"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
I'm telling you, Group 2 in cockpit mode is exhilarating!!!!!

Just had 2 fun races in pretty fast lobbies. First grid I qualified 2nd or 3rd, so I opted for softs. Went 8 full laps.... was going to go in on 7, but I had the pace with no apparent drop-off, so I stayed out. First and myself gapped the field pretty good but geezo.... we were the only 2 that started with softs, and the rest of the field came on like freight trains the back half of the race. Him and I were barely able to hold our positions towards the end. It was nerve racking just watching the time gaps close sector to sector.

Second race, was placed in an A/A+ lobby and I was slotted 6th. Decided to start on mediums regardless of where I qualified. I picked up positions in the first 4 laps due to other's mistakes (no real overtaking in this race I'm noticing). I stayed out an extra lap on mediums pitting at the end of lap 8. It was a gamble as the entire field pitted at lap 7, but I wanted the clean air and I was nailing my braking points, so I felt I was good. At first I thought I had made a mistake, because I had guys nipping at my heels as I came back out of the pits in the same place I entered (2nd but with a 4 second gap). But the strategy proved to be advantageous the last 2 laps as my tires were 1 lap fresher. The winner was some alien that was full-speeding COD every lap. There were a couple other non-qualifying A+ERS', who worked there way from 16th and 17th up to 4th and 5th. Insane

I think the gaps at the start of Spa is what is hurting it's rep on here. I am not sure what else we can want from a race track, to me it is up there with Bathurst and Road America as the best of the big fast, challenging race tracks.

Agreed, I love Spa. The rolling start is terrible though if you start mid pack or later. My DR is at a high B at the moment so competing with high B/low A racers has me qualifying around mid pack and its pretty much impossible to catch the leader at this track in this format. Doesn't bother me much as I care more about good racing than winning, but would be nice to at least have a shot here and there. Still love Spa though, something about it has always given me a good vibe and love seeing it come up in the daily races. A longer race C at Spa would be very enjoyable.

Second race, was placed in an A/A+ lobby and I was slotted 6th. Decided to start on mediums regardless of where I qualified. I picked up positions in the first 4 laps due to other's mistakes (no real overtaking in this race I'm noticing). I stayed out an extra lap on mediums pitting at the end of lap 8. It was a gamble as the entire field pitted at lap 7, but I wanted the clean air and I was nailing my braking points, so I felt I was good. At first I thought I had made a mistake, because I had guys nipping at my heels as I came back out of the pits in the same place I entered (2nd but with a 4 second gap). But the strategy proved to be advantageous the last 2 laps as my tires were 1 lap fresher. The winner was some alien that was full-speeding COD every lap. There were a couple other non-qualifying A+ERS', who worked there way from 16th and 17th up to 4th and 5th. Insane

I'm putting together a video of another great race at DTS in Gr. 2. That race I tried to describe in an earlier post. Well, I ran the 8M/5S strategy & it would have paid off were it not for the NSX driver tapping me going into the first chicane & following it by pinching me off & running me into the wall in the CoD. As I said before, I've been able to flat out the CoD on the soft tire with clean air. Feels awesome.

I'm putting together a video of another great race at DTS in Gr. 2. That race I tried to describe in an earlier post. Well, I ran the 8M/5S strategy & it would have paid off were it not for the NSX driver tapping me going into the first chicane & following it by pinching me off & running me into the wall in the CoD. As I said before, I've been able to flat out the CoD on the soft tire with clean air. Feels awesome.

I do it in qualifying for sure. There's really no other way to get a good time. In a race, I don't have the balls to do it. I think in the A+ lobbies you have no choice, but for me...there's too much to lose. DT is such a fast track that if you hit the COD, your race is effectively over. I hope that people keep trying tho. I seem to pick up at least 1 position per race from somebody wadding up there!

If you drive from the back, like me, once you get below 90SR, you get in a hole that's extremely hard to get out of.
I dropped to 89 because of some bs. Next race, I'm starting behind a bunch of C, D, & E drivers. The things they do are so erratic and unpredictable that you will end up in the back of some people. If you're DR A, it's always your fault.

