of what casual gamers call first person mode. And first-person views in any game are meant to immerse you into the situation you're in. So in iRacing, interior view is meant to immerse you into driving whichever car you decide on, which can be enhanced through the use of a steering wheel controller and a multi-television setup, if you have the money, room space, and PC power.

If you were spending a lot of time playing iRacing, then I'd imagine you'd have to be fairly used to the interior view and that feeling of immersion that it can give you. And I'll say that if iRacing didn't have interior views at all, it would have gotten the same reaction that GRID 2 did (and for very good reason, too). The difference between both games is, iRacing is meant to simulate driving a car around a track like you would in real life. GRID 2 isn't meant to work the same way as iRacing does. Yes, the physics aren't great when it compared to other games, but it doesn't have the worst physics engine ever. Yes, that guy that talks to you can get annoying (you know, the one in Single Player), but there is a way to turn him off. Yes, cockpit view isn't there unlike a lot of other games. but neither does Grand Theft Auto V (well, I don't see anyone complaining about that...and why would you want to, when you could just run around, kill people, and be a massive troll :lol:). But to me, GRID 2 is not the greatest or the worst, but a decent, even if ridiculously controversial, racing game and it rates at a 7/10 in my book right now.

However, interior view is not one of the reasons I'm going to shelf this game one of these days. The main reasons are that it doesn't connect with me as much as it used to, I think online has gotten worse since the last time I played it, and I'd rather play Gran Turismo 6, which I think has an even worse community of online players (the "Worst You've Dealt With Online" thread has gone into some deep details and can provide some good laughs as well)...but whatever.

I will try to play this game again one day as I haven't given up on it completely (I remember almost completely destroying multiplayer in my prime). Then again, there are people that have already given up on GRID 2, and even CM, a year and a half ago for reasons already explained above. And even with the rise of Grand Theft Auto V, GT6 and a few other games, I can safely say that GRID 2's Online Community seems to have died down, and I'm most likely not alone in what I'm saying.

But enough talk about other games. I'll call it as I see it; 95% of people that played Race Driver GRID didn't use cockpit view. So where, how or why did CM pull those numbers out of their 🤬? Well, it may seem like that, but it's a lot harder to explain than it really is. What happened behind the scenes was, Race Driver GRID had collected data from its online servers as everyone was playing, including whether or not they had the view locked to the interior view. Out of all of them, CM found that only 5% of those people were using the "Lock to Head Cam" option, which forces you into the interior view and prevents you from switching views at all. So, based on that collected information, CM decided to make an announcement in which interior views, even as an optional view, would be removed. It would appear that some of those 5%, most of them in the iRacing crowd, that did lock the view to interior weren't happy/got mad with that announcement. They took great pleasure and pride in complaining about it as well as promising themselves to not even play the demo in a few cases. But as with almost every game, GRID 2 is not without its fans, the same going for iRacing. That backlash against the removal of interior view still remains on the internet even to this day, but it seems to have died down. And even if cockpit view was in GRID 2, I could probably imagine it not being very good considering a fan-made mod that put in cockpit view that quickly got removed.

I do not speak the truth. I do not speak false information. I simply speak what is my opinion alone, and I'm just being honest. Buy GRID 2 if you want; you're not wasting anyone's time. If you want my advice, I would give it a rental if you just want to try this game. But if you're just there for cockpit view and nothing more, you'll be pretty disappointed and never want to touch this game again.

I know that there are several people on the internet that can and will disagree with this. I'd like to meet them.

So do you agree (👍) or disagree (👎) ?

P.S.
How do you get over the limited wheel animation in most sims? Doesn't it throw you off around sharp bends?

It very rarely can, if you're not being careful.

Weellllll, I didn't go through the entire post, but I did catch the bit about cockpit view missing. It doesn't bother me. So far, GRID II hasn't been all that impressive for me, though it did draw me in at first (was looking for a short break from FM4).

I don't like the fact that you have to grind your rear so long in the career just to drive the much faster cars.

On a related note: Dirt 3's cockpit views are nice. At least the wheel movement doesn't feel as numb and constricted as Forza's.

