Corvette C7

• Thread starter boomee
  • 2,702 comments
Knowing GM and other companies nowadays, next gens aren't much anymore. Maybe some larger fenders reminiscent or years past and moar power but other than that my honest opinion is this.

That, as far as I know, has been GM's plan all along. The Corvette is reaching a point that is near-enough the same as the 911. If you change the game too much, you're going to lose sales from the fans.

The only thing where GM will be stepping out of bounds is by introducing their next-generation small-block V8s. Smaller displacement, sticking with OHVs, adding direct-injection and variable valve timing. I'd be willing to bet the Corvette has somewhere between a 5.3L and 5.7L V8. No idea where the high performance options would be going...

That, as far as I know, has been GM's plan all along. The Corvette is reaching a point that is near-enough the same as the 911. If you change the game too much, you're going to lose sales from the fans.

The only thing where GM will be stepping out of bounds is by introducing their next-generation small-block V8s. Smaller displacement, sticking with OHVs, adding direct-injection and variable valve timing. I'd be willing to bet the Corvette has somewhere between a 5.3L and 5.7L V8. No idea where the high performance options would be going...

I commend them for sticking to OHV's. I prefer that design over OHC's any day.

I agree though. That's why I said what I did, looking at the past few generations I can't see why they would make such a dramatic change.

Okay, I'll say what everyone else is thinking.

Just give us the pop-up headlights again. Please?

marluxiaXI11
There aren't enough advantages for them to come back

This. It hurts aerodynamics, like towing a 50lb weight behind you. I like the C6 headlights, I hope they stay similar.

You probably won't see pop-up headlights again, due to their aerodynamics (or lack thereof), and also recent pedestrian safety regulations.

Edit: This goes not just for the Vette, but any relatively mass produced vehicle.

They're heavy and not aerodynamic. Those two realities alone are more than enough reason to take them off sports cars. Stick them on GT cars every day of the week till your heart's content.

We haven't had pop-up headlights on any car since both the C5 Vette and Lotus Esprit went out of production in 2004 or 2005. We'll never see them on a volume production car again.

They're heavy and not aerodynamic.

Not aerodynamic *when up :sly:

I expect weight is negligible too. It's mainly pedestrian safety regulations keeping them off modern cars now, I think.

I do like pop-ups though. As an ex-Miata owner I have a soft spot for them. Also like the ones on the C4 Corvette that did a little back-flip when they came up. And pretty much every Japanese coupe throughout the 1980s had pop-ups.

While I do like pop-ups myself, I believe them as part of history rather than something that should be featured on modern automobiles.

They looked really great on 80s and 90s Ferraris as well. They're not something that makes a car, but does add a bit of flair. They're not necessary for the Vette by any stretch of the imagination.

Motors, hydraulics, in front of front axle. It adds up in weight an price.

One or t'other. Most will use electric motors I suspect, and sometimes vacuum servos on older cars. Not saying it's not some weight, but there are much better ways of cutting down on weight than losing a couple of small electric motors.

To be honest, the sheer size of some modern headlamps probably makes them heavier than pop-ups anyway.

One of GM's Tier 1 suppliers, Omega Tool Corp., made a video to show off how well they could mold complicated plastic body panels. Only they chose the still-secret 2014 Chevy Corvette instead of the outgoing C6 Corvette. Oops.
Jalopnik

Video was removed

Here are a few screen shoots if the vid goes down or is removed
original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
They also showed pics of the rear bumper. It shows that Jalopnik's rendering looks pretty accurate despite what the skeptics say.

Back