Of course I'm winning, but it's not really any fun. I think matchmaking should be a balance of DR & SR, not just SR.

I actually unfriended someone in the lower ranks, because they raced me like a total jerk, not knowing who I was, on my new account.
First person I've unfriended since Hawco. :D

Last edited:
Tried another Race A. Went as expected this time.

Started pole. Hit by 3 or 4 car on T1, last again. Made it back to 7th. Finished just to log the pole.

I want to complain but honestly a combo of Fuji and this car is going to be messy. I guess that's part of the fun. Just wish more people owned up to their mistakes.

Yeah nah, no. Other than the bus stop it is an immense piece of race track, every corner has a place and naturally flows to the next. We get big stops, ultra fast s section, slow s section, tonnes of elevation change, on camber, off camber, high speed turns, double apex turn, it is wonderful.
I agree with everything except the Bus Stop. That chicane isn't the Bus Stop and I wish people would stop calling it that. The Bus Stop went left up a hill and then right curving into another chicane. A great corner to which this new chicane does not deserve to have in it's name. I just call it the Last Chicane in lieu of a proper name.

Big Willow on the other hand, is exhilarating.

Plus it’s not needlessly long and it flows brilliantly, and you feel it when you use the full track. (Risk)

I'm telling you, Group 2 in cockpit mode is exhilarating!!!!!

The views really are great in both Lexus and Nissan. The sounds great too!

I think the gaps at the start of Spa is what is hurting it's rep on here

For me I haven’t been playing these games for years like a lot of guys. I guess there’s a lot of racers who have played there a lot in like AC and other titles…?
People have sooo much time in there in time trials.
For me there’s not any fun corners on the track except turn 2-3. In race that sucks because people won’t yield trying to go two wide, then comes a straight and divebomb area followed by two pointless turns and a downhill 180 right, followed by and always left then a straight with an ok left hander downhill again people shove you off then it’s a pointles right left then the last right onto the back straight around and up to the chicane punt zone.
I find driving here very much a chore rather than a challenge.
Now Bathurst on the other hand is a joy, like Willow or DTS…..or Brands or Brands Indy or RBR short lol all those even Tsukuba are more fun than Spa imo. (With good classes of cars for the track)
I dunno, I’m ok at Spa, did well in the formulas there but I just don’t get it. I don’t get the joy of racing there, personally. More like “protect against divebomb-why is this guy swerve blocking me-dang it punted-he’s not gonna do that…:::lift:::man why? “
For me online there is a chore more than fun, I’m pretty much avoiding it going forward. (Except formula cars grid start)

Last edited:
You're talking more about drivers than the track to some degree.

There's a clear passing op at the end of Kimmel, the next sequence is very challenging followed by the awkwardness into the double apex left with a passing of into the esses.

The right hander onto the back straight is superb, a real fine line corner that gives huge advantages if you get it right. Then there's blanchimont and thebpassing op into the final chicane.

I see 2 clear passing opportunities, 1 half chance. It's just racing with idiots that hurts.

You're talking more about drivers than the track to some degree.

There's a clear passing op at the end of Kimmel, the next sequence is very challenging followed by the awkwardness into the double apex left with a passing of into the esses.

The right hander onto the back straight is superb, a real fine line corner that gives huge advantages if you get it right. Then there's blanchimont and thebpassing op into the final chicane.

I see 2 clear passing opportunities, 1 half chance. It's just racing with idiots that hurts.

That’s pretty true too. I can’t remember any races I’ve done at Spa online offhand.
I can IMMEDIATELY remember races from Seaside Nurb GP Bathurst omg! Etc etc etc.
I’ve raced Spa many times in formula.
Right from the get go I was frustrated with it first time I tried gr4 there. The times people got were just too much. So, first experience there from me-annoyed. I agree there’s passing chances but online it’s mostly punting. People get frustrated with such a big long track and much of it follow the leader imo which causes dumb “moves”
I dunno ultimately it’s me. I just don’t get it.
Jmo

Edit re the video pit up from before after I saw the ridiculous divebomb into Seaside t1 I turned it off.
“Was that over the line?” (The commentator asks)

For me if I was the guy who got smashed at apex I’d punt off the guy that did that straightaway!
But you know FairPlay and respect go out the door in GTS for lots of players.