Weellllll, I didn't go through the entire post, but I did catch the bit about cockpit view missing. It doesn't bother me.

It doesn't bother me, either. I only bring it up because back in August 2012, it bothered quite a lot of people. It still bothers a few of them to this day, others have gotten over it. It's hard to tell exactly who, though.

I have stopped playing this game completely but not because the cockpit view. More because it has lost my interest as well as them resorting to the ever so disappointing tactic of charging you for literally recycled content. Right now thanks to the hideous handling of F1 2013 in the US, I have no interesting in buying anything from codemasters anymore. They've managed to become another company that I have lost all respect and hope for and, in a rage filled rant I made elsewhere, even wished for them to just die off. While I can't stop anyone from making the decision to purchase anything from them, I do actively discourage it as I feel they'll only be encouraged to keep up with such crappy business.

No, Nick, I'm with you on the head-cam deal, I think it's still waaay overblown. However I say it is a solid game...

Doesn't mean it's good.

I wrote a review for it, on top of the ranting I did here.

I have stopped playing this game completely but not because the cockpit view. More because it has lost my interest as well as them resorting to the ever so disappointing tactic of charging you for literally recycled content. Right now thanks to the hideous handling of F1 2013 in the US, I have no interesting in buying anything from codemasters anymore. They've managed to become another company that I have lost all respect and hope for and, in a rage filled rant I made elsewhere, even wished for them to just die off. While I can't stop anyone from making the decision to purchase anything from them, I do actively discourage it as I feel they'll only be encouraged to keep up with such crappy business.

Bad handling in the US version of F1 2013? What's different about other versions then?

Codemasters was a solid contender up until the TOCA days. That's it. Downhill since. There's way too much competition in the "realistic driving" entertainment industry, and they just can't keep up.

I think it's probably going to be a PD vs T10 bout for the next few years. *Talking only consoles, not PC sims*

No, Nick, I'm with you on the head-cam deal, I think it's still waaay overblown. However I say it is a solid game...

Doesn't mean it's good.

I wrote a review for it, on top of the ranting I did here.

Just read through your review. A bit inclusive; no mention of the sound design or physics? What about graphics??

Bad handling in the US version of F1 2013? What's different about other versions then?

Its not different from the other versions, but that's not my point. My point was that they did a terrible job in the way they managed the release of the game here, giving us a release date only to delay (and then cancel) the game on the very morning of release day. Yes I could buy another version of the game, but that is still giving them money and thus, still rewarding terrible decisions. I could understand one month before release or even one week before release as at least it gives me time. But on the morning of release day? That's unacceptable and its a slap to the face of people who waited for it.

Just read through your review. A bit inclusive; no mention of the sound design or physics? What about graphics??

I've only written out a handful of them, and writing has never been my strongpoint.

The hell am I saying, I have no strong points.

This is the reason I also tell people not to live and die by the word of others, because my view is from one who played GRID 1. The physics are almost full on arcade, and drifting sucks, not much more to that aspect; the music is forgettable, and I don't recall much in the sounds department aside from some cars gurgling and others whining like a four year old; and I graphics are almost at the bottom of my list, beaten out by multiplayer. This is something I run into with the GT games as well, everyone complaining about the graphics being subpar and the sounds being wrong, meanwhile I'm focusing on the gameplay quality.

I do stand by what I said though.

Well, I was bored, so I decided to get the Bathurst DLC. Two things I noticed:

1) the Ford Ute is suprisingly grippy, and

2) the Ford Sierra has a Laverstoke Park Farm livery (basically an organic farm owned and ran by Jody Scheckter). Which is odd because he apparently has no connection to the car whatsoever. Also, I literally live ten minutes down the road from the place. :dopey:

I've played Grid 2 a lot in the last 2 months, the only car I actually rate as being proper fun to drive and remotely realistic (as can be in an arcade game) is the Indycar, especially on the Okutama/Mizu mountain hillclimb on a daytime run. The best track in the game Imo.

If any of you have the Indycar what is your best time on that event? I'd like to find out just how much time I still have to find.

Back