I am gonna say I’ve watched Z28 and he NEVER would ruin someone’s race like that.
The guy who posted above is trying to have serious commentary then pulls that Mariokart special?
Smh

Last edited:
Done for the week, heading to the coast today.

Finished with a few races on my NA alt, first a C, where I dropped my QT to 27.3 by setting the BB to +3 and holding a gear higher in T1/2 and the snorkel. It also helped me go flat out through COD.
In race I went S7 and briefly was at P2 but hit the cod going flat and finished p8.

So a race B as a finish, Mustang it is, making 3 spots before Pouhone, one more before busstop then a guy hits me hard in the rear and I get 4 seconds.
Pressing on, then the same guy and someone I suspect is a EMEA alt goes at it and blocks my way. And that gives me 2 se onds.
Again catching up on last lap, the other EMEA alt is in inside on the last lap and presses me off. Then he miss his brake marker and hits the wall so I finish ahead.
When I ask why he did that I get "I was on the inside".....
This mentality is killing the game.
Out of curiosity, what kind of starting position were you getting on the NA grids? I only had time for five qualify laps today and managed a 27.6 and I don't really want to try any further because qualifying is boring on tracks I'm already familiar with. GTBlade tells me nada.

Last edited:
^^^Im on c race and last first stint was a great back and forth. Lexus vs NSX, SOFTS.
I think softs are almost always the way to go early in this game. This race 6-7 soft is the sweet spot for me

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what kind of starting position were you getting on the NA grids? I only had time for five qualify laps today and managed a 27.6 and I don't really want to try any further because qualifying is boring on tracks I'm already familiar with. GTBlade tells me nada.

I have the same time and its slow, 85pc of A drivers are faster than us. My optimal is a 27 flat so i am just not connecting the sectors. Not a huuuuuuge issue as you can pass at seaside and 3 of the 20 guys will make romantic time with the COD.

Race pace wise I had one good knee tonight, on free air circulated on the 30s on mediums and 29s on softs, moved from 11th to 4th, that was fun.

^^^Im on c race and last first stint was a great back and forth. Lexus vs NSX, SOFTS.
I think softs are almost always the way to go early in this game.

Naah I can't make sense of startingy on the faster tyre. I find you get bogged down battling guys and use up the tyre pace, best to start medium, exit pits in free air and go hard for 3 laps.

I still see plenty at B/S level starting on the soft. At this level, guys are likely driving hard on the softs early & moving to medium after 5 laps. But I can match many of them on mediums & eat their lunch on softs at the end.

You’re like…

E14EE581-2A39-4A31-8641-7384816A0382.gif

:cheers:

Naah I can't make sense of startingy on the faster tyre

Your mileage may vary. I’ve been starting up front. I haven’t raced from midpack yet…Funny thing happened just now lap five 1-2-3 3wide at the link into turn 1. I back out early 2-3 take each other to the wall-I roll on to 17 second win lol.
I’ve been running Lexus. The GTR is a bit better though.
Last race the guy in second was driving the first lap like it was the last. I let him go he was bogging me then third caught and things got a little dicey with 3 cars bumper to bumper 1-2-3 COD. I knew what was coming. Just held station and waited for the inevitable.
Sure enough staying out of trouble letting others battle gave good results.

Last edited:
I’m at a 1:27.1 right now. I know there’s a 1:26.6 in me but that means I have to connect all the sections flawlessly…and I’ll still have a second to go to the leaders :lol:. Realistically I’ll get to a 1:26.8 if I put the time in. That’ll remain to be seen tho.

Like NevilleNobody said, I can help myself best by circulating consistently through the race and staying out of the wall in COD and the gravel at the 90 degree right hander before COD.

Edit:

...and the thing is I know what I need to do to get into the low 1:26's. Trail braking.
I've gotten better at it, but the top you tubers that I'm sure we all watch are just better and more consistent. I wonder how much of it is talent, and how much of it is equipment?

Last edited:
I have the same time and its slow, 85pc of A drivers are faster than us. My optimal is a 27 flat so i am just not connecting the sectors. Not a huuuuuuge issue as you can pass at seaside and 3 of the 20 guys will make romantic time with the COD.

Nice, thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll do a few more laps tomorrow before I race. I watched Z28's stream and at around the 30 minute mark, he gave some good guidance on entering the esses and I always lifted a bit at the chicane so if I fix those two issues, I should hope to have a better time. I'm at around mid B right now so that should help. I swore off looking at my DR ever again but I think that's where I'm at.

@Yard_Sale I don't think it has much to do with equipment. Z28 was using potentiometer pedals today because his Podium broke and @GOTMAXPOWER was crushing it from the back on his Canuck account on what I believe to be controller. No excuses - we got this.

Last edited:
Race C - I have always used the GTR when the GR2 races come up. Yesterday, just for some variation I switched to the Lexus. Was able to shave off 0.200 off my quali time of the GTR. I have a 1.28.2xx time now. Since I am racing in the high B/S rooms, I start at the end of the field. Started one race in 14th and spun out at auto start. I dropped to dead last even before crossing the start finish line with a 10 sec gap to 19th place.

I had started on Mediums, so was able to go long and gain positions because of others crashing at COD. Pit on lap 8 and switched to softs and pushed again. Finished the race in 13th. The Lexus seems solid at DTS.

Naah I can't make sense of startingy on the faster tyre. I find you get bogged down battling guys and use up the tyre pace, best to start medium, exit pits in free air and go hard for 3 laps.
The problem I have with mediums is that you need a big pace advantage to make passes because of the dirty air. It's easy to get trapped in a train even if those cars are a second off your pace. I like the extra grip with softs whilst the field is bunched up, you can gain 5-10 places then defend it to the finish when the race is more spread out.

Nice, thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll do a few more laps tomorrow before I race. I watched Z28's stream and at around the 30 minute mark, he gave some good guidance on entering the esses and I always lifted a bit at the chicane so if I fix those two issues, I should hope to have a better time. I'm at around mid B right now so that should help. I swore off looking at my DR ever again but I think that's where I'm at.

@Yard_Sale I don't think it has much to do with equipment. Z28 was using potentiometer pedals today because his Podium broke and @GOTMAXPOWER was crushing it from the back on his Canuck account on what I believe to be controller. No excuses - we got this.
I think I saw your name pop up with a 27.0 as FL at one point which is crazy fast.

Yeah, I'm on a controller 👍

...and the thing is I know what I need to do to get into the low 1:26's. Trail braking.
I've gotten better at it, but the top you tubers that I'm sure we all watch are just better and more consistent. I wonder how much of it is talent, and how much of it is equipment?
I've never been good at trail braking so try to balance the car on the accelerator instead. This is my qualifying lap 1:26.3

I still see plenty at B/S level starting on the soft. At this level, guys are likely driving hard on the softs early & moving to medium after 5 laps. But I can match many of them on mediums & eat their lunch on softs at the end.
In my 1 race so far at DTS I started on softs due to my starting position. I tend to decide on strategy that way. Top 10 then softer first. Behind that then harder first and try and gain on those on harder tyres at the end.

I've returned yet again, after a few months hiatus. Ran two race C's last night and found out I am off the pace big time. Both races the death chicane got me amongst other shenanigans, I think the goal will be not to come last by week's end haha. @GOTMAXPOWER had a good view of me suiciding at the COD in my second race haha.

The problem I have with mediums is that you need a big pace advantage to make passes because of the dirty air. It's easy to get trapped in a train even if those cars are a second off your pace. I like the extra grip with softs whilst the field is bunched up, you can gain 5-10 places then defend it to the finish when the race is more spread out.

I think I saw your name pop up with a 27.0 as FL at one point which is crazy fast.

Yeah, I'm on a controller 👍

I've never been good at trail braking so try to balance the car on the accelerator instead. This is my qualifying lap 1:26.3
That wasn't me. I was just watching the stream but there was one race where Z28, a bona-fide alien, purposely dropped back from 1st to 12th at the beginning and ended 5th. You started 20th and finished right behind him. That's nuts.

Race C - I have always used the GTR when the GR2 races come up. Yesterday, just for some variation I switched to the Lexus. Was able to shave off 0.200 off my quali time of the GTR. I have a 1.28.2xx time now. Since I am racing in the high B/S rooms, I start at the end of the field. Started one race in 14th and spun out at auto start. I dropped to dead last even before crossing the start finish line with a 10 sec gap to 19th place.

I had started on Mediums, so was able to go long and gain positions because of others crashing at COD. Pit on lap 8 and switched to softs and pushed again. Finished the race in 13th. The Lexus seems solid at DTS.

I always opt for the Lexus with good results but not for this race. The Lexus has major understeer for me, even with a ton of positive brake balance. I just can't do it.

Last edited:
@GOTMAXPOWER what's your canadian username? There's a fast Canadian bugger in the north american rooms, Paluwa, starts last no qualy and finishes top 5.

Re softs/hards, agree if i start top 5 I use the softer rubber, I am just not doing that in 99A rooms, i don't have the qualifying pace.

@GOTMAXPOWER had a good view of me suiciding at the COD in my second race haha.
If you don't hit it at least once a race you're not trying hard enough!

That wasn't me. I was just watching the stream but there was one race where Z28, a bona-fide alien, purposely dropped back from 1st to 12th at the beginning and ended 5th. You started 20th and finished right behind him. That's nuts.
I saw that somebody whose name started with "S" had done a really quick lap and thought it was you. I was wondering how you were casually banging in laps like that and not at A+!

@GOTMAXPOWER what's your canadian username? There's a fast Canadian bugger in the north american rooms, Paluwa, starts last no qualy and finishes top 5.
GOTNOBRAKES, I don't race as often there now but will usually run from the back if it's a high downforce race.

For me equipment plays a big role. Larger tv is better. Load cell good pedals mounted rock solid are better. A larger diameter wheel means finer input control=better.
Talent trumps all, but even with lesser talent you can apply good equipment with fundamentally sound technique.
Part of it is knowledge-knowing what sound technique is, what’s the easiest most consistent way to run.
I’m not that talented but I built a foundation based on real world technique and I do pretty well sometimes. People make fun of me for tcs use in some cars but yesterday the NSX racer was a perfect example of how I do business.
He started second, overtook me, so I trolled him a little staying just back-threatening a move under braking-finally he spun it out of Larini trying to get away from me and I went on to win. On replay-watching this guys cockpit, he was a better driver than me in many ways but he was using one of the more difficult cars with no tcs and I wore him down…
I break many “SIM RULES” I don’t left foot brake, I use tcs, and I don’t watch streams except z28 for a race or two.
You can learn more by reading Ross Bentley than you will ever get from a stream, and time spent watching is time you could be practicing or participating in races. Jmo
Also, at some point imo you gotta drive your way.
Drivers all have subtle differences and idiosyncrasies.

To me the cars heavier earlier so you need more grip. If you are starting way back on softs vs others on mediums you have a huge advantage and can overtake.

I always opt for the Lexus with good results but not for this race. The Lexus has major understeer for me, even with a ton of positive brake balance. I just can't do it.

The Lexus needs to never never never brake late. It needs to brake on time. Larini won’t work out if you try to match a GTR.
I found that you gotta give up a tenth or so at Larini but Lexus tcs is better through turn one and outta the snorkel.

Last edited:
I've given up chasing DR and am just concentrating on driving 'unusual' cars.

I've come to the RS01 in Race B and wondering if anyone has any tips for getting the thing round Spa (a) quickly and, more importantly (b) smoothly and in one piece.
Running it at tcs2 and bb-2 using a controller, quali 1:21.4 and would like to find another second.

Back